|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Stidman try to stay away from Wenceslas' house?
(a) He is angry with Wenceslas.
(b) He does not like Bette.
(c) He is attracted to Hortense.
(d) He does not like Hortense.
2. What significant change to his appearance does Valerie induce Baron Hulot to make?
(a) He shaves off his beard.
(b) He stops dying his hair.
(c) He loses weight.
(d) He stops wearing his military uniform.
3. How does Lisbeth control Valerie's potential household expenses?
(a) She does the cooking and washing herself.
(b) She finds her a cook from Vosges and accompanies her to the market.
(c) She contributes the profits from her embroidery work to the household budget.
(d) She encourages Valerie to dine out instead of hosting dinners at home.
4. Where does Bette convince Wenceslas to go despite Hortense forbidding him from doing so?
(a) Celestin Crevel's house.
(b) His studio.
(c) Valerie Marneffe's house.
(d) Stidman's house.
5. What is Vauvinet's profession?
(d) Government Official.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
2. What does Monsieur Crevel give Valerie in exchange for her company?
3. What piece of art created by Wenceslas is generating extreme criticism from his fellow artists, including Stidman?
4. What solution does Bette offer first when Hortense explains her financial predicament?
5. What complaint does Lisbeth have when the Baron goes to her flat looking for Valerie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
2. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
3. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
4. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
5. What has happened to Wenceslas professionally in the three years since he has married Hortense? To what is this change attributed?
6. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
7. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
8. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
9. What problem with her husband does Valerie alert Hector to in a letter? What solution does she suggest to this predicament? How does Hector respond to this suggestion?
10. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)