|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What board game was Brenda playing with her sisters when she discovered her mother's secret?
2. In what U.S. state was Bonnie raised?
3. Why did Diane turn into a problem child at school?
4. In prison, Brenda had a level five orange card which meant that she _______________________.
5. What did Diane's father steal from the family he had abandoned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Shirley Shambly in Michelle Jessamy's story and why did Shirley's daughter, Mo'Shay resent her mother?
2. To what did Barbara compare puzzle pieces in her life?
3. Who were Barbara Parsons Lane's first visitors while in prison, and what did she consider to be the worst part of her incarceration?
4. What did Mo'Shay's mother decide about raising Mo'Shay's baby and how does Mo'Shay get the love she has needed for so long from her mother?
5. What was the Christmas basket program in prison?
6. What did Robin note about the less than spiritual activities going on during mass?
7. What is the significance of the chapter, "Dancing in Leg Chains"?
8. What did Brenda's mother do to her one night from which her father had to save Brenda and what did her father pray for each night?
9. How did Robin Cullen begin her story, "Christmas in Prison" with a religious focus regarding the pope?
10. How did Barbara say that prison changed her--for both good and bad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The authors use more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters in the stories who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the impact of intolerance or injustice that some of the women of color experienced. What did it mean to be poor and not white in 20th century America? What stigmas did these women of color live with for their entire lives? Was there anything that could have leveled the racial discrimination playing field? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Some of the women masterfully wove dramatic devices into their stories. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)