|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator engage Elijah in conversation?
(a) She asks what he will be cooking for dinner.
(b) She asks to accompany him on a walk.
(c) She asks him about his wife.
(d) She talks to him about about fishing.
2. What impresses the narrator upon arriving?
(a) The young men's gentlemanly manners.
(b) The size of the family.
(c) The many carriages.
(d) The size of the house.
3. What does Elijah do in honor of his wife?
(a) He lives a solitary life alone in their house.
(b) He vows never to remarry.
(c) He cries when he talks about her.
(d) He visits her grave daily.
4. What hobby of Elijah's surprises the narrator?
(a) He cooks.
(b) He paints.
(c) He crochets.
(d) He knits.
5. What does Joanna reveal to Mrs. Todd?
(a) That she has decided to return to Dunnet Landing.
(b) That she has committed the ultimate sin.
(c) That she has decided to stay on the island.
(d) That she has fallen ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the narrator glad someone interrupts her at the beginning of Chapter 20?
2. What plant does Mrs. Todd mention that grows at the Bowden's?
3. What positive characteristics do Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Caplin ascribe to Sant?
4. Why is the narrator surprised by the invitation?
5. How does Mrs. Todd react to Joanna's revelation?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)