|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Early in their relationship, who refuses to accompany the Baron to Valerie's house despite her entreaties?
2. Who gives money to Adeline's cook so that she may provide a meal for the family?
3. What does Stidman tell Wenceslas to get him to leave his second meeting with Valerie and return home?
4. Who intercepts the letter that Valerie writes to Wenceslas?
5. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
2. Besides the news of the embezzlement scheme in the newspaper, what other news item is featured in the Revue des Beaux-Arts? What is Hortense's reaction to this item?
3. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
4. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
5. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
6. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
7. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
8. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
9. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
10. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of setting in Cousin Bette? Where do the significant scenes take place? In what time period is the novel set? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the author uses several objects for symbolic purposes. Choose two examples of symbols from the text and discuss their significance. How do these symbols relate to the themes and message of Cousin Bette?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between Lisbeth and Valerie Marneffe? Using three examples from the novel, explain how Valerie and Lisbeth's relationship developed over time. Do the two women really care for one another or are they united by malice and spite only? Give details from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)