|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mutt and Ursa go back to the Drake together, what does Ursa do?
2. What ingredient do Grandma and Mama send Ursa to the store to get when she is little?
3. What prompts Ursa's mother to follow Ursa's father to his apartment?
4. What does Jeffrene ask Ursa to do during the last time they talk to one another?
5. What is the necklace that Ursa wears while visiting her mother made from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jeffrene tell Ursa about Cat? What does she ask of Ursa?
2. Which two characters become intertwined in Ursa's memory? How does Ursa explain this?
3. What does Ursa's mother do to earn a living? How does Ursa feel about this?
4. Why does Ursa go to Bracktown to see her mother? What does she bring her?
5. What does Mutt ask Ursa when they reunite at Happy's? What is Ursa's response?
6. Whom does Ursa occasionally see in the street? How does Ursa become a free woman?
7. What year is it at the beginning of Chapter 4? How old is Ursa?
8. When does Ursa's mother see Ursa's father for the last time? How does he treat her?
9. Who comes in to warn Ursa that Mutt is back in town? What is Ursa's reaction to this bit of news?
10. When Ursa goes to visit Mary Alice in the hospital, what makes her uncomfortable? What makes her leave abruptly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Corregidora is a central figure in the novel and influences generations of women. Write an essay about Corregidora including his physical characteristics, treatment of his women, and impact on the women in each generation. Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Sexuality is an important element in the novel. It defines a person both physically and emotionally. Write an essay on the role of sexuality in the novel. Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Ursa sings the blues onstage. Write an essay on the theme of self expression in the form of song in the novel. Why is Ursa only able to express herself through song? What conflicts does this lead to in her life? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)