|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose post in the War Ministry does Baron Hulot attempt to obtain for Marneffe?
2. How much does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the silver group ordered by Valerie?
3. How does Hortense react upon learning that Wenceslas has lied to her about his whereabouts?
4. At what time does Wenceslas arrive home after dining with Valerie Marneffe?
5. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
Short Essay Questions
1. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
2. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
3. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
4. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
5. What has happened to Wenceslas professionally in the three years since he has married Hortense? To what is this change attributed?
6. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
7. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
8. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
9. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
10. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of setting in Cousin Bette? Where do the significant scenes take place? In what time period is the novel set? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the author uses several objects for symbolic purposes. Choose two examples of symbols from the text and discuss their significance. How do these symbols relate to the themes and message of Cousin Bette?
Essay Topic 3
Pride is a significant theme in Cousin Bette. What is the message conveyed about pride in this novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)