|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lisbeth control Valerie's potential household expenses?
2. Who intercepts the letter that Valerie writes to Wenceslas?
3. What is Vauvinet's profession?
4. To whom does Adeline give the little money she has received from the Baron, thereby depriving herself even of food?
5. What does Monsieur Marneffe do when Hector tries to enter his house after receiving Valerie's letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
2. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
3. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
4. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
5. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
6. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
7. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
8. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
9. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
10. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the conflict "man versus man" appear in Cousin Bette? Give three specific examples from the text. Are these conflicts resolved? How does this type of conflict relate to the message of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrator of Cousin Bette. In what mode is the story narrated? How does this affect the major themes of the novel? How does the narrator relate to literary realism?
Essay Topic 3
How is irony manifested in Cousin Bette? Choose two examples of irony from the text and explain their classification and significance. How does the use of irony affect the tone of the novel?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)