|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pelagia give to Corelli when he wakes up with a hangover?
2. What does Drousula urge Pelagia to do to work through her depression over her father's death?
3. What does Antonia name her son?
4. Who does Antonia want to marry?
5. Where is Corelli kept during his recovery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Carlo and Corelli give to Dr. Iannis for safekeeping when they fear that their deaths may be imminent?
2. When the Germans withdraw from the island, what does Gunter leave at the home of Dr. Iannis?
3. Explain what happens when an unexploded mine washes ashore near the village.
4. What project does Pelagia take on after her father's death?
5. In what ways has the war transformed the priest, Father Arsenios?
6. How is Corelli saved from the execution site and what happens to the bodies of the other Italian soldiers?
7. What does Corelli do on his last day on the island and how does he ultimately leave?
8. What advice does Dr. Iannis give separately to Pelagia and Corelli about their romance?
9. How has General Grandin put his men in jeopardy by believing the promises of the Germans?
10. Who does Antonia marry and what does she ultimately name the child she will have many years later?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in "Corelli's Mandolin". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and describe the lifestyles of the main characters. Where are they living? What work do they do? Where do they find joy? How do they reconcile their pasts?
Essay Topic 3
Fear takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the characters' needs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)