|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stidman try to stay away from Wenceslas' house?
2. At what time does Wenceslas arrive home after dining with Valerie Marneffe?
3. How does Lisbeth control Valerie's potential household expenses?
4. Where does Bette convince Wenceslas to go despite Hortense forbidding him from doing so?
5. Who is the third man to whom Valerie Marneffe tells he is going to be the father of her child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
2. What has happened to Wenceslas professionally in the three years since he has married Hortense? To what is this change attributed?
3. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
4. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
5. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
6. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
7. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
8. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
9. Besides the news of the embezzlement scheme in the newspaper, what other news item is featured in the Revue des Beaux-Arts? What is Hortense's reaction to this item?
10. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are both internal and external conflicts manifested in the novel? Choose an example of each type and analyze the significance of each as an element of the plot of Cousin Bette. How do these conflicts contribute to the overall message of the text?
Essay Topic 2
How is irony manifested in Cousin Bette? Choose two examples of irony from the text and explain their classification and significance. How does the use of irony affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of deception is highlighted throughout the novel Cousin Bette. Choose three examples of deception from the novel and analyze the events and characters to which they relate. What message about deception and truth is conveyed in the novel?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)