|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Wenceslas and Hortense quarrel about Valerie Marneffe, where does Lisbeth go to live?
2. Where does Wenceslas tell Hortense he plans to go early the next morning following his dinner with Valerie?
3. When Crevel goes to Valerie's flat the morning after his revelation to Hulot, whom does he find at the breakfast table with her?
4. What does Hortense tell Wenceslas she would have done in retribution if she had discovered that he was having an affair after their first quarrel?
5. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
2. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
3. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
4. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
5. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
6. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
7. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
8. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
9. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
10. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A major theme in Cousin Bette is that of forgiveness. Choose three examples from the text and analyze the outcomes of these acts. What is the message the text communicates about forgiveness?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of Cousin Bette. Does the novel have an open or closed ending? How are the major conflicts resolved? What does this reflect about the message of the text?
Essay Topic 3
How are letters used as a literary device in Cousin Bette? Choose three examples from the text and discuss what information is revealed in each of these letters. Why is this information revealed in a letter rather than a dialogue? How is the materiality of the letter itself important in the advancement of the narrative?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)