|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Wenceslas tell Hortense he plans to go early the next morning following his dinner with Valerie?
(a) His studio.
(b) The War Ministry.
(d) The bank.
2. What does Monsieur Crevel give Valerie in exchange for her company?
(a) A new carriage.
(b) Three thousand francs per year.
(c) A pearl necklace.
(d) Six thousand francs per year.
3. What is Vauvinet's profession?
(a) Government Official.
4. When Hector Hulot returns home from Valerie's house after hearing of the problem between Wenceslas and Hortense, what does he discover Adeline doing?
5. When Wenceslas returns home and is confronted by Hortnese, whom does he claim has lent him ten thousand francs?
(b) León de Lora.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Wenceslas and Hortense quarrel about Valerie Marneffe, where does Lisbeth go to live?
2. Why does Valerie want Baron Hulot to bring Wenceslas to dine with them?
3. Who is the third man to whom Valerie Marneffe tells he is going to be the father of her child?
4. What does Monsieur Marneffe do when Hector tries to enter his house after receiving Valerie's letter?
5. Whom does Lisbeth dream of marrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
2. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
3. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
4. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
5. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
6. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
7. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
8. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
9. What has happened to Wenceslas professionally in the three years since he has married Hortense? To what is this change attributed?
10. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)