Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Lisbeth on good terms in all of the houses she frequents?
2. How long has Monsieur Crevel been a widower?
3. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison?
4. Why does the Baron want Lisbeth to move to the Rue Vaneau?
5. According to the narrator, what is the fundamental feature of Lisbeth's character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
2. What proof does Lisbeth provide of the existence of her admirer? What does she receive from Hortense in exchange for this information?
3. What two events in Valerie Marneffe's life in March of 1843 take place? What does this mean for Valerie?
4. Whom does Wenceslas see when he returns home? Whom does he say has purchased his bronze group and offered him work?
5. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
6. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
7. How has Crevel changed since his first meeting with Adeline? How has the situation between them changed? How does this affect the outcome of the meeting?
8. Whom does Victorin hire to resolve his problem with Valerie Marneffe and Celestin Crevel? How much does he agree to pay to take care of this problem?
9. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
10. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
Essay Topic 1
The theme of deception is highlighted throughout the novel Cousin Bette. Choose three examples of deception from the novel and analyze the events and characters to which they relate. What message about deception and truth is conveyed in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How are both internal and external conflicts manifested in the novel? Choose an example of each type and analyze the significance of each as an element of the plot of Cousin Bette. How do these conflicts contribute to the overall message of the text?
Essay Topic 3
What elements of Cousin Bette characterize this work as a Realist novel? How does this work exemplify literary realism? Give two specific examples from the text.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)