|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 149 - 286.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Lisbeth dream of marrying?
(a) Marshall Hulot.
(b) Johann Fischer.
(c) Monsieur Stidman.
(d) Monsieur Crevel.
2. What happens just as Lisbeth is about to set up her own business?
(a) She becomes gravely ill.
(b) The empire collapses.
(c) She accepts a marriage proposal.
(d) She goes bankrupt.
3. In his dedication, to what job does the author compare his work as a novelist?
(a) Theatre actor.
(b) Doctor of social medicine.
(c) Supreme Court Justice.
(d) Professor of philosophy.
4. What does Monsieur Marneffe do when Hector tries to enter his house after receiving Valerie's letter?
(a) He calls the police.
(b) He threatens Valerie with a pistol.
(c) He beats Hector up.
(d) He threatens Hector with a pistol.
5. What reason does Lisbeth give Hortense and the Baroness for Wenceslas' decision to go to Russia?
(a) He has fled from his debts in France.
(b) He has political motivations for going there.
(c) He has been offered a commission by the Czar.
(d) He has received a letter from his wife summoning him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides leading Wenceslas astray, for what other family disgrace is Baron Hulot responsible?
2. Early in their relationship, who refuses to accompany the Baron to Valerie's house despite her entreaties?
3. What financial difficulty do the Marneffes face?
4. What nickname does the Baron give to Lisbeth?
5. Who gives money to Adeline's cook so that she may provide a meal for the family?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)