|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 149 - 286.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hortense react upon learning that Wenceslas has lied to her about his whereabouts?
(a) She laughs it off.
(b) She becomes sad, shouts and begins to cry.
(c) She starts breaking things in the room and has to be restrained.
(d) She faints and has nervous convulsions.
2. What solution does Bette offer first when Hortense explains her financial predicament?
(a) She suggests they help her arrange a marriage to Marshal Hulot.
(b) She advises Hortense to sell her diamonds.
(c) She counsels Hortense to ask Adeline for money.
(d) She tells Hortense to pawn all of her valuables.
3. Why is Madame Marneffe denied an inheritance?
(a) Her family disowned her.
(b) She is an illegitimate child.
(c) She is an orphan.
(d) She is a gambler.
4. What financial difficulty do the Marneffes face?
(a) They have no source of income.
(b) They have medical expenses.
(c) They have to pay off Madame Marneffe's family's debts.
(d) They are behind on their rent payments.
5. At whose suggestion does Lisbeth change her appearance?
(a) Celestine Crevel.
(b) Hortense Hulot.
(c) Valerie Marneffe.
(d) Adeline Hulot.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author dedicates the novel to a scholar who studies which writer?
2. Where does the Baroness come from?
3. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
4. Who is the author of Cousin Bette?
5. What does Hortense tell Wenceslas she would have done in retribution if she had discovered that he was having an affair after their first quarrel?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)