|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had been Monsieur Crevel's profession?
2. What gift does the Emperor bestow on the Baroness when she is a young woman?
(a) A pearl necklace.
(b) A medal of honor.
(c) A cashmere shawl.
(d) A diamond necklace.
3. Who is Jenny Cadine's protector?
(a) Monsieur Hulot.
(b) Monsieur Crevel.
(c) The Baroness.
(d) Cousin Bette.
4. What award does Monseiur Crevel wear on his National Guard uniform?
(a) A gold cross.
(b) A ribbon of the Legion of Honor.
(c) A purple heart.
(d) A silver star.
5. What does Lisbeth bring home to her admirer from the dinner parties she attends?
(a) Fruit and sweets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Lisbeth give Wenceslas to convince him not to write to anyone from jail about his predicament?
2. With what major event do the beginnings of Monsieur Hulot's infidelities coincide?
3. How do Monsieur Hulot and Monsieur Crevel become acquainted?
4. Who considers herself to be the family confessional?
5. How many suitors has Lisbeth rejected?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Wenceslas sells his bronze group, who comes to visit Lisbeth at her flat? What is the purpose of this visit?
2. Who interrupts Valerie and Hector during their clandestine meeting in Crevel's love nest? By whom is this character accompanied? What does this character tell the Baron about Valerie Marneffe and her husband?
3. What is Hector Hulot's profession while he is living in the Rue de Charonne? What name does he go under while he is living there?
4. What has happened to Wenceslas professionally in the three years since he has married Hortense? To what is this change attributed?
5. How does the family respond to Baron Hulot's return? What becomes of Lisbeth?
6. Who is the first character introduced in the novel? What information is surmised about his age? How is this information revealed?
7. How does Lisbeth describe her relationship with Wenceslas to Valerie Marneffe? What proof of his connection to Hortense does Valerie show to Lisbeth?
8. How does Adeline come into contact with Atala Judici? With whom is Adeline reunited through this encounter?
9. Whom does Hector ask to solve his compromising situation with the Marneffes? What does this character do to help the Baron?
10. How does Lisbeth meet Wenceslas in the first place? What is the relationship between them after this first meeting?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)