|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Valerie explain her relationship to Montejanos?
2. Whose post in the War Ministry does Baron Hulot attempt to obtain for Marneffe?
3. Who intercepts the letter that Valerie writes to Wenceslas?
4. What does Hortense decide to do after she receives proof of Wenceslas' infidelity?
5. Where does Bette convince Wenceslas to go despite Hortense forbidding him from doing so?
Short Essay Questions
1. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
2. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
3. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
4. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
5. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
6. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
7. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
8. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
9. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
10. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the author uses several objects for symbolic purposes. Choose two examples of symbols from the text and discuss their significance. How do these symbols relate to the themes and message of Cousin Bette?
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of setting in Cousin Bette? Where do the significant scenes take place? In what time period is the novel set? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of social class in Cousin Bette? How does this theme affect the relationship between the characters and advance the plot of the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)