|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Monsieur le Baron Henri Montes de Montejanos from?
2. Where does Bette convince Wenceslas to go despite Hortense forbidding him from doing so?
3. What piece of art created by Wenceslas is generating extreme criticism from his fellow artists, including Stidman?
4. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
5. Why does Valerie want Baron Hulot to bring Wenceslas to dine with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
2. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
3. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
4. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
5. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
6. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
7. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
8. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
9. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
10. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is irony manifested in Cousin Bette? Choose two examples of irony from the text and explain their classification and significance. How does the use of irony affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of setting in Cousin Bette? Where do the significant scenes take place? In what time period is the novel set? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of social class in Cousin Bette? How does this theme affect the relationship between the characters and advance the plot of the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)