|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lisbeth offers to arrange a loan on good terms for Hortense and Wenceslas from whom?
(a) The Duc d´Hérouville.
(b) Marshal Hulot.
(c) Valerie Marneffe.
(d) Celestin Crevel.
2. When Hector Hulot returns home from Valerie's house after hearing of the problem between Wenceslas and Hortense, what does he discover Adeline doing?
3. What does Hortense tell Wenceslas she would have done in retribution if she had discovered that he was having an affair after their first quarrel?
(a) Killed herself.
(b) Killed him.
(c) Taken Stidman as a lover.
(d) Taken Crevel as a lover.
4. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
(a) A society woman.
(b) A talented woman.
(c) A beautiful woman.
(d) A decent woman.
5. What does Crevel give to Valerie in exchange for her promise of being his exclusively?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A house.
(c) A statue.
(d) A dressing gown.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Adeline give the little money she has received from the Baron, thereby depriving herself even of food?
2. Why does Stidman try to stay away from Wenceslas' house?
3. Where is Monsieur le Baron Henri Montes de Montejanos from?
4. How does Adeline attempt to console Hortense after her first quarrel with Wenceslas?
5. How many beauty spots does Valerie Marneffe arrange on her person for her first meeting with Wenceslas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
2. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
3. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
4. Besides the news of the embezzlement scheme in the newspaper, what other news item is featured in the Revue des Beaux-Arts? What is Hortense's reaction to this item?
5. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
6. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
7. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
8. What has happened to Wenceslas professionally in the three years since he has married Hortense? To what is this change attributed?
9. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
10. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)