|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the difference in age between Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot?
2. What subject does Lisbeth's beau teach?
3. How do Monsieur Hulot and Monsieur Crevel become acquainted?
4. Who is Jenny Cadine's protector?
5. Why is cousin Bette not accepted in society?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lisbeth meet Wenceslas in the first place? What is the relationship between them after this first meeting?
2. What does Lisbeth tell Hortense and Adeline has happened to Wenceslas? How does Hortense react? How is Bette's lie discovered?
3. Describe Lisbeth. How old is she? How does she dress? How does this affect her social standing in comparison to her cousin, the Baroness?
4. How do Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot know one another? How are they related? What occasioned their falling out?
5. After Wenceslas sells his bronze group, who comes to visit Lisbeth at her flat? What is the purpose of this visit?
6. What does Lisbeth advise Wenceslas to do after the visit from Monsieur Grasset and what reason does she give for this? What does she promise to do?
7. With whom does Lisbeth discuss the Baron's fascination with Valerie Marneffe? According to Lisbeth, what has Baron Hulot done to win her favor?
8. Whom does Hortense decide to marry? What is the relationship between Hortense's intended and Lisbeth? Why does Baron Hulot tell her that Cousin Bette will not be an obstacle to Hortense's intended marriage?
9. Who is Valerie Marneffe's father? Why does she inherit nothing upon his death?
10. What plan do Lisbeth and Hortense agree upon to help out Lisbeth's admirer? Who accompanies Hortense on this mission? Whom does her escort take notice of during this venture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A major theme in Cousin Bette is that of forgiveness. Choose three examples from the text and analyze the outcomes of these acts. What is the message the text communicates about forgiveness?
Essay Topic 2
How are letters used as a literary device in Cousin Bette? Choose three examples from the text and discuss what information is revealed in each of these letters. Why is this information revealed in a letter rather than a dialogue? How is the materiality of the letter itself important in the advancement of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Money has a significant role throughout Cousin Bette. Give three examples from the novel in which money significantly alters the plot of the novel and directly affects the protagonist. How is money a characteristic of the Realist novel?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)