|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What circumstances led to Stidman's introduction to Valerie in the Rue Vaneau?
(a) His need for a loan.
(b) His need for a job.
(c) The end of his relationship with Madame Schontz.
(d) The end of his friendship with Wenceslas.
2. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
(a) News articles criticizing his work.
(b) A lover.
(c) A pregnancy.
(d) Money that she borrowed from her mother.
3. What does Hortense tell Wenceslas she would have done in retribution if she had discovered that he was having an affair after their first quarrel?
(a) Killed him.
(b) Taken Stidman as a lover.
(c) Killed herself.
(d) Taken Crevel as a lover.
4. What is happening when the arrival of the Baron Montes de Montejanos is announced?
(a) Valerie and Crevel are having an argument in her room.
(b) Valerie and Baron Hulot are sitting down to dinner.
(c) Guests are playing games in Valerie Marneffe's drawing-room.
(d) Valerie and Lisbeth are scheming to have the Marshal propose marriage to Bette.
5. What book does Adeline read constantly after being banished to her apartment on the Rue Plumet?
(a) The Holy Bible.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) Imitation of Christ.
(d) The Sorrows of Young Werther.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baron Hulot agree to provide for Valerie Marneffe's second child?
2. When Hector Hulot returns home from Valerie's house after hearing of the problem between Wenceslas and Hortense, what does he discover Adeline doing?
3. Where is Monsieur le Baron Henri Montes de Montejanos from?
4. How many beauty spots does Valerie Marneffe arrange on her person for her first meeting with Wenceslas?
5. At whose suggestion does Lisbeth change her appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
2. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
3. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
4. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
5. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
6. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
7. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
8. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
9. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
10. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)