|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives money to Adeline's cook so that she may provide a meal for the family?
2. Lisbeth offers to arrange a loan on good terms for Hortense and Wenceslas from whom?
3. How do Crevel and Hulot feel about Montejanos' arrival?
4. How long after moving to the Rue Vaneau does Valerie wait before receiving Monsieur Crevel?
5. How many beauty spots does Valerie Marneffe arrange on her person for her first meeting with Wenceslas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
2. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
3. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
4. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
5. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
6. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
7. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
8. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
9. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
10. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A major theme in Cousin Bette is that of forgiveness. Choose three examples from the text and analyze the outcomes of these acts. What is the message the text communicates about forgiveness?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of social class in Cousin Bette? How does this theme affect the relationship between the characters and advance the plot of the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Morality is a significant theme in Cousin Bette. What message does the novel convey about morality? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)