|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What financial difficulty do the Marneffes face?
(a) They have medical expenses.
(b) They have to pay off Madame Marneffe's family's debts.
(c) They have no source of income.
(d) They are behind on their rent payments.
2. What is Jenny Cadine's profession?
(a) Opera singer.
3. What reason does Lisbeth give Wenceslas to convince him not to write to anyone from jail about his predicament?
(a) To not anger her moneylender.
(b) To not worry his friends.
(c) To protect his reputation.
(d) To not make the authorities suspicious.
4. What name does Monsieur Crevel give to the modern parable of Monsieur Hulot and his family?
(a) The Rich Fool.
(b) The Friend at Night.
(c) The Bad Samaritan.
(d) The Prodigal Father.
5. How much older is the Baroness than her cousin Bette?
(a) Three years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Fifteen days.
6. For how long does Monsieur Crevel estimate that the Baroness will remain beautiful?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Five years.
(d) A lifetime.
7. Who steals Lisbeth's admirer?
(a) The Baroness.
(c) Madame Marneffe.
(d) Celestine Crevel.
8. Who is the author of Cousin Bette?
(a) Jean-Luc Goddard.
(b) Emile Zola.
(c) Gustave Flaubert.
(d) Honoré de Balzac.
9. What does Lisbeth bring home to her admirer from the dinner parties she attends?
(b) Fruit and sweets.
10. In his dedication, to what job does the author compare his work as a novelist?
(a) Supreme Court Justice.
(b) Doctor of social medicine.
(c) Theatre actor.
(d) Professor of philosophy.
11. What particular significance does the name d'Ervy have to the Baron?
(a) It is the site of a famous battle.
(b) It is his mother's maiden name.
(c) It is his birthplace.
(d) It is the name of his first love.
12. What is the significance of the name Mirah?
(a) It is an anagram of Hiram, thereby denoting Jewish heritage.
(b) It is the German word for light.
(c) It is the name of a German town.
(d) It is the name of a town in Israel.
13. How many suitors has Lisbeth rejected?
14. What gift does the Emperor bestow on the Baroness when she is a young woman?
(a) A pearl necklace.
(b) A medal of honor.
(c) A cashmere shawl.
(d) A diamond necklace.
15. What is Monsieur Crevel doing while waiting for the Baroness to enter the sitting room?
(a) Reading a newspaper.
(b) Looking at himself in a mirror.
(c) Combing his hair.
(d) Talking to himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lisbeth surmise as the cause of her admirer's failed suicide attempt?
2. What is the profession of the Baroness' son?
3. How do Monsieur Hulot and Monsieur Crevel become acquainted?
4. How does Lisbeth know the Marneffes?
5. How does Wenceslas discover the identity of the person who arranges for his release from prison?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)