Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which biblical figures does Valerie ask Wenceslas to sculpt for her?
2. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
3. After Hector receives bad news from Johann Fischer, what bad news does he receive from Valerie in a letter?
4. After Wenceslas and Hortense quarrel about Valerie Marneffe, where does Lisbeth go to live?
5. Lisbeth offers to arrange a loan on good terms for Hortense and Wenceslas from whom?
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the first part of Cousin Bette, the narrator compares the narrative to a classical tragedy. Use specific examples from the text to discuss which elements of classical tragedy are found in the novel and which elements are missing. In your opinion, can Cousin Bette be classified as a tragedy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How is irony manifested in Cousin Bette? Choose two examples of irony from the text and explain their classification and significance. How does the use of irony affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What elements of Cousin Bette characterize this work as a Realist novel? How does this work exemplify literary realism? Give two specific examples from the text.
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)