|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
(a) A decent woman.
(b) A talented woman.
(c) A beautiful woman.
(d) A society woman.
2. After Hector receives bad news from Johann Fischer, what bad news does he receive from Valerie in a letter?
(a) Crevel has discovered the truth about their relationship and is furious.
(b) She has suffered a miscarriage.
(c) Her husband has forbidden her from receiving him in her home.
(d) Her husband has passed away.
3. How many beauty spots does Valerie Marneffe arrange on her person for her first meeting with Wenceslas?
4. What is Vauvinet's profession?
(b) Government Official.
5. Where does Wenceslas tell Hortense he plans to go early the next morning following his dinner with Valerie?
(a) His studio.
(b) The War Ministry.
(d) The bank.
6. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
(a) Money that she borrowed from her mother.
(b) A pregnancy.
(c) A lover.
(d) News articles criticizing his work.
7. How does Hortense react upon learning that Wenceslas has lied to her about his whereabouts?
(a) She starts breaking things in the room and has to be restrained.
(b) She laughs it off.
(c) She faints and has nervous convulsions.
(d) She becomes sad, shouts and begins to cry.
8. How does Adeline attempt to console Hortense after her first quarrel with Wenceslas?
(a) She tells her that all men are animals.
(b) She assures her that Valerie Marneffe is a decent woman.
(c) She confesses Hector's infidelities.
(d) She reminds her that Wenceslas has never lied to her before.
9. Who is the third man to whom Valerie Marneffe tells he is going to be the father of her child?
10. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
(a) He mortgages his house.
(b) He asks Valerie Marneffe for a loan.
(c) He sells his furniture.
(d) He hands over his retirement funds.
11. Why does Valerie want Baron Hulot to bring Wenceslas to dine with them?
(a) She wants to humiliate him.
(b) She admires his talent.
(c) She is awed by his fame.
(d) She wants to seduce him.
12. What is happening when the arrival of the Baron Montes de Montejanos is announced?
(a) Valerie and Crevel are having an argument in her room.
(b) Valerie and Lisbeth are scheming to have the Marshal propose marriage to Bette.
(c) Guests are playing games in Valerie Marneffe's drawing-room.
(d) Valerie and Baron Hulot are sitting down to dinner.
13. Which biblical figures does Valerie ask Wenceslas to sculpt for her?
(a) Cain and Abel.
(b) David and Goliath.
(c) Samson and Delilah.
(d) Moses and Aaron.
14. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive?
(a) A photograph.
(b) A letter from Valerie.
(c) A confession.
(d) The testimony of a witness.
15. What does Stidman tell Wenceslas to get him to leave his second meeting with Valerie and return home?
(a) His son is dying.
(b) His wife is in trouble.
(c) His wife is dying.
(d) His son is ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Crevel give to Valerie in exchange for her promise of being his exclusively?
2. What does Baron Hulot agree to provide for Valerie Marneffe's second child?
3. What does Hortense tell Wenceslas she would have done in retribution if she had discovered that he was having an affair after their first quarrel?
4. What significant change to his appearance does Valerie induce Baron Hulot to make?
5. At what time does Wenceslas arrive home after dining with Valerie Marneffe?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)