|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Crevel goes to Valerie's flat the morning after his revelation to Hulot, whom does he find at the breakfast table with her?
2. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive?
3. What complaint does Lisbeth have when the Baron goes to her flat looking for Valerie?
4. Where does Wenceslas tell Hortense he plans to go early the next morning following his dinner with Valerie?
5. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
2. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
3. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
4. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
5. Besides the news of the embezzlement scheme in the newspaper, what other news item is featured in the Revue des Beaux-Arts? What is Hortense's reaction to this item?
6. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
7. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
8. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
9. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
10. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of social class in Cousin Bette? How does this theme affect the relationship between the characters and advance the plot of the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Pride is a significant theme in Cousin Bette. What is the message conveyed about pride in this novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
A major theme in Cousin Bette is that of forgiveness. Choose three examples from the text and analyze the outcomes of these acts. What is the message the text communicates about forgiveness?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)