|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lisbeth offers to arrange a loan on good terms for Hortense and Wenceslas from whom?
2. Where does Valerie mention having seen Wenceslas in person before their first formal meeting in her house?
3. How much does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the silver group ordered by Valerie?
4. Where does Wenceslas tell Hortense he plans to go early the next morning following his dinner with Valerie?
5. What does Monsieur Crevel give Valerie in exchange for her company?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
2. Besides the news of the embezzlement scheme in the newspaper, what other news item is featured in the Revue des Beaux-Arts? What is Hortense's reaction to this item?
3. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
4. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
5. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
6. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
7. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
8. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
9. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
10. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money has a significant role throughout Cousin Bette. Give three examples from the novel in which money significantly alters the plot of the novel and directly affects the protagonist. How is money a characteristic of the Realist novel?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the author uses several objects for symbolic purposes. Choose two examples of symbols from the text and discuss their significance. How do these symbols relate to the themes and message of Cousin Bette?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of Cousin Bette. Does the novel have an open or closed ending? How are the major conflicts resolved? What does this reflect about the message of the text?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)