|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies the priest on his traveling mission?
2. What do Pelagia and Corelli spend a lot of time talking about?
3. Why would Pelagia have to leave Greece if she were to marry Corelli?
4. Gunter leaves a photograph of ___________________ for Pelagia.
5. Hector reads to the men from a book by ________________ while sitting around the campfire.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances in which Iannis gets Corelli's mandolin for lessons?
2. In what ways has the war transformed the priest, Father Arsenios?
3. What advice does Dr. Iannis give separately to Pelagia and Corelli about their romance?
4. Explain the circumstances of the execution of the Italian soldiers and how Weber ultimately allows Corelli to live.
5. How will events of the war alter the friendship between Corelli and Weber?
6. When the Germans withdraw from the island, what does Gunter leave at the home of Dr. Iannis?
7. What do Carlo and Corelli give to Dr. Iannis for safekeeping when they fear that their deaths may be imminent?
8. How has General Grandin put his men in jeopardy by believing the promises of the Germans?
9. What does Dr. Iannis suggest that the villagers eat when food becomes scarce on the island?
10. Describe some of the international aid coming to the island after the earthquake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Captain Corelli. What did he look like? What do we know about him? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of war. Identify at least two examples about war in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 3
"Corelli's Mandolin" is a classic example of an historical fiction story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)