|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What particular significance does the name d'Ervy have to the Baron?
(a) It is the site of a famous battle.
(b) It is his birthplace.
(c) It is the name of his first love.
(d) It is his mother's maiden name.
2. What gift does the Emperor bestow on the Baroness when she is a young woman?
(a) A pearl necklace.
(b) A medal of honor.
(c) A cashmere shawl.
(d) A diamond necklace.
3. What item does Hortense promise Lisbeth in exchange for proof of her beau's existence?
(a) A diamond necklace.
(b) A yellow cashmere shawl.
(c) A parasol.
(d) A feathered hat.
4. With what major event do the beginnings of Monsieur Hulot's infidelities coincide?
(a) The French Revolution.
(b) The end of the monarchy.
(c) The end of the empire.
(d) The Glorious Revolution.
5. How does Lisbeth know the Marneffes?
(a) Lisbeth worked for Monsieur Marneffe.
(b) They live in the same building.
(c) They work in the same building.
(d) They attend the same church.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Monsieur Hulot and Monsieur Crevel become acquainted?
2. How long has Monsieur Crevel been a widower?
3. Why is Madame Marneffe denied an inheritance?
4. What does Lisbeth surmise as the cause of her admirer's failed suicide attempt?
5. Where does the Baroness come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
2. Describe Lisbeth. How old is she? How does she dress? How does this affect her social standing in comparison to her cousin, the Baroness?
3. When Adeline asks Hector to return home, what does he ask if he can bring with him? How does Adeline respond to this request?
4. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
5. What does Baron Hulot do after his wife's death? When does Victorin next hear news of him and what is the news that he receives?
6. How does Valerie use her pregnancy to benefit financially and socially? Which men are affected by this news?
7. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
8. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
9. When he returns home after speaking to Valerie about the impossibility of Marneffe's promotion, what does Hector catch Adeline doing? With what intention did he return to his family that evening?
10. Why does Crevel visit Celestine and Victorin after a lapse of two years? How do they respond to his request?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)