|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stidman tell Wenceslas to get him to leave his second meeting with Valerie and return home?
(a) His son is dying.
(b) His wife is dying.
(c) His son is ill.
(d) His wife is in trouble.
2. How much does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the silver group ordered by Valerie?
(a) Fifteen hundred pounds.
(b) Ten thousand francs.
(c) A thousand crowns.
(d) Three thousand sous.
3. After Hector receives bad news from Johann Fischer, what bad news does he receive from Valerie in a letter?
(a) Crevel has discovered the truth about their relationship and is furious.
(b) Her husband has forbidden her from receiving him in her home.
(c) She has suffered a miscarriage.
(d) Her husband has passed away.
4. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
(a) He mortgages his house.
(b) He sells his furniture.
(c) He asks Valerie Marneffe for a loan.
(d) He hands over his retirement funds.
5. With whom does Wenceslas claim to be dining while he is at Valerie Marneffe's house?
(a) Stidman and Wissembourg.
(b) Chanor and Florent.
(c) Vignon and Vauvinet.
(d) Hulot and Crevel.
6. What circumstances led to Stidman's introduction to Valerie in the Rue Vaneau?
(a) The end of his friendship with Wenceslas.
(b) His need for a loan.
(c) His need for a job.
(d) The end of his relationship with Madame Schontz.
7. What book does Adeline read constantly after being banished to her apartment on the Rue Plumet?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) The Holy Bible.
(c) The Sorrows of Young Werther.
(d) Imitation of Christ.
8. At what time does Wenceslas arrive home after dining with Valerie Marneffe?
(a) Three o'clock in the morning.
(b) Eleven o'clock in the evening.
(d) One o'clock in the morning.
9. Where is Monsieur le Baron Henri Montes de Montejanos from?
10. Which biblical figures does Valerie ask Wenceslas to sculpt for her?
(a) David and Goliath.
(b) Samson and Delilah.
(c) Moses and Aaron.
(d) Cain and Abel.
11. What does Baron Hulot agree to provide for Valerie Marneffe's second child?
(a) The Hulot family name.
(b) Twelve hundred francs per year.
(c) A job in government service when he reaches adulthood.
(d) A place to live.
12. What significant change to his appearance does Valerie induce Baron Hulot to make?
(a) He stops dying his hair.
(b) He loses weight.
(c) He stops wearing his military uniform.
(d) He shaves off his beard.
13. When Hector Hulot returns home from Valerie's house after hearing of the problem between Wenceslas and Hortense, what does he discover Adeline doing?
14. How long after moving to the Rue Vaneau does Valerie wait before receiving Monsieur Crevel?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Three years.
(c) Three days.
(d) Three months.
15. Lisbeth offers to arrange a loan on good terms for Hortense and Wenceslas from whom?
(a) Valerie Marneffe.
(b) The Duc d´Hérouville.
(c) Celestin Crevel.
(d) Marshal Hulot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose post in the War Ministry does Baron Hulot attempt to obtain for Marneffe?
2. On what condition does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the biblically-themed figure that Wenceslas is sculpting for Valerie Marneffe?
3. At whose suggestion does Lisbeth change her appearance?
4. What is happening when the arrival of the Baron Montes de Montejanos is announced?
5. How does Hortense react upon learning that Wenceslas has lied to her about his whereabouts?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)