|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 35, what bar does Duke go to while Lenore Cole visits?
2. Who helps wash windows in Chapter 50?
3. In Chapter 29, where is the memorial service held for Willow's parents?
4. In Chapter 42, what used to be in the container that Quang-ha chooses to plant his sunflower seed?
5. What is the name of Duke's roommate in Chapter 37?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Duke bring Cheddar back to the apartment complex in Chapter 5?
2. What does Willow include in her proposal to create an interior garden at the apartment complex?
3. Why is Willow upset when balloons are handed out after her parents' memorial service?
4. How does Willow get rid of the lava rock at the apartment complex in Chapter 48?
5. In Chapter 31, what does Willow say that the manicurists talk about?
6. Why does Willow mix water and sugar in Chapter 39?
7. What does Duke do when he wakes early in the morning at the end of Chapter 56?
8. In Chapter 45, why does Willow need athletic shoes, and where does she get them from?
9. What does Pattie find for Willow to do in Chapter 44, and how do Willow's projects benefit Pattie?
10. How does power spraying change the appearance of the apartment complex in Chapter 50?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Mai goes inside Willow’s house with her, she sees something that makes her decide to have Willow stay with her family. What does Mai see, and how does that influence her to want Willow to stay with her family?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses various points of view in the novel to reveal Willow and who she is. Analyze the impact of the author’s choices of how she introduces and develops Willow’s character.
Essay Topic 3
Pattie grew up in Vietnam, and she was the daughter of a Vietnamese woman and a black U.S. soldier. How does Pattie’s background influence her decision to care for Willow and the way that she treats Willow?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)