|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stidman tell Wenceslas to get him to leave his second meeting with Valerie and return home?
2. Who is the third man to whom Valerie Marneffe tells he is going to be the father of her child?
3. What does Baron Hulot agree to provide for Valerie Marneffe's second child?
4. What is happening when the arrival of the Baron Montes de Montejanos is announced?
5. Where does Wenceslas tell Hortense he plans to go early the next morning following his dinner with Valerie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides the news of the embezzlement scheme in the newspaper, what other news item is featured in the Revue des Beaux-Arts? What is Hortense's reaction to this item?
2. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
3. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
4. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
5. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
6. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
7. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
8. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
9. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
10. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is an important device employed in Cousin Bette. How does the author employ this device? What purpose does it serve? Use three specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of women in Cousin Bette? Compare and contrast the roles of Lisbeth and Valerie Marneffe to those of Adeline and Hortense. In what ways are their roles similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of Cousin Bette. Does the novel have an open or closed ending? How are the major conflicts resolved? What does this reflect about the message of the text?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)