|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Alekos?
2. Who accompanies the priest on his traveling mission?
3. What items does Carlo give to Dr. Iannis for safekeeping?
4. The British officer decodes the German message to ____________________.
5. Pelagia realizes that Carlo and her father are responsible for writing and distributing _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Antonia and what is Dr. Iannis' condition when he is finally allowed to return home?
2. Describe the circumstances in which Corelli and Pelagia part?
3. What is the episode named in the title of Chapter 37, "An Episode Confirming Pelagia's Belief That Men Do Not Know the Difference Between Bravery and a Lack of Common Sense"?
4. Who takes control of the island after the Germans leave, and why is Dr. Iannis taken away from their homes?
5. What do Carlo and Corelli give to Dr. Iannis for safekeeping when they fear that their deaths may be imminent?
6. What advice does Dr. Iannis give separately to Pelagia and Corelli about their romance?
7. In what ways has the war transformed the priest, Father Arsenios?
8. What unspeakable act is Gunter ordered to do by his commander, and what will happen to Gunter if he refuses to do it?
9. How does Corelli turn Pelagia's kiss on the cheek into a comedic episode?
10. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 42, "How Like a Woman Is a Mandolin".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in Greece during the 1950s. What precedents did these women feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? How were their lives significantly more difficult than the lives of 21st century women? How does Pelagia's life change from the beginning of the book to show her burgeoning independence?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Carlo. What did he look like? What is his life life? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Mandras and Captain Corelli. How are their circumstances similar? In what ways are their lives different? Why are they each attracted to Pelagia? What can each of them offer Pelagia that the other cannot? Could they have been friends if their circumstances were different?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)