|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 149 - 286.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does the Baroness' son aspire to?
(a) A general in the Army.
(b) Doing nothing.
(c) A government minister.
(d) A supreme court justice.
2. Who inadvertently informs Hortense that Wenceslas had lied to her about his whereabouts the evening that he dined with Valerie Marneffe?
(c) Baron Hulot.
3. What reason does Lisbeth give Wenceslas to convince him not to write to anyone from jail about his predicament?
(a) To not worry his friends.
(b) To not anger her moneylender.
(c) To protect his reputation.
(d) To not make the authorities suspicious.
4. What does the narrator consider to be "the most reliable thermometer of wealth in Parisian households"?
(a) The closet.
(b) The neighborhood.
(c) The mode of transportation.
(d) The table.
5. In his dedication, to what job does the author compare his work as a novelist?
(a) Professor of philosophy.
(b) Theatre actor.
(c) Supreme Court Justice.
(d) Doctor of social medicine.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after moving to the Rue Vaneau does Valerie wait before receiving Monsieur Crevel?
2. Who considers herself to be the family confessional?
3. What particular significance does the name d'Ervy have to the Baron?
4. What gift does the Emperor bestow on the Baroness when she is a young woman?
5. What piece of evidence does Crevel provide the Baron with to prove his clandestine meetings with Valerie in his little house on the Rue du Dauphin?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)