|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose post in the War Ministry does Baron Hulot attempt to obtain for Marneffe?
2. How long after moving to the Rue Vaneau does Valerie wait before receiving Monsieur Crevel?
3. At what time does Wenceslas arrive home after dining with Valerie Marneffe?
4. What circumstances led to Stidman's introduction to Valerie in the Rue Vaneau?
5. What does Stidman tell Wenceslas to get him to leave his second meeting with Valerie and return home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
2. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
3. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
4. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
5. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
6. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
7. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
8. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
9. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
10. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of social class in Cousin Bette? How does this theme affect the relationship between the characters and advance the plot of the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of deception is highlighted throughout the novel Cousin Bette. Choose three examples of deception from the novel and analyze the events and characters to which they relate. What message about deception and truth is conveyed in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is irony manifested in Cousin Bette? Choose two examples of irony from the text and explain their classification and significance. How does the use of irony affect the tone of the novel?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)