|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does McCoy ask Zimmerman to do in Chapter II?
2. With whom is Pickering best friends?
3. Why does Ernie call Patricia Pickering?
4. With whom is Carlson close friends which helps his clout?
5. Where does Pick go for breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carlson pull McCoy aside after informing the Raiders of their next step in training? What is McCoy's response to Carlson information?
2. What happened to McCoy after he met Ernie and what did she learn from that?
3. What did Ernie tell her father about her feelings towards McCoy?
4. Why is Colonel Wesley concerned about Colonel Carlson and with whom does he discuss his concerns in Chapter I?
5. Where and in what way was Captain Banning wounded and what did he do in the military? What is his prognosis?
6. In Chapter IX, what does Colonel Harris ask Jack Stecker about Carlson?
7. What does Flight Instructor Minter do with Pick on his first flight and what does he find out after the flight is over?
8. How does the Raiders first mission go and what is the difficulty involved with the pick-up point?
9. Why has Pick volunteered for flight training?
10. What does the navy psychiatrist tell Banning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the time he was in the Philippines, McCoy showed great courage and bravery by saving the lives of several of his fellow soldiers. Discuss the following:
1. What is courage? It is defined in the dictionary as: mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty. How is courage demonstrated? Given what you have seen of McCoy why would one call him courageous? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss two situations, one during war and one during peace in which a great deal of courage would be needed to endure the situations.
3. Discuss the two sides to the following: Courage can be learned. One is either born with courage or not.
Essay Topic 2
Politics and manipulation influence much of what happens in Corps 02: Call to Arms. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe the political situation in Corps 02: Call to Arms and how it impacts the actions of three of the major characters.
2. Discuss and analyze several people who try to manipulate McCoy and his responses to them.
3. Discuss how and why Wesley's behavior is related to politics and why his behavior is an example of manipulation. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Though this novel is probably more action-driven rather than character-driven, obviously there are several characters who make the novel what it is. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare and contrast the characters of McCoy and Zimmerman. Include their goals, sense of honor, abilities, and social skills.
2. Compare and contrast the characters of Lieutenant Stecker and Pickering.
3. Thoroughly analyze the character of McCoy discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)