|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Count bribe to get a false newspaper article printed?
2. What does the pill the Count gives Valentine cause her to do?
3. Where does Danglars think Count Morcef was involved in a scandal?
4. Why does Haydée refuse to leave the Count?
5. What does Villefort say when he sees Maximillian in Valentine's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Villefort find when he returns to his home after Benedetto's trial?
2. What has Noirtier been giving Valentine every day? Why?
3. What is Bertruccio so surprised about when the Count holds a dinner party at his house?
4. What shocking information comes forth at Benedetto's trial?
5. How does the Count convince Maximillian not to kill himself?
6. Why does the Count not eat while he is at the ball at the Morcef's house?
7. How does Noirtier feel after a priest is summoned to pray over the body of Valentine?
8. What does Danglars say when Albert confronts him about denouncing his father?
9. How does Fernand find out about the Count's identity, and how does he respond?
10. How does Haydee go from being a princess to a servant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in this book were manipulated and persuaded to do things they did not want to do. What were some of these instances? How were those characters affected by the manipulation?
Essay Topic 2
Education and knowledge are two very important themes in this book. How does education affect Dantès's life for both good and bad?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Dumas. What are some of these symbols? How does their presence affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)