|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the place where Ursa and Mutt stay together?
2. What happened to Corregidora that affected him physically?
3. What does Ursa say the blues do for her?
4. What is the name of Mutt's cousin?
5. What do Tadpole and Ursa do on their wedding night instead of going out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the primary figure in Ursa's dream? What does he say to her?
2. What does Ursa do during breakfast at Cat's? What does Cat say about this?
3. Whom does Tadpole ask to be a witness at his wedding? Why is Ursa uncomfortable with this?
4. What does Tadpole say about it when Ursa is offered a job at the Spider? Whom does Ursa say he can hire in her place?
5. Who is Tadpole with when he fails to pick Ursa up from work? How old is she?
6. What prompts Sal Cooper to start talking to Ursa? What do they talk about during their first conversation?
7. Who was Corregidora? How is Ursa related to him?
8. What does Tadpole say about where his father is? What does Ursa tell Tadpole about her father?
9. For whom does the doctor mistake Tadpole? What does Ursa tell him after this?
10. What makes Ursa leave Cat's place? What does she tell Tadpole about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on Cat's role in the novel, making sure to address her effect on Ursa. Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Ursa fears men and male affection throughout the novel. Write an essay on this theme. Does Ursa overcome her fear? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Ownership is an important element in the novel. Write an essay on the role of ownership in the novel. Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)