|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Monsieur Marneffe do when Hector tries to enter his house after receiving Valerie's letter?
(a) He beats Hector up.
(b) He calls the police.
(c) He threatens Hector with a pistol.
(d) He threatens Valerie with a pistol.
2. How does Adeline attempt to console Hortense after her first quarrel with Wenceslas?
(a) She tells her that all men are animals.
(b) She assures her that Valerie Marneffe is a decent woman.
(c) She reminds her that Wenceslas has never lied to her before.
(d) She confesses Hector's infidelities.
3. What is Vauvinet's profession?
(d) Government Official.
4. How does Hortense react upon learning that Wenceslas has lied to her about his whereabouts?
(a) She starts breaking things in the room and has to be restrained.
(b) She laughs it off.
(c) She faints and has nervous convulsions.
(d) She becomes sad, shouts and begins to cry.
5. What news does Valerie reveal to Wenceslas in the first letter she writes to him?
(a) She is hosting a party.
(b) She is moving into a new house.
(c) She is canceling her order.
(d) She is pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after moving to the Rue Vaneau does Valerie wait before receiving Monsieur Crevel?
2. What solution does Bette offer first when Hortense explains her financial predicament?
3. When Hector Hulot returns home from Valerie's house after hearing of the problem between Wenceslas and Hortense, what does he discover Adeline doing?
4. How do Crevel and Hulot feel about Montejanos' arrival?
5. What does Monsieur Crevel give Valerie in exchange for her company?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
2. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
3. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
4. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
5. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
6. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
7. What has happened to Wenceslas professionally in the three years since he has married Hortense? To what is this change attributed?
8. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
9. Besides the news of the embezzlement scheme in the newspaper, what other news item is featured in the Revue des Beaux-Arts? What is Hortense's reaction to this item?
10. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)