|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hortense decide to do after she receives proof of Wenceslas' infidelity?
2. When the quartermaster arrives to speak privately with Hector, what does he expect the man has brought for him?
3. What complaint does Lisbeth have when the Baron goes to her flat looking for Valerie?
4. What does Baron Hulot agree to provide for Valerie Marneffe's second child?
5. Who inadvertently informs Hortense that Wenceslas had lied to her about his whereabouts the evening that he dined with Valerie Marneffe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
2. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
3. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
4. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
5. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
6. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
7. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
8. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
9. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
10. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money has a significant role throughout Cousin Bette. Give three examples from the novel in which money significantly alters the plot of the novel and directly affects the protagonist. How is money a characteristic of the Realist novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of women in Cousin Bette? Compare and contrast the roles of Lisbeth and Valerie Marneffe to those of Adeline and Hortense. In what ways are their roles similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
How is literary allusion used in Cousin Bette? Choose two examples from the text. What is the significance of these allusions? What messages do they communicate and to what themes do they relate?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)