|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city do the Germans bomb?
2. What does Dr. Iannis remind Pelagia of when speaking about her attraction to Corelli?
3. In what year are the Germans ordered to withdraw from the island?
4. How does Corelli punish the two soldiers?
5. What does Pelagia say when she realizes what she has done to Corelli?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pelagia filled with sorrow even though Corelli has survived the attempted execution by the Germans?
2. What project does Pelagia take on after her father's death?
3. Who does Antonia marry and what does she ultimately name the child she will have many years later?
4. What are some of the topics that Corelli and Weber talk about when they meet for the singing group?
5. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 42, "How Like a Woman Is a Mandolin".
6. How will events of the war alter the friendship between Corelli and Weber?
7. Explain what happens when an unexploded mine washes ashore near the village.
8. What unspeakable act is Gunter ordered to do by his commander, and what will happen to Gunter if he refuses to do it?
9. What does Dr. Iannis suggest that the villagers eat when food becomes scarce on the island?
10. What do Carlo and Corelli give to Dr. Iannis for safekeeping when they fear that their deaths may be imminent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest lesson Pelagia learns from her father? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Pelagia always recall about her father?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of music. Identify at least two instances about music in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and describe the lifestyles of the main characters. Where are they living? What work do they do? Where do they find joy? How do they reconcile their pasts?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)