|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl that Tadpole cheats on Ursa with?
2. Who is at Cat's place when Ursa goes to stay there?
3. What does Ursa tell the man in the car who tries to pick her up?
4. Where does Ursa say her birthmark is?
5. What does Tadpole do to Mutt after Ursa is hospitalized?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mutt not want Ursa to sing at Happy's? What happens when they have an argument over it in the alley?
2. Who comes to visit Ursa at Happy's while she is recovering? What does she know about Ursa that Ursa has not told anyone?
3. While Ursa is staying at Cat's place, what does Cat tell Ursa about Tadpole? What does she say about Mutt?
4. What does Tadpole want Ursa to tell him but will not during their argument? What does he say when he is leaving the room?
5. Who was Corregidora? How is Ursa related to him?
6. What does Ursa remember asking Mutt about wives? What was Mutt's response to this question?
7. What prompts Sal Cooper to start talking to Ursa? What do they talk about during their first conversation?
8. What does Cat tell Ursa about her past? How does their conversation end?
9. What does Tadpole say about it when Ursa is offered a job at the Spider? Whom does Ursa say he can hire in her place?
10. When Jimmy comes into Happy's to talk to Ursa, what does she want Jimmy to tell Mutt? What happens later that night between Ursa and Tadpole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the use of italicized text in the novel. Address its impact on both the novel and the reader. Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on Cat's role in the novel, making sure to address her effect on Ursa. Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Sexuality is an important element in the novel. It defines a person both physically and emotionally. Write an essay on the role of sexuality in the novel. Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)