|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does the whole family visit N'ba N'ga to get his advice?
(a) Once a month.
(b) Once a decade.
(c) Once a year.
(d) Once a century.
2. What does the narrator describe the making of his shell as?
(a) Aggression, like punching outward.
(b) Self-expression, like an exclamation.
(c) Pleading, like reaching out his hands.
(d) Expansion, like taking new territory.
3. Where are the universes that the narrator sees as he falls?
(a) Very far away so he almost thinks they're illusions.
(b) All around, always near, but never crossing his path.
(c) Always above him as he falls away from them.
(d) So near he can almost touch them.
4. What sign does the narrator see, when he looks up in anticipation of a reaction to the second event, of which he is proud?
(b) Not at home.
(c) I missed it.
(d) Oh, well.
5. How does the narrator see the shape of space?
(a) As a jagged-edged zig-zag.
(b) As a complex shape of curves, indentations, and projections.
(c) As a long and smooth spiral.
(d) As a long curve that meets back with itself.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the narrator compare the paths of the characters' falls?
2. What is the first bet Qfwfq makes before the beginning of the universe?
3. Why is Lll more agile than Qfwfq?
4. How many people does the narrator expect will see the second event in his life, of which he is proud, compared to the first more shaming moment?
5. How does Qfwfq feel about N'ba N'ga?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lieutenant Fenimore.
2. Describe N'ba N'ga's objections to living on land.
3. How does Zahn first react to Qfwfq?
4. In what way, according to the narrator's description, does the existence of a shell bring about eyes and the ability to see?
5. In the end of the mollusk's story, in what way does he encounter the female mollusk?
6. How does the narrator see evolution as confining?
7. What does the narrator think the first sign he sees is referring to?
8. Describe the problems with the advice N'ba N'ga gives his family.
9. How does the narrator describe being with Ursula H'x when their routes intersect?
10. Which bets does Qfwfq find most satisfying?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)