|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Koffler feel about parachuting?
2. What did Stecker recommend to Harris for Howard?
3. What does Dillon tell Galloway and Koffler about Neville's funeral?
4. To where does Galloway fly?
5. Who does Barbara see when she is dancing with Joe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Galloway and the others do at Ward's house?
2. What was Charley determined to do during his first few years in service?
3. What does Fleming tell Fowler about meeting Donovan, what does Fowler say about Donovan, and how does Fleming feel about Donovan?
4. What does Charley do when he puts together and aircraft, and what is the end result?
5. Who is Franklin Neville and on what subject is he an expert? What has he written on the subject?
6. From where did the attack on Pearl Harbor come, when did it occur and what was the result of the attack?
7. What is Steve Koffler doing in Lakehurst, how does he feel about it, and why is he doing it?
8. Where does Pickering meet with the President and Knox and why are they meeting?
9. Where has Galloway been sent after flying the plane without permission and what do the Marines plan to do about him?
10. Why is Neville going to Lakehurst and what happens when he first arrives? What does he tell the pilot of the plane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pickering has an affair with Ellen in spite of being married.
1. In most circles, Pickering 's involvement with Ellen would be called adultery. Do you think the life and death situation of war makes adultery more likely? Why or why not? Use examples from your own knowledge and or the book to illustrate your answer.
2. Pickering is an officer and a "gentleman" who has just received promotion to major. Discuss how the act of adultery fits with the idea of an officer and a "gentleman".
3. Pickering is an intelligence officer and as such would most likely have a top secret security clearance. In the modern army, personnel who commit adultery will often lose their clearance. Why do you think this is so? Do you think someone's morals should affect whether they have a security clearance? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Counterattack is one book in a series of novels involving McCoy and the other characters. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
3. Do you prefer to read a stand-alone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
The military way of life is in and of itself similar to a distinct culture. Understanding how the military is organized, how it operates, and its basic rules of conduct will make any novel that centers on the military more understandable and enjoyable. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe and analyze the military structure during the time of Counterattack. What is rank? What is the difference between officers and enlisted men? How serious is it to disobey an order? What happens if one decides he does not like being in the military and walks away? How are men drafted?
2. Compare the infantry of Counterattack to that in modern times in for the United States. What are the similarities? The differences? Are the changes from those times improvements? Why or why not? (This question will require some research).
3. Discuss why you think the military has the following: uniforms, a rank structure of Officers and Enlisted, strict discipline, training for new recruits, court martial, and different types of companies (i.e., rifle, Cavalry, artillery, etc). Discuss why you think men (and nowadays women) choose to become professional soldiers.
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)