|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Lisbeth give Hortense and the Baroness for Wenceslas' decision to go to Russia?
2. Why does the Baron want Lisbeth to move to the Rue Vaneau?
3. How are the Baroness and Monsieur Crevel related?
4. What particular significance does the name d'Ervy have to the Baron?
5. What does Monsieur Crevel suggest that Madame Hulot do to obtain a dowry for her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lisbeth advise Wenceslas to do after the visit from Monsieur Grasset and what reason does she give for this? What does she promise to do?
2. Who is Valerie Marneffe's father? Why does she inherit nothing upon his death?
3. Where does the Baron go after he finds the opera to be closed? What does he learn when he arrives there?
4. Who is the first character introduced in the novel? What information is surmised about his age? How is this information revealed?
5. What plan do Lisbeth and Hortense agree upon to help out Lisbeth's admirer? Who accompanies Hortense on this mission? Whom does her escort take notice of during this venture?
6. Where does Monsieur Grasset take Wenceslas? Why does this happen to the young artist?
7. What information about Wenceslas' professional life does Valerie give to Lisbeth? What information about Wenceslas' personal life does she give Lisbeth? How does Lisbeth react to this news?
8. With whom does Lisbeth discuss the Baron's fascination with Valerie Marneffe? According to Lisbeth, what has Baron Hulot done to win her favor?
9. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison? How does Wenceslas find out this information?
10. What does Lisbeth tell Hortense and Adeline has happened to Wenceslas? How does Hortense react? How is Bette's lie discovered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A major theme in Cousin Bette is that of forgiveness. Choose three examples from the text and analyze the outcomes of these acts. What is the message the text communicates about forgiveness?
Essay Topic 2
How does the conflict "man versus man" appear in Cousin Bette? Give three specific examples from the text. Are these conflicts resolved? How does this type of conflict relate to the message of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrator of Cousin Bette. In what mode is the story narrated? How does this affect the major themes of the novel? How does the narrator relate to literary realism?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)