|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time does Wenceslas arrive home after dining with Valerie Marneffe?
(b) Eleven o'clock in the evening.
(c) One o'clock in the morning.
(d) Three o'clock in the morning.
2. Where does Valerie mention having seen Wenceslas in person before their first formal meeting in her house?
(a) His studio.
(c) His wedding.
(d) Lisbeth's flat.
3. Which biblical figures does Valerie ask Wenceslas to sculpt for her?
(a) Samson and Delilah.
(b) Cain and Abel.
(c) Moses and Aaron.
(d) David and Goliath.
4. With whom does Wenceslas claim to be dining while he is at Valerie Marneffe's house?
(a) Vignon and Vauvinet.
(b) Stidman and Wissembourg.
(c) Hulot and Crevel.
(d) Chanor and Florent.
5. How much does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the silver group ordered by Valerie?
(a) Three thousand sous.
(b) A thousand crowns.
(c) Ten thousand francs.
(d) Fifteen hundred pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Crevel goes to Valerie's flat the morning after his revelation to Hulot, whom does he find at the breakfast table with her?
2. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive?
3. How does Hortense react upon learning that Wenceslas has lied to her about his whereabouts?
4. Besides leading Wenceslas astray, for what other family disgrace is Baron Hulot responsible?
5. What does Monsieur Crevel give Valerie in exchange for her company?
Short Essay Questions
1. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
2. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
3. Besides the news of the embezzlement scheme in the newspaper, what other news item is featured in the Revue des Beaux-Arts? What is Hortense's reaction to this item?
4. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
5. What has happened to Wenceslas professionally in the three years since he has married Hortense? To what is this change attributed?
6. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
7. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
8. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
9. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
10. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)