|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ursa hear about the Melrose woman's suicide?
2. How does May Alice's mother find out that May Alice is pregnant?
3. What does Ursa's mother do that Ursa wants her to stop doing?
4. What does Mutt say Jim has told him about Ursa?
5. With what does Ursa say her mother was heavy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old was the Melrose woman who committed suicide? Why does the Melrose woman's father investigate her case further?
2. Which two characters become intertwined in Ursa's memory? How does Ursa explain this?
3. Who comes in to warn Ursa that Mutt is back in town? What is Ursa's reaction to this bit of news?
4. Where does Mutt say he has been working? Why did he leave? Where is he working now?
5. What is the name of the man who buys Happy's from Tadpole? What does he ask Ursa?
6. What was the name of Ursa's father? Where did he and Ursa's mother meet?
7. Why does Ursa go to Bracktown to see her mother? What does she bring her?
8. How does Ursa think telling the story of her father will help her mother? What does Ursa think about her own relationship with men?
9. How many pregnancy scares does Mary Alice have? When she actually becomes pregnant, what does she tell Ursa?
10. What finally prompts Ursa's father to speak to Ursa's mother? What do they do together while they are getting to know one another?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ursa fears men and male affection throughout the novel. Write an essay on this theme. Does Ursa overcome her fear? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
The characters in the novel use sex to hold power over one another. Write an essay on the theme of sex as power. Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Corregidora is a strongly feminist novel. Write an essay detailing the feminist elements of the novel. Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)