|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At whose suggestion does Lisbeth change her appearance?
(a) Celestine Crevel.
(b) Adeline Hulot.
(c) Valerie Marneffe.
(d) Hortense Hulot.
2. How does Valerie explain her relationship to Montejanos?
(a) She claims he is Monsieur Marneffe's nephew.
(b) She explains that they had been lovers.
(c) She claims they are cousins.
(d) She pretends she has never met him.
3. What piece of evidence does Crevel provide the Baron with to prove his clandestine meetings with Valerie in his little house on the Rue du Dauphin?
(a) A hat.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A letter.
4. After Hector receives bad news from Johann Fischer, what bad news does he receive from Valerie in a letter?
(a) She has suffered a miscarriage.
(b) Her husband has forbidden her from receiving him in her home.
(c) Her husband has passed away.
(d) Crevel has discovered the truth about their relationship and is furious.
5. Which biblical figures does Valerie ask Wenceslas to sculpt for her?
(a) David and Goliath.
(b) Samson and Delilah.
(c) Moses and Aaron.
(d) Cain and Abel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lisbeth control Valerie's potential household expenses?
2. Who inadvertently informs Hortense that Wenceslas had lied to her about his whereabouts the evening that he dined with Valerie Marneffe?
3. Whom does Lisbeth dream of marrying?
4. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
5. Why does Stidman try to stay away from Wenceslas' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides the news of the embezzlement scheme in the newspaper, what other news item is featured in the Revue des Beaux-Arts? What is Hortense's reaction to this item?
2. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
3. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
4. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
5. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
6. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
7. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
8. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
9. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
10. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)