|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fernand accuse Dantès of being?
2. Who tells Dantès about who turned him in to prison?
3. Who killed the man who owned the treasure that Faria has a map to?
4. What is the name of Morrell's last surviving ship?
5. What kind of boat does Dantès buy to retrieve the treasure?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dantès make an unscheduled stop? What does he do there?
2. What does Bertruccio see Villefort doing when he followed him one night?
3. What does the Italian Priest give Caderousse? Why?
4. What do Fernand and Danglars do to Dantès as revenge?
5. How does Edmond's father die? What happens after this?
6. What kind of plans do Faria and Dantès work out together in prison?
7. How does Dantès get alone on the island with the treasure? What does he do while he is alone?
8. Why does Dantès ask his boss for leave time?
9. What does Franz do when he cannot raise the funds for Albert's ransom?
10. Why does Dantès decide to kill himself, and how does he intend to do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Faria's religious fervor affect Dantès in his future life outside of the prison?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of different settings in this book. Describe some of these settings. Why might Dumas have chosen these settings for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was an emotion that affected a number of the characters in this book. Which characters were most affected by despair? How does this change the course of the plot branches they were involved in?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)