|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom is Lisbeth on good terms in all of the houses she frequents?
(a) The servants.
(b) The young men.
(c) The pets.
(d) The children.
2. What happens just as Lisbeth is about to set up her own business?
(a) She goes bankrupt.
(b) She becomes gravely ill.
(c) She accepts a marriage proposal.
(d) The empire collapses.
3. Who is the author of Cousin Bette?
(a) Emile Zola.
(b) Jean-Luc Goddard.
(c) Gustave Flaubert.
(d) Honoré de Balzac.
4. What is the amount of Mademoiselle Hortense's dowry expected to be?
(a) Thirty thousand pesetas.
(b) Forty thousand francs.
(c) Five thousand pounds.
(d) Two hundred thousand livres.
5. How much older is the Baroness than her cousin Bette?
(a) Five years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Fifteen days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had been Monsieur Crevel's profession?
2. What does Lisbeth surmise as the cause of her admirer's failed suicide attempt?
3. What word means animal of the rocks or chamois?
4. Who considers herself to be the family confessional?
5. Who is Jenny Cadine's protector?
Short Essay Questions
1. What proof does Lisbeth provide of the existence of her admirer? What does she receive from Hortense in exchange for this information?
2. After Wenceslas sells his bronze group, who comes to visit Lisbeth at her flat? What is the purpose of this visit?
3. Whom does Wenceslas see when he returns home? Whom does he say has purchased his bronze group and offered him work?
4. Whom does Hortense decide to marry? What is the relationship between Hortense's intended and Lisbeth? Why does Baron Hulot tell her that Cousin Bette will not be an obstacle to Hortense's intended marriage?
5. Where does the Baron go after he finds the opera to be closed? What does he learn when he arrives there?
6. What does Lisbeth tell Hortense and Adeline has happened to Wenceslas? How does Hortense react? How is Bette's lie discovered?
7. What plan do Lisbeth and Hortense agree upon to help out Lisbeth's admirer? Who accompanies Hortense on this mission? Whom does her escort take notice of during this venture?
8. How does Lisbeth meet Wenceslas in the first place? What is the relationship between them after this first meeting?
9. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
10. Who is the first character introduced in the novel? What information is surmised about his age? How is this information revealed?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)