|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 149 - 286.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hortense react upon learning that Wenceslas has lied to her about his whereabouts?
(a) She faints and has nervous convulsions.
(b) She becomes sad, shouts and begins to cry.
(c) She laughs it off.
(d) She starts breaking things in the room and has to be restrained.
2. How much older is the Baroness than her cousin Bette?
(a) Three years.
(b) Fifteen days.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Five years.
3. Why does Stidman try to stay away from Wenceslas' house?
(a) He is angry with Wenceslas.
(b) He is attracted to Hortense.
(c) He does not like Hortense.
(d) He does not like Bette.
4. How does Adeline attempt to console Hortense after her first quarrel with Wenceslas?
(a) She tells her that all men are animals.
(b) She confesses Hector's infidelities.
(c) She assures her that Valerie Marneffe is a decent woman.
(d) She reminds her that Wenceslas has never lied to her before.
5. How does Wenceslas discover the identity of the person who arranges for his release from prison?
(a) A personal visit.
(b) A letter.
(c) Word of mouth.
(d) A court document.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the third man to whom Valerie Marneffe tells he is going to be the father of her child?
2. What year does the novel take place?
3. What word means animal of the rocks or chamois?
4. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
5. To which Shakespeare character does the narrator compare Montejanos, due to his physique and complexion?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)