|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Baron decide to give Lisbeth a trade?
(a) She has an aptitude for work.
(b) She cannot read nor write.
(c) She wants to meet a husband.
(d) She is poor and unprotected.
2. What does Lisbeth bring home to her admirer from the dinner parties she attends?
(d) Fruit and sweets.
3. How many suitors has Lisbeth rejected?
4. What is the difference in age between Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot?
(a) Crevel is seven years younger.
(b) Hulot is ten years younger.
(c) Hulot is seven years younger.
(d) Crevel is ten years younger.
5. With whom is Lisbeth on good terms in all of the houses she frequents?
(a) The pets.
(b) The servants.
(c) The young men.
(d) The children.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Lisbeth apprenticed by the Baron?
2. What reason does Lisbeth give Wenceslas to convince him not to write to anyone from jail about his predicament?
3. How much older is the Baroness than her cousin Bette?
4. Who informs Lisbeth that Wenceslas is to marry Hortense?
5. To what animal does Monsieur Crevel compare Mademoiselle Hortense in his conversation with the Baroness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lisbeth tell Hortense and Adeline has happened to Wenceslas? How does Hortense react? How is Bette's lie discovered?
2. Whom does Hortense decide to marry? What is the relationship between Hortense's intended and Lisbeth? Why does Baron Hulot tell her that Cousin Bette will not be an obstacle to Hortense's intended marriage?
3. What proof does Lisbeth provide of the existence of her admirer? What does she receive from Hortense in exchange for this information?
4. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison? How does Wenceslas find out this information?
5. After Wenceslas sells his bronze group, who comes to visit Lisbeth at her flat? What is the purpose of this visit?
6. What information about Wenceslas' professional life does Valerie give to Lisbeth? What information about Wenceslas' personal life does she give Lisbeth? How does Lisbeth react to this news?
7. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
8. Whom does Wenceslas see when he returns home? Whom does he say has purchased his bronze group and offered him work?
9. Who is the first character introduced in the novel? What information is surmised about his age? How is this information revealed?
10. What does Lisbeth advise Wenceslas to do after the visit from Monsieur Grasset and what reason does she give for this? What does she promise to do?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)