|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Qfwfq do when a New One first calls to him?
(a) He stands perfectly still and hides.
(b) He pretends to be dead.
(c) He attacks the New One.
(d) He runs away.
2. After the narrator speculates that Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore might have met at some time in the past, what does he deduce from this speculation?
(a) That Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore will circle around and meet again.
(b) That Ursula H'x developed a love for Lieutenant Fenimore.
(c) That Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore are moving away from each other.
(d) That Ursula H'x developed a dislike for Lieutenant Fenimore.
3. Why does Qfwfq bet that there will be atoms?
(a) He reads a sign from a previous universe and interprets that it means there will be atoms soon.
(b) He gets a strange feeling like the weather is changing and intuits that atoms are coming.
(c) He sees one atom and realizes that more will probably follow soon.
(d) He makes mathematical calculations and predicts the atoms are coming.
4. What begins to happen to Qfwfq and Dean (k)yK's bets after humanity appears on the scene?
(a) Qfwfq begins to win every bet, without exception.
(b) Dean (k)yK stops betting.
(c) Dean (k)yK begins to win more bets.
(d) Dean (k)yK begins to win every bet, without exception.
5. For how long does Qfwfq say he was a dinosaur?
(a) About thirty million years.
(b) About a hundred million years.
(c) About eighty million years.
(d) About fifty million years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does N'ba N'ga say his relatives get from living on land?
2. What does Lll do after N'ba N'ga says that he could teach her to live in the water?
3. Who does the mollusk expect to develop sight but doesn't?
4. What is N'ba N'ga's relationship to Qfwfq?
5. In the world millions of years later, where does the narrator see the image of the first female mollusk he interacts with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the initial wealth that Qfwfq builds up?
2. What is the attitude of the New Ones to the Dinosaurs, when Qfwfq first encounters the New Ones after his period of isolation?
3. Which bets does Qfwfq find most satisfying?
4. How does Zahn first react to Qfwfq?
5. What does the narrator think the first sign he sees is referring to?
6. Describe N'ba N'ga's objections to living on land.
7. What gives Qfwfq an advantage over Dean (k)yK when they bet during the early evolution of the universe?
8. In what way, according to the narrator's description, does the existence of a shell bring about eyes and the ability to see?
9. Describe Lieutenant Fenimore.
10. What explanation does the narrator give for caring about the opinion of whoever wrote the sign he first sees?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)