|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Wenceslas claim to be dining while he is at Valerie Marneffe's house?
(a) Hulot and Crevel.
(b) Vignon and Vauvinet.
(c) Chanor and Florent.
(d) Stidman and Wissembourg.
2. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
(a) He hands over his retirement funds.
(b) He mortgages his house.
(c) He asks Valerie Marneffe for a loan.
(d) He sells his furniture.
3. How long after moving to the Rue Vaneau does Valerie wait before receiving Monsieur Crevel?
(a) Three days.
(b) Three years.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Three months.
4. Why does Stidman try to stay away from Wenceslas' house?
(a) He is angry with Wenceslas.
(b) He does not like Hortense.
(c) He does not like Bette.
(d) He is attracted to Hortense.
5. Whose post in the War Ministry does Baron Hulot attempt to obtain for Marneffe?
(a) Marshal Hulot's.
(b) Monsieur Coquet's.
(c) The Prince of Wissembourg's.
(d) The Duc d'Herounville's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
2. What book does Adeline read constantly after being banished to her apartment on the Rue Plumet?
3. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
4. What does Crevel give to Valerie in exchange for her promise of being his exclusively?
5. How do Crevel and Hulot feel about Montejanos' arrival?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Wenceslas professionally in the three years since he has married Hortense? To what is this change attributed?
2. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
3. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
4. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
5. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
6. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
7. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
8. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
9. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
10. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)