|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Valerie explain her relationship to Montejanos?
2. What bad news does Johann Fischer communicate to Hector Hulot in a letter?
3. After Wenceslas and Hortense quarrel about Valerie Marneffe, where does Lisbeth go to live?
4. Besides leading Wenceslas astray, for what other family disgrace is Baron Hulot responsible?
5. What is happening when the arrival of the Baron Montes de Montejanos is announced?
Short Essay Questions
1. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
2. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
3. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
4. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
5. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
6. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
7. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
8. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
9. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
10. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of women in Cousin Bette? Compare and contrast the roles of Lisbeth and Valerie Marneffe to those of Adeline and Hortense. In what ways are their roles similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the first part of Cousin Bette, the narrator compares the narrative to a classical tragedy. Use specific examples from the text to discuss which elements of classical tragedy are found in the novel and which elements are missing. In your opinion, can Cousin Bette be classified as a tragedy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the author uses several objects for symbolic purposes. Choose two examples of symbols from the text and discuss their significance. How do these symbols relate to the themes and message of Cousin Bette?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)