|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pelagia name the baby girl left at the doorstep?
2. How does Mandras die?
3. How do the Germans try to get rid of the dead bodies?
4. What promise does Corelli make to Pelagia before leaving the island?
5. Corelli plays on a _______________ team which won its match yesterday.
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Germans withdraw from the island, what does Gunter leave at the home of Dr. Iannis?
2. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 42, "How Like a Woman Is a Mandolin".
3. Why is Pelagia filled with sorrow even though Corelli has survived the attempted execution by the Germans?
4. Who takes control of the island after the Germans leave, and why is Dr. Iannis taken away from their homes?
5. What advice does Dr. Iannis give separately to Pelagia and Corelli about their romance?
6. How will events of the war alter the friendship between Corelli and Weber?
7. Explain the circumstances of the execution of the Italian soldiers and how Weber ultimately allows Corelli to live.
8. Who is Antonia and what is Dr. Iannis' condition when he is finally allowed to return home?
9. How does Corelli turn Pelagia's kiss on the cheek into a comedic episode?
10. What is the episode named in the title of Chapter 37, "An Episode Confirming Pelagia's Belief That Men Do Not Know the Difference Between Bravery and a Lack of Common Sense"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of love. Identify at least two instances about love in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
"Corelli's Mandolin" is a classic example of an historical fiction story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Pelagia. What did she look like? What was her life like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)