|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author dedicates the novel to a scholar who studies which writer?
2. Who steals Lisbeth's admirer?
3. Why does the Baron decide to give Lisbeth a trade?
4. What nickname does the Baron give to Lisbeth?
5. What does Monsieur Crevel suggest that Madame Hulot do to obtain a dowry for her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Wenceslas see when he returns home? Whom does he say has purchased his bronze group and offered him work?
2. What information about Wenceslas' professional life does Valerie give to Lisbeth? What information about Wenceslas' personal life does she give Lisbeth? How does Lisbeth react to this news?
3. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
4. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
5. What plan do Lisbeth and Hortense agree upon to help out Lisbeth's admirer? Who accompanies Hortense on this mission? Whom does her escort take notice of during this venture?
6. Who is the first character introduced in the novel? What information is surmised about his age? How is this information revealed?
7. What does Lisbeth advise Wenceslas to do after the visit from Monsieur Grasset and what reason does she give for this? What does she promise to do?
8. Describe Lisbeth. How old is she? How does she dress? How does this affect her social standing in comparison to her cousin, the Baroness?
9. Where does Monsieur Grasset take Wenceslas? Why does this happen to the young artist?
10. How does Lisbeth meet Wenceslas in the first place? What is the relationship between them after this first meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What elements of Cousin Bette characterize this work as a Realist novel? How does this work exemplify literary realism? Give two specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of women in Cousin Bette? Compare and contrast the roles of Lisbeth and Valerie Marneffe to those of Adeline and Hortense. In what ways are their roles similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Morality is a significant theme in Cousin Bette. What message does the novel convey about morality? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)