|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a fireman see near Dr. Iannis' house during an earthquake aftershock?
2. Who does Pelagia ask to help Corelli escape from the island?
3. What does Dr. Iannis remind Pelagia of when speaking about her attraction to Corelli?
4. What type of business does Antonia open?
5. Who moves in with Pelagia after Dr. Iannis is taken away for being a Communist?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "Corelli's Mandolin". What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Gunter Weber. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Gunter's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)