|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who especially welcomes the priest's dramatic preaching?
2. What does Pelagia do to Corelli when they pass in the doorway one day?
3. How do the Germans try to get rid of the dead bodies?
4. On what spot does Corelli kiss Pelagia?
5. How old is Antonia when she declares that she wants to get married?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Captain Corelli punish the two soldiers who steal chickens from Kokolis?
2. How has General Grandin put his men in jeopardy by believing the promises of the Germans?
3. What does Dr. Iannis suggest that the villagers eat when food becomes scarce on the island?
4. When the Germans withdraw from the island, what does Gunter leave at the home of Dr. Iannis?
5. What is the episode named in the title of Chapter 37, "An Episode Confirming Pelagia's Belief That Men Do Not Know the Difference Between Bravery and a Lack of Common Sense"?
6. What are some of the topics that Corelli and Weber talk about when they meet for the singing group?
7. What project does Pelagia take on after her father's death?
8. Who is Antonia and what is Dr. Iannis' condition when he is finally allowed to return home?
9. Explain the circumstances of the execution of the Italian soldiers and how Weber ultimately allows Corelli to live.
10. Who does Antonia marry and what does she ultimately name the child she will have many years later?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of war. Identify at least two examples about war in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Louis de Berneires' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Louis de Bernieres is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)