|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What commission does the Baron get for Lisbeth's admirer?
(a) A statue of Marshal Montcornet.
(b) A clock for the prince.
(c) A group for Monsieur Crevel.
(d) A statue of Napoleon.
2. What had been Monsieur Crevel's profession?
3. What reason does Lisbeth give Hortense and the Baroness for Wenceslas' decision to go to Russia?
(a) He has received a letter from his wife summoning him.
(b) He has fled from his debts in France.
(c) He has political motivations for going there.
(d) He has been offered a commission by the Czar.
4. What is the significance of the name Mirah?
(a) It is an anagram of Hiram, thereby denoting Jewish heritage.
(b) It is the German word for light.
(c) It is the name of a German town.
(d) It is the name of a town in Israel.
5. For how long does Monsieur Crevel estimate that the Baroness will remain beautiful?
(a) Ten years.
(b) A lifetime.
(c) Five years.
(d) Fifteen years.
6. What does Monsieur Crevel suggest that Madame Hulot do to obtain a dowry for her daughter?
(a) Ask her son for a loan.
(b) Ask her cousin for a loan.
(c) Become his mistress.
(d) Become a seamstress.
7. Why has the Baroness' brother-in-law never married?
(a) He has been horribly disfigured in the war.
(b) He has been busy amassing his fortune.
(c) He has been looking for a second Adeline.
(d) He has been serving his country.
8. What is Jenny Cadine's profession?
(b) Opera singer.
9. Who is Jenny Cadine's protector?
(a) Monsieur Hulot.
(b) Cousin Bette.
(c) The Baroness.
(d) Monsieur Crevel.
10. What is the amount of Mademoiselle Hortense's dowry expected to be?
(a) Forty thousand francs.
(b) Five thousand pounds.
(c) Two hundred thousand livres.
(d) Thirty thousand pesetas.
11. Who is the author of Cousin Bette?
(a) Jean-Luc Goddard.
(b) Honoré de Balzac.
(c) Emile Zola.
(d) Gustave Flaubert.
12. Who is Madame Marneffe's father?
(a) Monsieur Crevel.
(b) The Comte of Montcornet.
(c) The Comte of Clichy.
(d) The Baron.
13. What award does Monseiur Crevel wear on his National Guard uniform?
(a) A ribbon of the Legion of Honor.
(b) A silver star.
(c) A gold cross.
(d) A purple heart.
14. What job does the Baroness' son aspire to?
(a) Doing nothing.
(b) A general in the Army.
(c) A supreme court justice.
(d) A government minister.
15. What gift does the Emperor bestow on the Baroness when she is a young woman?
(a) A medal of honor.
(b) A cashmere shawl.
(c) A diamond necklace.
(d) A pearl necklace.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Baron decide to give Lisbeth a trade?
2. According to the narrator, what is the fundamental feature of Lisbeth's character?
3. With whom is Lisbeth on good terms in all of the houses she frequents?
4. How does Lisbeth know the Marneffes?
5. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)