|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what kind of mission is Macklin asked to recruit volunteers?
2. Why couldn't Banning tell his eight volunteers about their mission until they were in Australia?
3. How many are in the Japanese group Reeves and his group kill?
4. How many volunteers did Macklin get?
5. What ability of Koffler's does the group tell Banning about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the jump with Koffler and Howard go?
2. Why is Koffler being dropped behind enemy lines?
3. What does intelligence intercept reveal about the Japanese plans for the Pacific?
4. How does Howard become a member of Banning's group?
5. Who does McInerney see with Galloway at the Willard Hotel?
6. What does McInerney want Galloway to do and how does Holcomb respond to that idea?
7. What about the military does MacArthur and Pickering discuss when they first meet?
8. What does Pickering tell Knox about Koffler's mission?
9. Where does Pickering see his son and what do they talk about?
10. Who does Barbara see when she goes into Pickering's sitting room? What does Pickering suggest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though Koffler decided he didn't want to be in parachute school and did not volunteer for a dangerous mission, he ended up parachuting behind enemy lines to take a radio to Reeves. This is courage, doing something in spite of fear.
1. What is courage? It is defined in the dictionary as: mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty. How is courage demonstrated? Given what you have seen of Koffler, why would one call him courageous? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss two situations, one during war and one during peace, in which a great deal of courage would be needed to endure the situations.
3. Discuss the two sides to the following: Courage can be learned. One is either born with courage or not.
Essay Topic 2
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Koffler is no exception. His determination and survival powers might contrast to his feelings of inferiority about his family background. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze situations when Koffler demonstrates his determination. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Koffler's character flaws offering specific examples of these flaws in your discussion.
3. Discuss how you think Koffer's admirable traits helped him obtain rapid promotions in the military. Have his flaws impacted his career at all? Do any of those who work with him seem to notice these flaws? Who? How does the reader know this?
Essay Topic 3
Although wealthy and not young enough for the draft, Fleming Pickering devotes his time and money to the war effort. He, and many other characters in this book, was very patriotic. Discuss one of the following:
1. What does patriotism mean to me? Use examples from Counterattack to support your answer.
2. Class discussion. What is patriotism? What are the advantages of a country whose citizens feel highly patriotic? What are the disadvantages? What happens when patriots become zealots? Should patriotism be expected of its citizens by any country? Why or why not?
3. How do the characters in Counterattack demonstrate their patriotism? Use examples from Counterattack to support your answer.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)