|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wenceslas produce in the early part of his marriage in addition to and contrasting with the statue he has been hired to design by the Prince of Wissembourg?
(a) An opera.
(b) A child.
(c) A book of poetry.
(d) Fine jewelry.
2. How many beauty spots does Valerie Marneffe arrange on her person for her first meeting with Wenceslas?
3. What does Monsieur Marneffe do when Hector tries to enter his house after receiving Valerie's letter?
(a) He threatens Valerie with a pistol.
(b) He threatens Hector with a pistol.
(c) He beats Hector up.
(d) He calls the police.
4. Early in their relationship, who refuses to accompany the Baron to Valerie's house despite her entreaties?
(a) Wenceslas Steinbock.
(b) Madame Crevel.
(c) Monsieur Coquet.
(d) Monsieur Stidman.
5. Whom does Lisbeth dream of marrying?
(a) Marshall Hulot.
(b) Johann Fischer.
(c) Monsieur Crevel.
(d) Monsieur Stidman.
6. To whom does Adeline give the little money she has received from the Baron, thereby depriving herself even of food?
7. Where is Monsieur le Baron Henri Montes de Montejanos from?
8. What significant change to his appearance does Valerie induce Baron Hulot to make?
(a) He stops wearing his military uniform.
(b) He loses weight.
(c) He shaves off his beard.
(d) He stops dying his hair.
9. What does Hortense tell Wenceslas she would have done in retribution if she had discovered that he was having an affair after their first quarrel?
(a) Killed him.
(b) Taken Crevel as a lover.
(c) Killed herself.
(d) Taken Stidman as a lover.
10. Who inadvertently informs Hortense that Wenceslas had lied to her about his whereabouts the evening that he dined with Valerie Marneffe?
(a) Baron Hulot.
11. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
12. How does Adeline attempt to console Hortense after her first quarrel with Wenceslas?
(a) She assures her that Valerie Marneffe is a decent woman.
(b) She reminds her that Wenceslas has never lied to her before.
(c) She confesses Hector's infidelities.
(d) She tells her that all men are animals.
13. Why does Stidman try to stay away from Wenceslas' house?
(a) He does not like Hortense.
(b) He does not like Bette.
(c) He is attracted to Hortense.
(d) He is angry with Wenceslas.
14. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
(a) News articles criticizing his work.
(b) A pregnancy.
(c) Money that she borrowed from her mother.
(d) A lover.
15. What does Crevel give to Valerie in exchange for her promise of being his exclusively?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A statue.
(c) A house.
(d) A dressing gown.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of evidence does Crevel provide the Baron with to prove his clandestine meetings with Valerie in his little house on the Rue du Dauphin?
2. What bad news does Johann Fischer communicate to Hector Hulot in a letter?
3. How do Crevel and Hulot feel about Montejanos' arrival?
4. How does Hortense react upon learning that Wenceslas has lied to her about his whereabouts?
5. What book does Adeline read constantly after being banished to her apartment on the Rue Plumet?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)