|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 22, how many library books does Willow have that need to be returned?
2. What is the name of Duke's cat?
3. In Chapter 15, how long has it been since Roberta Chance saw a small dimple on the left side of her chest?
4. In Chapter 6, how long does Willow remember playing chess against the computer?
5. What color chair does Willow hide behind at the library in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Willow fix herself to drink after she gets home in Chapter 10?
2. Where does Willow find a place to sleep at the library in Chapter 26?
3. Why was Duke let go from a job at an assisted-living center?
4. Why does Duke change Quang-ha's classification in Chapter 11?
5. Who was Willow's friend in grade school, and what happened to the friendship?
6. What is Pattie Nguyen's background?
7. Why did Willow write Jairo Hernandez a note in Chapter 14?
8. What does Willow observe about Lenore Cole when she first sees her?
9. How does Willow describe Duke?
10. What is the place like where Mai and her family live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is told from several different points of view. Analyze the author’s choice to change point of view from first person to third person and how this affects what readers know about characters as well as how it affect the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Duke has a system of categories he uses to classify the students he counsels. Discuss Duke’s system, how it evolves, and what it reveals about Duke and his motives and personality.
Essay Topic 3
Pattie grew up in Vietnam, and she was the daughter of a Vietnamese woman and a black U.S. soldier. How does Pattie’s background influence her decision to care for Willow and the way that she treats Willow?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)