|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
(a) He asks Valerie Marneffe for a loan.
(b) He mortgages his house.
(c) He sells his furniture.
(d) He hands over his retirement funds.
2. How does Hortense react upon learning that Wenceslas has lied to her about his whereabouts?
(a) She becomes sad, shouts and begins to cry.
(b) She faints and has nervous convulsions.
(c) She laughs it off.
(d) She starts breaking things in the room and has to be restrained.
3. What does Hortense decide to do after she receives proof of Wenceslas' infidelity?
(a) Kill herself.
(b) Take Stidman as a lover.
(c) Pack her things and move in with her mother.
(d) Kill Wenceslas.
4. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive?
(a) A photograph.
(b) The testimony of a witness.
(c) A letter from Valerie.
(d) A confession.
5. Where is Monsieur le Baron Henri Montes de Montejanos from?
6. After Hector receives bad news from Johann Fischer, what bad news does he receive from Valerie in a letter?
(a) She has suffered a miscarriage.
(b) Her husband has passed away.
(c) Her husband has forbidden her from receiving him in her home.
(d) Crevel has discovered the truth about their relationship and is furious.
7. Where does Wenceslas tell Hortense he plans to go early the next morning following his dinner with Valerie?
(b) The War Ministry.
(c) His studio.
(d) The bank.
8. What does Monsieur Marneffe do when Hector tries to enter his house after receiving Valerie's letter?
(a) He threatens Hector with a pistol.
(b) He calls the police.
(c) He threatens Valerie with a pistol.
(d) He beats Hector up.
9. Where does Bette convince Wenceslas to go despite Hortense forbidding him from doing so?
(a) Celestin Crevel's house.
(b) Valerie Marneffe's house.
(c) Stidman's house.
(d) His studio.
10. How many beauty spots does Valerie Marneffe arrange on her person for her first meeting with Wenceslas?
11. How do Crevel and Hulot feel about Montejanos' arrival?
12. What does Stidman tell Wenceslas to get him to leave his second meeting with Valerie and return home?
(a) His wife is dying.
(b) His son is dying.
(c) His son is ill.
(d) His wife is in trouble.
13. Early in their relationship, who refuses to accompany the Baron to Valerie's house despite her entreaties?
(a) Monsieur Coquet.
(b) Madame Crevel.
(c) Wenceslas Steinbock.
(d) Monsieur Stidman.
14. What does Hortense tell Wenceslas she would have done in retribution if she had discovered that he was having an affair after their first quarrel?
(a) Taken Stidman as a lover.
(b) Killed him.
(c) Killed herself.
(d) Taken Crevel as a lover.
15. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
(a) A society woman.
(b) A talented woman.
(c) A beautiful woman.
(d) A decent woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Adeline attempt to console Hortense after her first quarrel with Wenceslas?
2. Where does Valerie arrange to meet Montejanos clandestinely after her guests have retired?
3. How does Valerie explain her relationship to Montejanos?
4. Whom does Lisbeth dream of marrying?
5. What bad news does Johann Fischer communicate to Hector Hulot in a letter?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)