|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Baron decide to give Lisbeth a trade?
2. Which country does Monsieur Crevel dream of visiting?
3. Who informs Lisbeth that Wenceslas is to marry Hortense?
4. What word means animal of the rocks or chamois?
5. According to the narrator, what is the fundamental feature of Lisbeth's character?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
2. Whom does Wenceslas see when he returns home? Whom does he say has purchased his bronze group and offered him work?
3. Where does Monsieur Grasset take Wenceslas? Why does this happen to the young artist?
4. After Wenceslas sells his bronze group, who comes to visit Lisbeth at her flat? What is the purpose of this visit?
5. How does Lisbeth meet Wenceslas in the first place? What is the relationship between them after this first meeting?
6. What proof does Lisbeth provide of the existence of her admirer? What does she receive from Hortense in exchange for this information?
7. Whom does Hortense decide to marry? What is the relationship between Hortense's intended and Lisbeth? Why does Baron Hulot tell her that Cousin Bette will not be an obstacle to Hortense's intended marriage?
8. What does Lisbeth tell Hortense and Adeline has happened to Wenceslas? How does Hortense react? How is Bette's lie discovered?
9. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
10. What does Lisbeth advise Wenceslas to do after the visit from Monsieur Grasset and what reason does she give for this? What does she promise to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are both internal and external conflicts manifested in the novel? Choose an example of each type and analyze the significance of each as an element of the plot of Cousin Bette. How do these conflicts contribute to the overall message of the text?
Essay Topic 2
How is literary allusion used in Cousin Bette? Choose two examples from the text. What is the significance of these allusions? What messages do they communicate and to what themes do they relate?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of Cousin Bette. Does the novel have an open or closed ending? How are the major conflicts resolved? What does this reflect about the message of the text?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)