|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Wenceslas tell Lisbeth has purchased his group?
(a) The Duc d'Herouville.
(b) The Comte of Montcornet.
(c) The Baron.
(d) Monsieur Crevel.
2. Who steals Lisbeth's admirer?
(a) The Baroness.
(b) Madame Marneffe.
(d) Celestine Crevel.
3. How many suitors has Lisbeth rejected?
4. Why does the Baron decide to give Lisbeth a trade?
(a) She has an aptitude for work.
(b) She wants to meet a husband.
(c) She cannot read nor write.
(d) She is poor and unprotected.
5. What does the narrator consider to be "the most reliable thermometer of wealth in Parisian households"?
(a) The mode of transportation.
(b) The closet.
(c) The table.
(d) The neighborhood.
6. To whom is Lisbeth apprenticed by the Baron?
(a) The embroiderers to the Imperial court.
(b) The glassblowers of the local village.
(c) The dressmakers to the high society.
(d) The typesetters of the daily news.
7. What commission does the Baron get for Lisbeth's admirer?
(a) A statue of Marshal Montcornet.
(b) A clock for the prince.
(c) A group for Monsieur Crevel.
(d) A statue of Napoleon.
8. How does Lisbeth know the Marneffes?
(a) They live in the same building.
(b) Lisbeth worked for Monsieur Marneffe.
(c) They attend the same church.
(d) They work in the same building.
9. What is the nationality of Lisbeth's romantic interest?
10. To what animal does Monsieur Crevel compare Mademoiselle Hortense in his conversation with the Baroness?
(a) A nightingale.
(b) A pig.
(c) A fox.
(d) A thoroughbred horse.
11. What particular significance does the name d'Ervy have to the Baron?
(a) It is his birthplace.
(b) It is his mother's maiden name.
(c) It is the site of a famous battle.
(d) It is the name of his first love.
12. With whom is Lisbeth on good terms in all of the houses she frequents?
(a) The children.
(b) The pets.
(c) The young men.
(d) The servants.
13. In his dedication, to what job does the author compare his work as a novelist?
(a) Supreme Court Justice.
(b) Doctor of social medicine.
(c) Professor of philosophy.
(d) Theatre actor.
14. What is the amount of Mademoiselle Hortense's dowry expected to be?
(a) Forty thousand francs.
(b) Five thousand pounds.
(c) Two hundred thousand livres.
(d) Thirty thousand pesetas.
15. What had been Monsieur Crevel's profession?
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does the Baron give to Lisbeth?
2. What does Lisbeth bring home to her admirer from the dinner parties she attends?
3. How long has Monsieur Crevel been a widower?
4. Why does the Baron want Lisbeth to move to the Rue Vaneau?
5. Which country does Monsieur Crevel dream of visiting?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)