|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time does Wenceslas arrive home after dining with Valerie Marneffe?
(b) Three o'clock in the morning.
(c) One o'clock in the morning.
(d) Eleven o'clock in the evening.
2. On what condition does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the biblically-themed figure that Wenceslas is sculpting for Valerie Marneffe?
(a) That Valerie serve as model.
(b) That it be completed before Christmas.
(c) That it be signed by the sculptor.
(d) That it be the only copy in existence.
3. How many beauty spots does Valerie Marneffe arrange on her person for her first meeting with Wenceslas?
4. To whom does Adeline give the little money she has received from the Baron, thereby depriving herself even of food?
5. Whom does Lisbeth dream of marrying?
(a) Johann Fischer.
(b) Monsieur Stidman.
(c) Marshall Hulot.
(d) Monsieur Crevel.
6. What does Monsieur Marneffe do when Hector tries to enter his house after receiving Valerie's letter?
(a) He threatens Valerie with a pistol.
(b) He threatens Hector with a pistol.
(c) He calls the police.
(d) He beats Hector up.
7. Where is Monsieur le Baron Henri Montes de Montejanos from?
8. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
9. At whose suggestion does Lisbeth change her appearance?
(a) Adeline Hulot.
(b) Valerie Marneffe.
(c) Celestine Crevel.
(d) Hortense Hulot.
10. What is Vauvinet's profession?
(c) Government Official.
11. Where does Bette convince Wenceslas to go despite Hortense forbidding him from doing so?
(a) Celestin Crevel's house.
(b) Stidman's house.
(c) Valerie Marneffe's house.
(d) His studio.
12. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
(a) News articles criticizing his work.
(b) A pregnancy.
(c) Money that she borrowed from her mother.
(d) A lover.
13. What is happening when the arrival of the Baron Montes de Montejanos is announced?
(a) Guests are playing games in Valerie Marneffe's drawing-room.
(b) Valerie and Crevel are having an argument in her room.
(c) Valerie and Lisbeth are scheming to have the Marshal propose marriage to Bette.
(d) Valerie and Baron Hulot are sitting down to dinner.
14. What circumstances led to Stidman's introduction to Valerie in the Rue Vaneau?
(a) The end of his friendship with Wenceslas.
(b) His need for a loan.
(c) The end of his relationship with Madame Schontz.
(d) His need for a job.
15. What piece of evidence does Crevel provide the Baron with to prove his clandestine meetings with Valerie in his little house on the Rue du Dauphin?
(a) A scarf.
(b) A hat.
(c) A letter.
(d) A necklace.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Crevel goes to Valerie's flat the morning after his revelation to Hulot, whom does he find at the breakfast table with her?
2. Why does Stidman try to stay away from Wenceslas' house?
3. Who gives money to Adeline's cook so that she may provide a meal for the family?
4. What does Wenceslas produce in the early part of his marriage in addition to and contrasting with the statue he has been hired to design by the Prince of Wissembourg?
5. How does Lisbeth control Valerie's potential household expenses?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)