|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is cousin Bette not accepted in society?
2. Who sees Monsieur Hulot in a front stall at the Varietes with Jenny Cadine?
3. To what animal does Monsieur Crevel compare Mademoiselle Hortense in his conversation with the Baroness?
4. To whom is Lisbeth apprenticed by the Baron?
5. What happens just as Lisbeth is about to set up her own business?
Short Essay Questions
1. What solution does Monsieur Crevel propose to the Baroness for the problem of Hortense's dowry? What other options does he tell her she has available to her?
2. Whom does Wenceslas see when he returns home? Whom does he say has purchased his bronze group and offered him work?
3. What plan do Lisbeth and Hortense agree upon to help out Lisbeth's admirer? Who accompanies Hortense on this mission? Whom does her escort take notice of during this venture?
4. Who is Valerie Marneffe's father? Why does she inherit nothing upon his death?
5. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
6. After Wenceslas sells his bronze group, who comes to visit Lisbeth at her flat? What is the purpose of this visit?
7. What proof does Lisbeth provide of the existence of her admirer? What does she receive from Hortense in exchange for this information?
8. What does Lisbeth advise Wenceslas to do after the visit from Monsieur Grasset and what reason does she give for this? What does she promise to do?
9. Who is the first character introduced in the novel? What information is surmised about his age? How is this information revealed?
10. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison? How does Wenceslas find out this information?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the conflict "man versus man" appear in Cousin Bette? Give three specific examples from the text. Are these conflicts resolved? How does this type of conflict relate to the message of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What elements of Cousin Bette characterize this work as a Realist novel? How does this work exemplify literary realism? Give two specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
A major theme in Cousin Bette is that of forgiveness. Choose three examples from the text and analyze the outcomes of these acts. What is the message the text communicates about forgiveness?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)