|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Wilson's 24 selves has veto power over all the others?
2. According to Aleister Crowley, what is the purpose of "physiological experiments" in Western occultism?
3. How many scientists does Saul Paul Sirag claim have received extraterrestrial communication?
4. Whose work does Timothy Leary tell the author he was hoping to complete?
5. What is the Socratic approach to Discordian evangelism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Wilson to begin to suspect that Our Lady of Guadalupe, identified as the Virgin Mary, was the same person as Nuit, the Egyptian goddess of the stars?
2. What faculty did Wilson develop while doing a Tarot card divination for his daughter Karuna?
3. Does the philosopher Santayana believe that humans are better at seeing or believing?
4. How does one achieve Discordian enlightenment?
5. What are the rules for the Socratic approach in Discordianism?
6. What is the difference of opinion between those who are friends of Timothy Leary and those who are his enemies?
7. What does Wilson note may be the final secret of the Illuminati?
8. What does Wilson consider to have been Aleister Crowley's major achievement?
9. What was Aleister Crowley's Book of the Law?
10. Why does Wilson believe that immortality is an actual physical possibility for human beings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wilson quotes the philosopher Santayana as saying we are much better at believing than we are at seeing. Explain this statement and support or refute it with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Wilson contends that the War on Drugs has led to more unregulated drug use and actually created hazardous situations rather than protecting people from dangerous drugs. Support or refute his argument with facts from the text and your own research.
Essay Topic 3
Timothy Leary was once designated "the most dangerous man in America." Do you agree with that designation? Support your thesis with examples from your own research about Leary's effect on U.S. society, as well as from the text.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)