|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the silver group ordered by Valerie?
(a) Fifteen hundred pounds.
(b) Ten thousand francs.
(c) Three thousand sous.
(d) A thousand crowns.
2. What complaint does Lisbeth have when the Baron goes to her flat looking for Valerie?
(a) A migraine.
(b) A toothache.
3. On what condition does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the biblically-themed figure that Wenceslas is sculpting for Valerie Marneffe?
(a) That it be completed before Christmas.
(b) That it be signed by the sculptor.
(c) That it be the only copy in existence.
(d) That Valerie serve as model.
4. After Hector receives bad news from Johann Fischer, what bad news does he receive from Valerie in a letter?
(a) Crevel has discovered the truth about their relationship and is furious.
(b) Her husband has passed away.
(c) Her husband has forbidden her from receiving him in her home.
(d) She has suffered a miscarriage.
5. How many beauty spots does Valerie Marneffe arrange on her person for her first meeting with Wenceslas?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Monsieur le Baron Henri Montes de Montejanos from?
2. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive?
3. What does Stidman tell Wenceslas to get him to leave his second meeting with Valerie and return home?
4. How does Valerie explain her relationship to Montejanos?
5. What circumstances led to Stidman's introduction to Valerie in the Rue Vaneau?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
2. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
3. What does the regimental quartermaster from Algeria bring to Hector? What was he expecting the quartermaster to have brought him?
4. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
5. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
6. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
7. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
8. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
9. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
10. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)