|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lisbeth surmise as the cause of her admirer's failed suicide attempt?
(c) A broken heart.
2. Why has the Baroness' brother-in-law never married?
(a) He has been looking for a second Adeline.
(b) He has been horribly disfigured in the war.
(c) He has been busy amassing his fortune.
(d) He has been serving his country.
3. The author dedicates the novel to a scholar who studies which writer?
4. What does the narrator consider to be "the most reliable thermometer of wealth in Parisian households"?
(a) The table.
(b) The closet.
(c) The neighborhood.
(d) The mode of transportation.
5. What is the amount of Mademoiselle Hortense's dowry expected to be?
(a) Forty thousand francs.
(b) Two hundred thousand livres.
(c) Thirty thousand pesetas.
(d) Five thousand pounds.
6. What is the nationality of Lisbeth's romantic interest?
7. What does Monsieur Crevel suggest that Madame Hulot do to obtain a dowry for her daughter?
(a) Ask her cousin for a loan.
(b) Become his mistress.
(c) Ask her son for a loan.
(d) Become a seamstress.
8. Why does the Baron decide to give Lisbeth a trade?
(a) She has an aptitude for work.
(b) She is poor and unprotected.
(c) She wants to meet a husband.
(d) She cannot read nor write.
9. How does Wenceslas discover the identity of the person who arranges for his release from prison?
(a) A personal visit.
(b) Word of mouth.
(c) A court document.
(d) A letter.
10. What award does Monseiur Crevel wear on his National Guard uniform?
(a) A silver star.
(b) A ribbon of the Legion of Honor.
(c) A gold cross.
(d) A purple heart.
11. What reason does Lisbeth give Hortense and the Baroness for Wenceslas' decision to go to Russia?
(a) He has fled from his debts in France.
(b) He has political motivations for going there.
(c) He has received a letter from his wife summoning him.
(d) He has been offered a commission by the Czar.
12. What does Lisbeth bring home to her admirer from the dinner parties she attends?
(b) Fruit and sweets.
13. Who informs Lisbeth that Wenceslas is to marry Hortense?
(a) Madame Marneffe.
(b) The Baroness.
14. How many suitors has Lisbeth rejected?
15. Who is Madame Marneffe's father?
(a) The Comte of Montcornet.
(b) The Comte of Clichy.
(c) Monsieur Crevel.
(d) The Baron.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Monsieur Crevel doing while waiting for the Baroness to enter the sitting room?
2. What is the difference in age between Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot?
3. What job does the Baroness' son aspire to?
4. What is the profession of the Baroness' son?
5. Who considers herself to be the family confessional?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)