|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caderousse do when he starts to feel uneasy?
2. How does Dantès get to the island with the treasure?
3. What happens when the Baron Franz d'Epinay tries to find the grotto with the treasure?
4. To what political party does Villefort say he belongs?
5. How does Dantès get a few days alone on the island with the treasure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of plans do Faria and Dantès work out together in prison?
2. What is Villefort doing when first called to meet Dantès?
3. Why does Villefort change his mind about being merciful to Dantès?
4. Why does Valentine say Madame Villefort is jealous of her?
5. What does Bertruccio see Villefort doing when he followed him one night?
6. Why does Dantès ask his boss for leave time?
7. How does Dantès get the treasure off the island?
8. What happens to Villefort when Napoleon comes in and out of power?
9. How does Dantès escape the prison?
10. What does Caderousse say happened to Villefort after Dantès was imprisoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this? What are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
Essay Topic 2
Dantès is able to forgive some of the men who did him wrong, but not all of them. Who was he not able to forgive? How does this inability to forgive affect his life and theirs?
Essay Topic 3
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embodied this theme? How does that pursuit affect the characters involved?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)