|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the amount of Mademoiselle Hortense's dowry expected to be?
2. What gift does the Emperor bestow on the Baroness when she is a young woman?
3. What does Monsieur Crevel suggest that Madame Hulot do to obtain a dowry for her daughter?
4. Why does the Baron decide to give Lisbeth a trade?
5. What is the profession of the Baroness' son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lisbeth meet Wenceslas in the first place? What is the relationship between them after this first meeting?
2. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison? How does Wenceslas find out this information?
3. Describe Lisbeth. How old is she? How does she dress? How does this affect her social standing in comparison to her cousin, the Baroness?
4. With whom does Lisbeth discuss the Baron's fascination with Valerie Marneffe? According to Lisbeth, what has Baron Hulot done to win her favor?
5. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
6. What brings about the argument between Montejanos and Valerie? Who schemes to have this scene play out as it does?
7. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
8. What proof does Lisbeth provide of the existence of her admirer? What does she receive from Hortense in exchange for this information?
9. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
10. Why does Crevel visit Celestine and Victorin after a lapse of two years? How do they respond to his request?
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of social class in Cousin Bette? How does this theme affect the relationship between the characters and advance the plot of the novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What elements of Cousin Bette characterize this work as a Realist novel? How does this work exemplify literary realism? Give two specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is an important device employed in Cousin Bette. How does the author employ this device? What purpose does it serve? Use three specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,533 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)