|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elijah do that causes him to shed a tear while talking to the narrator?
(a) He talks about the little details of being married.
(b) He talks about how much he misses his wife.
(c) He talks about how painful her death was.
(d) He talks about how much he misses fishing.
2. What does the narrator assert during the beginning of her conversation with Captain Littlepage in Chapter 5?
(a) That someday "everyone will know."
(b) That death must be the end.
(c) That no one can know the answer.
(d) That there must certainly be life after death.
3. What had Mrs. Todd been doing prior to her evening visit with Mrs. Fosdick and the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Making spruce beer.
(b) Making cough drops.
(c) Making herbal teas.
(d) Making syrup.
4. Who does Joanna request make the trip to the island should she fall ill?
(a) The town doctor.
(b) Mrs. Todd.
(c) Mrs. Blackett.
(d) The minister.
5. What happened when Gaffett and his companion left "the waiting place"?
(a) The townspeople seemed to taunt them.
(b) The animals watched as they moved out of sight.
(c) They worried that they would freeze.
(d) The coastline disappeared.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator notice about her own thoughts as the funeral procession moves out of sight?
2. What connection does Mrs. Todd see between the tansy in the schoolyard and people?
3. Where did Gaffett say he had previously been shipwrecked?
4. What does the narrator compare Dunnet Landing's cottage windows to?
5. What does the narrator do once she's left the house?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)