|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What award does Monseiur Crevel wear on his National Guard uniform?
(a) A silver star.
(b) A ribbon of the Legion of Honor.
(c) A gold cross.
(d) A purple heart.
2. What item does Hortense promise Lisbeth in exchange for proof of her beau's existence?
(a) A feathered hat.
(b) A diamond necklace.
(c) A yellow cashmere shawl.
(d) A parasol.
3. Who informs Lisbeth that Wenceslas is to marry Hortense?
(b) Madame Marneffe.
(d) The Baroness.
4. Who steals Lisbeth's admirer?
(a) Celestine Crevel.
(c) The Baroness.
(d) Madame Marneffe.
5. What gift does the Emperor bestow on the Baroness when she is a young woman?
(a) A pearl necklace.
(b) A cashmere shawl.
(c) A medal of honor.
(d) A diamond necklace.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jenny Cadine's protector?
2. What particular significance does the name d'Ervy have to the Baron?
3. How does Wenceslas discover the identity of the person who arranges for his release from prison?
4. What reason does Lisbeth give Hortense and the Baroness for Wenceslas' decision to go to Russia?
5. What job does the Baroness' son aspire to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan do Lisbeth and Hortense agree upon to help out Lisbeth's admirer? Who accompanies Hortense on this mission? Whom does her escort take notice of during this venture?
2. Who is Valerie Marneffe's father? Why does she inherit nothing upon his death?
3. With whom does Lisbeth discuss the Baron's fascination with Valerie Marneffe? According to Lisbeth, what has Baron Hulot done to win her favor?
4. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
5. What does Lisbeth tell Hortense and Adeline has happened to Wenceslas? How does Hortense react? How is Bette's lie discovered?
6. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison? How does Wenceslas find out this information?
7. Describe Lisbeth. How old is she? How does she dress? How does this affect her social standing in comparison to her cousin, the Baroness?
8. What information about Wenceslas' professional life does Valerie give to Lisbeth? What information about Wenceslas' personal life does she give Lisbeth? How does Lisbeth react to this news?
9. Where does Monsieur Grasset take Wenceslas? Why does this happen to the young artist?
10. Where does the Baron go after he finds the opera to be closed? What does he learn when he arrives there?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)