|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
2. What circumstances led to Stidman's introduction to Valerie in the Rue Vaneau?
3. What does Monsieur Crevel give Valerie in exchange for her company?
4. Whom does Lisbeth dream of marrying?
5. What bad news does Johann Fischer communicate to Hector Hulot in a letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrator of Cousin Bette. In what mode is the story narrated? How does this affect the major themes of the novel? How does the narrator relate to literary realism?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is an important device employed in Cousin Bette. How does the author employ this device? What purpose does it serve? Use three specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of Cousin Bette. Does the novel have an open or closed ending? How are the major conflicts resolved? What does this reflect about the message of the text?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)