|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who informs Lisbeth that Wenceslas is to marry Hortense?
(a) The Baroness.
(b) Madame Marneffe.
2. Who steals Lisbeth's admirer?
(a) Madame Marneffe.
(b) Celestine Crevel.
(c) The Baroness.
3. What nickname does the Baron give to Lisbeth?
4. Who sees Monsieur Hulot in a front stall at the Varietes with Jenny Cadine?
(a) Cousin Bette.
(b) Mademoiselle Hortense.
(c) The Baroness.
(d) Monsieur Hulot's son.
5. What is Monsieur Crevel doing while waiting for the Baroness to enter the sitting room?
(a) Talking to himself.
(b) Reading a newspaper.
(c) Combing his hair.
(d) Looking at himself in a mirror.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of Cousin Bette?
2. How do Monsieur Hulot and Monsieur Crevel become acquainted?
3. What job does the Baroness' son aspire to?
4. Who does Wenceslas tell Lisbeth has purchased his group?
5. Why does the Baron decide to give Lisbeth a trade?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Valerie Marneffe's father? Why does she inherit nothing upon his death?
2. Why does the Baroness summon Monsieur Crevel? Which of Monsieur Crevel's actions have affected the Baroness? Why has he acted this way?
3. Where does Monsieur Grasset take Wenceslas? Why does this happen to the young artist?
4. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
5. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison? How does Wenceslas find out this information?
6. What solution does Monsieur Crevel propose to the Baroness for the problem of Hortense's dowry? What other options does he tell her she has available to her?
7. What information about Wenceslas' professional life does Valerie give to Lisbeth? What information about Wenceslas' personal life does she give Lisbeth? How does Lisbeth react to this news?
8. What plan do Lisbeth and Hortense agree upon to help out Lisbeth's admirer? Who accompanies Hortense on this mission? Whom does her escort take notice of during this venture?
9. With whom does Lisbeth discuss the Baron's fascination with Valerie Marneffe? According to Lisbeth, what has Baron Hulot done to win her favor?
10. Whom does Hortense decide to marry? What is the relationship between Hortense's intended and Lisbeth? Why does Baron Hulot tell her that Cousin Bette will not be an obstacle to Hortense's intended marriage?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)