|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year are the Germans ordered to withdraw from the island?
2. What does Dr. Iannis give to the British spy?
3. Corelli plays on a _______________ team which won its match yesterday.
4. Who has put a rose on Carlo's grave for many years?
5. What items does Carlo give to Dr. Iannis for safekeeping?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Germans withdraw from the island, what does Gunter leave at the home of Dr. Iannis?
2. What does Corelli do on his last day on the island and how does he ultimately leave?
3. Why is Pelagia filled with sorrow even though Corelli has survived the attempted execution by the Germans?
4. Describe some of the international aid coming to the island after the earthquake?
5. Who is "Bunny" Warren and how does he arrive on the island?
6. What are the circumstances in which Iannis gets Corelli's mandolin for lessons?
7. How is Corelli saved from the execution site and what happens to the bodies of the other Italian soldiers?
8. How will events of the war alter the friendship between Corelli and Weber?
9. What is the episode named in the title of Chapter 37, "An Episode Confirming Pelagia's Belief That Men Do Not Know the Difference Between Bravery and a Lack of Common Sense"?
10. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 42, "How Like a Woman Is a Mandolin".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in "Corelli's Mandolin". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and describe the lifestyles of the main characters. Where are they living? What work do they do? Where do they find joy? How do they reconcile their pasts?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of love. Identify at least two instances about love in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)