|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens just as Lisbeth is about to set up her own business?
(a) She becomes gravely ill.
(b) The empire collapses.
(c) She accepts a marriage proposal.
(d) She goes bankrupt.
2. According to the narrator, what is the fundamental feature of Lisbeth's character?
3. Who informs Lisbeth that Wenceslas is to marry Hortense?
(a) The Baroness.
(b) Madame Marneffe.
4. What is the amount of Mademoiselle Hortense's dowry expected to be?
(a) Forty thousand francs.
(b) Thirty thousand pesetas.
(c) Two hundred thousand livres.
(d) Five thousand pounds.
5. How does Wenceslas discover the identity of the person who arranges for his release from prison?
(a) A personal visit.
(b) A court document.
(c) A letter.
(d) Word of mouth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What commission does the Baron get for Lisbeth's admirer?
2. Where does the Baroness come from?
3. What does Monsieur Crevel suggest that Madame Hulot do to obtain a dowry for her daughter?
4. Why is cousin Bette not accepted in society?
5. How much older is the Baroness than her cousin Bette?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lisbeth meet Wenceslas in the first place? What is the relationship between them after this first meeting?
2. Whom does Wenceslas see when he returns home? Whom does he say has purchased his bronze group and offered him work?
3. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
4. Who is the first character introduced in the novel? What information is surmised about his age? How is this information revealed?
5. After Wenceslas sells his bronze group, who comes to visit Lisbeth at her flat? What is the purpose of this visit?
6. What plan do Lisbeth and Hortense agree upon to help out Lisbeth's admirer? Who accompanies Hortense on this mission? Whom does her escort take notice of during this venture?
7. Whom does Hortense decide to marry? What is the relationship between Hortense's intended and Lisbeth? Why does Baron Hulot tell her that Cousin Bette will not be an obstacle to Hortense's intended marriage?
8. What proof does Lisbeth provide of the existence of her admirer? What does she receive from Hortense in exchange for this information?
9. Describe Lisbeth. How old is she? How does she dress? How does this affect her social standing in comparison to her cousin, the Baroness?
10. Who is Valerie Marneffe's father? Why does she inherit nothing upon his death?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)