|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Robin ended her story by saying that ________________ could not get into the prison.
2. Which of the following does NOT describe how Barbara feels about herself?
3. What did Diane want to do when she saw her father's dead body?
4. Why did Bonnie refuse to wear pants in prison?
5. What was Robin unable to afford while in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. How difficult was it for Bonnie to stay true to her religious practices while in prison?
2. When did Brenda Medina realize what her mother's terrible secret was?
3. What did Brenda's mother do to her one night from which her father had to save Brenda and what did her father pray for each night?
4. What did Robin note about the less than spiritual activities going on during mass?
5. How did Diane's father betray her trust with violence while on a trip to Chattanooga?
6. What was the Christmas basket program in prison?
7. What did Mo'Shay's mother decide about raising Mo'Shay's baby and how does Mo'Shay get the love she has needed for so long from her mother?
8. How did Barbara say that prison changed her--for both good and bad?
9. How did Robin Cullen begin her story, "Christmas in Prison" with a religious focus regarding the pope?
10. What was the one constant that Robin noted occurred on each of the three Christmases she spent in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three characters from different stories, and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, incarceration, etc.
Essay Topic 2
The women in the book were no strangers to hurt and pain. From what you know of the women's lives through this book, what were some of the biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did they manage through them? How did their coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of their lives? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several women in the stories. Name at least two women who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)