|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator anticipate with relief at the end of "The Light-Years"?
(a) A time when the galaxies all contract back together and he can communnicate more quickly.
(b) The results of a final judgment on him from one central galaxy.
(c) A way finally emerging that he can communicate more fully across space, to make his situation clear.
(d) All the galaxies moving so far away that he can't communicate with them or change their opinions.
2. For how long does Qfwfq say he was a dinosaur?
(a) About eighty million years.
(b) About a hundred million years.
(c) About thirty million years.
(d) About fifty million years.
3. What does Qfwfq think of N'ba N'ga's way of speaking?
(a) His interesting metaphors are enlightening.
(b) He speaks in riddles that are difficult to understand.
(c) His language is archaic.
(d) His singsong speech is annoying.
4. How does Lieutenant Fenimore react when the narrator indicates he's seen a universe?
(a) He is thrilled.
(b) He is irritated.
(c) He is horrified.
(d) He is contemptuous.
5. What is N'ba N'ga's relationship to Qfwfq?
(a) He is a great-grandfather.
(b) He is a grandfather.
(c) He is a great-uncle.
(d) He is an elder third cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far away is the galaxy where the narrator sees the sign?
2. What is the second sign the narrator sees, when he is looking for reactions to his magnanimous and generous actions?
3. What name do the New Ones give to Qfwfq?
4. What unplanned benefit does the shell give the narrator?
5. Where does N'ba N'ga live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Qfwfq describe Dean (k)yK, on a typical day in the present?
2. In what way, according to the narrator's description, does the existence of a shell bring about eyes and the ability to see?
3. When does the narrator suppose that he might finally meet Ursula, and what does he fear about that potential meeting?
4. How does Zahn first react to Qfwfq?
5. Describe the problems with the advice N'ba N'ga gives his family.
6. How do the New Ones' perception of dinosaurs change over the time Qfwfq is with them?
7. What causes the narrator's suspicions about the female he encounters?
8. How does the narrator describe being with Ursula H'x when their routes intersect?
9. In the end of the mollusk's story, in what way does he encounter the female mollusk?
10. How does Lll react when she first meets N'ba N'ga?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)