|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What planet did both a West Virginia salesman and a Washington, D.C. law student independently claim had sent them a visitor?
2. Who taught that normal consciousness is self-created delusion?
3. What does Timothy Leary believe should replace the model of psychologist and patient?
4. What do most members of the Earth People under Dr. Paul Segall study?
5. Who does Idries Shah believe the Illuminati to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the seven factors Timothy Leary uses in comparing all human interaction to a game model?
2. What was Aleister Crowley's Book of the Law?
3. How does Wilson evaluate the California Medical Facility in Vacaville where Timothy Leary was imprisoned?
4. What caused Wilson to begin to suspect that Our Lady of Guadalupe, identified as the Virgin Mary, was the same person as Nuit, the Egyptian goddess of the stars?
5. What value does Timothy Leary teach LSD can achieve for mankind?
6. What faculty did Wilson develop while doing a Tarot card divination for his daughter Karuna?
7. How was the experience of Joseph Simonton typical or atypical of UFO contactees?
8. According to Wilson's interpretation of Sufi teaching, when is the moment you are closer to Illumination than at any other time?
9. What are the dog days?
10. What mistreatment of Dr. Wilhelm Reich left Wilson suspicious of the U.S. government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Timothy Leary's introduction, he characterizes this book as an epic or an odyssey. Detail how this book qualifies as a story of a quest, using examples from the text. In what sense is Wilson a voyager, an adventurer, or a hero?
Essay Topic 2
In describing the concept of a self-created reality, Nietzsche said, "We are all greater artists than we realize." What does this statement mean? Do you agree that one person's reality differs from another's, or is there such a thing as an objective reality that exists independently of you and me?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Wilson's statement, "Belief is the death of intelligence." Include quotations from the text, such as, "The more one believes, the less there is to think about." Do you agree or disagree that belief prevents thought? Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)