|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Count teach Madame Villefort about poison?
2. Why does Villefort decide to forgive Dantès when he first hears his case?
3. Who tells the King that Napoleon is in France?
4. What is the name of Morrell's last surviving ship?
5. What was the name of the Captain who gave Dantès the letter in question?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of potion does Madame Villefort request from the Count? What warning does he give her about it?
2. What does Villefort ask his father-in-law for after Dantès is arrested?
3. Why does the Count want Madame Villefort to see the chemicals in his house?
4. What does Dantès do first when he gets to port? What is he so surprised about?
5. What does Dantès threaten to do to his guards? What is their response?
6. What does Maximillian Morrell ask the Count of Monte Cristo for information about?
7. How does Dantès get alone on the island with the treasure? What does he do while he is alone?
8. What does the Count hire two men on the street to do for him?
9. Why does Dantès decide to kill himself, and how does he intend to do this?
10. How does Dantès get transportation to the nearest port after his escape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters? How do their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was an emotion that affected a number of the characters in this book. Which characters were most affected by despair? How does this change the course of the plot branches they were involved in?
Essay Topic 3
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Maximillian and Valentine. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)