|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Early in their relationship, who refuses to accompany the Baron to Valerie's house despite her entreaties?
(a) Wenceslas Steinbock.
(b) Monsieur Stidman.
(c) Monsieur Coquet.
(d) Madame Crevel.
2. When Crevel goes to Valerie's flat the morning after his revelation to Hulot, whom does he find at the breakfast table with her?
(a) Montejanos and Steinbock.
(b) Lisbeth and Hulot.
(c) Montejanos and Lisbeth.
(d) Hulot and Steinbock.
3. How do Crevel and Hulot feel about Montejanos' arrival?
4. At whose suggestion does Lisbeth change her appearance?
(a) Adeline Hulot.
(b) Hortense Hulot.
(c) Celestine Crevel.
(d) Valerie Marneffe.
5. What solution does Bette offer first when Hortense explains her financial predicament?
(a) She tells Hortense to pawn all of her valuables.
(b) She counsels Hortense to ask Adeline for money.
(c) She advises Hortense to sell her diamonds.
(d) She suggests they help her arrange a marriage to Marshal Hulot.
6. What bad news does Johann Fischer communicate to Hector Hulot in a letter?
(a) A Public Prosecutor is investigating Hector and Johann's dealings in Algeria.
(b) Johann Fischer is terminally ill and does not have long to live.
(c) The War Ministry has exhausted all of its funds in Algeria.
(d) Johann Fischer has been left by his wife.
7. What does Baron Hulot agree to provide for Valerie Marneffe's second child?
(a) The Hulot family name.
(b) Twelve hundred francs per year.
(c) A place to live.
(d) A job in government service when he reaches adulthood.
8. How does Adeline attempt to console Hortense after her first quarrel with Wenceslas?
(a) She tells her that all men are animals.
(b) She assures her that Valerie Marneffe is a decent woman.
(c) She reminds her that Wenceslas has never lied to her before.
(d) She confesses Hector's infidelities.
9. How does Valerie explain her relationship to Montejanos?
(a) She explains that they had been lovers.
(b) She claims he is Monsieur Marneffe's nephew.
(c) She claims they are cousins.
(d) She pretends she has never met him.
10. Where does Valerie arrange to meet Montejanos clandestinely after her guests have retired?
(a) Bette's flat.
(b) Montejanos' carriage.
(c) Montejanos' hotel.
(d) Valerie's chambers.
11. What complaint does Lisbeth have when the Baron goes to her flat looking for Valerie?
(b) A toothache.
(d) A migraine.
12. Why does Valerie want Baron Hulot to bring Wenceslas to dine with them?
(a) She wants to seduce him.
(b) She wants to humiliate him.
(c) She admires his talent.
(d) She is awed by his fame.
13. Who inadvertently informs Hortense that Wenceslas had lied to her about his whereabouts the evening that he dined with Valerie Marneffe?
(c) Baron Hulot.
14. What significant change to his appearance does Valerie induce Baron Hulot to make?
(a) He stops wearing his military uniform.
(b) He loses weight.
(c) He stops dying his hair.
(d) He shaves off his beard.
15. What does Crevel give to Valerie in exchange for her promise of being his exclusively?
(a) A statue.
(b) A house.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A dressing gown.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hortense tell Wenceslas she would have done in retribution if she had discovered that he was having an affair after their first quarrel?
2. What circumstances led to Stidman's introduction to Valerie in the Rue Vaneau?
3. How long after moving to the Rue Vaneau does Valerie wait before receiving Monsieur Crevel?
4. Lisbeth offers to arrange a loan on good terms for Hortense and Wenceslas from whom?
5. Who intercepts the letter that Valerie writes to Wenceslas?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)