|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is cousin Bette not accepted in society?
(a) She is poorly dressed.
(b) She is an orphan.
(c) She is unmarried.
(d) She is handicapped.
2. What reason does Lisbeth give Hortense and the Baroness for Wenceslas' decision to go to Russia?
(a) He has received a letter from his wife summoning him.
(b) He has political motivations for going there.
(c) He has been offered a commission by the Czar.
(d) He has fled from his debts in France.
3. Who is Jenny Cadine's protector?
(a) Cousin Bette.
(b) Monsieur Hulot.
(c) Monsieur Crevel.
(d) The Baroness.
4. Who does Wenceslas tell Lisbeth has purchased his group?
(a) The Comte of Montcornet.
(b) The Duc d'Herouville.
(c) The Baron.
(d) Monsieur Crevel.
5. For how long does Monsieur Crevel estimate that the Baroness will remain beautiful?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) A lifetime.
6. What is the significance of the name Mirah?
(a) It is an anagram of Hiram, thereby denoting Jewish heritage.
(b) It is the name of a town in Israel.
(c) It is the German word for light.
(d) It is the name of a German town.
7. Who is Madame Marneffe's father?
(a) The Baron.
(b) Monsieur Crevel.
(c) The Comte of Clichy.
(d) The Comte of Montcornet.
8. What reason does Lisbeth give Wenceslas to convince him not to write to anyone from jail about his predicament?
(a) To not anger her moneylender.
(b) To protect his reputation.
(c) To not worry his friends.
(d) To not make the authorities suspicious.
9. With whom is Lisbeth on good terms in all of the houses she frequents?
(a) The young men.
(b) The pets.
(c) The children.
(d) The servants.
10. Who steals Lisbeth's admirer?
(a) Celestine Crevel.
(b) The Baroness.
(d) Madame Marneffe.
11. How long has Monsieur Crevel been a widower?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Ten years.
12. What financial difficulty do the Marneffes face?
(a) They have to pay off Madame Marneffe's family's debts.
(b) They have no source of income.
(c) They have medical expenses.
(d) They are behind on their rent payments.
13. What word means animal of the rocks or chamois?
14. What award does Monseiur Crevel wear on his National Guard uniform?
(a) A silver star.
(b) A ribbon of the Legion of Honor.
(c) A gold cross.
(d) A purple heart.
15. To what animal does Monsieur Crevel compare Mademoiselle Hortense in his conversation with the Baroness?
(a) A fox.
(b) A nightingale.
(c) A thoroughbred horse.
(d) A pig.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator consider to be "the most reliable thermometer of wealth in Parisian households"?
2. What does Lisbeth surmise as the cause of her admirer's failed suicide attempt?
3. Why has the Baroness' brother-in-law never married?
4. What had been Monsieur Crevel's profession?
5. What is the amount of Mademoiselle Hortense's dowry expected to be?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)