|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What piece of art created by Wenceslas is generating extreme criticism from his fellow artists, including Stidman?
(a) A statue of Marshal Montcornet.
(b) A silver group depicting deer.
(c) A statue of Marshal Hulot.
(d) A sculpture of Samson and Delilah.
2. What is happening when the arrival of the Baron Montes de Montejanos is announced?
(a) Valerie and Crevel are having an argument in her room.
(b) Valerie and Baron Hulot are sitting down to dinner.
(c) Guests are playing games in Valerie Marneffe's drawing-room.
(d) Valerie and Lisbeth are scheming to have the Marshal propose marriage to Bette.
3. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive?
(a) A letter from Valerie.
(b) A confession.
(c) The testimony of a witness.
(d) A photograph.
4. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
(a) A beautiful woman.
(b) A society woman.
(c) A talented woman.
(d) A decent woman.
5. What book does Adeline read constantly after being banished to her apartment on the Rue Plumet?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) Imitation of Christ.
(c) The Sorrows of Young Werther.
(d) The Holy Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Monsieur Crevel give Valerie in exchange for her company?
2. To whom does Adeline give the little money she has received from the Baron, thereby depriving herself even of food?
3. Which biblical figures does Valerie ask Wenceslas to sculpt for her?
4. Who inadvertently informs Hortense that Wenceslas had lied to her about his whereabouts the evening that he dined with Valerie Marneffe?
5. When the quartermaster arrives to speak privately with Hector, what does he expect the man has brought for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
2. Besides the news of the embezzlement scheme in the newspaper, what other news item is featured in the Revue des Beaux-Arts? What is Hortense's reaction to this item?
3. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
4. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
5. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
6. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
7. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
8. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
9. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
10. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)