|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much older is the Baroness than her cousin Bette?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Fifteen days.
(d) Five years.
2. To whom is Lisbeth apprenticed by the Baron?
(a) The embroiderers to the Imperial court.
(b) The dressmakers to the high society.
(c) The glassblowers of the local village.
(d) The typesetters of the daily news.
3. With what major event do the beginnings of Monsieur Hulot's infidelities coincide?
(a) The Glorious Revolution.
(b) The end of the empire.
(c) The French Revolution.
(d) The end of the monarchy.
4. Where does the Baroness come from?
5. What subject does Lisbeth's beau teach?
6. What is the nationality of Lisbeth's romantic interest?
7. How are the Baroness and Monsieur Crevel related?
(a) The Baroness is married to Monsieur Crevel's uncle.
(b) Monsieur Crevel's son is married to the Baroness' daughter.
(c) The Baroness' son is married to Monsieur Crevel's daughter.
(d) Monsieur Crevel is married to the Baroness' cousin.
8. Who considers herself to be the family confessional?
(d) Jenny Cadine.
9. What financial difficulty do the Marneffes face?
(a) They have to pay off Madame Marneffe's family's debts.
(b) They are behind on their rent payments.
(c) They have medical expenses.
(d) They have no source of income.
10. What nickname does the Baron give to Lisbeth?
11. Why is Madame Marneffe denied an inheritance?
(a) She is a gambler.
(b) She is an orphan.
(c) Her family disowned her.
(d) She is an illegitimate child.
12. For how long does Monsieur Crevel estimate that the Baroness will remain beautiful?
(a) A lifetime.
(b) Five years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Ten years.
13. What reason does Lisbeth give Hortense and the Baroness for Wenceslas' decision to go to Russia?
(a) He has political motivations for going there.
(b) He has fled from his debts in France.
(c) He has received a letter from his wife summoning him.
(d) He has been offered a commission by the Czar.
14. Who does Wenceslas tell Lisbeth has purchased his group?
(a) The Comte of Montcornet.
(b) Monsieur Crevel.
(c) The Duc d'Herouville.
(d) The Baron.
15. Who is the author of Cousin Bette?
(a) Honoré de Balzac.
(b) Gustave Flaubert.
(c) Emile Zola.
(d) Jean-Luc Goddard.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many suitors has Lisbeth rejected?
2. What gift does the Emperor bestow on the Baroness when she is a young woman?
3. What commission does the Baron get for Lisbeth's admirer?
4. Why does the Baron decide to give Lisbeth a trade?
5. The author dedicates the novel to a scholar who studies which writer?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)