|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of Cousin Bette?
(a) Gustave Flaubert.
(b) Emile Zola.
(c) Jean-Luc Goddard.
(d) Honoré de Balzac.
2. Why has the Baroness' brother-in-law never married?
(a) He has been serving his country.
(b) He has been looking for a second Adeline.
(c) He has been busy amassing his fortune.
(d) He has been horribly disfigured in the war.
3. How long has Monsieur Crevel been a widower?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Five years.
4. Who is Madame Marneffe's father?
(a) The Comte of Montcornet.
(b) The Baron.
(c) Monsieur Crevel.
(d) The Comte of Clichy.
5. To what animal does Monsieur Crevel compare Mademoiselle Hortense in his conversation with the Baroness?
(a) A thoroughbred horse.
(b) A nightingale.
(c) A fox.
(d) A pig.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Lisbeth apprenticed by the Baron?
2. Who is Jenny Cadine's protector?
3. What item does Hortense promise Lisbeth in exchange for proof of her beau's existence?
4. How many suitors has Lisbeth rejected?
5. What is Jenny Cadine's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Wenceslas sells his bronze group, who comes to visit Lisbeth at her flat? What is the purpose of this visit?
2. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
3. How do Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot know one another? How are they related? What occasioned their falling out?
4. Who is Valerie Marneffe's father? Why does she inherit nothing upon his death?
5. What does Lisbeth advise Wenceslas to do after the visit from Monsieur Grasset and what reason does she give for this? What does she promise to do?
6. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
7. Whom does Hortense decide to marry? What is the relationship between Hortense's intended and Lisbeth? Why does Baron Hulot tell her that Cousin Bette will not be an obstacle to Hortense's intended marriage?
8. Describe Lisbeth. How old is she? How does she dress? How does this affect her social standing in comparison to her cousin, the Baroness?
9. What information about Wenceslas' professional life does Valerie give to Lisbeth? What information about Wenceslas' personal life does she give Lisbeth? How does Lisbeth react to this news?
10. Where does the Baron go after he finds the opera to be closed? What does he learn when he arrives there?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)