|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Albert wander away from Franz during the carnival?
2. What does the Count tell Haydée not to mention to anyone?
3. How did Fernand become a Count?
4. Who is at Villefort's house after Dantès is arrested?
5. Who owns the finest horses in Paris before the Count buys them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bertruccio see Villefort doing when he followed him one night?
2. What does Dantès do when he visits Morrell's creditors?
3. How does Dantès escape the prison?
4. How is Albert kidnapped by Luigi Vampa and his bandits?
5. Why does the Count want Madame Villefort to see the chemicals in his house?
6. How does Dantès get the treasure off the island?
7. What does Franz do when he cannot raise the funds for Albert's ransom?
8. How does Julie get the money needed for her father's debts?
9. What is Villefort doing when first called to meet Dantès?
10. How does Dantès get alone on the island with the treasure? What does he do while he is alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Maximillian and Valentine. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Dumas. What are some of these symbols? How does their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
How does Faria's religious fervor affect Dantès in his future life outside of the prison?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)