|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of Cousin Bette?
2. How long had Lisbeth's beau been working on the figurine she shows to Hortense?
3. To what animal does Monsieur Crevel compare Mademoiselle Hortense in his conversation with the Baroness?
4. Where does the Baroness come from?
5. Which country does Monsieur Crevel dream of visiting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the first character introduced in the novel? What information is surmised about his age? How is this information revealed?
2. Whom does Hortense decide to marry? What is the relationship between Hortense's intended and Lisbeth? Why does Baron Hulot tell her that Cousin Bette will not be an obstacle to Hortense's intended marriage?
3. How do Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot know one another? How are they related? What occasioned their falling out?
4. Who is Valerie Marneffe's father? Why does she inherit nothing upon his death?
5. After Wenceslas sells his bronze group, who comes to visit Lisbeth at her flat? What is the purpose of this visit?
6. What solution does Monsieur Crevel propose to the Baroness for the problem of Hortense's dowry? What other options does he tell her she has available to her?
7. With whom does Lisbeth discuss the Baron's fascination with Valerie Marneffe? According to Lisbeth, what has Baron Hulot done to win her favor?
8. What does Lisbeth advise Wenceslas to do after the visit from Monsieur Grasset and what reason does she give for this? What does she promise to do?
9. How does Lisbeth meet Wenceslas in the first place? What is the relationship between them after this first meeting?
10. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of deception is highlighted throughout the novel Cousin Bette. Choose three examples of deception from the novel and analyze the events and characters to which they relate. What message about deception and truth is conveyed in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is an important device employed in Cousin Bette. How does the author employ this device? What purpose does it serve? Use three specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Pride is a significant theme in Cousin Bette. What is the message conveyed about pride in this novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)