|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject did Wally teach in his first teaching job?
2. Tabatha's grandmother drank to ______________________.
3. Which of the following did NOT describe Nancy's mother?
4. For how long had Carolyn perpetuated her crime?
5. What was the name of the institution where Wally went to teach writing in 1999?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Carolyn's crime?
2. What were the circumstances of Nancy's arrest and where did she go after her parents bailed her out?
3. Why did Carolyn think that she was so out of place in the holding cell, and how long did it take before she was convicted?
4. How did Tabatha's hair mirror what she was going through in different phases of her life and how did she wear her hair after five years in prison?
5. Describe how Nancy and Isadore were complete opposites.
6. What did Nancy feel she had to do to keep her boyfriend?
7. How did Tabatha describe the attic where her family and friends did drugs?
8. Nancy Whiteley also wrote the story, "Orbiting Izzy". What was the premise of this story?
9. Which animals from a classic movie haunted Nancy Birkla's childhood?
10. How had Wally become a well-known author in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several women in the stories. Name at least two women who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
A few of the women are very forthcoming about their premarital sexual relations and some abortions. Why did those women make those decisions that they did? What would the women advise young women today regarding such important life decisions? Would the women make the same choices today if they had to do it all over again? Explain.
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)