|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baron Hulot agree to provide for Valerie Marneffe's second child?
(a) The Hulot family name.
(b) A place to live.
(c) A job in government service when he reaches adulthood.
(d) Twelve hundred francs per year.
2. What circumstances led to Stidman's introduction to Valerie in the Rue Vaneau?
(a) His need for a loan.
(b) The end of his relationship with Madame Schontz.
(c) The end of his friendship with Wenceslas.
(d) His need for a job.
3. Who is the third man to whom Valerie Marneffe tells he is going to be the father of her child?
4. How does Lisbeth control Valerie's potential household expenses?
(a) She contributes the profits from her embroidery work to the household budget.
(b) She does the cooking and washing herself.
(c) She finds her a cook from Vosges and accompanies her to the market.
(d) She encourages Valerie to dine out instead of hosting dinners at home.
5. What solution does Bette offer first when Hortense explains her financial predicament?
(a) She advises Hortense to sell her diamonds.
(b) She tells Hortense to pawn all of her valuables.
(c) She suggests they help her arrange a marriage to Marshal Hulot.
(d) She counsels Hortense to ask Adeline for money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lisbeth offers to arrange a loan on good terms for Hortense and Wenceslas from whom?
2. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
3. How does Valerie explain her relationship to Montejanos?
4. With whom does Wenceslas claim to be dining while he is at Valerie Marneffe's house?
5. What does Wenceslas produce in the early part of his marriage in addition to and contrasting with the statue he has been hired to design by the Prince of Wissembourg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
2. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
3. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
4. Besides the news of the embezzlement scheme in the newspaper, what other news item is featured in the Revue des Beaux-Arts? What is Hortense's reaction to this item?
5. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
6. What has happened to Wenceslas professionally in the three years since he has married Hortense? To what is this change attributed?
7. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
8. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
9. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
10. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)