|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Lisbeth on good terms in all of the houses she frequents?
2. How long has Monsieur Crevel been a widower?
3. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison?
4. Why does the Baron want Lisbeth to move to the Rue Vaneau?
5. According to the narrator, what is the fundamental feature of Lisbeth's character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
2. What proof does Lisbeth provide of the existence of her admirer? What does she receive from Hortense in exchange for this information?
3. What two events in Valerie Marneffe's life in March of 1843 take place? What does this mean for Valerie?
4. Whom does Wenceslas see when he returns home? Whom does he say has purchased his bronze group and offered him work?
5. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
6. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
7. How has Crevel changed since his first meeting with Adeline? How has the situation between them changed? How does this affect the outcome of the meeting?
8. Whom does Victorin hire to resolve his problem with Valerie Marneffe and Celestin Crevel? How much does he agree to pay to take care of this problem?
9. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
10. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of women in Cousin Bette? Compare and contrast the roles of Lisbeth and Valerie Marneffe to those of Adeline and Hortense. In what ways are their roles similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Morality is a significant theme in Cousin Bette. What message does the novel convey about morality? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between Lisbeth and Valerie Marneffe? Using three examples from the novel, explain how Valerie and Lisbeth's relationship developed over time. Do the two women really care for one another or are they united by malice and spite only? Give details from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,559 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)