|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
(a) A talented woman.
(b) A beautiful woman.
(c) A decent woman.
(d) A society woman.
2. Early in their relationship, who refuses to accompany the Baron to Valerie's house despite her entreaties?
(a) Madame Crevel.
(b) Monsieur Coquet.
(c) Monsieur Stidman.
(d) Wenceslas Steinbock.
3. When Hector Hulot returns home from Valerie's house after hearing of the problem between Wenceslas and Hortense, what does he discover Adeline doing?
4. What does Monsieur Crevel give Valerie in exchange for her company?
(a) A pearl necklace.
(b) Six thousand francs per year.
(c) Three thousand francs per year.
(d) A new carriage.
5. What piece of evidence does Crevel provide the Baron with to prove his clandestine meetings with Valerie in his little house on the Rue du Dauphin?
(a) A letter.
(b) A hat.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A scarf.
6. What does Wenceslas produce in the early part of his marriage in addition to and contrasting with the statue he has been hired to design by the Prince of Wissembourg?
(a) A book of poetry.
(b) Fine jewelry.
(c) A child.
(d) An opera.
7. Who is the third man to whom Valerie Marneffe tells he is going to be the father of her child?
8. What does Baron Hulot agree to provide for Valerie Marneffe's second child?
(a) A place to live.
(b) The Hulot family name.
(c) A job in government service when he reaches adulthood.
(d) Twelve hundred francs per year.
9. Whose post in the War Ministry does Baron Hulot attempt to obtain for Marneffe?
(a) The Prince of Wissembourg's.
(b) The Duc d'Herounville's.
(c) Marshal Hulot's.
(d) Monsieur Coquet's.
10. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
(a) News articles criticizing his work.
(b) A pregnancy.
(c) A lover.
(d) Money that she borrowed from her mother.
11. What bad news does Johann Fischer communicate to Hector Hulot in a letter?
(a) Johann Fischer has been left by his wife.
(b) Johann Fischer is terminally ill and does not have long to live.
(c) The War Ministry has exhausted all of its funds in Algeria.
(d) A Public Prosecutor is investigating Hector and Johann's dealings in Algeria.
12. How long after moving to the Rue Vaneau does Valerie wait before receiving Monsieur Crevel?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Three years.
(c) Three days.
(d) Three months.
13. What book does Adeline read constantly after being banished to her apartment on the Rue Plumet?
(a) The Holy Bible.
(b) The Sorrows of Young Werther.
(c) Pride and Prejudice.
(d) Imitation of Christ.
14. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
15. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
(a) He asks Valerie Marneffe for a loan.
(b) He hands over his retirement funds.
(c) He sells his furniture.
(d) He mortgages his house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stidman tell Wenceslas to get him to leave his second meeting with Valerie and return home?
2. To whom does Adeline give the little money she has received from the Baron, thereby depriving herself even of food?
3. How does Lisbeth control Valerie's potential household expenses?
4. How do Crevel and Hulot feel about Montejanos' arrival?
5. With whom does Wenceslas claim to be dining while he is at Valerie Marneffe's house?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)