|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Benedetto think is his father?
2. What kind of living quarters does Noirtier promise to secure for him and Valentine?
3. Who is Fernand Morcef accused of murdering?
4. What is Beauchamp's occupation?
5. Who else had drunk from the drink that killed Barrois?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Count convince Maximillian not to kill himself?
2. How does Maximillian feel when he wakes up after taking the potion? Why?
3. How does Haydee go from being a princess to a servant?
4. How does Maximillian get Valentine to agree to run away with him?
5. How does Valentine learn who has been poisoning her family members?
6. How does Caderousse say he escaped from prison?
7. How does Noirtier feel after a priest is summoned to pray over the body of Valentine?
8. How does Danglars react to the money his wife lost in the stock market?
9. How is Cavalcanti finally turned into the police?
10. What does the Count do just before Caderousse dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embodied this theme? How does that pursuit affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Dumas includes some ingenious forms of irony in this book. What are some of these examples? How does their ironic nature affect the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Education and knowledge are two very important themes in this book. How does education affect Dantès's life for both good and bad?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)