|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do everyone who goes up with Pick in a plane think about his flying experience?
2. What does Carlson want to start?
3. Where is McCoy taken to have his wounds checked out?
4. Why has Ernie brought McCoy home?
5. In what capacity does McCoy want Zimmerman to work with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what situation did Pickering discover he loved Martha?
2. In Chapter XI, what does a navy doctor find out about Banning and the other blind men and what does he do?
3. What branch of the service is Thomas McCoy in and what kind of problem has he had?
4. Where are Zimmerman's wife and children? Why are they there?
5. How does Carlson introduce McCoy to the Separate Battalion and what does he tell them?
6. To what job has Zimmerman and Kozonwski been assigned in Chapter I?
7. How does Ernie's mother feel about her's and Pick's best friend?
8. Where is Banning spending his leave time in New York, who does he meet and what happens with them?
9. In Chapter IX, what does Colonel Harris ask Jack Stecker about Carlson?
10. How did Ernie meet McCoy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The military way of life is in and of itself similar to a distinct culture. Understanding how the military is organized, how it operates, and its basic rules of conduct will make any novel that centers on the military more understandable and enjoyable. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe and analyze the military structure during the time of Corps 02: Call to Arms. What is rank? What is the difference between officers and enlisted men? How serious is it to disobey an order? What happens if one decides he does not like being in the military and walks away? How are men drafted?
2. Compare the infantry of Corps 02: Call to Arms to that in modern times in for the United States. What are the similarities? The differences? Are the changes from those times improvements? Why or why not? (This question will require some research).
3. Discuss why you think the military has the following: Uniforms, a rank structure of Officers and Enlisted, Strict Discipline, Training for New Recruits, Court Martial, and Different types of companies (i.e., rifle, Cavalry, artillery, etc). Discuss why you think men (and nowadays women) choose to become professional soldiers.
Essay Topic 2
Griffin has tried as much as possible to use historical events and facts around which to weave his work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think this book qualifies as an historical fiction? Why or why not?
2. If much of the events in the book are historical, what surprises you about the way the events play out?
3. Do you think the culture of that era is more or less advanced than you imagined? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Corps 02: Call to Arms is one book in a series of novels involving McCoy and the other characters. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)