|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his dedication, to what job does the author compare his work as a novelist?
(a) Theatre actor.
(b) Doctor of social medicine.
(c) Supreme Court Justice.
(d) Professor of philosophy.
2. With what major event do the beginnings of Monsieur Hulot's infidelities coincide?
(a) The end of the empire.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The Glorious Revolution.
(d) The end of the monarchy.
3. What is the amount of Mademoiselle Hortense's dowry expected to be?
(a) Two hundred thousand livres.
(b) Five thousand pounds.
(c) Forty thousand francs.
(d) Thirty thousand pesetas.
4. What commission does the Baron get for Lisbeth's admirer?
(a) A statue of Marshal Montcornet.
(b) A statue of Napoleon.
(c) A group for Monsieur Crevel.
(d) A clock for the prince.
5. With whom is Lisbeth on good terms in all of the houses she frequents?
(a) The pets.
(b) The children.
(c) The young men.
(d) The servants.
6. What is the significance of the name Mirah?
(a) It is the German word for light.
(b) It is an anagram of Hiram, thereby denoting Jewish heritage.
(c) It is the name of a town in Israel.
(d) It is the name of a German town.
7. According to the narrator, what is the fundamental feature of Lisbeth's character?
8. How long has Monsieur Crevel been a widower?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Five years.
9. What reason does Lisbeth give Hortense and the Baroness for Wenceslas' decision to go to Russia?
(a) He has fled from his debts in France.
(b) He has received a letter from his wife summoning him.
(c) He has been offered a commission by the Czar.
(d) He has political motivations for going there.
10. Why is Madame Marneffe denied an inheritance?
(a) She is an illegitimate child.
(b) Her family disowned her.
(c) She is a gambler.
(d) She is an orphan.
11. To what animal does Monsieur Crevel compare Mademoiselle Hortense in his conversation with the Baroness?
(a) A nightingale.
(b) A pig.
(c) A thoroughbred horse.
(d) A fox.
12. Who considers herself to be the family confessional?
(d) Jenny Cadine.
13. What is the profession of the Baroness' son?
14. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison?
(b) The Baron.
15. What award does Monseiur Crevel wear on his National Guard uniform?
(a) A purple heart.
(b) A silver star.
(c) A ribbon of the Legion of Honor.
(d) A gold cross.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Lisbeth apprenticed by the Baron?
2. Who is Madame Marneffe's father?
3. What financial difficulty do the Marneffes face?
4. Who is the author of Cousin Bette?
5. What word means animal of the rocks or chamois?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)