|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Valerie reveal to Wenceslas in the first letter she writes to him?
(a) She is moving into a new house.
(b) She is hosting a party.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is canceling her order.
2. What does Baron Hulot agree to provide for Valerie Marneffe's second child?
(a) The Hulot family name.
(b) A job in government service when he reaches adulthood.
(c) A place to live.
(d) Twelve hundred francs per year.
3. At what time does Wenceslas arrive home after dining with Valerie Marneffe?
(a) Eleven o'clock in the evening.
(b) One o'clock in the morning.
(d) Three o'clock in the morning.
4. Where does Bette convince Wenceslas to go despite Hortense forbidding him from doing so?
(a) His studio.
(b) Celestin Crevel's house.
(c) Valerie Marneffe's house.
(d) Stidman's house.
5. Which biblical figures does Valerie ask Wenceslas to sculpt for her?
(a) Moses and Aaron.
(b) David and Goliath.
(c) Samson and Delilah.
(d) Cain and Abel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Early in their relationship, who refuses to accompany the Baron to Valerie's house despite her entreaties?
2. What does Wenceslas produce in the early part of his marriage in addition to and contrasting with the statue he has been hired to design by the Prince of Wissembourg?
3. Why does Valerie want Baron Hulot to bring Wenceslas to dine with them?
4. How does Valerie explain her relationship to Montejanos?
5. Who intercepts the letter that Valerie writes to Wenceslas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
2. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
3. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
4. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
5. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
6. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
7. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
8. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
9. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
10. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)