|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what position is Koffler appointed?
2. What does McInerney want Galloway to do?
3. At what hotel is McInerney meeting with D. Franco?
4. Where do Koffler and Reeves find Howard?
5. How does the man Banning meets with from question #139 at first feel about Banning being there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Koffler see at the Elms and what do they discuss?
2. What does Stecker tell Banning when they meet about Banning's organization?
3. What does Pickering send to Knox from Melbourne and what is his situation with MacArthur?
4. What is in the letter Pickering sends to Knox in which he also has a request about Banning?
5. What do Barbara and Ernie do the day before Barbara ships out? What are Barbara's plans and how do they change?
6. What does Pickering do when MacArthur moves his headquarters? What does Pickering tell Knox about the Pacific operations?
7. What about the military does MacArthur and Pickering discuss when they first meet?
8. Where does Pickering see his son and what do they talk about?
9. Why is Koffler being dropped behind enemy lines?
10. What does Pickering tell Knox about Koffler's mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Counterattack.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Counterattack. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Counterattack. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Griffin is masterful in his description of battles and life in general for a soldier during the second world war. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze Griffin's descriptive passages about life as a soldier. How does he use descriptions of the five senses to make the reader feel s/he is there? Do you find his descriptions compelling? Seemingly accurate? How would Counterattack be different if Griffin did not include such descriptive passages?
2. Analyze Griffin's descriptive passages about the social structure of the times and discuss what you think it would be like to be a person of wealth and/or privilege such as Pickering, or Fowler. Contrast that to the lives of those who are in a lower social strata such as Koffler or Howard to one in service to someone of wealth and/or privilege.
3. Describe and analyze Griffin's descriptive passages about the topographical setting and the physical descriptions of the people. Does Griffin do an adequate job of actually making the reader "see" the land or sea where the action is taking place? How about getting a visual image of the characters? How does the descriptions of the setting add to the novel? Do you like having an idea of how a character looks? How would the novel be different without such descriptions?
Essay Topic 3
The military way of life is in and of itself similar to a distinct culture. Understanding how the military is organized, how it operates, and its basic rules of conduct will make any novel that centers on the military more understandable and enjoyable. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe and analyze the military structure during the time of Counterattack. What is rank? What is the difference between officers and enlisted men? How serious is it to disobey an order? What happens if one decides he does not like being in the military and walks away? How are men drafted?
2. Compare the infantry of Counterattack to that in modern times in for the United States. What are the similarities? The differences? Are the changes from those times improvements? Why or why not? (This question will require some research).
3. Discuss why you think the military has the following: uniforms, a rank structure of Officers and Enlisted, strict discipline, training for new recruits, court martial, and different types of companies (i.e., rifle, Cavalry, artillery, etc). Discuss why you think men (and nowadays women) choose to become professional soldiers.
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)