|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bad news does Johann Fischer communicate to Hector Hulot in a letter?
(a) Johann Fischer has been left by his wife.
(b) A Public Prosecutor is investigating Hector and Johann's dealings in Algeria.
(c) The War Ministry has exhausted all of its funds in Algeria.
(d) Johann Fischer is terminally ill and does not have long to live.
2. Where does Valerie arrange to meet Montejanos clandestinely after her guests have retired?
(a) Bette's flat.
(b) Montejanos' carriage.
(c) Valerie's chambers.
(d) Montejanos' hotel.
3. What complaint does Lisbeth have when the Baron goes to her flat looking for Valerie?
(b) A toothache.
(d) A migraine.
4. Who inadvertently informs Hortense that Wenceslas had lied to her about his whereabouts the evening that he dined with Valerie Marneffe?
(b) Baron Hulot.
5. How does Hortense react upon learning that Wenceslas has lied to her about his whereabouts?
(a) She becomes sad, shouts and begins to cry.
(b) She faints and has nervous convulsions.
(c) She starts breaking things in the room and has to be restrained.
(d) She laughs it off.
6. Where does Wenceslas tell Hortense he plans to go early the next morning following his dinner with Valerie?
(a) The bank.
(b) The War Ministry.
(d) His studio.
7. After Hector receives bad news from Johann Fischer, what bad news does he receive from Valerie in a letter?
(a) Her husband has passed away.
(b) Crevel has discovered the truth about their relationship and is furious.
(c) She has suffered a miscarriage.
(d) Her husband has forbidden her from receiving him in her home.
8. Who gives money to Adeline's cook so that she may provide a meal for the family?
(a) Marshal Hulot.
(b) Monsieur Crevel.
(c) Victorin Hulot.
(d) Baron Hulot.
9. How long after moving to the Rue Vaneau does Valerie wait before receiving Monsieur Crevel?
(a) Three days.
(b) Three months.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Three years.
10. How do Crevel and Hulot feel about Montejanos' arrival?
11. What piece of art created by Wenceslas is generating extreme criticism from his fellow artists, including Stidman?
(a) A statue of Marshal Montcornet.
(b) A silver group depicting deer.
(c) A statue of Marshal Hulot.
(d) A sculpture of Samson and Delilah.
12. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
13. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
(a) News articles criticizing his work.
(b) Money that she borrowed from her mother.
(c) A pregnancy.
(d) A lover.
14. Where does Bette convince Wenceslas to go despite Hortense forbidding him from doing so?
(a) His studio.
(b) Valerie Marneffe's house.
(c) Celestin Crevel's house.
(d) Stidman's house.
15. At what time does Wenceslas arrive home after dining with Valerie Marneffe?
(a) Eleven o'clock in the evening.
(c) Three o'clock in the morning.
(d) One o'clock in the morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wenceslas produce in the early part of his marriage in addition to and contrasting with the statue he has been hired to design by the Prince of Wissembourg?
2. What does Monsieur Crevel give Valerie in exchange for her company?
3. When the quartermaster arrives to speak privately with Hector, what does he expect the man has brought for him?
4. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
5. Which biblical figures does Valerie ask Wenceslas to sculpt for her?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)