|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had Lisbeth's beau been working on the figurine she shows to Hortense?
2. To what animal does Monsieur Crevel compare Mademoiselle Hortense in his conversation with the Baroness?
3. What financial difficulty do the Marneffes face?
4. What commission does the Baron get for Lisbeth's admirer?
5. What year does the novel take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot know one another? How are they related? What occasioned their falling out?
2. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
3. After Wenceslas sells his bronze group, who comes to visit Lisbeth at her flat? What is the purpose of this visit?
4. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison? How does Wenceslas find out this information?
5. How does Lisbeth meet Wenceslas in the first place? What is the relationship between them after this first meeting?
6. Describe Lisbeth. How old is she? How does she dress? How does this affect her social standing in comparison to her cousin, the Baroness?
7. Where does the Baron go after he finds the opera to be closed? What does he learn when he arrives there?
8. With whom does Lisbeth discuss the Baron's fascination with Valerie Marneffe? According to Lisbeth, what has Baron Hulot done to win her favor?
9. What does Lisbeth advise Wenceslas to do after the visit from Monsieur Grasset and what reason does she give for this? What does she promise to do?
10. What plan do Lisbeth and Hortense agree upon to help out Lisbeth's admirer? Who accompanies Hortense on this mission? Whom does her escort take notice of during this venture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is an important device employed in Cousin Bette. How does the author employ this device? What purpose does it serve? Use three specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How are both internal and external conflicts manifested in the novel? Choose an example of each type and analyze the significance of each as an element of the plot of Cousin Bette. How do these conflicts contribute to the overall message of the text?
Essay Topic 3
A major theme in Cousin Bette is that of forgiveness. Choose three examples from the text and analyze the outcomes of these acts. What is the message the text communicates about forgiveness?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)