|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
(a) A talented woman.
(b) A decent woman.
(c) A society woman.
(d) A beautiful woman.
2. What solution does Bette offer first when Hortense explains her financial predicament?
(a) She tells Hortense to pawn all of her valuables.
(b) She advises Hortense to sell her diamonds.
(c) She counsels Hortense to ask Adeline for money.
(d) She suggests they help her arrange a marriage to Marshal Hulot.
3. When Crevel goes to Valerie's flat the morning after his revelation to Hulot, whom does he find at the breakfast table with her?
(a) Montejanos and Lisbeth.
(b) Lisbeth and Hulot.
(c) Montejanos and Steinbock.
(d) Hulot and Steinbock.
4. What bad news does Johann Fischer communicate to Hector Hulot in a letter?
(a) The War Ministry has exhausted all of its funds in Algeria.
(b) Johann Fischer has been left by his wife.
(c) A Public Prosecutor is investigating Hector and Johann's dealings in Algeria.
(d) Johann Fischer is terminally ill and does not have long to live.
5. Where does Wenceslas tell Hortense he plans to go early the next morning following his dinner with Valerie?
(a) The War Ministry.
(b) His studio.
(d) The bank.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Lisbeth dream of marrying?
2. After Hector receives bad news from Johann Fischer, what bad news does he receive from Valerie in a letter?
3. On what condition does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the biblically-themed figure that Wenceslas is sculpting for Valerie Marneffe?
4. Why does Valerie want Baron Hulot to bring Wenceslas to dine with them?
5. To whom does Adeline give the little money she has received from the Baron, thereby depriving herself even of food?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
2. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
3. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
4. Besides the news of the embezzlement scheme in the newspaper, what other news item is featured in the Revue des Beaux-Arts? What is Hortense's reaction to this item?
5. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
6. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
7. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
8. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
9. What has happened to Wenceslas professionally in the three years since he has married Hortense? To what is this change attributed?
10. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)