|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Baron decide to give Lisbeth a trade?
(a) She has an aptitude for work.
(b) She is poor and unprotected.
(c) She cannot read nor write.
(d) She wants to meet a husband.
2. What is the significance of the name Mirah?
(a) It is the name of a town in Israel.
(b) It is an anagram of Hiram, thereby denoting Jewish heritage.
(c) It is the name of a German town.
(d) It is the German word for light.
3. To what animal does Monsieur Crevel compare Mademoiselle Hortense in his conversation with the Baroness?
(a) A pig.
(b) A thoroughbred horse.
(c) A nightingale.
(d) A fox.
4. To whom is Lisbeth apprenticed by the Baron?
(a) The embroiderers to the Imperial court.
(b) The glassblowers of the local village.
(c) The dressmakers to the high society.
(d) The typesetters of the daily news.
5. With what major event do the beginnings of Monsieur Hulot's infidelities coincide?
(a) The French Revolution.
(b) The end of the empire.
(c) The end of the monarchy.
(d) The Glorious Revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, what is the fundamental feature of Lisbeth's character?
2. What is the difference in age between Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot?
3. Why has the Baroness' brother-in-law never married?
4. Where does the Baroness come from?
5. How long has Monsieur Crevel been a widower?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Wenceslas sells his bronze group, who comes to visit Lisbeth at her flat? What is the purpose of this visit?
2. Describe Lisbeth. How old is she? How does she dress? How does this affect her social standing in comparison to her cousin, the Baroness?
3. Where does the Baron go after he finds the opera to be closed? What does he learn when he arrives there?
4. What does Lisbeth advise Wenceslas to do after the visit from Monsieur Grasset and what reason does she give for this? What does she promise to do?
5. What solution does Monsieur Crevel propose to the Baroness for the problem of Hortense's dowry? What other options does he tell her she has available to her?
6. Where does Monsieur Grasset take Wenceslas? Why does this happen to the young artist?
7. Whom does Hortense decide to marry? What is the relationship between Hortense's intended and Lisbeth? Why does Baron Hulot tell her that Cousin Bette will not be an obstacle to Hortense's intended marriage?
8. Who is the first character introduced in the novel? What information is surmised about his age? How is this information revealed?
9. With whom does Lisbeth discuss the Baron's fascination with Valerie Marneffe? According to Lisbeth, what has Baron Hulot done to win her favor?
10. What plan do Lisbeth and Hortense agree upon to help out Lisbeth's admirer? Who accompanies Hortense on this mission? Whom does her escort take notice of during this venture?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)