|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prompts Ursa's mother to follow Ursa's father to his apartment?
2. What is the name of Ursa's father?
3. What does Ursa's mother say about Ursa's necklace during her visit?
4. What does Ursa say back to Mutt at the end of the novel?
5. What prompts Ursa's mother to see Ursa's father for the last time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jeffrene tell Ursa about Cat? What does she ask of Ursa?
2. When does Ursa's mother see Ursa's father for the last time? How does he treat her?
3. What does Mutt say to Ursa at the end of the novel? What is Ursa's response?
4. How did Corregidora feel about great-gram seeing black men? What does he say about this?
5. Why does Ursa go to Bracktown to see her mother? What does she bring her?
6. How does Ursa know that Mutt likes her when he comes to see her sing at Happy's? What does he tell her about Happy's?
7. Where does Ursa's mother catch her singing? What is her reaction to seeing Ursa sing?
8. When Ursa goes to visit Mary Alice in the hospital, what makes her uncomfortable? What makes her leave abruptly?
9. How many pregnancy scares does Mary Alice have? When she actually becomes pregnant, what does she tell Ursa?
10. How much older is Ursa's childhood friend, Mary Alice, than Ursa? What does she tell Ursa about, which she calls "bleeding?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Memories are some of the characters' only possessions in the novel. Write an essay on the theme of memories in the novel. Why are memories valuable? How are they detrimental? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Corregidora is a strongly feminist novel. Write an essay detailing the feminist elements of the novel. Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Ownership is an important element in the novel. Write an essay on the role of ownership in the novel. Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)