|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Lisbeth give Wenceslas to convince him not to write to anyone from jail about his predicament?
(a) To protect his reputation.
(b) To not anger her moneylender.
(c) To not make the authorities suspicious.
(d) To not worry his friends.
2. Why is cousin Bette not accepted in society?
(a) She is an orphan.
(b) She is handicapped.
(c) She is poorly dressed.
(d) She is unmarried.
3. What subject does Lisbeth's beau teach?
4. What financial difficulty do the Marneffes face?
(a) They are behind on their rent payments.
(b) They have medical expenses.
(c) They have no source of income.
(d) They have to pay off Madame Marneffe's family's debts.
5. According to the narrator, what is the fundamental feature of Lisbeth's character?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lisbeth know the Marneffes?
2. The author dedicates the novel to a scholar who studies which writer?
3. What nickname does the Baron give to Lisbeth?
4. Why has the Baroness' brother-in-law never married?
5. What award does Monseiur Crevel wear on his National Guard uniform?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the Baron go after he finds the opera to be closed? What does he learn when he arrives there?
2. Describe Lisbeth. How old is she? How does she dress? How does this affect her social standing in comparison to her cousin, the Baroness?
3. After Wenceslas sells his bronze group, who comes to visit Lisbeth at her flat? What is the purpose of this visit?
4. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison? How does Wenceslas find out this information?
5. What does Lisbeth tell Hortense and Adeline has happened to Wenceslas? How does Hortense react? How is Bette's lie discovered?
6. What proof does Lisbeth provide of the existence of her admirer? What does she receive from Hortense in exchange for this information?
7. How do Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot know one another? How are they related? What occasioned their falling out?
8. With whom does Lisbeth discuss the Baron's fascination with Valerie Marneffe? According to Lisbeth, what has Baron Hulot done to win her favor?
9. What plan do Lisbeth and Hortense agree upon to help out Lisbeth's admirer? Who accompanies Hortense on this mission? Whom does her escort take notice of during this venture?
10. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)