|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the third man to whom Valerie Marneffe tells he is going to be the father of her child?
2. Why does Valerie want Baron Hulot to bring Wenceslas to dine with them?
(a) She is awed by his fame.
(b) She wants to humiliate him.
(c) She wants to seduce him.
(d) She admires his talent.
3. Who intercepts the letter that Valerie writes to Wenceslas?
4. How does Lisbeth control Valerie's potential household expenses?
(a) She contributes the profits from her embroidery work to the household budget.
(b) She encourages Valerie to dine out instead of hosting dinners at home.
(c) She finds her a cook from Vosges and accompanies her to the market.
(d) She does the cooking and washing herself.
5. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
6. Lisbeth offers to arrange a loan on good terms for Hortense and Wenceslas from whom?
(a) Celestin Crevel.
(b) Valerie Marneffe.
(c) The Duc d´Hérouville.
(d) Marshal Hulot.
7. What book does Adeline read constantly after being banished to her apartment on the Rue Plumet?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) The Holy Bible.
(c) Imitation of Christ.
(d) The Sorrows of Young Werther.
8. How does Valerie explain her relationship to Montejanos?
(a) She claims he is Monsieur Marneffe's nephew.
(b) She explains that they had been lovers.
(c) She claims they are cousins.
(d) She pretends she has never met him.
9. What does Crevel give to Valerie in exchange for her promise of being his exclusively?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A dressing gown.
(c) A house.
(d) A statue.
10. After Hector receives bad news from Johann Fischer, what bad news does he receive from Valerie in a letter?
(a) Crevel has discovered the truth about their relationship and is furious.
(b) Her husband has passed away.
(c) She has suffered a miscarriage.
(d) Her husband has forbidden her from receiving him in her home.
11. Who inadvertently informs Hortense that Wenceslas had lied to her about his whereabouts the evening that he dined with Valerie Marneffe?
(d) Baron Hulot.
12. How much does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the silver group ordered by Valerie?
(a) A thousand crowns.
(b) Three thousand sous.
(c) Fifteen hundred pounds.
(d) Ten thousand francs.
13. When Wenceslas returns home and is confronted by Hortnese, whom does he claim has lent him ten thousand francs?
(c) León de Lora.
14. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
(a) He hands over his retirement funds.
(b) He sells his furniture.
(c) He asks Valerie Marneffe for a loan.
(d) He mortgages his house.
15. What solution does Bette offer first when Hortense explains her financial predicament?
(a) She suggests they help her arrange a marriage to Marshal Hulot.
(b) She counsels Hortense to ask Adeline for money.
(c) She tells Hortense to pawn all of her valuables.
(d) She advises Hortense to sell her diamonds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of art created by Wenceslas is generating extreme criticism from his fellow artists, including Stidman?
2. What does Hortense tell Wenceslas she would have done in retribution if she had discovered that he was having an affair after their first quarrel?
3. With whom does Wenceslas claim to be dining while he is at Valerie Marneffe's house?
4. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive?
5. Why does Stidman try to stay away from Wenceslas' house?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)