|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is McCoy stationed at the beginning of Chapter XI?
2. In Chapter XI a navy doctor finds out Banning and the other nine blind men are going to back to the states how?
3. Why does Colonel Carlson come to talk to McCoy at the beginning of Chapter XI?
4. What does the young pregnant woman need?
5. Where is Captain Banning sent to see doctors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Corps 02: Call to Arms is one book in a series of novels involving McCoy and the other characters. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
McCoy, despite his background, is an officer and a gentleman and is therefore accorded more respect and trust even in enemy territory than the common soldier. Discuss the following:
1. Does it seem likely that officers are usually more respectable than enlisted men back then? What about today? Why or why not?
2. In the Raiders Carlson wants no distinction between officer and enlisted. Explain why you think this is a good or bad idea. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. In the present military in the United States, both officers and enlisted can be held for court martial for adultery or having sexual relations with someone of inferior rank. Why do you think this is so? Do you agree with the policy?
Essay Topic 3
In any book centered around the military, leadership of the troops is often crucial with the better leaders able to command the respect and loyalty of their men. The men's willingness to follow a particularly leader can have a decisive impact upon the success of a mission. Discuss the following:
1. Whose command style seems most effective? Analyze the elements of those effective leaders thoroughly and discuss the traits of the good leaders. What makes an excellent leader/commander? Give examples.
2. Whose command style seems most ineffective? Analyze the elements of those ineffective leaders thoroughly and discuss the traits of the poor leaders. What makes a poor leader/commander? Give examples.
3. Is disobeying a poor leader ever justifiable? Explain using details from the text, other books you have read and your personal experience. In times of war, disobeying an order can be punishable by death. Is this harsh sentence justifiable for such an act? Why or why not.
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)