|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive?
(a) A photograph.
(b) A letter from Valerie.
(c) The testimony of a witness.
(d) A confession.
2. After Hector receives bad news from Johann Fischer, what bad news does he receive from Valerie in a letter?
(a) Her husband has forbidden her from receiving him in her home.
(b) She has suffered a miscarriage.
(c) Her husband has passed away.
(d) Crevel has discovered the truth about their relationship and is furious.
3. What piece of art created by Wenceslas is generating extreme criticism from his fellow artists, including Stidman?
(a) A sculpture of Samson and Delilah.
(b) A silver group depicting deer.
(c) A statue of Marshal Hulot.
(d) A statue of Marshal Montcornet.
4. Who is the third man to whom Valerie Marneffe tells he is going to be the father of her child?
5. Who gives money to Adeline's cook so that she may provide a meal for the family?
(a) Marshal Hulot.
(b) Monsieur Crevel.
(c) Victorin Hulot.
(d) Baron Hulot.
6. To whom does Adeline give the little money she has received from the Baron, thereby depriving herself even of food?
7. Where does Wenceslas tell Hortense he plans to go early the next morning following his dinner with Valerie?
(a) The War Ministry.
(c) His studio.
(d) The bank.
8. Why does Valerie want Baron Hulot to bring Wenceslas to dine with them?
(a) She is awed by his fame.
(b) She wants to seduce him.
(c) She admires his talent.
(d) She wants to humiliate him.
9. What significant change to his appearance does Valerie induce Baron Hulot to make?
(a) He stops wearing his military uniform.
(b) He stops dying his hair.
(c) He shaves off his beard.
(d) He loses weight.
10. Besides leading Wenceslas astray, for what other family disgrace is Baron Hulot responsible?
(a) Victorin's financial difficulties.
(b) Lisbeth's personal difficulties.
(c) Victorin's professional difficulties.
(d) Victorin's professional difficulties.
11. When the quartermaster arrives to speak privately with Hector, what does he expect the man has brought for him?
(a) A new uniform.
(b) Money from Algeria.
(c) News from the Prince of Wissembourg.
(d) A letter from Johann Fischer.
12. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
(a) He hands over his retirement funds.
(b) He asks Valerie Marneffe for a loan.
(c) He sells his furniture.
(d) He mortgages his house.
13. What is Vauvinet's profession?
(c) Government Official.
14. Who inadvertently informs Hortense that Wenceslas had lied to her about his whereabouts the evening that he dined with Valerie Marneffe?
(b) Baron Hulot.
15. Where does Valerie mention having seen Wenceslas in person before their first formal meeting in her house?
(a) His studio.
(c) His wedding.
(d) Lisbeth's flat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who intercepts the letter that Valerie writes to Wenceslas?
2. How many beauty spots does Valerie Marneffe arrange on her person for her first meeting with Wenceslas?
3. Where is Monsieur le Baron Henri Montes de Montejanos from?
4. What does Monsieur Marneffe do when Hector tries to enter his house after receiving Valerie's letter?
5. How does Adeline attempt to console Hortense after her first quarrel with Wenceslas?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)