|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Crevel give to Valerie in exchange for her promise of being his exclusively?
(a) A dressing gown.
(b) A house.
(c) A statue.
(d) A necklace.
2. What significant change to his appearance does Valerie induce Baron Hulot to make?
(a) He shaves off his beard.
(b) He stops wearing his military uniform.
(c) He loses weight.
(d) He stops dying his hair.
3. What circumstances led to Stidman's introduction to Valerie in the Rue Vaneau?
(a) His need for a job.
(b) The end of his friendship with Wenceslas.
(c) His need for a loan.
(d) The end of his relationship with Madame Schontz.
4. Who intercepts the letter that Valerie writes to Wenceslas?
5. Who gives money to Adeline's cook so that she may provide a meal for the family?
(a) Victorin Hulot.
(b) Baron Hulot.
(c) Marshal Hulot.
(d) Monsieur Crevel.
6. Where does Valerie mention having seen Wenceslas in person before their first formal meeting in her house?
(b) His studio.
(c) Lisbeth's flat.
(d) His wedding.
7. On what condition does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the biblically-themed figure that Wenceslas is sculpting for Valerie Marneffe?
(a) That Valerie serve as model.
(b) That it be the only copy in existence.
(c) That it be completed before Christmas.
(d) That it be signed by the sculptor.
8. What piece of art created by Wenceslas is generating extreme criticism from his fellow artists, including Stidman?
(a) A silver group depicting deer.
(b) A statue of Marshal Hulot.
(c) A sculpture of Samson and Delilah.
(d) A statue of Marshal Montcornet.
9. When Crevel goes to Valerie's flat the morning after his revelation to Hulot, whom does he find at the breakfast table with her?
(a) Hulot and Steinbock.
(b) Montejanos and Lisbeth.
(c) Montejanos and Steinbock.
(d) Lisbeth and Hulot.
10. Who inadvertently informs Hortense that Wenceslas had lied to her about his whereabouts the evening that he dined with Valerie Marneffe?
(a) Baron Hulot.
11. What bad news does Johann Fischer communicate to Hector Hulot in a letter?
(a) The War Ministry has exhausted all of its funds in Algeria.
(b) A Public Prosecutor is investigating Hector and Johann's dealings in Algeria.
(c) Johann Fischer is terminally ill and does not have long to live.
(d) Johann Fischer has been left by his wife.
12. How does Valerie explain her relationship to Montejanos?
(a) She claims he is Monsieur Marneffe's nephew.
(b) She claims they are cousins.
(c) She pretends she has never met him.
(d) She explains that they had been lovers.
13. How much does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the silver group ordered by Valerie?
(a) A thousand crowns.
(b) Three thousand sous.
(c) Fifteen hundred pounds.
(d) Ten thousand francs.
14. What news does Valerie reveal to Wenceslas in the first letter she writes to him?
(a) She is canceling her order.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is moving into a new house.
(d) She is hosting a party.
15. Which biblical figures does Valerie ask Wenceslas to sculpt for her?
(a) Samson and Delilah.
(b) Moses and Aaron.
(c) Cain and Abel.
(d) David and Goliath.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bette convince Wenceslas to go despite Hortense forbidding him from doing so?
2. Why does Valerie want Baron Hulot to bring Wenceslas to dine with them?
3. What does Monsieur Crevel give Valerie in exchange for her company?
4. When the quartermaster arrives to speak privately with Hector, what does he expect the man has brought for him?
5. With whom does Wenceslas claim to be dining while he is at Valerie Marneffe's house?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)