|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
(a) He mortgages his house.
(b) He asks Valerie Marneffe for a loan.
(c) He hands over his retirement funds.
(d) He sells his furniture.
2. What piece of art created by Wenceslas is generating extreme criticism from his fellow artists, including Stidman?
(a) A statue of Marshal Hulot.
(b) A sculpture of Samson and Delilah.
(c) A silver group depicting deer.
(d) A statue of Marshal Montcornet.
3. At whose suggestion does Lisbeth change her appearance?
(a) Hortense Hulot.
(b) Adeline Hulot.
(c) Valerie Marneffe.
(d) Celestine Crevel.
4. What does Wenceslas produce in the early part of his marriage in addition to and contrasting with the statue he has been hired to design by the Prince of Wissembourg?
(a) An opera.
(b) A book of poetry.
(c) Fine jewelry.
(d) A child.
5. What does Hortense decide to do after she receives proof of Wenceslas' infidelity?
(a) Kill herself.
(b) Kill Wenceslas.
(c) Pack her things and move in with her mother.
(d) Take Stidman as a lover.
6. What bad news does Johann Fischer communicate to Hector Hulot in a letter?
(a) Johann Fischer has been left by his wife.
(b) Johann Fischer is terminally ill and does not have long to live.
(c) The War Ministry has exhausted all of its funds in Algeria.
(d) A Public Prosecutor is investigating Hector and Johann's dealings in Algeria.
7. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
(a) Money that she borrowed from her mother.
(b) A lover.
(c) News articles criticizing his work.
(d) A pregnancy.
8. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
(a) A talented woman.
(b) A decent woman.
(c) A society woman.
(d) A beautiful woman.
9. Why does Stidman try to stay away from Wenceslas' house?
(a) He does not like Bette.
(b) He does not like Hortense.
(c) He is attracted to Hortense.
(d) He is angry with Wenceslas.
10. What news does Valerie reveal to Wenceslas in the first letter she writes to him?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is canceling her order.
(c) She is moving into a new house.
(d) She is hosting a party.
11. What complaint does Lisbeth have when the Baron goes to her flat looking for Valerie?
(b) A migraine.
(d) A toothache.
12. Which biblical figures does Valerie ask Wenceslas to sculpt for her?
(a) Cain and Abel.
(b) Moses and Aaron.
(c) Samson and Delilah.
(d) David and Goliath.
13. What does Monsieur Marneffe do when Hector tries to enter his house after receiving Valerie's letter?
(a) He calls the police.
(b) He threatens Hector with a pistol.
(c) He threatens Valerie with a pistol.
(d) He beats Hector up.
14. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive?
(a) A letter from Valerie.
(b) A photograph.
(c) The testimony of a witness.
(d) A confession.
15. How does Hortense react upon learning that Wenceslas has lied to her about his whereabouts?
(a) She faints and has nervous convulsions.
(b) She becomes sad, shouts and begins to cry.
(c) She laughs it off.
(d) She starts breaking things in the room and has to be restrained.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who intercepts the letter that Valerie writes to Wenceslas?
2. Where is Monsieur le Baron Henri Montes de Montejanos from?
3. Whose post in the War Ministry does Baron Hulot attempt to obtain for Marneffe?
4. How many beauty spots does Valerie Marneffe arrange on her person for her first meeting with Wenceslas?
5. On what condition does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the biblically-themed figure that Wenceslas is sculpting for Valerie Marneffe?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)