|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lisbeth know the Marneffes?
(a) They attend the same church.
(b) They live in the same building.
(c) They work in the same building.
(d) Lisbeth worked for Monsieur Marneffe.
2. Where does the Baroness come from?
3. What financial difficulty do the Marneffes face?
(a) They have no source of income.
(b) They are behind on their rent payments.
(c) They have medical expenses.
(d) They have to pay off Madame Marneffe's family's debts.
4. Who sees Monsieur Hulot in a front stall at the Varietes with Jenny Cadine?
(a) The Baroness.
(b) Cousin Bette.
(c) Monsieur Hulot's son.
(d) Mademoiselle Hortense.
5. To whom is Lisbeth apprenticed by the Baron?
(a) The typesetters of the daily news.
(b) The embroiderers to the Imperial court.
(c) The dressmakers to the high society.
(d) The glassblowers of the local village.
6. For how long does Monsieur Crevel estimate that the Baroness will remain beautiful?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Five years.
(c) A lifetime.
(d) Fifteen years.
7. With what major event do the beginnings of Monsieur Hulot's infidelities coincide?
(a) The Glorious Revolution.
(b) The end of the monarchy.
(c) The French Revolution.
(d) The end of the empire.
8. What does Lisbeth surmise as the cause of her admirer's failed suicide attempt?
(c) A broken heart.
9. How are the Baroness and Monsieur Crevel related?
(a) The Baroness' son is married to Monsieur Crevel's daughter.
(b) The Baroness is married to Monsieur Crevel's uncle.
(c) Monsieur Crevel's son is married to the Baroness' daughter.
(d) Monsieur Crevel is married to the Baroness' cousin.
10. To what animal does Monsieur Crevel compare Mademoiselle Hortense in his conversation with the Baroness?
(a) A nightingale.
(b) A pig.
(c) A fox.
(d) A thoroughbred horse.
11. What does the narrator consider to be "the most reliable thermometer of wealth in Parisian households"?
(a) The mode of transportation.
(b) The table.
(c) The neighborhood.
(d) The closet.
12. What is the difference in age between Monsieur Crevel and Monsieur Hulot?
(a) Hulot is ten years younger.
(b) Crevel is seven years younger.
(c) Crevel is ten years younger.
(d) Hulot is seven years younger.
13. What is the amount of Mademoiselle Hortense's dowry expected to be?
(a) Two hundred thousand livres.
(b) Five thousand pounds.
(c) Forty thousand francs.
(d) Thirty thousand pesetas.
14. Who considers herself to be the family confessional?
(a) Jenny Cadine.
15. What does Lisbeth bring home to her admirer from the dinner parties she attends?
(b) Fruit and sweets.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Monsieur Hulot and Monsieur Crevel become acquainted?
2. How does Wenceslas discover the identity of the person who arranges for his release from prison?
3. What is Jenny Cadine's profession?
4. How long has Monsieur Crevel been a widower?
5. What word means animal of the rocks or chamois?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)