|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who inadvertently informs Hortense that Wenceslas had lied to her about his whereabouts the evening that he dined with Valerie Marneffe?
(d) Baron Hulot.
2. At whose suggestion does Lisbeth change her appearance?
(a) Hortense Hulot.
(b) Valerie Marneffe.
(c) Adeline Hulot.
(d) Celestine Crevel.
3. Early in their relationship, who refuses to accompany the Baron to Valerie's house despite her entreaties?
(a) Madame Crevel.
(b) Monsieur Coquet.
(c) Wenceslas Steinbock.
(d) Monsieur Stidman.
4. What solution does Bette offer first when Hortense explains her financial predicament?
(a) She tells Hortense to pawn all of her valuables.
(b) She suggests they help her arrange a marriage to Marshal Hulot.
(c) She advises Hortense to sell her diamonds.
(d) She counsels Hortense to ask Adeline for money.
5. Whom does Lisbeth dream of marrying?
(a) Johann Fischer.
(b) Monsieur Crevel.
(c) Marshall Hulot.
(d) Monsieur Stidman.
6. How does Adeline attempt to console Hortense after her first quarrel with Wenceslas?
(a) She reminds her that Wenceslas has never lied to her before.
(b) She confesses Hector's infidelities.
(c) She tells her that all men are animals.
(d) She assures her that Valerie Marneffe is a decent woman.
7. Lisbeth offers to arrange a loan on good terms for Hortense and Wenceslas from whom?
(a) Valerie Marneffe.
(b) Celestin Crevel.
(c) Marshal Hulot.
(d) The Duc d´Hérouville.
8. After Hector receives bad news from Johann Fischer, what bad news does he receive from Valerie in a letter?
(a) Crevel has discovered the truth about their relationship and is furious.
(b) Her husband has passed away.
(c) Her husband has forbidden her from receiving him in her home.
(d) She has suffered a miscarriage.
9. What does Wenceslas produce in the early part of his marriage in addition to and contrasting with the statue he has been hired to design by the Prince of Wissembourg?
(a) A child.
(b) An opera.
(c) A book of poetry.
(d) Fine jewelry.
10. Why does Stidman try to stay away from Wenceslas' house?
(a) He does not like Bette.
(b) He is angry with Wenceslas.
(c) He does not like Hortense.
(d) He is attracted to Hortense.
11. What does Monsieur Crevel give Valerie in exchange for her company?
(a) A new carriage.
(b) A pearl necklace.
(c) Six thousand francs per year.
(d) Three thousand francs per year.
12. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
(a) A talented woman.
(b) A society woman.
(c) A decent woman.
(d) A beautiful woman.
13. When the quartermaster arrives to speak privately with Hector, what does he expect the man has brought for him?
(a) A letter from Johann Fischer.
(b) Money from Algeria.
(c) A new uniform.
(d) News from the Prince of Wissembourg.
14. What circumstances led to Stidman's introduction to Valerie in the Rue Vaneau?
(a) The end of his relationship with Madame Schontz.
(b) His need for a loan.
(c) The end of his friendship with Wenceslas.
(d) His need for a job.
15. What does Monsieur Marneffe do when Hector tries to enter his house after receiving Valerie's letter?
(a) He threatens Hector with a pistol.
(b) He beats Hector up.
(c) He calls the police.
(d) He threatens Valerie with a pistol.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the silver group ordered by Valerie?
2. After Wenceslas and Hortense quarrel about Valerie Marneffe, where does Lisbeth go to live?
3. To whom does Adeline give the little money she has received from the Baron, thereby depriving herself even of food?
4. How does Valerie explain her relationship to Montejanos?
5. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)