|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 149 - 286.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baron Hulot agree to provide for Valerie Marneffe's second child?
(a) Twelve hundred francs per year.
(b) A job in government service when he reaches adulthood.
(c) A place to live.
(d) The Hulot family name.
2. Whose post in the War Ministry does Baron Hulot attempt to obtain for Marneffe?
(a) The Duc d'Herounville's.
(b) The Prince of Wissembourg's.
(c) Monsieur Coquet's.
(d) Marshal Hulot's.
3. How does Hortense react upon learning that Wenceslas has lied to her about his whereabouts?
(a) She laughs it off.
(b) She faints and has nervous convulsions.
(c) She becomes sad, shouts and begins to cry.
(d) She starts breaking things in the room and has to be restrained.
4. How does Lisbeth know the Marneffes?
(a) They attend the same church.
(b) They live in the same building.
(c) They work in the same building.
(d) Lisbeth worked for Monsieur Marneffe.
5. Why is cousin Bette not accepted in society?
(a) She is an orphan.
(b) She is unmarried.
(c) She is poorly dressed.
(d) She is handicapped.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of evidence does Crevel provide the Baron with to prove his clandestine meetings with Valerie in his little house on the Rue du Dauphin?
2. What reason does Lisbeth give Wenceslas to convince him not to write to anyone from jail about his predicament?
3. What does Lisbeth surmise as the cause of her admirer's failed suicide attempt?
4. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
5. What does Hortense decide to do after she receives proof of Wenceslas' infidelity?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)