|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Gunter Weber give his commanding officer for not wanting to carry out the order in #133?
2. What is the name of the British spy who arrives in the village?
3. What does Corelli do on his last day before leaving the island?
4. What type of thoughts does Corelli have about Pelagia?
5. What does Corelli do when Weber tells him he tried to stop the execution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What project does Pelagia take on after her father's death?
2. Who is "Bunny" Warren and how does he arrive on the island?
3. What are some of the topics that Corelli and Weber talk about when they meet for the singing group?
4. What does Corelli do on his last day on the island and how does he ultimately leave?
5. How will events of the war alter the friendship between Corelli and Weber?
6. Describe the circumstances in which Corelli and Pelagia part?
7. When the Germans withdraw from the island, what does Gunter leave at the home of Dr. Iannis?
8. What does Dr. Iannis suggest that the villagers eat when food becomes scarce on the island?
9. What do Carlo and Corelli give to Dr. Iannis for safekeeping when they fear that their deaths may be imminent?
10. Who is Antonia and what is Dr. Iannis' condition when he is finally allowed to return home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and describe the lifestyles of the main characters. Where are they living? What work do they do? Where do they find joy? How do they reconcile their pasts?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mandras. What did he look like? What do we learn about him and his life? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 3
Louis de Bernieres is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)