|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprising event does Alekos witness one day?
2. Why does Mandras angrily confront Pelagia?
3. Who emerges as the local leader of the village after the earthquake?
4. What reason does Gunter Weber give his commanding officer for not wanting to carry out the order in #133?
5. What type of instrument does Iannis want to play when he grows up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the episode named in the title of Chapter 37, "An Episode Confirming Pelagia's Belief That Men Do Not Know the Difference Between Bravery and a Lack of Common Sense"?
2. What does Dr. Iannis suggest that the villagers eat when food becomes scarce on the island?
3. How does Captain Corelli punish the two soldiers who steal chickens from Kokolis?
4. What do Carlo and Corelli give to Dr. Iannis for safekeeping when they fear that their deaths may be imminent?
5. What unspeakable act is Gunter ordered to do by his commander, and what will happen to Gunter if he refuses to do it?
6. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 42, "How Like a Woman Is a Mandolin".
7. Who is "Bunny" Warren and how does he arrive on the island?
8. Who is Antonia and what is Dr. Iannis' condition when he is finally allowed to return home?
9. How will events of the war alter the friendship between Corelli and Weber?
10. What is the general consensus of Hector by the men who are serving under him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the characters' needs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of music. Identify at least two instances about music in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Carlo. What did he look like? What is his life life? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)