|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Monsieur Crevel suggest that Madame Hulot do to obtain a dowry for her daughter?
(a) Ask her cousin for a loan.
(b) Become his mistress.
(c) Ask her son for a loan.
(d) Become a seamstress.
2. What is the nationality of Lisbeth's romantic interest?
3. Who informs Lisbeth that Wenceslas is to marry Hortense?
(c) Madame Marneffe.
(d) The Baroness.
4. What is the profession of the Baroness' son?
5. Why is cousin Bette not accepted in society?
(a) She is handicapped.
(b) She is unmarried.
(c) She is poorly dressed.
(d) She is an orphan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lisbeth bring home to her admirer from the dinner parties she attends?
2. Who is Jenny Cadine's protector?
3. What does Lisbeth surmise as the cause of her admirer's failed suicide attempt?
4. What does the narrator consider to be "the most reliable thermometer of wealth in Parisian households"?
5. Who is Madame Marneffe's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
2. What publication makes Lisbeth so happy? What event begins a chain of events that will end this happiness?
3. Who is the first character introduced in the novel? What information is surmised about his age? How is this information revealed?
4. Why does Crevel visit Celestine and Victorin after a lapse of two years? How do they respond to his request?
5. What does Lisbeth tell Hortense and Adeline has happened to Wenceslas? How does Hortense react? How is Bette's lie discovered?
6. What plan does Adeline conceive to save her uncle? What is the outcome?
7. What solution does Crevel propose to Adeline in order to get the 200,000 francs? How does Adeline respond to this suggestion?
8. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
9. What does Celestine inherit from her father? To whom does Madame Valerie Crevel leave 300,000 francs in her will?
10. What are Adeline's dying words to Hector? Why is this significant?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)