|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What financial difficulty do the Marneffes face?
2. Who steals Lisbeth's admirer?
3. What reason does Lisbeth give Wenceslas to convince him not to write to anyone from jail about his predicament?
4. What is the difference in age between Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot?
5. Why does the Baron decide to give Lisbeth a trade?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lisbeth meet Wenceslas in the first place? What is the relationship between them after this first meeting?
2. What solution does Monsieur Crevel propose to the Baroness for the problem of Hortense's dowry? What other options does he tell her she has available to her?
3. Whom does Wenceslas see when he returns home? Whom does he say has purchased his bronze group and offered him work?
4. How do Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot know one another? How are they related? What occasioned their falling out?
5. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
6. What does Lisbeth advise Wenceslas to do after the visit from Monsieur Grasset and what reason does she give for this? What does she promise to do?
7. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
8. Who is the first character introduced in the novel? What information is surmised about his age? How is this information revealed?
9. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison? How does Wenceslas find out this information?
10. Where does the Baron go after he finds the opera to be closed? What does he learn when he arrives there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is literary allusion used in Cousin Bette? Choose two examples from the text. What is the significance of these allusions? What messages do they communicate and to what themes do they relate?
Essay Topic 2
Pride is a significant theme in Cousin Bette. What is the message conveyed about pride in this novel? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of Cousin Bette. Does the novel have an open or closed ending? How are the major conflicts resolved? What does this reflect about the message of the text?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)