|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many beauty spots does Valerie Marneffe arrange on her person for her first meeting with Wenceslas?
2. When the quartermaster arrives to speak privately with Hector, what does he expect the man has brought for him?
(a) News from the Prince of Wissembourg.
(b) A new uniform.
(c) A letter from Johann Fischer.
(d) Money from Algeria.
3. When Crevel goes to Valerie's flat the morning after his revelation to Hulot, whom does he find at the breakfast table with her?
(a) Hulot and Steinbock.
(b) Montejanos and Lisbeth.
(c) Montejanos and Steinbock.
(d) Lisbeth and Hulot.
4. Whose post in the War Ministry does Baron Hulot attempt to obtain for Marneffe?
(a) The Prince of Wissembourg's.
(b) The Duc d'Herounville's.
(c) Marshal Hulot's.
(d) Monsieur Coquet's.
5. Which biblical figures does Valerie ask Wenceslas to sculpt for her?
(a) Samson and Delilah.
(b) David and Goliath.
(c) Cain and Abel.
(d) Moses and Aaron.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wenceslas produce in the early part of his marriage in addition to and contrasting with the statue he has been hired to design by the Prince of Wissembourg?
2. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
3. What does Monsieur Crevel give Valerie in exchange for her company?
4. What solution does Bette offer first when Hortense explains her financial predicament?
5. Besides leading Wenceslas astray, for what other family disgrace is Baron Hulot responsible?
Short Essay Questions
1. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
2. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
3. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
4. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
5. Besides the news of the embezzlement scheme in the newspaper, what other news item is featured in the Revue des Beaux-Arts? What is Hortense's reaction to this item?
6. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
7. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
8. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
9. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
10. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)