|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 55 when Willow goes to the library, what is the subject of the book she gets?
2. What plant does a man donate for the garden in Chapter 50?
3. In Chapter 53, where does Quang-ha suggest all the new plants be taken?
4. What is released after the memorial service in Chapter 29?
5. What does Willow buy in Chapter 53 when she visits the Southside Nursery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pattie find for Willow to do in Chapter 44, and how do Willow's projects benefit Pattie?
2. Where does Willow wish that Lenore Cole would go in Chapter 36?
3. Why does Duke bring Cheddar back to the apartment complex in Chapter 5?
4. In Chapter 41, why is Mai enjoying life?
5. Why does Duke come to his apartment on Saturday in Chapter 39?
6. In Chapter 45, why does Willow need athletic shoes, and where does she get them from?
7. In Chapter 34, by the time that Duke and Quang-ha arrive, what have Willow and Pattie accomplished?
8. How does Duke's first session with running go?
9. How does Willow get rid of the lava rock at the apartment complex in Chapter 48?
10. Why is Quang-ha alarmed when he is leaving school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Duke has a system of categories he uses to classify the students he counsels. Discuss Duke’s system, how it evolves, and what it reveals about Duke and his motives and personality.
Essay Topic 2
Mai is frequently telling Duke what to do. How would you describe the dynamic between Duke and Mai, and why does she always seem to be in charge even though she is younger?
Essay Topic 3
The number seven is important to Willow. How does the importance of the number change after her parents die? What does Willow decide about the number seven and its significance at the end of the novel?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)