|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Valerie reveal to Wenceslas in the first letter she writes to him?
2. What does Hortense tell Wenceslas she would have done in retribution if she had discovered that he was having an affair after their first quarrel?
3. What piece of evidence does Crevel provide the Baron with to prove his clandestine meetings with Valerie in his little house on the Rue du Dauphin?
4. When Hector Hulot returns home from Valerie's house after hearing of the problem between Wenceslas and Hortense, what does he discover Adeline doing?
5. What does Stidman tell Wenceslas to get him to leave his second meeting with Valerie and return home?
Essay Topic 1
How does the conflict "man versus man" appear in Cousin Bette? Give three specific examples from the text. Are these conflicts resolved? How does this type of conflict relate to the message of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How are letters used as a literary device in Cousin Bette? Choose three examples from the text and discuss what information is revealed in each of these letters. Why is this information revealed in a letter rather than a dialogue? How is the materiality of the letter itself important in the advancement of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrator of Cousin Bette. In what mode is the story narrated? How does this affect the major themes of the novel? How does the narrator relate to literary realism?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)