|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had been Monsieur Crevel's profession?
2. What reason does Lisbeth give Wenceslas to convince him not to write to anyone from jail about his predicament?
3. What name does Monsieur Crevel give to the modern parable of Monsieur Hulot and his family?
4. What is the amount of Mademoiselle Hortense's dowry expected to be?
5. How many suitors has Lisbeth rejected?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
2. How does Marshal Hulot atone for his brother's actions? What happens to him three days after taking this measure?
3. What brings about the argument between Montejanos and Valerie? Who schemes to have this scene play out as it does?
4. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
5. What two events in Valerie Marneffe's life in March of 1843 take place? What does this mean for Valerie?
6. What plan do Lisbeth and Hortense agree upon to help out Lisbeth's admirer? Who accompanies Hortense on this mission? Whom does her escort take notice of during this venture?
7. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
8. What does Baron Hulot do after his wife's death? When does Victorin next hear news of him and what is the news that he receives?
9. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
10. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
Essay Topic 1
Money has a significant role throughout Cousin Bette. Give three examples from the novel in which money significantly alters the plot of the novel and directly affects the protagonist. How is money a characteristic of the Realist novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrator of Cousin Bette. In what mode is the story narrated? How does this affect the major themes of the novel? How does the narrator relate to literary realism?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of women in Cousin Bette? Compare and contrast the roles of Lisbeth and Valerie Marneffe to those of Adeline and Hortense. In what ways are their roles similar? How are they different?
This section contains 1,541 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)