|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dillon tell Galloway and Koffler about Neville's funeral?
2. What is the name of the hotel chain Pickering's father owns?
3. Who picks Galloway and the men with him up at the base in Willow Grove?
4. How did Pickering know the man in question #15?
5. Whose permission did Charley obtain to fly the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Neville going to Lakehurst and what happens when he first arrives? What does he tell the pilot of the plane?
2. Why is Stephen Koffler at Lakehurst and what does the Navy keep there?
3. What do Galloway and the others do at Ward's house?
4. Where does Knox want Pickering to meet him and what happens when Pickering refuses? What does Knox ask Pickering about his statement in Washington?
5. Where does Ellen Feller work and in what capacity?
6. What happens with Howard and Barbara when they go for dinner?
7. What happens when Galloway, Ward and Schneider are headed to Lakehurst?
8. What does Macklin threaten about Koffler and how does Dillon handle it? What happens to the Marine Corps' reputation over the Lakehurst incident?
9. When does Neville board the plane and what happens to him?
10. What does Fleming tell Fowler about meeting Donovan, what does Fowler say about Donovan, and how does Fleming feel about Donovan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most of the entire series of novels concerning the Corps takes place during the second world war; therefore, understanding the political and social situation during that time helps to a greater understanding and appreciation of this book and others in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the second world war begins and ends.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the battles that take place on land between America and the Japanese in World War II.
3. Compare/contrast the importance of the British infantry during the second world war to the importance of the American infantry during WWI.
4. Write an expository essay on how World War II affects the social culture of one of the following countries: Britain, France, America, or Germany.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze one major theme of Counterattack. Consider the following: How does one character's actions portray the theme you are analyzing? How does the setting contribute to that theme? Is the theme one that you would call a "universal theme?" If so, what other book or novel that you have read also includes this theme? If not, why don't you think it is a "universal" theme?
2. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Counterattack. How does one character's actions portray the themes you are analyzing? How does the setting contribute to those themes? Is each theme one that you would call a "universal theme?" If so, what other book or novel that you have read also includes this theme? If not, why don't you think it is a "universal" theme?
3. What benefit is there in discussing and analyzing the themes of a work of fiction? Do you think most authors consciously develop themes in their works? Why or why not? Can there be accidental themes? What do you think is one possible "accidental" theme in Counterattack? Which theme in Counterattack speaks to you the most in your life? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Counterattack is one book in a series of novels involving McCoy and the other characters. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
3. Do you prefer to read a stand-alone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)