|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the silver group ordered by Valerie?
2. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
3. Whose post in the War Ministry does Baron Hulot attempt to obtain for Marneffe?
4. At what time does Wenceslas arrive home after dining with Valerie Marneffe?
5. What does Hortense tell Wenceslas she would have done in retribution if she had discovered that he was having an affair after their first quarrel?
Short Essay Questions
1. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
2. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
3. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
4. What has happened to Wenceslas professionally in the three years since he has married Hortense? To what is this change attributed?
5. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
6. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
7. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
8. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
9. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
10. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of Cousin Bette. Does the novel have an open or closed ending? How are the major conflicts resolved? What does this reflect about the message of the text?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of social class in Cousin Bette? How does this theme affect the relationship between the characters and advance the plot of the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of women in Cousin Bette? Compare and contrast the roles of Lisbeth and Valerie Marneffe to those of Adeline and Hortense. In what ways are their roles similar? How are they different?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)