|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his dedication, to what job does the author compare his work as a novelist?
(a) Doctor of social medicine.
(b) Theatre actor.
(c) Professor of philosophy.
(d) Supreme Court Justice.
2. How much older is the Baroness than her cousin Bette?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Fifteen days.
3. To what animal does Monsieur Crevel compare Mademoiselle Hortense in his conversation with the Baroness?
(a) A nightingale.
(b) A thoroughbred horse.
(c) A pig.
(d) A fox.
4. What is Monsieur Crevel doing while waiting for the Baroness to enter the sitting room?
(a) Reading a newspaper.
(b) Combing his hair.
(c) Talking to himself.
(d) Looking at himself in a mirror.
5. For how long does Monsieur Crevel estimate that the Baroness will remain beautiful?
(a) A lifetime.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Wenceslas tell Lisbeth has purchased his group?
2. What is the amount of Mademoiselle Hortense's dowry expected to be?
3. What reason does Lisbeth give Hortense and the Baroness for Wenceslas' decision to go to Russia?
4. How does Wenceslas discover the identity of the person who arranges for his release from prison?
5. What job does the Baroness' son aspire to?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Wenceslas sells his bronze group, who comes to visit Lisbeth at her flat? What is the purpose of this visit?
2. Whom does Hortense decide to marry? What is the relationship between Hortense's intended and Lisbeth? Why does Baron Hulot tell her that Cousin Bette will not be an obstacle to Hortense's intended marriage?
3. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
4. What does Lisbeth advise Wenceslas to do after the visit from Monsieur Grasset and what reason does she give for this? What does she promise to do?
5. What solution does Monsieur Crevel propose to the Baroness for the problem of Hortense's dowry? What other options does he tell her she has available to her?
6. Who is the first character introduced in the novel? What information is surmised about his age? How is this information revealed?
7. What proof does Lisbeth provide of the existence of her admirer? What does she receive from Hortense in exchange for this information?
8. Whom does Wenceslas see when he returns home? Whom does he say has purchased his bronze group and offered him work?
9. Where does Monsieur Grasset take Wenceslas? Why does this happen to the young artist?
10. How does Lisbeth meet Wenceslas in the first place? What is the relationship between them after this first meeting?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)