|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jenny Cadine's profession?
2. How many suitors has Lisbeth rejected?
3. What is Monsieur Crevel doing while waiting for the Baroness to enter the sitting room?
4. What is the difference in age between Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot?
5. With what major event do the beginnings of Monsieur Hulot's infidelities coincide?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lisbeth meet Wenceslas in the first place? What is the relationship between them after this first meeting?
2. What does Lisbeth tell Hortense and Adeline has happened to Wenceslas? How does Hortense react? How is Bette's lie discovered?
3. Who is the first character introduced in the novel? What information is surmised about his age? How is this information revealed?
4. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
5. Who is Valerie Marneffe's father? Why does she inherit nothing upon his death?
6. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
7. Where does Monsieur Grasset take Wenceslas? Why does this happen to the young artist?
8. Whom does Hortense decide to marry? What is the relationship between Hortense's intended and Lisbeth? Why does Baron Hulot tell her that Cousin Bette will not be an obstacle to Hortense's intended marriage?
9. What solution does Monsieur Crevel propose to the Baroness for the problem of Hortense's dowry? What other options does he tell her she has available to her?
10. What does Lisbeth advise Wenceslas to do after the visit from Monsieur Grasset and what reason does she give for this? What does she promise to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is an important device employed in Cousin Bette. How does the author employ this device? What purpose does it serve? Use three specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of women in Cousin Bette? Compare and contrast the roles of Lisbeth and Valerie Marneffe to those of Adeline and Hortense. In what ways are their roles similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Money has a significant role throughout Cousin Bette. Give three examples from the novel in which money significantly alters the plot of the novel and directly affects the protagonist. How is money a characteristic of the Realist novel?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)