|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose post in the War Ministry does Baron Hulot attempt to obtain for Marneffe?
(a) The Duc d'Herounville's.
(b) The Prince of Wissembourg's.
(c) Marshal Hulot's.
(d) Monsieur Coquet's.
2. Whom does Lisbeth dream of marrying?
(a) Johann Fischer.
(b) Monsieur Stidman.
(c) Monsieur Crevel.
(d) Marshall Hulot.
3. Where is Monsieur le Baron Henri Montes de Montejanos from?
4. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
(a) He asks Valerie Marneffe for a loan.
(b) He hands over his retirement funds.
(c) He mortgages his house.
(d) He sells his furniture.
5. What circumstances led to Stidman's introduction to Valerie in the Rue Vaneau?
(a) The end of his relationship with Madame Schontz.
(b) The end of his friendship with Wenceslas.
(c) His need for a job.
(d) His need for a loan.
6. With whom does Wenceslas claim to be dining while he is at Valerie Marneffe's house?
(a) Stidman and Wissembourg.
(b) Chanor and Florent.
(c) Hulot and Crevel.
(d) Vignon and Vauvinet.
7. How does Hortense react upon learning that Wenceslas has lied to her about his whereabouts?
(a) She starts breaking things in the room and has to be restrained.
(b) She laughs it off.
(c) She faints and has nervous convulsions.
(d) She becomes sad, shouts and begins to cry.
8. Which biblical figures does Valerie ask Wenceslas to sculpt for her?
(a) David and Goliath.
(b) Moses and Aaron.
(c) Samson and Delilah.
(d) Cain and Abel.
9. After Hector receives bad news from Johann Fischer, what bad news does he receive from Valerie in a letter?
(a) She has suffered a miscarriage.
(b) Her husband has passed away.
(c) Crevel has discovered the truth about their relationship and is furious.
(d) Her husband has forbidden her from receiving him in her home.
10. Early in their relationship, who refuses to accompany the Baron to Valerie's house despite her entreaties?
(a) Monsieur Stidman.
(b) Wenceslas Steinbock.
(c) Monsieur Coquet.
(d) Madame Crevel.
11. Where does Valerie mention having seen Wenceslas in person before their first formal meeting in her house?
(a) His wedding.
(b) His studio.
(c) Lisbeth's flat.
12. What significant change to his appearance does Valerie induce Baron Hulot to make?
(a) He stops wearing his military uniform.
(b) He stops dying his hair.
(c) He loses weight.
(d) He shaves off his beard.
13. How much does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the silver group ordered by Valerie?
(a) Three thousand sous.
(b) Ten thousand francs.
(c) A thousand crowns.
(d) Fifteen hundred pounds.
14. What bad news does Johann Fischer communicate to Hector Hulot in a letter?
(a) Johann Fischer is terminally ill and does not have long to live.
(b) The War Ministry has exhausted all of its funds in Algeria.
(c) Johann Fischer has been left by his wife.
(d) A Public Prosecutor is investigating Hector and Johann's dealings in Algeria.
15. What is Vauvinet's profession?
(c) Government Official.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who inadvertently informs Hortense that Wenceslas had lied to her about his whereabouts the evening that he dined with Valerie Marneffe?
2. Why does Stidman try to stay away from Wenceslas' house?
3. When Wenceslas returns home and is confronted by Hortnese, whom does he claim has lent him ten thousand francs?
4. What complaint does Lisbeth have when the Baron goes to her flat looking for Valerie?
5. Where does Valerie arrange to meet Montejanos clandestinely after her guests have retired?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)