|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year does the novel take place?
2. Why is Madame Marneffe denied an inheritance?
(a) She is an illegitimate child.
(b) Her family disowned her.
(c) She is an orphan.
(d) She is a gambler.
3. Who considers herself to be the family confessional?
(b) Jenny Cadine.
4. Who is Madame Marneffe's father?
(a) The Comte of Montcornet.
(b) Monsieur Crevel.
(c) The Comte of Clichy.
(d) The Baron.
5. What award does Monseiur Crevel wear on his National Guard uniform?
(a) A gold cross.
(b) A purple heart.
(c) A silver star.
(d) A ribbon of the Legion of Honor.
6. To whom is Lisbeth apprenticed by the Baron?
(a) The dressmakers to the high society.
(b) The glassblowers of the local village.
(c) The embroiderers to the Imperial court.
(d) The typesetters of the daily news.
7. Who is Jenny Cadine's protector?
(a) Monsieur Hulot.
(b) The Baroness.
(c) Cousin Bette.
(d) Monsieur Crevel.
8. How many suitors has Lisbeth rejected?
9. Which country does Monsieur Crevel dream of visiting?
10. How long has Monsieur Crevel been a widower?
(a) Two years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Fifteen years.
11. To what animal does Monsieur Crevel compare Mademoiselle Hortense in his conversation with the Baroness?
(a) A fox.
(b) A thoroughbred horse.
(c) A pig.
(d) A nightingale.
12. What word means animal of the rocks or chamois?
13. Why does the Baron decide to give Lisbeth a trade?
(a) She cannot read nor write.
(b) She is poor and unprotected.
(c) She wants to meet a husband.
(d) She has an aptitude for work.
14. How long had Lisbeth's beau been working on the figurine she shows to Hortense?
(a) Twelve months.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) Ten months.
(d) Two years.
15. Why is cousin Bette not accepted in society?
(a) She is an orphan.
(b) She is unmarried.
(c) She is poorly dressed.
(d) She is handicapped.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Lisbeth give Hortense and the Baroness for Wenceslas' decision to go to Russia?
2. With whom is Lisbeth on good terms in all of the houses she frequents?
3. Who informs Lisbeth that Wenceslas is to marry Hortense?
4. What is the difference in age between Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot?
5. What happens just as Lisbeth is about to set up her own business?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)