|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word means animal of the rocks or chamois?
2. Who sees Monsieur Hulot in a front stall at the Varietes with Jenny Cadine?
(a) The Baroness.
(b) Mademoiselle Hortense.
(c) Cousin Bette.
(d) Monsieur Hulot's son.
3. What financial difficulty do the Marneffes face?
(a) They are behind on their rent payments.
(b) They have no source of income.
(c) They have medical expenses.
(d) They have to pay off Madame Marneffe's family's debts.
4. Who is Madame Marneffe's father?
(a) The Comte of Clichy.
(b) Monsieur Crevel.
(c) The Baron.
(d) The Comte of Montcornet.
5. How does Lisbeth know the Marneffes?
(a) Lisbeth worked for Monsieur Marneffe.
(b) They live in the same building.
(c) They work in the same building.
(d) They attend the same church.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author dedicates the novel to a scholar who studies which writer?
2. What does the narrator consider to be "the most reliable thermometer of wealth in Parisian households"?
3. What does Lisbeth surmise as the cause of her admirer's failed suicide attempt?
4. In his dedication, to what job does the author compare his work as a novelist?
5. What gift does the Emperor bestow on the Baroness when she is a young woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the Baron go after he finds the opera to be closed? What does he learn when he arrives there?
2. What plan do Lisbeth and Hortense agree upon to help out Lisbeth's admirer? Who accompanies Hortense on this mission? Whom does her escort take notice of during this venture?
3. Whom does Hortense decide to marry? What is the relationship between Hortense's intended and Lisbeth? Why does Baron Hulot tell her that Cousin Bette will not be an obstacle to Hortense's intended marriage?
4. What does Lisbeth tell Hortense and Adeline has happened to Wenceslas? How does Hortense react? How is Bette's lie discovered?
5. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
6. Where does Monsieur Grasset take Wenceslas? Why does this happen to the young artist?
7. What information about Wenceslas' professional life does Valerie give to Lisbeth? What information about Wenceslas' personal life does she give Lisbeth? How does Lisbeth react to this news?
8. What proof does Lisbeth provide of the existence of her admirer? What does she receive from Hortense in exchange for this information?
9. After Wenceslas sells his bronze group, who comes to visit Lisbeth at her flat? What is the purpose of this visit?
10. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison? How does Wenceslas find out this information?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)