|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Wenceslas and Hortense quarrel about Valerie Marneffe, where does Lisbeth go to live?
2. Lisbeth offers to arrange a loan on good terms for Hortense and Wenceslas from whom?
3. How does Hortense react upon learning that Wenceslas has lied to her about his whereabouts?
4. What does Crevel give to Valerie in exchange for her promise of being his exclusively?
5. What bad news does Johann Fischer communicate to Hector Hulot in a letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
2. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
3. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
4. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
5. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
6. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
7. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
8. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
9. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
10. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is an important device employed in Cousin Bette. How does the author employ this device? What purpose does it serve? Use three specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Pride is a significant theme in Cousin Bette. What is the message conveyed about pride in this novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the author uses several objects for symbolic purposes. Choose two examples of symbols from the text and discuss their significance. How do these symbols relate to the themes and message of Cousin Bette?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)