|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Monsieur le Baron Henri Montes de Montejanos from?
2. Where does Valerie arrange to meet Montejanos clandestinely after her guests have retired?
(a) Montejanos' carriage.
(b) Montejanos' hotel.
(c) Valerie's chambers.
(d) Bette's flat.
3. At whose suggestion does Lisbeth change her appearance?
(a) Adeline Hulot.
(b) Valerie Marneffe.
(c) Celestine Crevel.
(d) Hortense Hulot.
4. Who gives money to Adeline's cook so that she may provide a meal for the family?
(a) Baron Hulot.
(b) Marshal Hulot.
(c) Victorin Hulot.
(d) Monsieur Crevel.
5. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
(a) A pregnancy.
(b) Money that she borrowed from her mother.
(c) A lover.
(d) News articles criticizing his work.
6. Whose post in the War Ministry does Baron Hulot attempt to obtain for Marneffe?
(a) Monsieur Coquet's.
(b) The Prince of Wissembourg's.
(c) Marshal Hulot's.
(d) The Duc d'Herounville's.
7. Where does Bette convince Wenceslas to go despite Hortense forbidding him from doing so?
(a) Stidman's house.
(b) Celestin Crevel's house.
(c) His studio.
(d) Valerie Marneffe's house.
8. How much does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the silver group ordered by Valerie?
(a) A thousand crowns.
(b) Fifteen hundred pounds.
(c) Three thousand sous.
(d) Ten thousand francs.
9. What is Vauvinet's profession?
(d) Government Official.
10. What does Stidman tell Wenceslas to get him to leave his second meeting with Valerie and return home?
(a) His wife is in trouble.
(b) His son is dying.
(c) His son is ill.
(d) His wife is dying.
11. What does Baron Hulot agree to provide for Valerie Marneffe's second child?
(a) A job in government service when he reaches adulthood.
(b) A place to live.
(c) The Hulot family name.
(d) Twelve hundred francs per year.
12. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
(a) A society woman.
(b) A decent woman.
(c) A beautiful woman.
(d) A talented woman.
13. How do Crevel and Hulot feel about Montejanos' arrival?
14. How does Hortense react upon learning that Wenceslas has lied to her about his whereabouts?
(a) She becomes sad, shouts and begins to cry.
(b) She faints and has nervous convulsions.
(c) She laughs it off.
(d) She starts breaking things in the room and has to be restrained.
15. How many beauty spots does Valerie Marneffe arrange on her person for her first meeting with Wenceslas?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Monsieur Marneffe do when Hector tries to enter his house after receiving Valerie's letter?
2. Where does Wenceslas tell Hortense he plans to go early the next morning following his dinner with Valerie?
3. When Crevel goes to Valerie's flat the morning after his revelation to Hulot, whom does he find at the breakfast table with her?
4. What circumstances led to Stidman's introduction to Valerie in the Rue Vaneau?
5. What does Hortense decide to do after she receives proof of Wenceslas' infidelity?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)