|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison?
(c) The Baron.
2. Who buys the group from Wenceslas?
(a) Monsieur Crevel.
(c) The Baron.
(d) Monsieur Marneffe.
3. What gift does the Emperor bestow on the Baroness when she is a young woman?
(a) A cashmere shawl.
(b) A medal of honor.
(c) A pearl necklace.
(d) A diamond necklace.
4. What reason does Lisbeth give Hortense and the Baroness for Wenceslas' decision to go to Russia?
(a) He has political motivations for going there.
(b) He has received a letter from his wife summoning him.
(c) He has fled from his debts in France.
(d) He has been offered a commission by the Czar.
5. What does Lisbeth bring home to her admirer from the dinner parties she attends?
(b) Fruit and sweets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What commission does the Baron get for Lisbeth's admirer?
2. How much older is the Baroness than her cousin Bette?
3. What financial difficulty do the Marneffes face?
4. What word means animal of the rocks or chamois?
5. What is Monsieur Crevel doing while waiting for the Baroness to enter the sitting room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the first character introduced in the novel? What information is surmised about his age? How is this information revealed?
2. Who is Valerie Marneffe's father? Why does she inherit nothing upon his death?
3. Describe Lisbeth. How old is she? How does she dress? How does this affect her social standing in comparison to her cousin, the Baroness?
4. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison? How does Wenceslas find out this information?
5. How do Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot know one another? How are they related? What occasioned their falling out?
6. With whom does Lisbeth discuss the Baron's fascination with Valerie Marneffe? According to Lisbeth, what has Baron Hulot done to win her favor?
7. What does Lisbeth tell Hortense and Adeline has happened to Wenceslas? How does Hortense react? How is Bette's lie discovered?
8. Where does the Baron go after he finds the opera to be closed? What does he learn when he arrives there?
9. Whom does Wenceslas see when he returns home? Whom does he say has purchased his bronze group and offered him work?
10. What information about Wenceslas' professional life does Valerie give to Lisbeth? What information about Wenceslas' personal life does she give Lisbeth? How does Lisbeth react to this news?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)