|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who intercepts the letter that Valerie writes to Wenceslas?
2. What significant change to his appearance does Valerie induce Baron Hulot to make?
3. Why does Valerie want Baron Hulot to bring Wenceslas to dine with them?
4. What news does Valerie reveal to Wenceslas in the first letter she writes to him?
5. What complaint does Lisbeth have when the Baron goes to her flat looking for Valerie?
Short Essay Questions
1. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
2. Besides the news of the embezzlement scheme in the newspaper, what other news item is featured in the Revue des Beaux-Arts? What is Hortense's reaction to this item?
3. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
4. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
5. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
6. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
7. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
8. What has happened to Wenceslas professionally in the three years since he has married Hortense? To what is this change attributed?
9. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
10. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of Cousin Bette. Does the novel have an open or closed ending? How are the major conflicts resolved? What does this reflect about the message of the text?
Essay Topic 2
How does the conflict "man versus man" appear in Cousin Bette? Give three specific examples from the text. Are these conflicts resolved? How does this type of conflict relate to the message of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is literary allusion used in Cousin Bette? Choose two examples from the text. What is the significance of these allusions? What messages do they communicate and to what themes do they relate?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)