|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Lisbeth give Hortense and the Baroness for Wenceslas' decision to go to Russia?
2. Who considers herself to be the family confessional?
3. With whom is Lisbeth on good terms in all of the houses she frequents?
4. How much older is the Baroness than her cousin Bette?
5. To whom is Lisbeth apprenticed by the Baron?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
2. Besides the news of the embezzlement scheme in the newspaper, what other news item is featured in the Revue des Beaux-Arts? What is Hortense's reaction to this item?
3. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
4. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
5. What two events in Valerie Marneffe's life in March of 1843 take place? What does this mean for Valerie?
6. With whom does Lisbeth discuss the Baron's fascination with Valerie Marneffe? According to Lisbeth, what has Baron Hulot done to win her favor?
7. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison? How does Wenceslas find out this information?
8. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
9. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
10. Where does Monsieur Grasset take Wenceslas? Why does this happen to the young artist?
Essay Topic 1
How does the conflict "man versus man" appear in Cousin Bette? Give three specific examples from the text. Are these conflicts resolved? How does this type of conflict relate to the message of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How is irony manifested in Cousin Bette? Choose two examples of irony from the text and explain their classification and significance. How does the use of irony affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of social class in Cousin Bette? How does this theme affect the relationship between the characters and advance the plot of the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,541 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)