|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Hector receives bad news from Johann Fischer, what bad news does he receive from Valerie in a letter?
2. How does Adeline attempt to console Hortense after her first quarrel with Wenceslas?
3. When Crevel goes to Valerie's flat the morning after his revelation to Hulot, whom does he find at the breakfast table with her?
4. How does Lisbeth control Valerie's potential household expenses?
5. At whose suggestion does Lisbeth change her appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
2. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
3. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
4. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
5. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
6. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
7. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
8. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
9. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
10. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the author uses several objects for symbolic purposes. Choose two examples of symbols from the text and discuss their significance. How do these symbols relate to the themes and message of Cousin Bette?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of women in Cousin Bette? Compare and contrast the roles of Lisbeth and Valerie Marneffe to those of Adeline and Hortense. In what ways are their roles similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of setting in Cousin Bette? Where do the significant scenes take place? In what time period is the novel set? Why is this significant?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)