Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Lisbeth on good terms in all of the houses she frequents?
2. How long has Monsieur Crevel been a widower?
3. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison?
4. Why does the Baron want Lisbeth to move to the Rue Vaneau?
5. According to the narrator, what is the fundamental feature of Lisbeth's character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
2. What proof does Lisbeth provide of the existence of her admirer? What does she receive from Hortense in exchange for this information?
3. What two events in Valerie Marneffe's life in March of 1843 take place? What does this mean for Valerie?
4. Whom does Wenceslas see when he returns home? Whom does he say has purchased his bronze group and offered him work?
5. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
6. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
7. How has Crevel changed since his first meeting with Adeline? How has the situation between them changed? How does this affect the outcome of the meeting?
8. Whom does Victorin hire to resolve his problem with Valerie Marneffe and Celestin Crevel? How much does he agree to pay to take care of this problem?
9. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
10. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of social class in Cousin Bette? How does this theme affect the relationship between the characters and advance the plot of the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrator of Cousin Bette. In what mode is the story narrated? How does this affect the major themes of the novel? How does the narrator relate to literary realism?
Essay Topic 3
How does the conflict "man versus man" appear in Cousin Bette? Give three specific examples from the text. Are these conflicts resolved? How does this type of conflict relate to the message of the novel?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)