|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 5 - 148.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what animal does Monsieur Crevel compare Mademoiselle Hortense in his conversation with the Baroness?
(a) A thoroughbred horse.
(b) A pig.
(c) A fox.
(d) A nightingale.
2. What year does the novel take place?
3. With what major event do the beginnings of Monsieur Hulot's infidelities coincide?
(a) The end of the monarchy.
(b) The end of the empire.
(c) The Glorious Revolution.
(d) The French Revolution.
4. What is Monsieur Crevel doing while waiting for the Baroness to enter the sitting room?
(a) Looking at himself in a mirror.
(b) Talking to himself.
(c) Reading a newspaper.
(d) Combing his hair.
5. What is the amount of Mademoiselle Hortense's dowry expected to be?
(a) Two hundred thousand livres.
(b) Thirty thousand pesetas.
(c) Five thousand pounds.
(d) Forty thousand francs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator consider to be "the most reliable thermometer of wealth in Parisian households"?
2. In his dedication, to what job does the author compare his work as a novelist?
3. With whom is Lisbeth on good terms in all of the houses she frequents?
4. The author dedicates the novel to a scholar who studies which writer?
5. Who is the author of Cousin Bette?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)