|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what animal does Monsieur Crevel compare Mademoiselle Hortense in his conversation with the Baroness?
(a) A thoroughbred horse.
(b) A fox.
(c) A nightingale.
(d) A pig.
2. What award does Monseiur Crevel wear on his National Guard uniform?
(a) A gold cross.
(b) A purple heart.
(c) A ribbon of the Legion of Honor.
(d) A silver star.
3. Who considers herself to be the family confessional?
(c) Jenny Cadine.
4. What is Monsieur Crevel doing while waiting for the Baroness to enter the sitting room?
(a) Reading a newspaper.
(b) Talking to himself.
(c) Looking at himself in a mirror.
(d) Combing his hair.
5. How long had Lisbeth's beau been working on the figurine she shows to Hortense?
(a) Two years.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) Ten months.
(d) Twelve months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of the name Mirah?
2. Who is the author of Cousin Bette?
3. Who buys the group from Wenceslas?
4. What particular significance does the name d'Ervy have to the Baron?
5. With what major event do the beginnings of Monsieur Hulot's infidelities coincide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Adeline's dying words to Hector? Why is this significant?
2. Where does the Baron go after he finds the opera to be closed? What does he learn when he arrives there?
3. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
4. What two events in Valerie Marneffe's life in March of 1843 take place? What does this mean for Valerie?
5. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
6. What news is in the letter to Wenceslas from Valerie? What plan does she concoct for the interception of the letter and why?
7. What solution does Bette give for Hortense and Wenceslas' money troubles? Why does Hortense object to this solution?
8. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison? How does Wenceslas find out this information?
9. What are the three beauty spots that Valerie Marneffe arranges for her first meeting with Wenceslas? What is Wenceslas' impression of Valerie?
10. In his letter to the Baron, what does Johann Fischer ask for? What is his plan if Hector cannot help him?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)