|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pick meet at breakfast?
2. How does Ernie's mother feel about McCoy?
3. When was Pick's first airplane ride?
4. Who does the man in question #76 take up first?
5. Where does Pick go for breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Banning and Stecker talking about on Ernie and McCoy's boat and what does Banning tell McCoy about it?
2. What does Pickering want to do when he leaves the military and how has he prepared for that career?
3. Where are Zimmerman's wife and children? Why are they there?
4. What does Lieutenant Plumley tell Thomas McCoy about what Zimmerman said to him?
5. To what job has Zimmerman and Kozonwski been assigned in Chapter I?
6. How does the Raiders first mission go and what is the difficulty involved with the pick-up point?
7. What does McCoy find out about his brother in Chapter XV and how does he feel about it?
8. What does Pick and Stecker do after Carstairs tells them McCoy was wounded and he has given up on Martha?
9. Why is Colonel Wesley concerned about Colonel Carlson and with whom does he discuss his concerns in Chapter I?
10. Where and in what way was Captain Banning wounded and what did he do in the military? What is his prognosis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The military way of life is in and of itself similar to a distinct culture. Understanding how the military is organized, how it operates, and its basic rules of conduct will make any novel that centers on the military more understandable and enjoyable. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe and analyze the military structure during the time of Corps 02: Call to Arms. What is rank? What is the difference between officers and enlisted men? How serious is it to disobey an order? What happens if one decides he does not like being in the military and walks away? How are men drafted?
2. Compare the infantry of Corps 02: Call to Arms to that in modern times in for the United States. What are the similarities? The differences? Are the changes from those times improvements? Why or why not? (This question will require some research).
3. Discuss why you think the military has the following: Uniforms, a rank structure of Officers and Enlisted, Strict Discipline, Training for New Recruits, Court Martial, and Different types of companies (i.e., rifle, Cavalry, artillery, etc). Discuss why you think men (and nowadays women) choose to become professional soldiers.
Essay Topic 2
Corps 02: Call to Arms is one book in a series of novels involving McCoy and the other characters. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
During the time he was in the Philippines, McCoy showed great courage and bravery by saving the lives of several of his fellow soldiers. Discuss the following:
1. What is courage? It is defined in the dictionary as: mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty. How is courage demonstrated? Given what you have seen of McCoy why would one call him courageous? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss two situations, one during war and one during peace in which a great deal of courage would be needed to endure the situations.
3. Discuss the two sides to the following: Courage can be learned. One is either born with courage or not.
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)