|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had Lisbeth's beau been working on the figurine she shows to Hortense?
2. What year does the novel take place?
3. How much older is the Baroness than her cousin Bette?
4. In his dedication, to what job does the author compare his work as a novelist?
5. Why does the Baron want Lisbeth to move to the Rue Vaneau?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lisbeth. How old is she? How does she dress? How does this affect her social standing in comparison to her cousin, the Baroness?
2. With whom does Lisbeth discuss the Baron's fascination with Valerie Marneffe? According to Lisbeth, what has Baron Hulot done to win her favor?
3. What does Lisbeth tell Hortense and Adeline has happened to Wenceslas? How does Hortense react? How is Bette's lie discovered?
4. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
5. Whom does Wenceslas see when he returns home? Whom does he say has purchased his bronze group and offered him work?
6. Where does the Baron go after he finds the opera to be closed? What does he learn when he arrives there?
7. What does Lisbeth advise Wenceslas to do after the visit from Monsieur Grasset and what reason does she give for this? What does she promise to do?
8. Who is Valerie Marneffe's father? Why does she inherit nothing upon his death?
9. Who is the first character introduced in the novel? What information is surmised about his age? How is this information revealed?
10. What information about Wenceslas' professional life does Valerie give to Lisbeth? What information about Wenceslas' personal life does she give Lisbeth? How does Lisbeth react to this news?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is irony manifested in Cousin Bette? Choose two examples of irony from the text and explain their classification and significance. How does the use of irony affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Morality is a significant theme in Cousin Bette. What message does the novel convey about morality? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
A major theme in Cousin Bette is that of forgiveness. Choose three examples from the text and analyze the outcomes of these acts. What is the message the text communicates about forgiveness?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)