|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hortense decide to do after she receives proof of Wenceslas' infidelity?
(a) Kill herself.
(b) Take Stidman as a lover.
(c) Kill Wenceslas.
(d) Pack her things and move in with her mother.
2. What does Crevel give to Valerie in exchange for her promise of being his exclusively?
(a) A dressing gown.
(b) A house.
(c) A statue.
(d) A necklace.
3. What piece of evidence does Crevel provide the Baron with to prove his clandestine meetings with Valerie in his little house on the Rue du Dauphin?
(a) A hat.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A letter.
4. What significant change to his appearance does Valerie induce Baron Hulot to make?
(a) He stops dying his hair.
(b) He stops wearing his military uniform.
(c) He loses weight.
(d) He shaves off his beard.
5. What does Stidman tell Wenceslas to get him to leave his second meeting with Valerie and return home?
(a) His son is ill.
(b) His son is dying.
(c) His wife is in trouble.
(d) His wife is dying.
6. At what time does Wenceslas arrive home after dining with Valerie Marneffe?
(b) Three o'clock in the morning.
(c) Eleven o'clock in the evening.
(d) One o'clock in the morning.
7. How much does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the silver group ordered by Valerie?
(a) Three thousand sous.
(b) Ten thousand francs.
(c) Fifteen hundred pounds.
(d) A thousand crowns.
8. With whom does Wenceslas claim to be dining while he is at Valerie Marneffe's house?
(a) Stidman and Wissembourg.
(b) Chanor and Florent.
(c) Vignon and Vauvinet.
(d) Hulot and Crevel.
9. Who inadvertently informs Hortense that Wenceslas had lied to her about his whereabouts the evening that he dined with Valerie Marneffe?
(a) Baron Hulot.
10. After Hector receives bad news from Johann Fischer, what bad news does he receive from Valerie in a letter?
(a) She has suffered a miscarriage.
(b) Her husband has forbidden her from receiving him in her home.
(c) Her husband has passed away.
(d) Crevel has discovered the truth about their relationship and is furious.
11. What book does Adeline read constantly after being banished to her apartment on the Rue Plumet?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) The Sorrows of Young Werther.
(c) The Holy Bible.
(d) Imitation of Christ.
12. What solution does Bette offer first when Hortense explains her financial predicament?
(a) She tells Hortense to pawn all of her valuables.
(b) She counsels Hortense to ask Adeline for money.
(c) She advises Hortense to sell her diamonds.
(d) She suggests they help her arrange a marriage to Marshal Hulot.
13. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
14. To whom does Adeline give the little money she has received from the Baron, thereby depriving herself even of food?
15. Where is Monsieur le Baron Henri Montes de Montejanos from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Monsieur Crevel give Valerie in exchange for her company?
2. What bad news does Johann Fischer communicate to Hector Hulot in a letter?
3. Where does Valerie mention having seen Wenceslas in person before their first formal meeting in her house?
4. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
5. How does Valerie explain her relationship to Montejanos?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)