|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Crevel goes to Valerie's flat the morning after his revelation to Hulot, whom does he find at the breakfast table with her?
(a) Montejanos and Steinbock.
(b) Montejanos and Lisbeth.
(c) Lisbeth and Hulot.
(d) Hulot and Steinbock.
2. What does Monsieur Crevel give Valerie in exchange for her company?
(a) A pearl necklace.
(b) A new carriage.
(c) Three thousand francs per year.
(d) Six thousand francs per year.
3. On what condition does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the biblically-themed figure that Wenceslas is sculpting for Valerie Marneffe?
(a) That it be signed by the sculptor.
(b) That Valerie serve as model.
(c) That it be completed before Christmas.
(d) That it be the only copy in existence.
4. At whose suggestion does Lisbeth change her appearance?
(a) Valerie Marneffe.
(b) Hortense Hulot.
(c) Adeline Hulot.
(d) Celestine Crevel.
5. What does Stidman tell Wenceslas to get him to leave his second meeting with Valerie and return home?
(a) His son is ill.
(b) His wife is in trouble.
(c) His wife is dying.
(d) His son is dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive?
2. At what time does Wenceslas arrive home after dining with Valerie Marneffe?
3. Where does Wenceslas tell Hortense he plans to go early the next morning following his dinner with Valerie?
4. To whom does Adeline give the little money she has received from the Baron, thereby depriving herself even of food?
5. Where does Valerie arrange to meet Montejanos clandestinely after her guests have retired?
Short Essay Questions
1. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
2. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
3. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
4. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
5. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
6. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
7. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
8. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
9. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
10. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)