|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Corelli plays on a _______________ team which won its match yesterday.
2. Which of the Italian soldiers is still alive after the shooting?
3. What happens to Corelli after the dynamite blast?
4. What is the profession of the man in #162?
5. The British officer decodes the German message to ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens when an unexploded mine washes ashore near the village.
2. Who does Antonia marry and what does she ultimately name the child she will have many years later?
3. What project does Pelagia take on after her father's death?
4. What is the episode named in the title of Chapter 37, "An Episode Confirming Pelagia's Belief That Men Do Not Know the Difference Between Bravery and a Lack of Common Sense"?
5. What does Dr. Iannis suggest that the villagers eat when food becomes scarce on the island?
6. In what ways has the war transformed the priest, Father Arsenios?
7. How has General Grandin put his men in jeopardy by believing the promises of the Germans?
8. How does Captain Corelli punish the two soldiers who steal chickens from Kokolis?
9. Explain the circumstances of the execution of the Italian soldiers and how Weber ultimately allows Corelli to live.
10. What are some of the topics that Corelli and Weber talk about when they meet for the singing group?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and describe the lifestyles of the main characters. Where are they living? What work do they do? Where do they find joy? How do they reconcile their pasts?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Gunter Weber. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Gunter's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
"Corelli's Mandolin" is a classic example of an historical fiction story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)