|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Howard and Barbara Cotter decide to do when they meet near the store?
2. What is the name of the hotel chain Pickering's father owns?
3. What is Joe told when he asks for the check for dinner?
4. What does Koffler do when he gets home?
5. At what rank will Pickering work for Knox?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jack Dillon in Hollywood?
2. When does Neville board the plane and what happens to him?
3. What does Fleming tell Fowler about meeting Donovan, what does Fowler say about Donovan, and how does Fleming feel about Donovan?
4. Where does Pickering meet with the President and Knox and why are they meeting?
5. What happens when Koffler returns home to see Dianne?
6. What do Knox and Pickering talk about after Pickering answers Knox's initial inquiry?
7. From where did the attack on Pearl Harbor come, when did it occur and what was the result of the attack?
8. What does Macklin threaten about Koffler and how does Dillon handle it? What happens to the Marine Corps' reputation over the Lakehurst incident?
9. What happens when Galloway, Ward and Schneider are headed to Lakehurst?
10. What did Stecker recommend for Joe Howard, why and in what position will Howard work for Stecker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pickering has an affair with Ellen in spite of being married.
1. In most circles, Pickering 's involvement with Ellen would be called adultery. Do you think the life and death situation of war makes adultery more likely? Why or why not? Use examples from your own knowledge and or the book to illustrate your answer.
2. Pickering is an officer and a "gentleman" who has just received promotion to major. Discuss how the act of adultery fits with the idea of an officer and a "gentleman".
3. Pickering is an intelligence officer and as such would most likely have a top secret security clearance. In the modern army, personnel who commit adultery will often lose their clearance. Why do you think this is so? Do you think someone's morals should affect whether they have a security clearance? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Though this novel is probably more action driven rather than character driven, obviously there are several characters who make the novel what it is. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Koffler and Howard. Include their goals, sense of honor, abilities, and social skills.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Stecker and Pickering.
3. Thoroughly analyze the character of Knox discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Joe Howard is what they call a mustang, an enlisted man who came up to be an officer. Often there is tension between an enlisted man who becomes and officer and a college graduate who starts as an officer.
1. How do you think a mustang might handle command differently than a regular officer? Use examples from Counterattack to illustrate your answer.
2. Other officers resenting those who did not go to college is not uncommon in other institutions. There are many situations in which a person is qualified to do a job without formal education and those with formal education might resent that person. Discuss what you believe are the interpersonal and personality dynamics of this type of situation. Use examples to support your answer.
3. Throughout history, as long as there has been rank in the military or classes in the social sphere, treatment of people have been unequal. Officers have always had better quarters and food. Kings sleep in better homes than carpenters. Do you think inequality of people is good or bad? Could it motivate those in the lower hierarchies to work harder or just make them resentful? Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of unequal status among humans.
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)