|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Hector receives bad news from Johann Fischer, what bad news does he receive from Valerie in a letter?
2. Who inadvertently informs Hortense that Wenceslas had lied to her about his whereabouts the evening that he dined with Valerie Marneffe?
3. What does Hortense decide to do after she receives proof of Wenceslas' infidelity?
4. What does Wenceslas produce in the early part of his marriage in addition to and contrasting with the statue he has been hired to design by the Prince of Wissembourg?
5. Whom does Lisbeth dream of marrying?
Essay Topic 1
How are letters used as a literary device in Cousin Bette? Choose three examples from the text and discuss what information is revealed in each of these letters. Why is this information revealed in a letter rather than a dialogue? How is the materiality of the letter itself important in the advancement of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
How does the conflict "man versus man" appear in Cousin Bette? Give three specific examples from the text. Are these conflicts resolved? How does this type of conflict relate to the message of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of women in Cousin Bette? Compare and contrast the roles of Lisbeth and Valerie Marneffe to those of Adeline and Hortense. In what ways are their roles similar? How are they different?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)