|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Valerie reveal to Wenceslas in the first letter she writes to him?
(a) She is hosting a party.
(b) She is canceling her order.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is moving into a new house.
2. What piece of art created by Wenceslas is generating extreme criticism from his fellow artists, including Stidman?
(a) A silver group depicting deer.
(b) A statue of Marshal Montcornet.
(c) A sculpture of Samson and Delilah.
(d) A statue of Marshal Hulot.
3. To whom does Adeline give the little money she has received from the Baron, thereby depriving herself even of food?
4. What does Crevel give to Valerie in exchange for her promise of being his exclusively?
(a) A house.
(b) A statue.
(c) A dressing gown.
(d) A necklace.
5. What does Monsieur Crevel give Valerie in exchange for her company?
(a) Three thousand francs per year.
(b) A new carriage.
(c) Six thousand francs per year.
(d) A pearl necklace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
2. What is Vauvinet's profession?
3. How long after moving to the Rue Vaneau does Valerie wait before receiving Monsieur Crevel?
4. Besides leading Wenceslas astray, for what other family disgrace is Baron Hulot responsible?
5. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
2. Besides the news of the embezzlement scheme in the newspaper, what other news item is featured in the Revue des Beaux-Arts? What is Hortense's reaction to this item?
3. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
4. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
5. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
6. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
7. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
8. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
9. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
10. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)