Chapter 1, Marseilles - The Arrival, Chapter 2, Father and Son, Chapter 3, The Catalans, Chapter 4, Conspiracy, and Chapter 5, The Marriage Feast
• Dantès returns from a voyage on the Pharaon where the captain died. He stopped at Elba to deliver a letter from the Captain to Napoleon.
• Danglars is the purser, and gets very jealous when Dantès is promoted to captain, and he is not.
• Dantès asks for some leave time so that he can marry Mercédès, his beautiful fiancé.
• Dantès learns that his father has not been eating because he used his money to pay some of Dantès's debts.
• Fernand proposes to Mercédès, who refuses, because she is in love with Dantès.
• Fernand and Danglars are both so jealous that they plot to ruin Dantès by falsely accusing him of being a Bonapartist. Caderousse tries to stop them.
This section contains 3,367 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)