|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Crevel give to Valerie in exchange for her promise of being his exclusively?
2. Why does Stidman try to stay away from Wenceslas' house?
3. When Hector Hulot returns home from Valerie's house after hearing of the problem between Wenceslas and Hortense, what does he discover Adeline doing?
4. When Wenceslas returns home and is confronted by Hortnese, whom does he claim has lent him ten thousand francs?
5. What circumstances led to Stidman's introduction to Valerie in the Rue Vaneau?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of setting in Cousin Bette? Where do the significant scenes take place? In what time period is the novel set? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of Cousin Bette. Does the novel have an open or closed ending? How are the major conflicts resolved? What does this reflect about the message of the text?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is an important device employed in Cousin Bette. How does the author employ this device? What purpose does it serve? Use three specific examples from the text.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)