|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mutt do to punish Ursa when he is angry with her when they are married?
(a) Denies her sex.
(b) Does not speak to her.
(c) Cheats on her.
(d) Beats her.
2. Where was the first place Ursa sang in public?
(b) The Spider.
3. What is the name of the new owner of Happy's after Tadpole sells it?
(a) Milton Bradley.
(b) Austin Bradley.
(c) Jack White.
(d) Bradley Cooper.
4. Why does Ursa's mother go back to the cafe even though she was afraid to speak to Ursa's father?
(a) She liked the challenge.
(b) She wanted to overcome her fears.
(c) No man could make her afraid.
(d) Her body told her to.
5. How does Ursa find out about her period when she is young?
(a) She sees May Alice bleeding.
(b) She gets her period at an early age.
(c) She sees bloody sheets and her mother tells her about it.
(d) Her mother warns her about it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do May Alice and her mother eventually move?
2. Where is the new owner of Happy's from?
3. What is the name of the man who cuts hair in the town that Ursa's mother lives in?
4. What did the old man tell the slave who was running away to rub on his feet so that the dogs couldn't track him?
5. When Ursa is with Mutt at the end of the novel, what does she realize about Great Gram and Corregidora?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Corregidora feel about great-gram seeing black men? What does he say about this?
2. What is the name of the boy that Mary Alice begins to have sex with? What does Mary Alice tell Ursa when Ursa says she should stop?
3. How does Ursa think telling the story of her father will help her mother? What does Ursa think about her own relationship with men?
4. What does Jeffrene tell Ursa about Cat? What does she ask of Ursa?
5. When Ursa comes to visit her mother, what is her mother doing? Why is she doing this?
6. Who comes in to warn Ursa that Mutt is back in town? What is Ursa's reaction to this bit of news?
7. How many pregnancy scares does Mary Alice have? When she actually becomes pregnant, what does she tell Ursa?
8. Which two characters become intertwined in Ursa's memory? How does Ursa explain this?
9. How does Ursa know that Mutt likes her when he comes to see her sing at Happy's? What does he tell her about Happy's?
10. After Ursa's father finds out Ursa's mother is pregnant, what does he do? What does he do after that?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)