|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What piece of art created by Wenceslas is generating extreme criticism from his fellow artists, including Stidman?
(a) A silver group depicting deer.
(b) A statue of Marshal Hulot.
(c) A statue of Marshal Montcornet.
(d) A sculpture of Samson and Delilah.
2. On what condition does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the biblically-themed figure that Wenceslas is sculpting for Valerie Marneffe?
(a) That Valerie serve as model.
(b) That it be signed by the sculptor.
(c) That it be completed before Christmas.
(d) That it be the only copy in existence.
3. What does Wenceslas produce in the early part of his marriage in addition to and contrasting with the statue he has been hired to design by the Prince of Wissembourg?
(a) A book of poetry.
(b) A child.
(c) Fine jewelry.
(d) An opera.
4. At what time does Wenceslas arrive home after dining with Valerie Marneffe?
(a) Eleven o'clock in the evening.
(b) Three o'clock in the morning.
(d) One o'clock in the morning.
5. What does Monsieur Marneffe do when Hector tries to enter his house after receiving Valerie's letter?
(a) He threatens Hector with a pistol.
(b) He beats Hector up.
(c) He calls the police.
(d) He threatens Valerie with a pistol.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Wenceslas claim to be dining while he is at Valerie Marneffe's house?
2. When the quartermaster arrives to speak privately with Hector, what does he expect the man has brought for him?
3. Why does Valerie want Baron Hulot to bring Wenceslas to dine with them?
4. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive?
5. What does Baron Hulot agree to provide for Valerie Marneffe's second child?
Short Essay Questions
1. In whom does Hector confide his devastation about Valerie? What is this character's response?
2. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
3. After their initial clandestine meetings, what message does Hector receive in the form of a letter from Valerie? What reason does she give for a change of plans? What is the real reason?
4. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
5. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
6. What happens when Hector goes to visit Valerie after he receives her letter? How does he receive a message from her and what is communicated?
7. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
8. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive? What does she decide to do after she receives this proof and why?
9. What post does Valerie ask Hector to obtain for Marneffe? What complications does Hector face in carrying out this wish for his mistress?
10. What does Adeline advise Hortense to do after her first quarrel with Wenceslas over Valerie Marneffe? What does Adeline reveal to her daughter about her own marriage?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)