|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word means animal of the rocks or chamois?
2. How are the Baroness and Monsieur Crevel related?
(a) The Baroness is married to Monsieur Crevel's uncle.
(b) Monsieur Crevel is married to the Baroness' cousin.
(c) The Baroness' son is married to Monsieur Crevel's daughter.
(d) Monsieur Crevel's son is married to the Baroness' daughter.
3. What job does the Baroness' son aspire to?
(a) A supreme court justice.
(b) Doing nothing.
(c) A general in the Army.
(d) A government minister.
4. What subject does Lisbeth's beau teach?
5. To what animal does Monsieur Crevel compare Mademoiselle Hortense in his conversation with the Baroness?
(a) A nightingale.
(b) A fox.
(c) A thoroughbred horse.
(d) A pig.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, what is the fundamental feature of Lisbeth's character?
2. What name does Monsieur Crevel give to the modern parable of Monsieur Hulot and his family?
3. To whom is Lisbeth apprenticed by the Baron?
4. What does Lisbeth surmise as the cause of her admirer's failed suicide attempt?
5. What had been Monsieur Crevel's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lisbeth tell Hortense and Adeline has happened to Wenceslas? How does Hortense react? How is Bette's lie discovered?
2. Who is the first character introduced in the novel? What information is surmised about his age? How is this information revealed?
3. Describe Lisbeth. How old is she? How does she dress? How does this affect her social standing in comparison to her cousin, the Baroness?
4. What plan do Lisbeth and Hortense agree upon to help out Lisbeth's admirer? Who accompanies Hortense on this mission? Whom does her escort take notice of during this venture?
5. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison? How does Wenceslas find out this information?
6. With whom does Lisbeth discuss the Baron's fascination with Valerie Marneffe? According to Lisbeth, what has Baron Hulot done to win her favor?
7. What information about Wenceslas' professional life does Valerie give to Lisbeth? What information about Wenceslas' personal life does she give Lisbeth? How does Lisbeth react to this news?
8. Whom does Hortense decide to marry? What is the relationship between Hortense's intended and Lisbeth? Why does Baron Hulot tell her that Cousin Bette will not be an obstacle to Hortense's intended marriage?
9. After Wenceslas sells his bronze group, who comes to visit Lisbeth at her flat? What is the purpose of this visit?
10. How do Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot know one another? How are they related? What occasioned their falling out?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)