|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time does Wenceslas arrive home after dining with Valerie Marneffe?
(a) Eleven o'clock in the evening.
(b) One o'clock in the morning.
(d) Three o'clock in the morning.
2. Where is Monsieur le Baron Henri Montes de Montejanos from?
3. What is Vauvinet's profession?
(a) Government Official.
4. How does Valerie explain her relationship to Montejanos?
(a) She pretends she has never met him.
(b) She claims they are cousins.
(c) She claims he is Monsieur Marneffe's nephew.
(d) She explains that they had been lovers.
5. Who is the third man to whom Valerie Marneffe tells he is going to be the father of her child?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Monsieur Marneffe do when Hector tries to enter his house after receiving Valerie's letter?
2. Whose post in the War Ministry does Baron Hulot attempt to obtain for Marneffe?
3. What does Crevel give to Valerie in exchange for her promise of being his exclusively?
4. To whom does Adeline give the little money she has received from the Baron, thereby depriving herself even of food?
5. Where does Bette convince Wenceslas to go despite Hortense forbidding him from doing so?
Short Essay Questions
1. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
2. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
3. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
4. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
5. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
6. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
7. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
8. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
9. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
10. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)