|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a fireman see near Dr. Iannis' house during an earthquake aftershock?
2. Who emerges as the local leader of the village after the earthquake?
3. What has the German soldier, Gunter Weber, been ordered to do?
4. How does Mandras die?
5. What does Dr. Iannis remind Pelagia of when speaking about her attraction to Corelli?
Short Essay Questions
1. What project does Pelagia take on after her father's death?
2. What do Carlo and Corelli give to Dr. Iannis for safekeeping when they fear that their deaths may be imminent?
3. Why are the Italian officers unhappy with their commander, General Grandin?
4. What does Dr. Iannis suggest that the villagers eat when food becomes scarce on the island?
5. How has General Grandin put his men in jeopardy by believing the promises of the Germans?
6. Who does Antonia marry and what does she ultimately name the child she will have many years later?
7. How is Corelli saved from the execution site and what happens to the bodies of the other Italian soldiers?
8. How does Corelli turn Pelagia's kiss on the cheek into a comedic episode?
9. When the Germans withdraw from the island, what does Gunter leave at the home of Dr. Iannis?
10. What advice does Dr. Iannis give separately to Pelagia and Corelli about their romance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Pelagia. What did she look like? What was her life like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of love. Identify at least two instances about love in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of music. Identify at least two instances about music in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)