|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is decapitated by a piece of flying metal in Chapter 43?
2. As the military situation worsens, Carlo and Corelli give Dr. Iannis ___________________________.
3. Why do Hector's men stay with him?
4. How old is Antonia when she declares that she wants to get married?
5. What does Corelli give to Dr. Iannis to keep for him during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the circumstances of the execution of the Italian soldiers and how Weber ultimately allows Corelli to live.
2. What advice does Dr. Iannis give separately to Pelagia and Corelli about their romance?
3. Who takes control of the island after the Germans leave, and why is Dr. Iannis taken away from their homes?
4. Who is "Bunny" Warren and how does he arrive on the island?
5. How has General Grandin put his men in jeopardy by believing the promises of the Germans?
6. Describe some of the international aid coming to the island after the earthquake?
7. When the Germans withdraw from the island, what does Gunter leave at the home of Dr. Iannis?
8. What does Corelli do on his last day on the island and how does he ultimately leave?
9. Explain what happens when an unexploded mine washes ashore near the village.
10. How does Corelli turn Pelagia's kiss on the cheek into a comedic episode?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Gunter Weber. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Gunter's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in "Corelli's Mandolin". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Louis de Bernieres is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)