|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 149 - 286.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of Cousin Bette?
(a) Emile Zola.
(b) Gustave Flaubert.
(c) Honoré de Balzac.
(d) Jean-Luc Goddard.
2. What does Hortense hide from Wenceslas?
(a) A pregnancy.
(b) A lover.
(c) Money that she borrowed from her mother.
(d) News articles criticizing his work.
3. Why is cousin Bette not accepted in society?
(a) She is unmarried.
(b) She is handicapped.
(c) She is poorly dressed.
(d) She is an orphan.
4. What piece of evidence does Crevel provide the Baron with to prove his clandestine meetings with Valerie in his little house on the Rue du Dauphin?
(a) A scarf.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A hat.
(d) A letter.
5. What year does the novel take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lisbeth surmise as the cause of her admirer's failed suicide attempt?
2. After Hector receives bad news from Johann Fischer, what bad news does he receive from Valerie in a letter?
3. What type of woman does Monsieur Crevel confess to Lisbeth that he has never had until his relationship with Valerie?
4. With what major event do the beginnings of Monsieur Hulot's infidelities coincide?
5. Who arranges for Wenceslas to be released from prison?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)