|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Carolyn wearing when she was initially arrested?
2. What did Nancy think hid in her family's suitcases?
3. Who was Marge Cohen?
4. How long had Nancy been out of prison when this story began?
5. What had Nancy's abuser told her would happen if she told anyone what he did to her and her friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Nancy Whiteley also wrote the story, "Orbiting Izzy". What was the premise of this story?
2. How did Nancy's family disintegrate and how did Nancy manage being alone with her abusive mother?
3. What were some of the inconsistencies in Tabatha Rowley's life as she was growing up?
4. What was Wally's reasoning for not being able to refuse Marge Cohen's call to come to York Correctional Institution?
5. What were the circumstances of Nancy's arrest and where did she go after her parents bailed her out?
6. What did Nancy feel she had to do to keep her boyfriend?
7. Who was Aldo and what influence did he have on Nancy's life?
8. How did Nancy view "The Wizard of Oz" once she worked through some psychological issues?
9. What trauma did Tabatha endure from the age of four and how did she get introduced to pot and alcohol?
10. What did Carolyn focus on outside while waiting to be processed into the Department of Corrections?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain your opinion of the women's writing styles. Did they deliver information succinctly? How did they develop the personalities? What was the general tone of the stories? What was the most appealing aspect of the women's writing for you? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The women in the book were no strangers to hurt and pain. From what you know of the women's lives through this book, what were some of the biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did they manage through them? How did their coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of their lives? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several women in the stories. Name at least two women who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)