|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Stidman try to stay away from Wenceslas' house?
(a) He does not like Bette.
(b) He is attracted to Hortense.
(c) He does not like Hortense.
(d) He is angry with Wenceslas.
2. Besides leading Wenceslas astray, for what other family disgrace is Baron Hulot responsible?
(a) Victorin's professional difficulties.
(b) Victorin's financial difficulties.
(c) Victorin's professional difficulties.
(d) Lisbeth's personal difficulties.
3. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
(a) A pregnancy.
(b) Money that she borrowed from her mother.
(c) News articles criticizing his work.
(d) A lover.
4. What does Hortense tell Wenceslas she would have done in retribution if she had discovered that he was having an affair after their first quarrel?
(a) Taken Crevel as a lover.
(b) Taken Stidman as a lover.
(c) Killed herself.
(d) Killed him.
5. How does Lisbeth control Valerie's potential household expenses?
(a) She contributes the profits from her embroidery work to the household budget.
(b) She does the cooking and washing herself.
(c) She finds her a cook from Vosges and accompanies her to the market.
(d) She encourages Valerie to dine out instead of hosting dinners at home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives money to Adeline's cook so that she may provide a meal for the family?
2. Who is the third man to whom Valerie Marneffe tells he is going to be the father of her child?
3. What does Hortense decide to do after she receives proof of Wenceslas' infidelity?
4. How does Hortense react upon learning that Wenceslas has lied to her about his whereabouts?
5. Lisbeth offers to arrange a loan on good terms for Hortense and Wenceslas from whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
2. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
3. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
4. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
5. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
6. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
7. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
8. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
9. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
10. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)