|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom of the Australian Navy does Banning meet?
2. What did Hammersmith tell Koffler about him not volunteering?
3. What group in Australia want Banning's group to work with them?
4. Who is the last man Banning meets in his group?
5. Where is Banning staying in Australia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pickering tell Knox about Koffler's mission?
2. What about the military does MacArthur and Pickering discuss when they first meet?
3. What is in the letter Pickering sends to Knox in which he also has a request about Banning?
4. What does Stecker tell Banning when they meet about Banning's organization?
5. Why is Koffler being dropped behind enemy lines?
6. What happens when Macklin asks for volunteers for a dangerous mission?
7. What does Pickering send to Knox from Melbourne and what is his situation with MacArthur?
8. Where is Barbara Cotter stationed in Melbourne and why is she at Pickering's house?
9. What does Jane Marwood tell Barbara her new orders are and how much does she know about them?
10. To what is Ellen promoted and what happens when Pickering comes to her hotel room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Counterattack.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Counterattack. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Counterattack. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Most people and regular soldiers detest spies and the idea of spying. Spies are not considered in the same vein as soldiers in uniform and are not protected by the customs and regulations that govern the treatment of soldiers who are in uniform when captured. It was carefully pointed out that what Pickering was doing would not be considered spying, yet that is essentially what his organization is doing. Discuss one of the following:
1. Why do you think spies are not accorded any rights under many countries' laws and/or customs?
2. Even though all countries abhor spies, often even their own, they still spy, and men and women are still willing to be spies. Discuss why you think this is so.
3. Research and analyze the history of spying in either America.
4. Does Pickering seem the image of a typical spy as you visualize one? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Pickering is looking for his place in the war effort and is having a hard time finding it. He refuses the job offer from Donovan because it is only an adviser position, which he feels is too low, but tells McInerney that he is willing to do anything, even at a low rank, in the Marines. Pickering doesn't know what it is that he wants to do, which is why he is having such a hard time. The one thing he knows he doesn't want to do is to sell his remaining ships to the Navy, even though they want them.
1. With research, discuss the steps one can use to make a decision and how these steps might benefit Pickering.
2. Do you think Pickering actually wants a job helping the war effort, or do you think he just thinks he should want one? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Discuss why or why not you believe Pickering refusing to sell his ships to the navy makes him a bad American. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)