|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long after moving to the Rue Vaneau does Valerie wait before receiving Monsieur Crevel?
(a) Three years.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three days.
2. What news does Valerie reveal to Wenceslas in the first letter she writes to him?
(a) She is hosting a party.
(b) She is moving into a new house.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is canceling her order.
3. Who is the third man to whom Valerie Marneffe tells he is going to be the father of her child?
4. What circumstances led to Stidman's introduction to Valerie in the Rue Vaneau?
(a) His need for a job.
(b) The end of his friendship with Wenceslas.
(c) The end of his relationship with Madame Schontz.
(d) His need for a loan.
5. Who gives money to Adeline's cook so that she may provide a meal for the family?
(a) Monsieur Crevel.
(b) Victorin Hulot.
(c) Marshal Hulot.
(d) Baron Hulot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wenceslas produce in the early part of his marriage in addition to and contrasting with the statue he has been hired to design by the Prince of Wissembourg?
2. How does Valerie explain her relationship to Montejanos?
3. What is happening when the arrival of the Baron Montes de Montejanos is announced?
4. Why does Valerie want Baron Hulot to bring Wenceslas to dine with them?
5. Early in their relationship, who refuses to accompany the Baron to Valerie's house despite her entreaties?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
2. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
3. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
4. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
5. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
6. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
7. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
8. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
9. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
10. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)