|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lisbeth control Valerie's potential household expenses?
(a) She does the cooking and washing herself.
(b) She finds her a cook from Vosges and accompanies her to the market.
(c) She contributes the profits from her embroidery work to the household budget.
(d) She encourages Valerie to dine out instead of hosting dinners at home.
2. What bad news does Johann Fischer communicate to Hector Hulot in a letter?
(a) Johann Fischer has been left by his wife.
(b) The War Ministry has exhausted all of its funds in Algeria.
(c) A Public Prosecutor is investigating Hector and Johann's dealings in Algeria.
(d) Johann Fischer is terminally ill and does not have long to live.
3. After Wenceslas and Hortense quarrel about Valerie Marneffe, where does Lisbeth go to live?
(a) In the Rue Vaneau.
(b) With Victorin.
(c) With Marshal Hulot.
(d) With Adeline.
4. At whose suggestion does Lisbeth change her appearance?
(a) Valerie Marneffe.
(b) Celestine Crevel.
(c) Hortense Hulot.
(d) Adeline Hulot.
5. What does Hortense tell Wenceslas she would have done in retribution if she had discovered that he was having an affair after their first quarrel?
(a) Taken Crevel as a lover.
(b) Killed him.
(c) Killed herself.
(d) Taken Stidman as a lover.
6. What significant change to his appearance does Valerie induce Baron Hulot to make?
(a) He stops wearing his military uniform.
(b) He shaves off his beard.
(c) He stops dying his hair.
(d) He loses weight.
7. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
(a) A pregnancy.
(b) News articles criticizing his work.
(c) Money that she borrowed from her mother.
(d) A lover.
8. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
9. Where does Valerie mention having seen Wenceslas in person before their first formal meeting in her house?
(a) Lisbeth's flat.
(b) His wedding.
(c) His studio.
10. Whose post in the War Ministry does Baron Hulot attempt to obtain for Marneffe?
(a) Marshal Hulot's.
(b) The Duc d'Herounville's.
(c) Monsieur Coquet's.
(d) The Prince of Wissembourg's.
11. When Hector Hulot returns home from Valerie's house after hearing of the problem between Wenceslas and Hortense, what does he discover Adeline doing?
12. Where does Valerie arrange to meet Montejanos clandestinely after her guests have retired?
(a) Montejanos' carriage.
(b) Valerie's chambers.
(c) Bette's flat.
(d) Montejanos' hotel.
13. How many beauty spots does Valerie Marneffe arrange on her person for her first meeting with Wenceslas?
14. Where does Wenceslas tell Hortense he plans to go early the next morning following his dinner with Valerie?
(a) The bank.
(b) The War Ministry.
(d) His studio.
15. What complaint does Lisbeth have when the Baron goes to her flat looking for Valerie?
(c) A toothache.
(d) A migraine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Early in their relationship, who refuses to accompany the Baron to Valerie's house despite her entreaties?
2. On what condition does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the biblically-themed figure that Wenceslas is sculpting for Valerie Marneffe?
3. What circumstances led to Stidman's introduction to Valerie in the Rue Vaneau?
4. What does Crevel give to Valerie in exchange for her promise of being his exclusively?
5. With whom does Wenceslas claim to be dining while he is at Valerie Marneffe's house?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)