|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 149 - 286.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Monsieur Crevel give to the modern parable of Monsieur Hulot and his family?
(a) The Friend at Night.
(b) The Bad Samaritan.
(c) The Prodigal Father.
(d) The Rich Fool.
2. What does the narrator consider to be "the most reliable thermometer of wealth in Parisian households"?
(a) The mode of transportation.
(b) The closet.
(c) The table.
(d) The neighborhood.
3. Who is the author of Cousin Bette?
(a) Honoré de Balzac.
(b) Jean-Luc Goddard.
(c) Gustave Flaubert.
(d) Emile Zola.
4. What does Victorin contribute to help his father get out of debt?
(a) He asks Valerie Marneffe for a loan.
(b) He sells his furniture.
(c) He hands over his retirement funds.
(d) He mortgages his house.
5. What is happening when the arrival of the Baron Montes de Montejanos is announced?
(a) Guests are playing games in Valerie Marneffe's drawing-room.
(b) Valerie and Lisbeth are scheming to have the Marshal propose marriage to Bette.
(c) Valerie and Baron Hulot are sitting down to dinner.
(d) Valerie and Crevel are having an argument in her room.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long does Monsieur Crevel estimate that the Baroness will remain beautiful?
2. What particular significance does the name d'Ervy have to the Baron?
3. After Hector receives bad news from Johann Fischer, what bad news does he receive from Valerie in a letter?
4. At what time does Wenceslas arrive home after dining with Valerie Marneffe?
5. What does Lisbeth surmise as the cause of her admirer's failed suicide attempt?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)