|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What award does Monseiur Crevel wear on his National Guard uniform?
2. To whom is Lisbeth apprenticed by the Baron?
3. How many suitors has Lisbeth rejected?
4. What is the nationality of Lisbeth's romantic interest?
5. What had been Monsieur Crevel's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lisbeth advise Wenceslas to do after the visit from Monsieur Grasset and what reason does she give for this? What does she promise to do?
2. Who is the first character introduced in the novel? What information is surmised about his age? How is this information revealed?
3. What does Lisbeth tell Hortense and Adeline has happened to Wenceslas? How does Hortense react? How is Bette's lie discovered?
4. Where does the Baron go after he finds the opera to be closed? What does he learn when he arrives there?
5. What proof does Lisbeth provide of the existence of her admirer? What does she receive from Hortense in exchange for this information?
6. What solution does Monsieur Crevel propose to the Baroness for the problem of Hortense's dowry? What other options does he tell her she has available to her?
7. Whom does Hortense decide to marry? What is the relationship between Hortense's intended and Lisbeth? Why does Baron Hulot tell her that Cousin Bette will not be an obstacle to Hortense's intended marriage?
8. Where does Monsieur Grasset take Wenceslas? Why does this happen to the young artist?
9. Describe Lisbeth. How old is she? How does she dress? How does this affect her social standing in comparison to her cousin, the Baroness?
10. After Wenceslas sells his bronze group, who comes to visit Lisbeth at her flat? What is the purpose of this visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are both internal and external conflicts manifested in the novel? Choose an example of each type and analyze the significance of each as an element of the plot of Cousin Bette. How do these conflicts contribute to the overall message of the text?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of Cousin Bette. Does the novel have an open or closed ending? How are the major conflicts resolved? What does this reflect about the message of the text?
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of setting in Cousin Bette? Where do the significant scenes take place? In what time period is the novel set? Why is this significant?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)