|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What financial difficulty do the Marneffes face?
2. How long had Lisbeth's beau been working on the figurine she shows to Hortense?
3. What does Monsieur Crevel suggest that Madame Hulot do to obtain a dowry for her daughter?
4. What happens just as Lisbeth is about to set up her own business?
5. Who is Jenny Cadine's protector?
Short Essay Questions
1. What solution does Monsieur Crevel propose to the Baroness for the problem of Hortense's dowry? What other options does he tell her she has available to her?
2. Whom does Hortense decide to marry? What is the relationship between Hortense's intended and Lisbeth? Why does Baron Hulot tell her that Cousin Bette will not be an obstacle to Hortense's intended marriage?
3. Where does the Baron go after he finds the opera to be closed? What does he learn when he arrives there?
4. After Wenceslas sells his bronze group, who comes to visit Lisbeth at her flat? What is the purpose of this visit?
5. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
6. What does Lisbeth tell Hortense and Adeline has happened to Wenceslas? How does Hortense react? How is Bette's lie discovered?
7. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
8. With whom does Lisbeth discuss the Baron's fascination with Valerie Marneffe? According to Lisbeth, what has Baron Hulot done to win her favor?
9. Who is the first character introduced in the novel? What information is surmised about his age? How is this information revealed?
10. Who is Valerie Marneffe's father? Why does she inherit nothing upon his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of setting in Cousin Bette? Where do the significant scenes take place? In what time period is the novel set? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 2
How are both internal and external conflicts manifested in the novel? Choose an example of each type and analyze the significance of each as an element of the plot of Cousin Bette. How do these conflicts contribute to the overall message of the text?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrator of Cousin Bette. In what mode is the story narrated? How does this affect the major themes of the novel? How does the narrator relate to literary realism?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)