|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does the Baroness' son aspire to?
(a) A general in the Army.
(b) A government minister.
(c) Doing nothing.
(d) A supreme court justice.
2. What is the profession of the Baroness' son?
3. What is the significance of the name Mirah?
(a) It is an anagram of Hiram, thereby denoting Jewish heritage.
(b) It is the name of a German town.
(c) It is the German word for light.
(d) It is the name of a town in Israel.
4. With what major event do the beginnings of Monsieur Hulot's infidelities coincide?
(a) The French Revolution.
(b) The end of the empire.
(c) The Glorious Revolution.
(d) The end of the monarchy.
5. What year does the novel take place?
6. What financial difficulty do the Marneffes face?
(a) They have no source of income.
(b) They are behind on their rent payments.
(c) They have to pay off Madame Marneffe's family's debts.
(d) They have medical expenses.
7. To whom is Lisbeth apprenticed by the Baron?
(a) The dressmakers to the high society.
(b) The typesetters of the daily news.
(c) The embroiderers to the Imperial court.
(d) The glassblowers of the local village.
8. Why does the Baron decide to give Lisbeth a trade?
(a) She has an aptitude for work.
(b) She cannot read nor write.
(c) She is poor and unprotected.
(d) She wants to meet a husband.
9. What nickname does the Baron give to Lisbeth?
10. Who considers herself to be the family confessional?
(a) Jenny Cadine.
11. Who is the author of Cousin Bette?
(a) Emile Zola.
(b) Gustave Flaubert.
(c) Honoré de Balzac.
(d) Jean-Luc Goddard.
12. How do Monsieur Hulot and Monsieur Crevel become acquainted?
(a) Through their children.
(b) Through their parents.
(c) Through their mistresses.
(d) Through their military service.
13. To what animal does Monsieur Crevel compare Mademoiselle Hortense in his conversation with the Baroness?
(a) A pig.
(b) A thoroughbred horse.
(c) A nightingale.
(d) A fox.
14. How much older is the Baroness than her cousin Bette?
(a) Three years.
(b) Fifteen days.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
15. Why does the Baron want Lisbeth to move to the Rue Vaneau?
(a) To spy on Madame Marneffe.
(b) To be closer to the family.
(c) To live in a more fashionable area.
(d) To distance her from Hortense.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens just as Lisbeth is about to set up her own business?
2. Where does the Baroness come from?
3. What is the amount of Mademoiselle Hortense's dowry expected to be?
4. How long has Monsieur Crevel been a widower?
5. What name does Monsieur Crevel give to the modern parable of Monsieur Hulot and his family?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)