|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of meat are Hector and his men roasting over a fire in Chapter 36?
2. What happens to Corelli after the dynamite blast?
3. Who emerges as the local leader of the village after the earthquake?
4. What does Dr. Iannis give to the British spy?
5. The British officer decodes the German message to ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances in which Iannis gets Corelli's mandolin for lessons?
2. When the Germans withdraw from the island, what does Gunter leave at the home of Dr. Iannis?
3. How does Captain Corelli punish the two soldiers who steal chickens from Kokolis?
4. Describe the circumstances in which Corelli and Pelagia part?
5. What advice does Dr. Iannis give separately to Pelagia and Corelli about their romance?
6. What project does Pelagia take on after her father's death?
7. Explain the circumstances of the execution of the Italian soldiers and how Weber ultimately allows Corelli to live.
8. In what ways has the war transformed the priest, Father Arsenios?
9. What unspeakable act is Gunter ordered to do by his commander, and what will happen to Gunter if he refuses to do it?
10. Describe some of the international aid coming to the island after the earthquake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Louis de Berneires' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Gunter Weber. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Gunter's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mandras. What did he look like? What do we learn about him and his life? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)