|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Carlson close friends which helps his clout?
2. Why has Pick volunteered for flight training?
3. How does McCoy feel about taking the assignment from Wesley?
4. What does Martha's teasing make Pick do?
5. Who does McCoy take Ernie to see in Chapter VII?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carlson pull McCoy aside after informing the Raiders of their next step in training? What is McCoy's response to Carlson information?
2. What does Pick and Stecker do after Carstairs tells them McCoy was wounded and he has given up on Martha?
3. What is Mrs. Pickering's response to Ernie's phone call?
4. What is Banning and Stecker talking about on Ernie and McCoy's boat and what does Banning tell McCoy about it?
5. Why is Colonel Wesley and others concerned about Carlson's idea?
6. Who does Pickering meet when he arrives at flight school and what happens with the two?
7. Why does Ernie call Pick's mother in San Diego?
8. Where does Sergeant Zimmerman when Esposito sees him in Chapter XVI? What does Esposito ask Zimmerman about?
9. How did Ernie meet McCoy?
10. What does Carlson say to the recruits about McCoy teaching them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the time he was in the Philippines, McCoy showed great courage and bravery by saving the lives of several of his fellow soldiers. Discuss the following:
1. What is courage? It is defined in the dictionary as: mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty. How is courage demonstrated? Given what you have seen of McCoy why would one call him courageous? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss two situations, one during war and one during peace in which a great deal of courage would be needed to endure the situations.
3. Discuss the two sides to the following: Courage can be learned. One is either born with courage or not.
Essay Topic 2
Politics and manipulation influence much of what happens in Corps 02: Call to Arms. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe the political situation in Corps 02: Call to Arms and how it impacts the actions of three of the major characters.
2. Discuss and analyze several people who try to manipulate McCoy and his responses to them.
3. Discuss how and why Wesley's behavior is related to politics and why his behavior is an example of manipulation. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Most people and regular soldiers detest spies and the idea of spying. Spies are not considered in the same vein as soldiers in uniform and are not protected by the customs and regulations that govern the treatment of soldiers who are in uniform when captured. Rickabee asks McCoy to spy on Carlson, which might be considered even more distasteful due to them being in the same military. Discuss one of the following:
1. Why do you think spies are not accorded any rights under many countries' laws and/or customs?
2. Even though all countries abhor spies, often even their own, they still spy, and men and women are still willing to be spies. Discuss why you think this is so.
3. Research and analyze the history of spying in either America.
4. Does McCoy seem the image of a typical spy as you visualize one? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)