|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 51, where is the vet located that Duke takes Cheddar to?
2. What does Willow find in the sofa in Chapter 36 that Mai says might be lucky?
3. In Chapter 45, what does Duke eat seconds of for dinner?
4. In Chapter 45, how many home visitation checks has Willow had?
5. What plant does a man donate for the garden in Chapter 50?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Willow receive at the beginning of Chapter 55?
2. Why does Willow mix water and sugar in Chapter 39?
3. What does Duke briefly consider about Willow in Chapter 54, and why does he decide he cannot help?
4. What does Duke do when he wakes early in the morning at the end of Chapter 56?
5. How does power spraying change the appearance of the apartment complex in Chapter 50?
6. In Chapter 47, what happens at an Adoption Fair?
7. How does Willow get rid of the lava rock at the apartment complex in Chapter 48?
8. In Chapter 45, why does Willow need athletic shoes, and where does she get them from?
9. In Chapter 41, why is Mai enjoying life?
10. What greenery is there at Duke's apartment complex?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Quang-ha resents Willow when she comes to stay with them. How would you describe the relationship between Quang-ha and Willow at the beginning of the novel? How does the relationship change and what factors cause the relationship to change?
Essay Topic 2
Pattie grew up in Vietnam, and she was the daughter of a Vietnamese woman and a black U.S. soldier. How does Pattie’s background influence her decision to care for Willow and the way that she treats Willow?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, some characters are more thoroughly described than others. Who are some characters that are merely named in passing or have a minor role in the novel? What is the importance of these flat characters to the story line? In what way do these characters make the main characters more colorful or interesting? When there is conflict, what type of role do these flat characters play?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)