|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time does Wenceslas arrive home after dining with Valerie Marneffe?
2. Who gives money to Adeline's cook so that she may provide a meal for the family?
3. What does Baron Hulot agree to provide for Valerie Marneffe's second child?
4. After Hector receives bad news from Johann Fischer, what bad news does he receive from Valerie in a letter?
5. How does Lisbeth control Valerie's potential household expenses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
2. Besides the news of the embezzlement scheme in the newspaper, what other news item is featured in the Revue des Beaux-Arts? What is Hortense's reaction to this item?
3. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
4. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
5. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
6. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
7. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
8. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
9. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
10. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between Lisbeth and Valerie Marneffe? Using three examples from the novel, explain how Valerie and Lisbeth's relationship developed over time. Do the two women really care for one another or are they united by malice and spite only? Give details from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How is literary allusion used in Cousin Bette? Choose two examples from the text. What is the significance of these allusions? What messages do they communicate and to what themes do they relate?
Essay Topic 3
How is irony manifested in Cousin Bette? Choose two examples of irony from the text and explain their classification and significance. How does the use of irony affect the tone of the novel?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)