|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Villefort when he first appears in this book?
(a) A job interview.
(b) An important court marshal.
(c) His betrothal feast.
(d) A grand party.
2. What was Villefort doing when the Count's servant stabbed him?
(a) Waiting for a shipment.
(b) Courting a woman who was not his wife.
(c) Burying a baby.
(d) Delivering a message.
3. Who once owned the home that the Count buys?
(a) The Marquis of Saint Méran.
(b) The Comrade de'Ipson.
(c) Baron De Espiray.
(d) Count Noutielle.
4. Where is the strange man who visits Morrell's investors from?
5. What is the name of Villefort's wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Count teach Madame Villefort about poison?
2. How does Dantès escape from the prison?
3. What kind of passport does Dantès receive after getting his treasure?
4. Who does Villefort ask his father-in-law to help him meet?
5. Where does Fernand see Dantès walking at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dantès decide to kill himself, and how does he intend to do this?
2. What does Dantès threaten to do to his guards? What is their response?
3. What does Maximillian Morrell ask the Count of Monte Cristo for information about?
4. How does Dantès escape the prison?
5. How does Peppino escape execution? Why has this been done?
6. Why does Valentine say Madame Villefort is jealous of her?
7. What is the source of the strange scraping sound Dantès hears after he decides to kill himself?
8. What does Villefort ask his father-in-law for after Dantès is arrested?
9. Why does Mercédès refuse Fernand's proposal?
10. How does Mercédès react to meeting the Count of Monte Cristo?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)