|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author come to believe is present in all things, living and non-living?
2. Why does Timothy Leary say the prison administration is like a Van Allen belt?
3. For what was Timothy Leary arrested and imprisoned, according to the author?
4. In the Babylonian myth, how did Ishtar have to enter Eternity?
5. What does the author regard as Aleister Crowley's major achievement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the rules for the Socratic approach in Discordianism?
2. What caused Wilson to begin to suspect that Our Lady of Guadalupe, identified as the Virgin Mary, was the same person as Nuit, the Egyptian goddess of the stars?
3. Does the philosopher Santayana believe that humans are better at seeing or believing?
4. Why does Wilson believe that immortality is an actual physical possibility for human beings?
5. What was Aleister Crowley's Book of the Law?
6. What does Timothy Leary believe is the purpose of the higher neurological circuits that are turned on by use of psychedelic drugs?
7. What three factors does Timothy Leary claim are essential to experimentation with psychedelic drugs?
8. What are the dog days?
9. What value does Timothy Leary teach LSD can achieve for mankind?
10. What does Wilson note may be the final secret of the Illuminati?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many religions describe an enlightened state, satori, or Nirvana. In your paper, describe how you think a person would feel and think who had achieved such a condition.
Essay Topic 2
In Timothy Leary's introduction, he characterizes this book as an epic or an odyssey. Detail how this book qualifies as a story of a quest, using examples from the text. In what sense is Wilson a voyager, an adventurer, or a hero?
Essay Topic 3
Select one of the experts quoted most often in this book: Timothy Leary, Aleister Crowley, Carlos Castaneda, Aldous Huxley, Neils Bohr, Marshal McLuhan, etc. Research that person's writing to write a further analysis of his contribution to paranormal research.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)