|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the silver group ordered by Valerie?
(a) Three thousand sous.
(b) Fifteen hundred pounds.
(c) A thousand crowns.
(d) Ten thousand francs.
2. Lisbeth offers to arrange a loan on good terms for Hortense and Wenceslas from whom?
(a) Celestin Crevel.
(b) Valerie Marneffe.
(c) Marshal Hulot.
(d) The Duc d´Hérouville.
3. To whom does Adeline give the little money she has received from the Baron, thereby depriving herself even of food?
4. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
(a) A talented woman.
(b) A beautiful woman.
(c) A decent woman.
(d) A society woman.
5. What complaint does Lisbeth have when the Baron goes to her flat looking for Valerie?
(a) A migraine.
(c) A toothache.
6. After Hector receives bad news from Johann Fischer, what bad news does he receive from Valerie in a letter?
(a) Her husband has forbidden her from receiving him in her home.
(b) Her husband has passed away.
(c) Crevel has discovered the truth about their relationship and is furious.
(d) She has suffered a miscarriage.
7. When Crevel goes to Valerie's flat the morning after his revelation to Hulot, whom does he find at the breakfast table with her?
(a) Montejanos and Steinbock.
(b) Lisbeth and Hulot.
(c) Hulot and Steinbock.
(d) Montejanos and Lisbeth.
8. How does Valerie explain her relationship to Montejanos?
(a) She pretends she has never met him.
(b) She claims they are cousins.
(c) She explains that they had been lovers.
(d) She claims he is Monsieur Marneffe's nephew.
9. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
(a) A lover.
(b) Money that she borrowed from her mother.
(c) News articles criticizing his work.
(d) A pregnancy.
10. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
11. Whom does Lisbeth dream of marrying?
(a) Monsieur Stidman.
(b) Johann Fischer.
(c) Monsieur Crevel.
(d) Marshall Hulot.
12. What does Wenceslas produce in the early part of his marriage in addition to and contrasting with the statue he has been hired to design by the Prince of Wissembourg?
(a) An opera.
(b) A book of poetry.
(c) A child.
(d) Fine jewelry.
13. What does Stidman tell Wenceslas to get him to leave his second meeting with Valerie and return home?
(a) His son is ill.
(b) His wife is dying.
(c) His son is dying.
(d) His wife is in trouble.
14. Where is Monsieur le Baron Henri Montes de Montejanos from?
15. Why does Valerie want Baron Hulot to bring Wenceslas to dine with them?
(a) She wants to seduce him.
(b) She admires his talent.
(c) She wants to humiliate him.
(d) She is awed by his fame.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose post in the War Ministry does Baron Hulot attempt to obtain for Marneffe?
2. Who intercepts the letter that Valerie writes to Wenceslas?
3. How long after moving to the Rue Vaneau does Valerie wait before receiving Monsieur Crevel?
4. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive?
5. Where does Valerie arrange to meet Montejanos clandestinely after her guests have retired?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)