|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Count apologize to near the end of the book?
2. Who did Villefort have an affair with?
3. What kind of abode to Mercédès and Albert live in after they leave Fernand?
4. Who does the Count bribe to get a false newspaper article printed?
5. What does the Count disguise himself as when he rents the house next to Noirtier?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Villeforts' leave the ball at the Morcef's early?
2. How does Maximillian feel when he wakes up after taking the potion? Why?
3. How does Haydee go from being a princess to a servant?
4. What is Bertruccio so surprised about when the Count holds a dinner party at his house?
5. How does Haydee secure the denouncement of Fernand?
6. How is Cavalcanti finally turned into the police?
7. What does the Count do just before Caderousse dies?
8. What has Noirtier been giving Valentine every day? Why?
9. How does Danglars react to the money his wife lost in the stock market?
10. What does the Count do before letting Danglars go free?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes? How does this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 2
Dantès is able to forgive some of the men who did him wrong, but not all of them. Who was he not able to forgive? How does this inability to forgive affect his life and theirs?
Essay Topic 3
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embodied this theme? How does that pursuit affect the characters involved?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)