|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Corelli's singing group meet?
2. Whose body is buried in the doctor's yard?
3. General Gandin believed the promise of the Germans that they would ___________________.
4. What washes ashore near the village in Chapter 43?
5. What does Corelli suggest to his men as they realize they are being driven to a firing range to be executed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Carlo and Corelli give to Dr. Iannis for safekeeping when they fear that their deaths may be imminent?
2. Describe the circumstances in which Corelli and Pelagia part?
3. How will events of the war alter the friendship between Corelli and Weber?
4. Why is Pelagia filled with sorrow even though Corelli has survived the attempted execution by the Germans?
5. Explain the circumstances of the execution of the Italian soldiers and how Weber ultimately allows Corelli to live.
6. Who is Antonia and what is Dr. Iannis' condition when he is finally allowed to return home?
7. Who is "Bunny" Warren and how does he arrive on the island?
8. Why are the Italian officers unhappy with their commander, General Grandin?
9. How is Corelli saved from the execution site and what happens to the bodies of the other Italian soldiers?
10. What unspeakable act is Gunter ordered to do by his commander, and what will happen to Gunter if he refuses to do it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and describe the lifestyles of the main characters. Where are they living? What work do they do? Where do they find joy? How do they reconcile their pasts?
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in "Corelli's Mandolin". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)