|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sees Monsieur Hulot in a front stall at the Varietes with Jenny Cadine?
(a) Mademoiselle Hortense.
(b) Cousin Bette.
(c) The Baroness.
(d) Monsieur Hulot's son.
2. What is the difference in age between Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot?
(a) Hulot is seven years younger.
(b) Crevel is ten years younger.
(c) Hulot is ten years younger.
(d) Crevel is seven years younger.
3. What does Lisbeth surmise as the cause of her admirer's failed suicide attempt?
(d) A broken heart.
4. Where does the Baroness come from?
5. How do Monsieur Hulot and Monsieur Crevel become acquainted?
(a) Through their children.
(b) Through their mistresses.
(c) Through their military service.
(d) Through their parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Lisbeth give Wenceslas to convince him not to write to anyone from jail about his predicament?
2. What nickname does the Baron give to Lisbeth?
3. What is Jenny Cadine's profession?
4. What is the significance of the name Mirah?
5. What does Monsieur Crevel suggest that Madame Hulot do to obtain a dowry for her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
2. Describe Lisbeth. How old is she? How does she dress? How does this affect her social standing in comparison to her cousin, the Baroness?
3. Where does Monsieur Grasset take Wenceslas? Why does this happen to the young artist?
4. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
5. What solution does Monsieur Crevel propose to the Baroness for the problem of Hortense's dowry? What other options does he tell her she has available to her?
6. How does Lisbeth meet Wenceslas in the first place? What is the relationship between them after this first meeting?
7. What plan do Lisbeth and Hortense agree upon to help out Lisbeth's admirer? Who accompanies Hortense on this mission? Whom does her escort take notice of during this venture?
8. What information about Wenceslas' professional life does Valerie give to Lisbeth? What information about Wenceslas' personal life does she give Lisbeth? How does Lisbeth react to this news?
9. Where does the Baron go after he finds the opera to be closed? What does he learn when he arrives there?
10. What does Lisbeth advise Wenceslas to do after the visit from Monsieur Grasset and what reason does she give for this? What does she promise to do?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)