|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lisbeth control Valerie's potential household expenses?
2. How does Hortense react upon learning that Wenceslas has lied to her about his whereabouts?
3. At whose suggestion does Lisbeth change her appearance?
4. Where does Bette convince Wenceslas to go despite Hortense forbidding him from doing so?
5. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
Short Essay Questions
1. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
2. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
3. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
4. What has happened to Wenceslas professionally in the three years since he has married Hortense? To what is this change attributed?
5. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
6. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
7. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
8. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
9. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
10. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pride is a significant theme in Cousin Bette. What is the message conveyed about pride in this novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How is irony manifested in Cousin Bette? Choose two examples of irony from the text and explain their classification and significance. How does the use of irony affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is literary allusion used in Cousin Bette? Choose two examples from the text. What is the significance of these allusions? What messages do they communicate and to what themes do they relate?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)