|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter XI a navy doctor finds out Banning and the other nine blind men are going to back to the states how?
2. What does the young pregnant woman need?
3. To what rank is Zimmerman promoted?
4. Where is Captain Banning sent to see doctors?
5. Why does Colonel Carlson come to talk to McCoy at the beginning of Chapter XI?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most of the entire series of novels concerning McCoy takes place during the Second World War. Therefore understanding the political and social situation during that time helps to a greater understanding and appreciation of this book and others in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the second world war begins and ends.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the battles that take place on land between America and the Japanese in World War II.
3. Compare/Contrast the importance of the British infantry during the second world war to the importance of the American infantry during either WWI.
4. Write an expository essay on how World War II affects the social culture of one of the following countries: Britian, France, America, or Germany.
Essay Topic 2
Lieutenant McCoy came from a poor family and never went to college, unlike Ernie and Pick who both come from very wealthy families and attended prestigious colleges.
1. What kind of obstacles do you think Ernie and McCoy will have to overcome in order to marry given the difference in their social class? Use examples from your own life, your knowledge and the book to illustrate your ideas.
2. How do you think the issue of class enters into Pickering and Ernie's parents wanting them to marry? Use examples from your own life, your knowledge and the book to illustrate your ideas.
3. With research, if necessary, what do you see are the differences and similarities between class issues now and in the 1940's?
Essay Topic 3
The military way of life is in and of itself similar to a distinct culture. Understanding how the military is organized, how it operates, and its basic rules of conduct will make any novel that centers on the military more understandable and enjoyable. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe and analyze the military structure during the time of Corps 02: Call to Arms. What is rank? What is the difference between officers and enlisted men? How serious is it to disobey an order? What happens if one decides he does not like being in the military and walks away? How are men drafted?
2. Compare the infantry of Corps 02: Call to Arms to that in modern times in for the United States. What are the similarities? The differences? Are the changes from those times improvements? Why or why not? (This question will require some research).
3. Discuss why you think the military has the following: Uniforms, a rank structure of Officers and Enlisted, Strict Discipline, Training for New Recruits, Court Martial, and Different types of companies (i.e., rifle, Cavalry, artillery, etc). Discuss why you think men (and nowadays women) choose to become professional soldiers.
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)