|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator remark that the seamen's minds seem to be fixed on?
(d) The contrivances of man.
2. What positive characteristics do Mrs. Todd and Mrs. Caplin ascribe to Sant?
(a) Athletic ability and critical discernment.
(b) Knowledge in financial matters.
(c) Military knowledge and strategic thinking.
(d) A sharp mind.
3. Which character in the novel best symbolizes the theme of undying love?
(d) Mrs. Todd.
4. How does the narrator characterize Captain Littlepage's reaction to Gaffett's story?
(a) He believes that the story is true.
(b) He believes that Gaffett made the story up.
(c) He believes that too much time at sea can affect your thinking.
(d) He believes that sailing is dangerous.
5. What time of year does the story take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which place in the novel best characterizes the theme of strife against the passage of time?
2. How has the funeral affected the Captain's mood in Chapter 5?
3. What had Mrs. Todd been doing prior to her evening visit with Mrs. Fosdick and the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 13?
4. What does the narrator compare her days on the island to?
5. Where does the narrator go to write in Chapter 1?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)