|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Monsieur Marneffe do when Hector tries to enter his house after receiving Valerie's letter?
(a) He threatens Valerie with a pistol.
(b) He calls the police.
(c) He threatens Hector with a pistol.
(d) He beats Hector up.
2. What does Baron Hulot agree to provide for Valerie Marneffe's second child?
(a) A place to live.
(b) Twelve hundred francs per year.
(c) The Hulot family name.
(d) A job in government service when he reaches adulthood.
3. What news does Valerie reveal to Wenceslas in the first letter she writes to him?
(a) She is canceling her order.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is hosting a party.
(d) She is moving into a new house.
4. What is happening when the arrival of the Baron Montes de Montejanos is announced?
(a) Valerie and Lisbeth are scheming to have the Marshal propose marriage to Bette.
(b) Valerie and Crevel are having an argument in her room.
(c) Guests are playing games in Valerie Marneffe's drawing-room.
(d) Valerie and Baron Hulot are sitting down to dinner.
5. Who gives money to Adeline's cook so that she may provide a meal for the family?
(a) Victorin Hulot.
(b) Baron Hulot.
(c) Monsieur Crevel.
(d) Marshal Hulot.
6. How much does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the silver group ordered by Valerie?
(a) A thousand crowns.
(b) Ten thousand francs.
(c) Fifteen hundred pounds.
(d) Three thousand sous.
7. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
(a) A society woman.
(b) A beautiful woman.
(c) A talented woman.
(d) A decent woman.
8. Whom does Lisbeth dream of marrying?
(a) Monsieur Crevel.
(b) Monsieur Stidman.
(c) Marshall Hulot.
(d) Johann Fischer.
9. Where is Monsieur le Baron Henri Montes de Montejanos from?
10. What does Monsieur Crevel give Valerie in exchange for her company?
(a) A pearl necklace.
(b) A new carriage.
(c) Three thousand francs per year.
(d) Six thousand francs per year.
11. What book does Adeline read constantly after being banished to her apartment on the Rue Plumet?
(a) The Sorrows of Young Werther.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) Imitation of Christ.
(d) The Holy Bible.
12. What does Hortense tell Wenceslas she would have done in retribution if she had discovered that he was having an affair after their first quarrel?
(a) Taken Stidman as a lover.
(b) Killed him.
(c) Killed herself.
(d) Taken Crevel as a lover.
13. Early in their relationship, who refuses to accompany the Baron to Valerie's house despite her entreaties?
(a) Monsieur Coquet.
(b) Wenceslas Steinbock.
(c) Monsieur Stidman.
(d) Madame Crevel.
14. Which biblical figures does Valerie ask Wenceslas to sculpt for her?
(a) Moses and Aaron.
(b) David and Goliath.
(c) Samson and Delilah.
(d) Cain and Abel.
15. When the quartermaster arrives to speak privately with Hector, what does he expect the man has brought for him?
(a) Money from Algeria.
(b) A new uniform.
(c) News from the Prince of Wissembourg.
(d) A letter from Johann Fischer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stidman tell Wenceslas to get him to leave his second meeting with Valerie and return home?
2. When Hector Hulot returns home from Valerie's house after hearing of the problem between Wenceslas and Hortense, what does he discover Adeline doing?
3. After Wenceslas and Hortense quarrel about Valerie Marneffe, where does Lisbeth go to live?
4. Whose post in the War Ministry does Baron Hulot attempt to obtain for Marneffe?
5. At what time does Wenceslas arrive home after dining with Valerie Marneffe?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)