|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Duke drive at the end of Chapter 25?
2. In Chapter 12, how long has Jairo Hernandez been driving for Mexicano Taxi?
3. What is the first thing that Willow notices about Jairo in Chapter 14?
4. What color hat does Willow wear when she gardens?
5. In Chapter 9, what grade is Mai in in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens shortly after Willow arrives at the Jamison Children's Center?
2. How does Willow describe her grandmother?
3. In Chapter 8, how do students begin to treat Willow differently?
4. Why does Duke go to Mai's high school in Chapter 27?
5. How did Jimmy and Roberta die?
6. What did Mai tell Duke that they needed to do in Chapter 16?
7. What does Duke see when he drives past the Chance house in Chapter 25?
8. Why does Pattie decide not to carry peacock-blue nail polish in her salon in Chapter 19?
9. How does Willow get from the hospital to Beale Memorial Library?
10. What is the place like where Mai and her family live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Quang-ha resents Willow when she comes to stay with them. How would you describe the relationship between Quang-ha and Willow at the beginning of the novel? How does the relationship change and what factors cause the relationship to change?
Essay Topic 2
The garden project at the apartment building is an important factor in Willow learning to deal with her new life. How does the garden project help Willow, and why do plants play an important role in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Pattie grew up in Vietnam, and she was the daughter of a Vietnamese woman and a black U.S. soldier. How does Pattie’s background influence her decision to care for Willow and the way that she treats Willow?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)