|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the third man to whom Valerie Marneffe tells he is going to be the father of her child?
2. To whom does Adeline give the little money she has received from the Baron, thereby depriving herself even of food?
3. What circumstances led to Stidman's introduction to Valerie in the Rue Vaneau?
4. What does Baron Hulot agree to provide for Valerie Marneffe's second child?
5. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
2. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
3. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
4. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
5. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
6. Besides the news of the embezzlement scheme in the newspaper, what other news item is featured in the Revue des Beaux-Arts? What is Hortense's reaction to this item?
7. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
8. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
9. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
10. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Morality is a significant theme in Cousin Bette. What message does the novel convey about morality? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Pride is a significant theme in Cousin Bette. What is the message conveyed about pride in this novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of social class in Cousin Bette? How does this theme affect the relationship between the characters and advance the plot of the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)