|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Adeline attempt to console Hortense after her first quarrel with Wenceslas?
(a) She tells her that all men are animals.
(b) She assures her that Valerie Marneffe is a decent woman.
(c) She confesses Hector's infidelities.
(d) She reminds her that Wenceslas has never lied to her before.
2. What does Monsieur Crevel give Valerie in exchange for her company?
(a) Three thousand francs per year.
(b) A new carriage.
(c) Six thousand francs per year.
(d) A pearl necklace.
3. What complaint does Lisbeth have when the Baron goes to her flat looking for Valerie?
(a) A migraine.
(c) A toothache.
4. Who is the third man to whom Valerie Marneffe tells he is going to be the father of her child?
5. What bad news does Johann Fischer communicate to Hector Hulot in a letter?
(a) A Public Prosecutor is investigating Hector and Johann's dealings in Algeria.
(b) Johann Fischer has been left by his wife.
(c) Johann Fischer is terminally ill and does not have long to live.
(d) The War Ministry has exhausted all of its funds in Algeria.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who inadvertently informs Hortense that Wenceslas had lied to her about his whereabouts the evening that he dined with Valerie Marneffe?
2. When Hector Hulot returns home from Valerie's house after hearing of the problem between Wenceslas and Hortense, what does he discover Adeline doing?
3. Who intercepts the letter that Valerie writes to Wenceslas?
4. When the quartermaster arrives to speak privately with Hector, what does he expect the man has brought for him?
5. After Wenceslas and Hortense quarrel about Valerie Marneffe, where does Lisbeth go to live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
2. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
3. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
4. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
5. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
6. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
7. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
8. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
9. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
10. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)