|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Monsieur Marneffe do when Hector tries to enter his house after receiving Valerie's letter?
(a) He beats Hector up.
(b) He calls the police.
(c) He threatens Valerie with a pistol.
(d) He threatens Hector with a pistol.
2. Lisbeth offers to arrange a loan on good terms for Hortense and Wenceslas from whom?
(a) Celestin Crevel.
(b) Valerie Marneffe.
(c) Marshal Hulot.
(d) The Duc d´Hérouville.
3. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
(a) He hands over his retirement funds.
(b) He mortgages his house.
(c) He asks Valerie Marneffe for a loan.
(d) He sells his furniture.
4. After Wenceslas and Hortense quarrel about Valerie Marneffe, where does Lisbeth go to live?
(a) With Victorin.
(b) In the Rue Vaneau.
(c) With Adeline.
(d) With Marshal Hulot.
5. What solution does Bette offer first when Hortense explains her financial predicament?
(a) She counsels Hortense to ask Adeline for money.
(b) She advises Hortense to sell her diamonds.
(c) She tells Hortense to pawn all of her valuables.
(d) She suggests they help her arrange a marriage to Marshal Hulot.
6. Why does Stidman try to stay away from Wenceslas' house?
(a) He is angry with Wenceslas.
(b) He does not like Hortense.
(c) He is attracted to Hortense.
(d) He does not like Bette.
7. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
(a) A talented woman.
(b) A decent woman.
(c) A beautiful woman.
(d) A society woman.
8. How do Crevel and Hulot feel about Montejanos' arrival?
9. When Hector Hulot returns home from Valerie's house after hearing of the problem between Wenceslas and Hortense, what does he discover Adeline doing?
10. When Wenceslas returns home and is confronted by Hortnese, whom does he claim has lent him ten thousand francs?
(d) León de Lora.
11. What book does Adeline read constantly after being banished to her apartment on the Rue Plumet?
(a) The Sorrows of Young Werther.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) The Holy Bible.
(d) Imitation of Christ.
12. Whom does Lisbeth dream of marrying?
(a) Marshall Hulot.
(b) Monsieur Stidman.
(c) Monsieur Crevel.
(d) Johann Fischer.
13. What is Vauvinet's profession?
(c) Government Official.
14. What does Stidman tell Wenceslas to get him to leave his second meeting with Valerie and return home?
(a) His wife is in trouble.
(b) His son is dying.
(c) His son is ill.
(d) His wife is dying.
15. How does Valerie explain her relationship to Montejanos?
(a) She explains that they had been lovers.
(b) She pretends she has never met him.
(c) She claims he is Monsieur Marneffe's nephew.
(d) She claims they are cousins.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many beauty spots does Valerie Marneffe arrange on her person for her first meeting with Wenceslas?
2. Who inadvertently informs Hortense that Wenceslas had lied to her about his whereabouts the evening that he dined with Valerie Marneffe?
3. What bad news does Johann Fischer communicate to Hector Hulot in a letter?
4. With whom does Wenceslas claim to be dining while he is at Valerie Marneffe's house?
5. Why does Valerie want Baron Hulot to bring Wenceslas to dine with them?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)