|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Adeline attempt to console Hortense after her first quarrel with Wenceslas?
(a) She confesses Hector's infidelities.
(b) She reminds her that Wenceslas has never lied to her before.
(c) She assures her that Valerie Marneffe is a decent woman.
(d) She tells her that all men are animals.
2. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
(a) A pregnancy.
(b) News articles criticizing his work.
(c) Money that she borrowed from her mother.
(d) A lover.
3. What complaint does Lisbeth have when the Baron goes to her flat looking for Valerie?
(a) A toothache.
(b) A migraine.
4. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive?
(a) A confession.
(b) The testimony of a witness.
(c) A letter from Valerie.
(d) A photograph.
5. At whose suggestion does Lisbeth change her appearance?
(a) Valerie Marneffe.
(b) Celestine Crevel.
(c) Hortense Hulot.
(d) Adeline Hulot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who inadvertently informs Hortense that Wenceslas had lied to her about his whereabouts the evening that he dined with Valerie Marneffe?
2. On what condition does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the biblically-themed figure that Wenceslas is sculpting for Valerie Marneffe?
3. Who is the third man to whom Valerie Marneffe tells he is going to be the father of her child?
4. How does Valerie explain her relationship to Montejanos?
5. At what time does Wenceslas arrive home after dining with Valerie Marneffe?
Short Essay Questions
1. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
2. Besides the news of the embezzlement scheme in the newspaper, what other news item is featured in the Revue des Beaux-Arts? What is Hortense's reaction to this item?
3. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
4. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
5. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
6. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
7. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
8. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
9. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
10. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)