|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Fernand Morcef accused of murdering?
2. What does Eugenie tell her father she refuses to do?
3. Where is the Count when Albert challenges him to a duel?
4. Who calls off the duel between the Count and Albert?
5. Who does Benedetto think is his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Villeforts' leave the ball at the Morcef's early?
2. What does Danglars say when Albert confronts him about denouncing his father?
3. How does Fernand find out about the Count's identity, and how does he respond?
4. What has Noirtier been giving Valentine every day? Why?
5. What does the Count do just before Caderousse dies?
6. What does the Count do before letting Danglars go free?
7. What does Villefort find when he returns to his home after Benedetto's trial?
8. How does Danglars react to the money his wife lost in the stock market?
9. How does Maximillian feel when he wakes up after taking the potion? Why?
10. How does Maximillian get Valentine to agree to run away with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jealousy is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which of these characters are most motivated by jealousy? How does jealousy affect their actions and lives?
Essay Topic 2
Compassion and empathy is a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme? How does the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 3
Dantès is able to forgive some of the men who did him wrong, but not all of them. Who was he not able to forgive? How does this inability to forgive affect his life and theirs?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)