|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hortense react upon learning that Wenceslas has lied to her about his whereabouts?
(a) She starts breaking things in the room and has to be restrained.
(b) She laughs it off.
(c) She faints and has nervous convulsions.
(d) She becomes sad, shouts and begins to cry.
2. Who intercepts the letter that Valerie writes to Wenceslas?
3. How does Lisbeth control Valerie's potential household expenses?
(a) She encourages Valerie to dine out instead of hosting dinners at home.
(b) She does the cooking and washing herself.
(c) She contributes the profits from her embroidery work to the household budget.
(d) She finds her a cook from Vosges and accompanies her to the market.
4. Where does Bette convince Wenceslas to go despite Hortense forbidding him from doing so?
(a) Stidman's house.
(b) His studio.
(c) Valerie Marneffe's house.
(d) Celestin Crevel's house.
5. Why does Stidman try to stay away from Wenceslas' house?
(a) He does not like Bette.
(b) He does not like Hortense.
(c) He is attracted to Hortense.
(d) He is angry with Wenceslas.
6. What does Baron Hulot agree to provide for Valerie Marneffe's second child?
(a) Twelve hundred francs per year.
(b) A place to live.
(c) The Hulot family name.
(d) A job in government service when he reaches adulthood.
7. How do Crevel and Hulot feel about Montejanos' arrival?
8. Which biblical figures does Valerie ask Wenceslas to sculpt for her?
(a) David and Goliath.
(b) Moses and Aaron.
(c) Cain and Abel.
(d) Samson and Delilah.
9. With whom does Wenceslas claim to be dining while he is at Valerie Marneffe's house?
(a) Hulot and Crevel.
(b) Chanor and Florent.
(c) Stidman and Wissembourg.
(d) Vignon and Vauvinet.
10. Who gives money to Adeline's cook so that she may provide a meal for the family?
(a) Marshal Hulot.
(b) Monsieur Crevel.
(c) Baron Hulot.
(d) Victorin Hulot.
11. Who is the third man to whom Valerie Marneffe tells he is going to be the father of her child?
12. Who inadvertently informs Hortense that Wenceslas had lied to her about his whereabouts the evening that he dined with Valerie Marneffe?
(d) Baron Hulot.
13. Where does Valerie mention having seen Wenceslas in person before their first formal meeting in her house?
(a) His wedding.
(b) His studio.
(c) Lisbeth's flat.
14. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
(a) News articles criticizing his work.
(b) A lover.
(c) A pregnancy.
(d) Money that she borrowed from her mother.
15. What does Monsieur Crevel give Valerie in exchange for her company?
(a) Six thousand francs per year.
(b) A pearl necklace.
(c) Three thousand francs per year.
(d) A new carriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what condition does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the biblically-themed figure that Wenceslas is sculpting for Valerie Marneffe?
2. What significant change to his appearance does Valerie induce Baron Hulot to make?
3. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
4. What circumstances led to Stidman's introduction to Valerie in the Rue Vaneau?
5. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)