|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Captain Banning transported back to the states?
2. What does McCoy talk about with Ernie in Pennsylvania?
3. What do Wesley and his group ask of McCoy about the meeting at the farmhouse?
4. How many Chinese did McCoy kill in Shanghai?
5. Where did Banning leave his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of group does Carlson want to start and what are his ideas about rank for the group?
2. Who does Ernie meet at the grocery store in Chapter XI and what does she do?
3. How does Ernie's mother feel about her's and Pick's best friend?
4. Where does Zimmerman and Koznowski run into McCoy and Ernie and what story do they tell?
5. What is Banning and Stecker talking about on Ernie and McCoy's boat and what does Banning tell McCoy about it?
6. Where and in what way was Captain Banning wounded and what did he do in the military? What is his prognosis?
7. What does McCoy do after he speaks with Carlson?
8. Who does Pickering meet when he arrives at flight school and what happens with the two?
9. How does Pickering respond to his first flight and why is the instructor surprised by it?
10. In Chapter I, from where is McCoy flying, what is wrong with him and what does he allow the pilot to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Corps 02: Call to Arms.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Corps 02: Call to Arms. How is the theme represented by symbolism, by the characters' behaviors, and by the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Corps 02: Call to Arms. How are the themes represented by symbolism, by the characters' behaviors, and by the action?
Essay Topic 2
Griffin has tried as much as possible to use historical events and facts around which to weave his work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think this book qualifies as an historical fiction? Why or why not?
2. If much of the events in the book are historical, what surprises you about the way the events play out?
3. Do you think the culture of that era is more or less advanced than you imagined? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The military way of life is in and of itself similar to a distinct culture. Understanding how the military is organized, how it operates, and its basic rules of conduct will make any novel that centers on the military more understandable and enjoyable. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe and analyze the military structure during the time of Corps 02: Call to Arms. What is rank? What is the difference between officers and enlisted men? How serious is it to disobey an order? What happens if one decides he does not like being in the military and walks away? How are men drafted?
2. Compare the infantry of Corps 02: Call to Arms to that in modern times in for the United States. What are the similarities? The differences? Are the changes from those times improvements? Why or why not? (This question will require some research).
3. Discuss why you think the military has the following: Uniforms, a rank structure of Officers and Enlisted, Strict Discipline, Training for New Recruits, Court Martial, and Different types of companies (i.e., rifle, Cavalry, artillery, etc). Discuss why you think men (and nowadays women) choose to become professional soldiers.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)