|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Wenceslas and Hortense quarrel about Valerie Marneffe, where does Lisbeth go to live?
(a) With Victorin.
(b) With Marshal Hulot.
(c) In the Rue Vaneau.
(d) With Adeline.
2. Who intercepts the letter that Valerie writes to Wenceslas?
3. How do Crevel and Hulot feel about Montejanos' arrival?
4. What does Monsieur Marneffe do when Hector tries to enter his house after receiving Valerie's letter?
(a) He calls the police.
(b) He threatens Hector with a pistol.
(c) He beats Hector up.
(d) He threatens Valerie with a pistol.
5. When Crevel goes to Valerie's flat the morning after his revelation to Hulot, whom does he find at the breakfast table with her?
(a) Hulot and Steinbock.
(b) Montejanos and Lisbeth.
(c) Montejanos and Steinbock.
(d) Lisbeth and Hulot.
6. What proof of Wenceslas' infidelity does Hortense receive?
(a) A letter from Valerie.
(b) A confession.
(c) A photograph.
(d) The testimony of a witness.
7. What does Hortense tell Wenceslas she would have done in retribution if she had discovered that he was having an affair after their first quarrel?
(a) Taken Stidman as a lover.
(b) Taken Crevel as a lover.
(c) Killed him.
(d) Killed herself.
8. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
9. Early in their relationship, who refuses to accompany the Baron to Valerie's house despite her entreaties?
(a) Madame Crevel.
(b) Monsieur Coquet.
(c) Wenceslas Steinbock.
(d) Monsieur Stidman.
10. Where does Valerie mention having seen Wenceslas in person before their first formal meeting in her house?
(a) Lisbeth's flat.
(c) His studio.
(d) His wedding.
11. Where does Valerie arrange to meet Montejanos clandestinely after her guests have retired?
(a) Bette's flat.
(b) Montejanos' carriage.
(c) Montejanos' hotel.
(d) Valerie's chambers.
12. What significant change to his appearance does Valerie induce Baron Hulot to make?
(a) He shaves off his beard.
(b) He stops wearing his military uniform.
(c) He loses weight.
(d) He stops dying his hair.
13. How does Lisbeth control Valerie's potential household expenses?
(a) She does the cooking and washing herself.
(b) She contributes the profits from her embroidery work to the household budget.
(c) She encourages Valerie to dine out instead of hosting dinners at home.
(d) She finds her a cook from Vosges and accompanies her to the market.
14. When the quartermaster arrives to speak privately with Hector, what does he expect the man has brought for him?
(a) A new uniform.
(b) Money from Algeria.
(c) A letter from Johann Fischer.
(d) News from the Prince of Wissembourg.
15. What book does Adeline read constantly after being banished to her apartment on the Rue Plumet?
(a) Imitation of Christ.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) The Holy Bible.
(d) The Sorrows of Young Werther.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening when the arrival of the Baron Montes de Montejanos is announced?
2. When Wenceslas returns home and is confronted by Hortnese, whom does he claim has lent him ten thousand francs?
3. Lisbeth offers to arrange a loan on good terms for Hortense and Wenceslas from whom?
4. What news does Valerie reveal to Wenceslas in the first letter she writes to him?
5. At what time does Wenceslas arrive home after dining with Valerie Marneffe?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)