|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sign does the narrator see, when he looks up in anticipation of a reaction to the second event, of which he is proud?
(b) I missed it.
(c) Not at home.
(d) Oh, well.
2. Why is Lll more agile than Qfwfq?
(a) She is younger than Qfwfq.
(b) She has a new kind of knee joint.
(c) She has run races all her life.
(d) She was born on land.
3. What variables does the narrator use to refer to the two moments in his life that he thinks others must be observing from far-away galaxies?
(a) The variables x and y.
(b) The variables e and c.
(c) The variables a and b.
(d) The variables pi and phi.
4. Why is the narrator certain Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore can't meet?
(a) They are all falling parallel to each other.
(b) Ursula H'x is completely contained in an inaccessible sphere.
(c) Lieutenant Fenimore and Ursula H'x are in separate dimensions.
(d) They cannot move as they fall.
5. Who gives Qfwfq and Dean (k)yK the libraries, magazines, and computers they need for their calculations?
(a) An International Conglomerate.
(b) A Research Foundation.
(c) A University Grant.
(d) A Government Agency.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the narrator speculates that Ursula H'x and Lieutenant Fenimore might have met at some time in the past, what does he deduce from this speculation?
2. When Ursula H'x begins swaying during her fall, what does Lieutenant Fenimore do?
3. What does Ursula H'x do as she falls?
4. What are the main things the narrator is aware of beyond himself?
5. Where does N'ba N'ga say is a good hunting ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. What explanation does the narrator give for caring about the opinion of whoever wrote the sign he first sees?
2. How does the narrator describe being with Ursula H'x when their routes intersect?
3. How does Lll react when she first meets N'ba N'ga?
4. In the end of the mollusk's story, in what way does he encounter the female mollusk?
5. How do the New Ones' perception of dinosaurs change over the time Qfwfq is with them?
6. Describe Lieutenant Fenimore.
7. When does the narrator suppose that he might finally meet Ursula, and what does he fear about that potential meeting?
8. Describe N'ba N'ga's objections to living on land.
9. How does Zahn first react to Qfwfq?
10. What happens to the initial wealth that Qfwfq builds up?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)