|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Bette convince Wenceslas to go despite Hortense forbidding him from doing so?
(a) Celestin Crevel's house.
(b) His studio.
(c) Valerie Marneffe's house.
(d) Stidman's house.
2. What complaint does Lisbeth have when the Baron goes to her flat looking for Valerie?
(b) A toothache.
(c) A migraine.
3. What news does Valerie reveal to Wenceslas in the first letter she writes to him?
(a) She is hosting a party.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is moving into a new house.
(d) She is canceling her order.
4. What does Monsieur Marneffe do when Hector tries to enter his house after receiving Valerie's letter?
(a) He beats Hector up.
(b) He threatens Valerie with a pistol.
(c) He calls the police.
(d) He threatens Hector with a pistol.
5. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
2. Besides leading Wenceslas astray, for what other family disgrace is Baron Hulot responsible?
3. How does Valerie explain her relationship to Montejanos?
4. Where does Valerie mention having seen Wenceslas in person before their first formal meeting in her house?
5. With whom does Wenceslas claim to be dining while he is at Valerie Marneffe's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
2. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
3. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
4. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
5. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
6. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
7. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
8. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
9. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
10. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)