Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which biblical figures does Valerie ask Wenceslas to sculpt for her?
2. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
3. After Hector receives bad news from Johann Fischer, what bad news does he receive from Valerie in a letter?
4. After Wenceslas and Hortense quarrel about Valerie Marneffe, where does Lisbeth go to live?
5. Lisbeth offers to arrange a loan on good terms for Hortense and Wenceslas from whom?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of Cousin Bette. Does the novel have an open or closed ending? How are the major conflicts resolved? What does this reflect about the message of the text?
Essay Topic 2
A major theme in Cousin Bette is that of forgiveness. Choose three examples from the text and analyze the outcomes of these acts. What is the message the text communicates about forgiveness?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrator of Cousin Bette. In what mode is the story narrated? How does this affect the major themes of the novel? How does the narrator relate to literary realism?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)