|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Colonel Carlson come to talk to McCoy at the beginning of Chapter XI?
2. Where is Captain Banning sent to see doctors?
3. To what rank is Zimmerman promoted?
4. What does the young pregnant woman need?
5. Where is McCoy stationed at the beginning of Chapter XI?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Corps 02: Call to Arms is one book in a series of novels involving McCoy and the other characters. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
At the conclusion of a novel, most readers either consciously or unconsciously engage in processing the book and usually come to a conclusion as to whether they like the book or not. Discuss one of the following:
1. Would you consider Corps 02: Call to Arms a "good" book? Why or why not? Use examples to illustrate your stance.
2. What do you think are the elements of an outstanding novel? Analyze one of your favorite novels to see if those elements are present.
3. What are some reasons you might consider a novel a failure? Analyze a novel you think is a failure and see if those elements are in that novel.
Essay Topic 3
During the time he was in the Philippines, McCoy showed great courage and bravery by saving the lives of several of his fellow soldiers. Discuss the following:
1. What is courage? It is defined in the dictionary as: mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty. How is courage demonstrated? Given what you have seen of McCoy why would one call him courageous? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss two situations, one during war and one during peace in which a great deal of courage would be needed to endure the situations.
3. Discuss the two sides to the following: Courage can be learned. One is either born with courage or not.
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)