|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Early in their relationship, who refuses to accompany the Baron to Valerie's house despite her entreaties?
(a) Wenceslas Steinbock.
(b) Monsieur Stidman.
(c) Madame Crevel.
(d) Monsieur Coquet.
2. What solution does Bette offer first when Hortense explains her financial predicament?
(a) She suggests they help her arrange a marriage to Marshal Hulot.
(b) She tells Hortense to pawn all of her valuables.
(c) She advises Hortense to sell her diamonds.
(d) She counsels Hortense to ask Adeline for money.
3. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive?
(a) The testimony of a witness.
(b) A photograph.
(c) A confession.
(d) A letter from Valerie.
4. When Hector Hulot returns home from Valerie's house after hearing of the problem between Wenceslas and Hortense, what does he discover Adeline doing?
5. Who intercepts the letter that Valerie writes to Wenceslas?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Adeline give the little money she has received from the Baron, thereby depriving herself even of food?
2. How does Adeline attempt to console Hortense after her first quarrel with Wenceslas?
3. What is Vauvinet's profession?
4. How much does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the silver group ordered by Valerie?
5. Where does Valerie arrange to meet Montejanos clandestinely after her guests have retired?
Short Essay Questions
1. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
2. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
3. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
4. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
5. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
6. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
7. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
8. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
9. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
10. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)