|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Monsieur le Baron Henri Montes de Montejanos from?
2. What does Wenceslas produce in the early part of his marriage in addition to and contrasting with the statue he has been hired to design by the Prince of Wissembourg?
(a) A book of poetry.
(b) Fine jewelry.
(c) A child.
(d) An opera.
3. After Wenceslas and Hortense quarrel about Valerie Marneffe, where does Lisbeth go to live?
(a) In the Rue Vaneau.
(b) With Adeline.
(c) With Victorin.
(d) With Marshal Hulot.
4. How do Crevel and Hulot feel about Montejanos' arrival?
5. What does Hortense decide to do after she receives proof of Wenceslas' infidelity?
(a) Kill herself.
(b) Take Stidman as a lover.
(c) Pack her things and move in with her mother.
(d) Kill Wenceslas.
6. What solution does Bette offer first when Hortense explains her financial predicament?
(a) She counsels Hortense to ask Adeline for money.
(b) She advises Hortense to sell her diamonds.
(c) She tells Hortense to pawn all of her valuables.
(d) She suggests they help her arrange a marriage to Marshal Hulot.
7. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
(a) A decent woman.
(b) A society woman.
(c) A beautiful woman.
(d) A talented woman.
8. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
(a) He asks Valerie Marneffe for a loan.
(b) He hands over his retirement funds.
(c) He sells his furniture.
(d) He mortgages his house.
9. Early in their relationship, who refuses to accompany the Baron to Valerie's house despite her entreaties?
(a) Monsieur Stidman.
(b) Wenceslas Steinbock.
(c) Monsieur Coquet.
(d) Madame Crevel.
10. How does Valerie explain her relationship to Montejanos?
(a) She explains that they had been lovers.
(b) She pretends she has never met him.
(c) She claims they are cousins.
(d) She claims he is Monsieur Marneffe's nephew.
11. What does Baron Hulot agree to provide for Valerie Marneffe's second child?
(a) The Hulot family name.
(b) A place to live.
(c) Twelve hundred francs per year.
(d) A job in government service when he reaches adulthood.
12. Besides leading Wenceslas astray, for what other family disgrace is Baron Hulot responsible?
(a) Lisbeth's personal difficulties.
(b) Victorin's professional difficulties.
(c) Victorin's professional difficulties.
(d) Victorin's financial difficulties.
13. Who inadvertently informs Hortense that Wenceslas had lied to her about his whereabouts the evening that he dined with Valerie Marneffe?
(b) Baron Hulot.
14. Where does Bette convince Wenceslas to go despite Hortense forbidding him from doing so?
(a) Celestin Crevel's house.
(b) Stidman's house.
(c) Valerie Marneffe's house.
(d) His studio.
15. What is Vauvinet's profession?
(a) Government Official.
Short Answer Questions
1. At whose suggestion does Lisbeth change her appearance?
2. What does Hortense tell Wenceslas she would have done in retribution if she had discovered that he was having an affair after their first quarrel?
3. Whom does Lisbeth dream of marrying?
4. What piece of evidence does Crevel provide the Baron with to prove his clandestine meetings with Valerie in his little house on the Rue du Dauphin?
5. Where does Valerie mention having seen Wenceslas in person before their first formal meeting in her house?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)