|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the difference in age between Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot?
2. What happens just as Lisbeth is about to set up her own business?
3. What nickname does the Baron give to Lisbeth?
4. According to the narrator, what is the fundamental feature of Lisbeth's character?
5. What gift does the Emperor bestow on the Baroness when she is a young woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What brings about the argument between Montejanos and Valerie? Who schemes to have this scene play out as it does?
2. What does Baron Hulot do after his wife's death? When does Victorin next hear news of him and what is the news that he receives?
3. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
4. Besides the news of the embezzlement scheme in the newspaper, what other news item is featured in the Revue des Beaux-Arts? What is Hortense's reaction to this item?
5. What does Celestine inherit from her father? To whom does Madame Valerie Crevel leave 300,000 francs in her will?
6. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
7. What plan do Lisbeth and Hortense agree upon to help out Lisbeth's admirer? Who accompanies Hortense on this mission? Whom does her escort take notice of during this venture?
8. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
9. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
10. Where does the Baron go after he finds the opera to be closed? What does he learn when he arrives there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Morality is a significant theme in Cousin Bette. What message does the novel convey about morality? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of social class in Cousin Bette? How does this theme affect the relationship between the characters and advance the plot of the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between Lisbeth and Valerie Marneffe? Using three examples from the novel, explain how Valerie and Lisbeth's relationship developed over time. Do the two women really care for one another or are they united by malice and spite only? Give details from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,548 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)