|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what rank is Zimmerman promoted?
2. Why does Colonel Carlson come to talk to McCoy at the beginning of Chapter XI?
3. Where is McCoy stationed at the beginning of Chapter XI?
4. What does the young pregnant woman need?
5. In Chapter XI a navy doctor finds out Banning and the other nine blind men are going to back to the states how?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Corps 02: Call to Arms.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Corps 02: Call to Arms. How is the theme represented by symbolism, by the characters' behaviors, and by the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Corps 02: Call to Arms. How are the themes represented by symbolism, by the characters' behaviors, and by the action?
Essay Topic 2
Corps 02: Call to Arms is one book in a series of novels involving McCoy and the other characters. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Most people and regular soldiers detest spies and the idea of spying. Spies are not considered in the same vein as soldiers in uniform and are not protected by the customs and regulations that govern the treatment of soldiers who are in uniform when captured. Rickabee asks McCoy to spy on Carlson, which might be considered even more distasteful due to them being in the same military. Discuss one of the following:
1. Why do you think spies are not accorded any rights under many countries' laws and/or customs?
2. Even though all countries abhor spies, often even their own, they still spy, and men and women are still willing to be spies. Discuss why you think this is so.
3. Research and analyze the history of spying in either America.
4. Does McCoy seem the image of a typical spy as you visualize one? Why or why not.
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)