|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baron Hulot agree to provide for Valerie Marneffe's second child?
(a) Twelve hundred francs per year.
(b) A job in government service when he reaches adulthood.
(c) A place to live.
(d) The Hulot family name.
2. At what time does Wenceslas arrive home after dining with Valerie Marneffe?
(a) Three o'clock in the morning.
(b) One o'clock in the morning.
(d) Eleven o'clock in the evening.
3. What piece of evidence does Crevel provide the Baron with to prove his clandestine meetings with Valerie in his little house on the Rue du Dauphin?
(a) A letter.
(b) A hat.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A scarf.
4. Where does Valerie mention having seen Wenceslas in person before their first formal meeting in her house?
(b) Lisbeth's flat.
(c) His studio.
(d) His wedding.
5. When Wenceslas returns home and is confronted by Hortnese, whom does he claim has lent him ten thousand francs?
(c) León de Lora.
6. How long after moving to the Rue Vaneau does Valerie wait before receiving Monsieur Crevel?
(a) Three days.
(b) Three years.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three weeks.
7. How do Crevel and Hulot feel about Montejanos' arrival?
8. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
9. Who is the third man to whom Valerie Marneffe tells he is going to be the father of her child?
10. Who inadvertently informs Hortense that Wenceslas had lied to her about his whereabouts the evening that he dined with Valerie Marneffe?
(d) Baron Hulot.
11. Who intercepts the letter that Valerie writes to Wenceslas?
12. What does Monsieur Crevel give Valerie in exchange for her company?
(a) A new carriage.
(b) A pearl necklace.
(c) Three thousand francs per year.
(d) Six thousand francs per year.
13. What bad news does Johann Fischer communicate to Hector Hulot in a letter?
(a) The War Ministry has exhausted all of its funds in Algeria.
(b) Johann Fischer has been left by his wife.
(c) Johann Fischer is terminally ill and does not have long to live.
(d) A Public Prosecutor is investigating Hector and Johann's dealings in Algeria.
14. Where is Monsieur le Baron Henri Montes de Montejanos from?
15. What circumstances led to Stidman's introduction to Valerie in the Rue Vaneau?
(a) The end of his relationship with Madame Schontz.
(b) The end of his friendship with Wenceslas.
(c) His need for a job.
(d) His need for a loan.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Wenceslas claim to be dining while he is at Valerie Marneffe's house?
2. Where does Valerie arrange to meet Montejanos clandestinely after her guests have retired?
3. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
4. How does Lisbeth control Valerie's potential household expenses?
5. What significant change to his appearance does Valerie induce Baron Hulot to make?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)