|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At whose suggestion does Lisbeth change her appearance?
(a) Hortense Hulot.
(b) Valerie Marneffe.
(c) Adeline Hulot.
(d) Celestine Crevel.
2. Why does Valerie want Baron Hulot to bring Wenceslas to dine with them?
(a) She wants to seduce him.
(b) She is awed by his fame.
(c) She admires his talent.
(d) She wants to humiliate him.
3. What does Hortense tell Wenceslas she would have done in retribution if she had discovered that he was having an affair after their first quarrel?
(a) Taken Crevel as a lover.
(b) Taken Stidman as a lover.
(c) Killed herself.
(d) Killed him.
4. Whose post in the War Ministry does Baron Hulot attempt to obtain for Marneffe?
(a) The Duc d'Herounville's.
(b) The Prince of Wissembourg's.
(c) Monsieur Coquet's.
(d) Marshal Hulot's.
5. What is Vauvinet's profession?
(c) Government Official.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
2. What does Stidman tell Wenceslas to get him to leave his second meeting with Valerie and return home?
3. How does Valerie explain her relationship to Montejanos?
4. What does Monsieur Crevel give Valerie in exchange for her company?
5. What does Hortense decide to do after she receives proof of Wenceslas' infidelity?
Short Essay Questions
1. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
2. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
3. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
4. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
5. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
6. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
7. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
8. What has happened to Wenceslas professionally in the three years since he has married Hortense? To what is this change attributed?
9. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
10. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)