|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive?
2. What complaint does Lisbeth have when the Baron goes to her flat looking for Valerie?
3. Who inadvertently informs Hortense that Wenceslas had lied to her about his whereabouts the evening that he dined with Valerie Marneffe?
4. How many beauty spots does Valerie Marneffe arrange on her person for her first meeting with Wenceslas?
5. What does Hortense tell Wenceslas she would have done in retribution if she had discovered that he was having an affair after their first quarrel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides the news of the embezzlement scheme in the newspaper, what other news item is featured in the Revue des Beaux-Arts? What is Hortense's reaction to this item?
2. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
3. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
4. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
5. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
6. What has happened to Wenceslas professionally in the three years since he has married Hortense? To what is this change attributed?
7. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
8. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
9. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
10. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money has a significant role throughout Cousin Bette. Give three examples from the novel in which money significantly alters the plot of the novel and directly affects the protagonist. How is money a characteristic of the Realist novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does the conflict "man versus man" appear in Cousin Bette? Give three specific examples from the text. Are these conflicts resolved? How does this type of conflict relate to the message of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is literary allusion used in Cousin Bette? Choose two examples from the text. What is the significance of these allusions? What messages do they communicate and to what themes do they relate?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)