|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Baroness come from?
2. What does the narrator consider to be "the most reliable thermometer of wealth in Parisian households"?
(a) The table.
(b) The closet.
(c) The mode of transportation.
(d) The neighborhood.
3. With whom is Lisbeth on good terms in all of the houses she frequents?
(a) The servants.
(b) The young men.
(c) The pets.
(d) The children.
4. What is Jenny Cadine's profession?
(d) Opera singer.
5. Who considers herself to be the family confessional?
(a) Jenny Cadine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What particular significance does the name d'Ervy have to the Baron?
2. Who sees Monsieur Hulot in a front stall at the Varietes with Jenny Cadine?
3. What does Lisbeth bring home to her admirer from the dinner parties she attends?
4. Why is cousin Bette not accepted in society?
5. Why is Madame Marneffe denied an inheritance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Hortense decide to marry? What is the relationship between Hortense's intended and Lisbeth? Why does Baron Hulot tell her that Cousin Bette will not be an obstacle to Hortense's intended marriage?
2. With whom does Lisbeth discuss the Baron's fascination with Valerie Marneffe? According to Lisbeth, what has Baron Hulot done to win her favor?
3. What solution does Monsieur Crevel propose to the Baroness for the problem of Hortense's dowry? What other options does he tell her she has available to her?
4. What does Lisbeth advise Wenceslas to do after the visit from Monsieur Grasset and what reason does she give for this? What does she promise to do?
5. How does Lisbeth meet Wenceslas in the first place? What is the relationship between them after this first meeting?
6. Describe Lisbeth. How old is she? How does she dress? How does this affect her social standing in comparison to her cousin, the Baroness?
7. What does Lisbeth tell Hortense and Adeline has happened to Wenceslas? How does Hortense react? How is Bette's lie discovered?
8. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
9. Where does Monsieur Grasset take Wenceslas? Why does this happen to the young artist?
10. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)