|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive?
(a) A photograph.
(b) A confession.
(c) The testimony of a witness.
(d) A letter from Valerie.
2. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
(a) He sells his furniture.
(b) He hands over his retirement funds.
(c) He asks Valerie Marneffe for a loan.
(d) He mortgages his house.
3. Early in their relationship, who refuses to accompany the Baron to Valerie's house despite her entreaties?
(a) Madame Crevel.
(b) Monsieur Coquet.
(c) Monsieur Stidman.
(d) Wenceslas Steinbock.
4. Where is Monsieur le Baron Henri Montes de Montejanos from?
5. What is happening when the arrival of the Baron Montes de Montejanos is announced?
(a) Guests are playing games in Valerie Marneffe's drawing-room.
(b) Valerie and Baron Hulot are sitting down to dinner.
(c) Valerie and Crevel are having an argument in her room.
(d) Valerie and Lisbeth are scheming to have the Marshal propose marriage to Bette.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the quartermaster arrives to speak privately with Hector, what does he expect the man has brought for him?
2. With whom does Wenceslas claim to be dining while he is at Valerie Marneffe's house?
3. Which biblical figures does Valerie ask Wenceslas to sculpt for her?
4. Who gives money to Adeline's cook so that she may provide a meal for the family?
5. What does Baron Hulot agree to provide for Valerie Marneffe's second child?
Short Essay Questions
1. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
2. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
3. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
4. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
5. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
6. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
7. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
8. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
9. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
10. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)