|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stidman tell Wenceslas to get him to leave his second meeting with Valerie and return home?
(a) His son is dying.
(b) His wife is in trouble.
(c) His wife is dying.
(d) His son is ill.
2. How much does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the silver group ordered by Valerie?
(a) Ten thousand francs.
(b) A thousand crowns.
(c) Fifteen hundred pounds.
(d) Three thousand sous.
3. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
(a) He sells his furniture.
(b) He hands over his retirement funds.
(c) He asks Valerie Marneffe for a loan.
(d) He mortgages his house.
4. How do Crevel and Hulot feel about Montejanos' arrival?
5. What does Wenceslas produce in the early part of his marriage in addition to and contrasting with the statue he has been hired to design by the Prince of Wissembourg?
(a) A child.
(b) Fine jewelry.
(c) A book of poetry.
(d) An opera.
6. To whom does Adeline give the little money she has received from the Baron, thereby depriving herself even of food?
7. Why does Stidman try to stay away from Wenceslas' house?
(a) He does not like Bette.
(b) He is attracted to Hortense.
(c) He is angry with Wenceslas.
(d) He does not like Hortense.
8. Which biblical figures does Valerie ask Wenceslas to sculpt for her?
(a) Moses and Aaron.
(b) David and Goliath.
(c) Cain and Abel.
(d) Samson and Delilah.
9. How does Lisbeth control Valerie's potential household expenses?
(a) She encourages Valerie to dine out instead of hosting dinners at home.
(b) She does the cooking and washing herself.
(c) She contributes the profits from her embroidery work to the household budget.
(d) She finds her a cook from Vosges and accompanies her to the market.
10. What is Vauvinet's profession?
(b) Government Official.
11. What does Hortense decide to do after she receives proof of Wenceslas' infidelity?
(a) Kill herself.
(b) Pack her things and move in with her mother.
(c) Take Stidman as a lover.
(d) Kill Wenceslas.
12. What piece of art created by Wenceslas is generating extreme criticism from his fellow artists, including Stidman?
(a) A sculpture of Samson and Delilah.
(b) A statue of Marshal Montcornet.
(c) A silver group depicting deer.
(d) A statue of Marshal Hulot.
13. What piece of evidence does Crevel provide the Baron with to prove his clandestine meetings with Valerie in his little house on the Rue du Dauphin?
(a) A hat.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A letter.
14. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
(a) A decent woman.
(b) A society woman.
(c) A talented woman.
(d) A beautiful woman.
15. Where does Valerie arrange to meet Montejanos clandestinely after her guests have retired?
(a) Montejanos' hotel.
(b) Bette's flat.
(c) Valerie's chambers.
(d) Montejanos' carriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baron Hulot agree to provide for Valerie Marneffe's second child?
2. What significant change to his appearance does Valerie induce Baron Hulot to make?
3. What does Monsieur Marneffe do when Hector tries to enter his house after receiving Valerie's letter?
4. How does Valerie explain her relationship to Montejanos?
5. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)