|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lisbeth offers to arrange a loan on good terms for Hortense and Wenceslas from whom?
(a) The Duc d´Hérouville.
(b) Celestin Crevel.
(c) Valerie Marneffe.
(d) Marshal Hulot.
2. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
(a) News articles criticizing his work.
(b) A pregnancy.
(c) Money that she borrowed from her mother.
(d) A lover.
3. What does Crevel give to Valerie in exchange for her promise of being his exclusively?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A dressing gown.
(c) A statue.
(d) A house.
4. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive?
(a) The testimony of a witness.
(b) A letter from Valerie.
(c) A photograph.
(d) A confession.
5. How does Adeline attempt to console Hortense after her first quarrel with Wenceslas?
(a) She confesses Hector's infidelities.
(b) She reminds her that Wenceslas has never lied to her before.
(c) She assures her that Valerie Marneffe is a decent woman.
(d) She tells her that all men are animals.
6. How do Crevel and Hulot feel about Montejanos' arrival?
7. How long after moving to the Rue Vaneau does Valerie wait before receiving Monsieur Crevel?
(a) Three months.
(b) Three days.
(c) Three years.
(d) Three weeks.
8. What significant change to his appearance does Valerie induce Baron Hulot to make?
(a) He loses weight.
(b) He stops dying his hair.
(c) He shaves off his beard.
(d) He stops wearing his military uniform.
9. How much does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the silver group ordered by Valerie?
(a) Fifteen hundred pounds.
(b) A thousand crowns.
(c) Three thousand sous.
(d) Ten thousand francs.
10. Why does Valerie want Baron Hulot to bring Wenceslas to dine with them?
(a) She wants to humiliate him.
(b) She wants to seduce him.
(c) She is awed by his fame.
(d) She admires his talent.
11. What solution does Bette offer first when Hortense explains her financial predicament?
(a) She advises Hortense to sell her diamonds.
(b) She counsels Hortense to ask Adeline for money.
(c) She tells Hortense to pawn all of her valuables.
(d) She suggests they help her arrange a marriage to Marshal Hulot.
12. Which biblical figures does Valerie ask Wenceslas to sculpt for her?
(a) Samson and Delilah.
(b) Moses and Aaron.
(c) Cain and Abel.
(d) David and Goliath.
13. Whose post in the War Ministry does Baron Hulot attempt to obtain for Marneffe?
(a) The Prince of Wissembourg's.
(b) The Duc d'Herounville's.
(c) Monsieur Coquet's.
(d) Marshal Hulot's.
14. Whom does Lisbeth dream of marrying?
(a) Johann Fischer.
(b) Monsieur Stidman.
(c) Marshall Hulot.
(d) Monsieur Crevel.
15. At what time does Wenceslas arrive home after dining with Valerie Marneffe?
(b) Three o'clock in the morning.
(c) Eleven o'clock in the evening.
(d) One o'clock in the morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Wenceslas claim to be dining while he is at Valerie Marneffe's house?
2. Where does Valerie arrange to meet Montejanos clandestinely after her guests have retired?
3. Why does Stidman try to stay away from Wenceslas' house?
4. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
5. How does Lisbeth control Valerie's potential household expenses?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)