|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Steve Koffler invite to his apartment?
2. Who does Pickering meet with in Washington D.C.?
3. At what rank will Pickering work for Knox?
4. What does Pickering tell Knox he will do for the navy?
5. How does Koffler get into his home when he goes on leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Pickering meet with the President and Knox and why are they meeting?
2. Who is Franklin Neville and on what subject is he an expert? What has he written on the subject?
3. Where does Ellen Feller work and in what capacity?
4. Where does Howard report for his physical, what happens immediately and why?
5. What does Macklin threaten about Koffler and how does Dillon handle it? What happens to the Marine Corps' reputation over the Lakehurst incident?
6. What happens when Koffler returns home to see Dianne?
7. Why is Jack Dillon in Hollywood?
8. What does Charley do when he puts together and aircraft, and what is the end result?
9. What do Knox and Pickering talk about after Pickering answers Knox's initial inquiry?
10. From where did the attack on Pearl Harbor come, when did it occur and what was the result of the attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although wealthy and not young enough for the draft, Fleming Pickering devotes his time and money to the war effort. He, and many other characters in this book, was very patriotic. Discuss one of the following:
1. What does patriotism mean to me? Use examples from Counterattack to support your answer.
2. Class discussion. What is patriotism? What are the advantages of a country whose citizens feel highly patriotic? What are the disadvantages? What happens when patriots become zealots? Should patriotism be expected of its citizens by any country? Why or why not?
3. How do the characters in Counterattack demonstrate their patriotism? Use examples from Counterattack to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Counterattack is one book in a series of novels involving McCoy and the other characters. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
3. Do you prefer to read a stand-alone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Pickering is looking for his place in the war effort and is having a hard time finding it. He refuses the job offer from Donovan because it is only an adviser position, which he feels is too low, but tells McInerney that he is willing to do anything, even at a low rank, in the Marines. Pickering doesn't know what it is that he wants to do, which is why he is having such a hard time. The one thing he knows he doesn't want to do is to sell his remaining ships to the Navy, even though they want them.
1. With research, discuss the steps one can use to make a decision and how these steps might benefit Pickering.
2. Do you think Pickering actually wants a job helping the war effort, or do you think he just thinks he should want one? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Discuss why or why not you believe Pickering refusing to sell his ships to the navy makes him a bad American. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)