|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had Lisbeth's beau been working on the figurine she shows to Hortense?
2. What item does Hortense promise Lisbeth in exchange for proof of her beau's existence?
3. Who considers herself to be the family confessional?
4. What commission does the Baron get for Lisbeth's admirer?
5. What award does Monseiur Crevel wear on his National Guard uniform?
Short Essay Questions
1. What proof does Lisbeth provide of the existence of her admirer? What does she receive from Hortense in exchange for this information?
2. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison? How does Wenceslas find out this information?
3. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
4. What plan do Lisbeth and Hortense agree upon to help out Lisbeth's admirer? Who accompanies Hortense on this mission? Whom does her escort take notice of during this venture?
5. With whom does Lisbeth discuss the Baron's fascination with Valerie Marneffe? According to Lisbeth, what has Baron Hulot done to win her favor?
6. Whom does Hortense decide to marry? What is the relationship between Hortense's intended and Lisbeth? Why does Baron Hulot tell her that Cousin Bette will not be an obstacle to Hortense's intended marriage?
7. After Wenceslas sells his bronze group, who comes to visit Lisbeth at her flat? What is the purpose of this visit?
8. What solution does Monsieur Crevel propose to the Baroness for the problem of Hortense's dowry? What other options does he tell her she has available to her?
9. Whom does Wenceslas see when he returns home? Whom does he say has purchased his bronze group and offered him work?
10. How does Lisbeth meet Wenceslas in the first place? What is the relationship between them after this first meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is an important device employed in Cousin Bette. How does the author employ this device? What purpose does it serve? Use three specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of social class in Cousin Bette? How does this theme affect the relationship between the characters and advance the plot of the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of women in Cousin Bette? Compare and contrast the roles of Lisbeth and Valerie Marneffe to those of Adeline and Hortense. In what ways are their roles similar? How are they different?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)