|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 149 - 286.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Wenceslas tell Hortense he plans to go early the next morning following his dinner with Valerie?
(b) The bank.
(c) His studio.
(d) The War Ministry.
2. On what condition does Crevel agree to pay for a copy of the biblically-themed figure that Wenceslas is sculpting for Valerie Marneffe?
(a) That it be signed by the sculptor.
(b) That it be the only copy in existence.
(c) That it be completed before Christmas.
(d) That Valerie serve as model.
3. To what animal does Monsieur Crevel compare Mademoiselle Hortense in his conversation with the Baroness?
(a) A fox.
(b) A nightingale.
(c) A thoroughbred horse.
(d) A pig.
4. What is the significance of the name Mirah?
(a) It is the name of a German town.
(b) It is the German word for light.
(c) It is the name of a town in Israel.
(d) It is an anagram of Hiram, thereby denoting Jewish heritage.
5. With what major event do the beginnings of Monsieur Hulot's infidelities coincide?
(a) The end of the empire.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The Glorious Revolution.
(d) The end of the monarchy.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
2. When the quartermaster arrives to speak privately with Hector, what does he expect the man has brought for him?
3. What does Hortense decide to do after she receives proof of Wenceslas' infidelity?
4. The author dedicates the novel to a scholar who studies which writer?
5. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)