|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname does the Baron give to Lisbeth?
2. What does Lisbeth surmise as the cause of her admirer's failed suicide attempt?
(c) A broken heart.
3. What subject does Lisbeth's beau teach?
4. What is the amount of Mademoiselle Hortense's dowry expected to be?
(a) Five thousand pounds.
(b) Forty thousand francs.
(c) Thirty thousand pesetas.
(d) Two hundred thousand livres.
5. What does Lisbeth bring home to her admirer from the dinner parties she attends?
(d) Fruit and sweets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Monsieur Crevel give to the modern parable of Monsieur Hulot and his family?
2. What does the narrator consider to be "the most reliable thermometer of wealth in Parisian households"?
3. What reason does Lisbeth give Hortense and the Baroness for Wenceslas' decision to go to Russia?
4. According to the narrator, what is the fundamental feature of Lisbeth's character?
5. How are the Baroness and Monsieur Crevel related?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Wenceslas see when he returns home? Whom does he say has purchased his bronze group and offered him work?
2. What solution does Monsieur Crevel propose to the Baroness for the problem of Hortense's dowry? What other options does he tell her she has available to her?
3. Who is the first character introduced in the novel? What information is surmised about his age? How is this information revealed?
4. Where does Monsieur Grasset take Wenceslas? Why does this happen to the young artist?
5. What does Lisbeth advise Wenceslas to do after the visit from Monsieur Grasset and what reason does she give for this? What does she promise to do?
6. Describe Lisbeth. How old is she? How does she dress? How does this affect her social standing in comparison to her cousin, the Baroness?
7. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
8. With whom does Lisbeth discuss the Baron's fascination with Valerie Marneffe? According to Lisbeth, what has Baron Hulot done to win her favor?
9. Who is Valerie Marneffe's father? Why does she inherit nothing upon his death?
10. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)