|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what animal does Monsieur Crevel compare Mademoiselle Hortense in his conversation with the Baroness?
2. Which country does Monsieur Crevel dream of visiting?
3. What financial difficulty do the Marneffes face?
4. Who is Madame Marneffe's father?
5. With whom is Lisbeth on good terms in all of the houses she frequents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the first character introduced in the novel? What information is surmised about his age? How is this information revealed?
2. After Wenceslas sells his bronze group, who comes to visit Lisbeth at her flat? What is the purpose of this visit?
3. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
4. How do Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot know one another? How are they related? What occasioned their falling out?
5. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
6. Where does the Baron go after he finds the opera to be closed? What does he learn when he arrives there?
7. How does Lisbeth meet Wenceslas in the first place? What is the relationship between them after this first meeting?
8. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison? How does Wenceslas find out this information?
9. Who is Valerie Marneffe's father? Why does she inherit nothing upon his death?
10. What solution does Monsieur Crevel propose to the Baroness for the problem of Hortense's dowry? What other options does he tell her she has available to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is an important device employed in Cousin Bette. How does the author employ this device? What purpose does it serve? Use three specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Pride is a significant theme in Cousin Bette. What is the message conveyed about pride in this novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What elements of Cousin Bette characterize this work as a Realist novel? How does this work exemplify literary realism? Give two specific examples from the text.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)