|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Wenceslas tell Lisbeth has purchased his group?
2. What particular significance does the name d'Ervy have to the Baron?
3. Who is Madame Marneffe's father?
4. How many suitors has Lisbeth rejected?
5. What happens just as Lisbeth is about to set up her own business?
Short Essay Questions
1. What solution does Monsieur Crevel propose to the Baroness for the problem of Hortense's dowry? What other options does he tell her she has available to her?
2. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
3. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
4. What are Adeline's dying words to Hector? Why is this significant?
5. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
6. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
7. How do Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot know one another? How are they related? What occasioned their falling out?
8. Where does the Baron go after he finds the opera to be closed? What does he learn when he arrives there?
9. Whom does Hortense decide to marry? What is the relationship between Hortense's intended and Lisbeth? Why does Baron Hulot tell her that Cousin Bette will not be an obstacle to Hortense's intended marriage?
10. Does Crevel have the 200,000 francs to loan to Adeline? What is his money intended for originally? What does he ultimately do with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are letters used as a literary device in Cousin Bette? Choose three examples from the text and discuss what information is revealed in each of these letters. Why is this information revealed in a letter rather than a dialogue? How is the materiality of the letter itself important in the advancement of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Pride is a significant theme in Cousin Bette. What is the message conveyed about pride in this novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrator of Cousin Bette. In what mode is the story narrated? How does this affect the major themes of the novel? How does the narrator relate to literary realism?
This section contains 1,542 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)