|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the significance of the name Mirah?
(a) It is the name of a German town.
(b) It is an anagram of Hiram, thereby denoting Jewish heritage.
(c) It is the German word for light.
(d) It is the name of a town in Israel.
2. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison?
(c) The Baron.
3. What is the profession of the Baroness' son?
4. For how long does Monsieur Crevel estimate that the Baroness will remain beautiful?
(a) A lifetime.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Five years.
5. How long had Lisbeth's beau been working on the figurine she shows to Hortense?
(a) Twelve months.
(b) Ten months.
(c) Eighteen months.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what major event do the beginnings of Monsieur Hulot's infidelities coincide?
2. How long has Monsieur Crevel been a widower?
3. What does Lisbeth surmise as the cause of her admirer's failed suicide attempt?
4. What is the difference in age between Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot?
5. Who informs Lisbeth that Wenceslas is to marry Hortense?
Short Essay Questions
1. What solution does Monsieur Crevel propose to the Baroness for the problem of Hortense's dowry? What other options does he tell her she has available to her?
2. What does Lisbeth tell Hortense and Adeline has happened to Wenceslas? How does Hortense react? How is Bette's lie discovered?
3. Who is Valerie Marneffe's father? Why does she inherit nothing upon his death?
4. What plan do Lisbeth and Hortense agree upon to help out Lisbeth's admirer? Who accompanies Hortense on this mission? Whom does her escort take notice of during this venture?
5. Who is the first character introduced in the novel? What information is surmised about his age? How is this information revealed?
6. How does Lisbeth meet Wenceslas in the first place? What is the relationship between them after this first meeting?
7. How do Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot know one another? How are they related? What occasioned their falling out?
8. Whom does Hortense decide to marry? What is the relationship between Hortense's intended and Lisbeth? Why does Baron Hulot tell her that Cousin Bette will not be an obstacle to Hortense's intended marriage?
9. What does Lisbeth advise Wenceslas to do after the visit from Monsieur Grasset and what reason does she give for this? What does she promise to do?
10. Whom does Wenceslas see when he returns home? Whom does he say has purchased his bronze group and offered him work?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)