|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which biblical figures does Valerie ask Wenceslas to sculpt for her?
2. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
3. After Hector receives bad news from Johann Fischer, what bad news does he receive from Valerie in a letter?
4. After Wenceslas and Hortense quarrel about Valerie Marneffe, where does Lisbeth go to live?
5. Lisbeth offers to arrange a loan on good terms for Hortense and Wenceslas from whom?
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of setting in Cousin Bette? Where do the significant scenes take place? In what time period is the novel set? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 2
How are both internal and external conflicts manifested in the novel? Choose an example of each type and analyze the significance of each as an element of the plot of Cousin Bette. How do these conflicts contribute to the overall message of the text?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrator of Cousin Bette. In what mode is the story narrated? How does this affect the major themes of the novel? How does the narrator relate to literary realism?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)