|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose post in the War Ministry does Baron Hulot attempt to obtain for Marneffe?
(a) Monsieur Coquet's.
(b) The Prince of Wissembourg's.
(c) The Duc d'Herounville's.
(d) Marshal Hulot's.
2. What does Stidman tell Wenceslas to get him to leave his second meeting with Valerie and return home?
(a) His son is dying.
(b) His wife is dying.
(c) His wife is in trouble.
(d) His son is ill.
3. Who is the third man to whom Valerie Marneffe tells he is going to be the father of her child?
4. What does Crevel give to Valerie in exchange for her promise of being his exclusively?
(a) A house.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A dressing gown.
(d) A statue.
5. Who intercepts the letter that Valerie writes to Wenceslas?
6. What complaint does Lisbeth have when the Baron goes to her flat looking for Valerie?
(b) A migraine.
(d) A toothache.
7. What does Hortense tell Wenceslas she would have done in retribution if she had discovered that he was having an affair after their first quarrel?
(a) Taken Stidman as a lover.
(b) Killed herself.
(c) Killed him.
(d) Taken Crevel as a lover.
8. To whom does Adeline give the little money she has received from the Baron, thereby depriving herself even of food?
9. At whose suggestion does Lisbeth change her appearance?
(a) Valerie Marneffe.
(b) Hortense Hulot.
(c) Adeline Hulot.
(d) Celestine Crevel.
10. How do Crevel and Hulot feel about Montejanos' arrival?
11. Besides leading Wenceslas astray, for what other family disgrace is Baron Hulot responsible?
(a) Victorin's financial difficulties.
(b) Lisbeth's personal difficulties.
(c) Victorin's professional difficulties.
(d) Victorin's professional difficulties.
12. What does Hortense decide to do after she receives proof of Wenceslas' infidelity?
(a) Pack her things and move in with her mother.
(b) Kill Wenceslas.
(c) Take Stidman as a lover.
(d) Kill herself.
13. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
14. Why does Valerie want Baron Hulot to bring Wenceslas to dine with them?
(a) She admires his talent.
(b) She is awed by his fame.
(c) She wants to seduce him.
(d) She wants to humiliate him.
15. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
(a) He asks Valerie Marneffe for a loan.
(b) He hands over his retirement funds.
(c) He mortgages his house.
(d) He sells his furniture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening when the arrival of the Baron Montes de Montejanos is announced?
2. What does Monsieur Marneffe do when Hector tries to enter his house after receiving Valerie's letter?
3. When Hector Hulot returns home from Valerie's house after hearing of the problem between Wenceslas and Hortense, what does he discover Adeline doing?
4. What piece of evidence does Crevel provide the Baron with to prove his clandestine meetings with Valerie in his little house on the Rue du Dauphin?
5. How many beauty spots does Valerie Marneffe arrange on her person for her first meeting with Wenceslas?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)