|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long does Monsieur Crevel estimate that the Baroness will remain beautiful?
2. What subject does Lisbeth's beau teach?
3. What job does the Baroness' son aspire to?
4. Who buys the group from Wenceslas?
5. How do Monsieur Hulot and Monsieur Crevel become acquainted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information about Wenceslas' professional life does Valerie give to Lisbeth? What information about Wenceslas' personal life does she give Lisbeth? How does Lisbeth react to this news?
2. With whom does Lisbeth discuss the Baron's fascination with Valerie Marneffe? According to Lisbeth, what has Baron Hulot done to win her favor?
3. Whom does Hortense decide to marry? What is the relationship between Hortense's intended and Lisbeth? Why does Baron Hulot tell her that Cousin Bette will not be an obstacle to Hortense's intended marriage?
4. Describe Lisbeth. How old is she? How does she dress? How does this affect her social standing in comparison to her cousin, the Baroness?
5. Whom does Wenceslas see when he returns home? Whom does he say has purchased his bronze group and offered him work?
6. What solution does Monsieur Crevel propose to the Baroness for the problem of Hortense's dowry? What other options does he tell her she has available to her?
7. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison? How does Wenceslas find out this information?
8. What does Lisbeth tell Hortense and Adeline has happened to Wenceslas? How does Hortense react? How is Bette's lie discovered?
9. What proof does Lisbeth provide of the existence of her admirer? What does she receive from Hortense in exchange for this information?
10. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pride is a significant theme in Cousin Bette. What is the message conveyed about pride in this novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of social class in Cousin Bette? How does this theme affect the relationship between the characters and advance the plot of the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
A major theme in Cousin Bette is that of forgiveness. Choose three examples from the text and analyze the outcomes of these acts. What is the message the text communicates about forgiveness?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)