|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 5 - 148.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Wenceslas discover the identity of the person who arranges for his release from prison?
(a) Word of mouth.
(b) A letter.
(c) A court document.
(d) A personal visit.
2. Why does the Baron decide to give Lisbeth a trade?
(a) She is poor and unprotected.
(b) She has an aptitude for work.
(c) She wants to meet a husband.
(d) She cannot read nor write.
3. Who sees Monsieur Hulot in a front stall at the Varietes with Jenny Cadine?
(a) Mademoiselle Hortense.
(b) Cousin Bette.
(c) The Baroness.
(d) Monsieur Hulot's son.
4. What does Lisbeth surmise as the cause of her admirer's failed suicide attempt?
(c) A broken heart.
5. How many suitors has Lisbeth rejected?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of Cousin Bette?
2. The author dedicates the novel to a scholar who studies which writer?
3. Who is Jenny Cadine's protector?
4. To what animal does Monsieur Crevel compare Mademoiselle Hortense in his conversation with the Baroness?
5. What reason does Lisbeth give Wenceslas to convince him not to write to anyone from jail about his predicament?
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)