|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the Captain who gave Dantès the letter in question?
2. How does Dantès move large rocks to get to the treasure?
3. Who does Villefort ask his father-in-law to help him meet?
4. What did Danglars become after Dantès was thrown in prison?
5. What is Edmond so shocked about when he is shaved for the first time after escaping?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dantès get alone on the island with the treasure? What does he do while he is alone?
2. How does Dantès escape the prison?
3. What does the Italian Priest give Caderousse? Why?
4. What does Caderousse say happened to Villefort after Dantès was imprisoned?
5. What does Caderousse give the Italian Priest before he leaves?
6. What kind of plans do Faria and Dantès work out together in prison?
7. How is Albert kidnapped by Luigi Vampa and his bandits?
8. What kind of potion does Madame Villefort request from the Count? What warning does he give her about it?
9. How does Mercédès react to meeting the Count of Monte Cristo?
10. Why does Valentine say Madame Villefort is jealous of her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of different settings in this book. Describe some of these settings. Why might Dumas have chosen these settings for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Dantès is an incredibly patient man. What are some examples of this trait of his? How does this affect his life and his choices?
Essay Topic 3
Dantès is able to forgive some of the men who did him wrong, but not all of them. Who was he not able to forgive? How does this inability to forgive affect his life and theirs?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)