|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tabatha's mother beat her ______________________.
2. Where did Nancy's parents send her after they bailed her out after her arrest in October of 1989?
3. At what age was Tabatha originally raped?
4. What brand was the clothing in #40?
5. What had Nancy's abuser told her would happen if she told anyone what he did to her and her friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two chapters in Carolyn Ann Adams' story, "Thefts" and what does she cover in each?
2. Describe some of Carolyn's experiences during a very troubled childhood.
3. How did Nancy begin her story with a memory of her father and his airplane?
4. How did Nancy describe Isadore's life?
5. What changes did Wally see in the women as they wrote their stories?
6. Nancy Whiteley also wrote the story, "Orbiting Izzy". What was the premise of this story?
7. What were the circumstances of Nancy's arrest and where did she go after her parents bailed her out?
8. How did Nancy view "The Wizard of Oz" once she worked through some psychological issues?
9. Who was Isadore Weintraub, and what role did he play in Nancy's life?
10. How did Nancy's family disintegrate and how did Nancy manage being alone with her abusive mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loss seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of loss for the women? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the women's lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
What impact did some of the women's estranged relationships with their mothers have on their lives? What emotional wounds did these women suffer? How did the rejection or abuse by their mothers impact the women's relationships with other people? Did the women feel like she deserved to be abused because they were unworthy? Explain.
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)