|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who carries the soldier in #138 to Dr. Iannis' house?
2. What does Antonia name her son?
3. Why is Pelagia so distraught while at home?
4. Instead of liberating Greece, the Allies attack ________________.
5. Where does Corelli instruct the villagers to stand to watch the removal of the item in #101?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances in which Corelli and Pelagia part?
2. What is the general consensus of Hector by the men who are serving under him?
3. What does Dr. Iannis suggest that the villagers eat when food becomes scarce on the island?
4. What is the episode named in the title of Chapter 37, "An Episode Confirming Pelagia's Belief That Men Do Not Know the Difference Between Bravery and a Lack of Common Sense"?
5. In what ways has the war transformed the priest, Father Arsenios?
6. What are some of the topics that Corelli and Weber talk about when they meet for the singing group?
7. How has General Grandin put his men in jeopardy by believing the promises of the Germans?
8. How does Captain Corelli punish the two soldiers who steal chickens from Kokolis?
9. What does Corelli do on his last day on the island and how does he ultimately leave?
10. Describe some of the international aid coming to the island after the earthquake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Corelli's Mandolin" is a classic example of an historical fiction story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mandras. What did he look like? What do we learn about him and his life? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "Corelli's Mandolin". What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)