|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Wenceslas tell Lisbeth has purchased his group?
(a) The Duc d'Herouville.
(b) The Baron.
(c) Monsieur Crevel.
(d) The Comte of Montcornet.
2. With what major event do the beginnings of Monsieur Hulot's infidelities coincide?
(a) The end of the empire.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The end of the monarchy.
(d) The Glorious Revolution.
3. What commission does the Baron get for Lisbeth's admirer?
(a) A statue of Napoleon.
(b) A clock for the prince.
(c) A group for Monsieur Crevel.
(d) A statue of Marshal Montcornet.
4. Who considers herself to be the family confessional?
(a) Jenny Cadine.
5. Who is the author of Cousin Bette?
(a) Jean-Luc Goddard.
(b) Honoré de Balzac.
(c) Emile Zola.
(d) Gustave Flaubert.
6. What financial difficulty do the Marneffes face?
(a) They have medical expenses.
(b) They are behind on their rent payments.
(c) They have to pay off Madame Marneffe's family's debts.
(d) They have no source of income.
7. How do Monsieur Hulot and Monsieur Crevel become acquainted?
(a) Through their mistresses.
(b) Through their parents.
(c) Through their children.
(d) Through their military service.
8. What subject does Lisbeth's beau teach?
9. Who is Jenny Cadine's protector?
(a) Cousin Bette.
(b) Monsieur Hulot.
(c) The Baroness.
(d) Monsieur Crevel.
10. In his dedication, to what job does the author compare his work as a novelist?
(a) Doctor of social medicine.
(b) Theatre actor.
(c) Supreme Court Justice.
(d) Professor of philosophy.
11. How are the Baroness and Monsieur Crevel related?
(a) Monsieur Crevel is married to the Baroness' cousin.
(b) The Baroness is married to Monsieur Crevel's uncle.
(c) The Baroness' son is married to Monsieur Crevel's daughter.
(d) Monsieur Crevel's son is married to the Baroness' daughter.
12. What happens just as Lisbeth is about to set up her own business?
(a) She goes bankrupt.
(b) She accepts a marriage proposal.
(c) The empire collapses.
(d) She becomes gravely ill.
13. What does Lisbeth surmise as the cause of her admirer's failed suicide attempt?
(d) A broken heart.
14. How long has Monsieur Crevel been a widower?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Fifteen years.
15. According to the narrator, what is the fundamental feature of Lisbeth's character?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lisbeth know the Marneffes?
2. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison?
3. Who steals Lisbeth's admirer?
4. Which country does Monsieur Crevel dream of visiting?
5. How does Wenceslas discover the identity of the person who arranges for his release from prison?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)