|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the military situation worsens, Carlo and Corelli give Dr. Iannis ___________________________.
2. What does Corelli do to seem more like a Greek man?
3. What does Dr. Iannis suggest that the villagers eat when there is a food shortage?
4. What does Antonia name her son?
5. Pelagia realizes that Carlo and her father are responsible for writing and distributing _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How will events of the war alter the friendship between Corelli and Weber?
2. Explain the circumstances of the execution of the Italian soldiers and how Weber ultimately allows Corelli to live.
3. What is the general consensus of Hector by the men who are serving under him?
4. What unspeakable act is Gunter ordered to do by his commander, and what will happen to Gunter if he refuses to do it?
5. How does Corelli turn Pelagia's kiss on the cheek into a comedic episode?
6. Who takes control of the island after the Germans leave, and why is Dr. Iannis taken away from their homes?
7. What advice does Dr. Iannis give separately to Pelagia and Corelli about their romance?
8. Who is "Bunny" Warren and how does he arrive on the island?
9. What does Dr. Iannis suggest that the villagers eat when food becomes scarce on the island?
10. In what ways has the war transformed the priest, Father Arsenios?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Louis de Bernieres is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
"Corelli's Mandolin" is a classic example of an historical fiction story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Fear takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the characters' needs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)