|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the General in command of the Italian troops in Greece?
2. What kind of meat are Hector and his men roasting over a fire in Chapter 36?
3. Who moves in with Pelagia after Dr. Iannis is taken away for being a Communist?
4. Who has died in the earthquake on Cephallonia?
5. In what city has General Gandin congregated most of his forces?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Italian officers unhappy with their commander, General Grandin?
2. Describe some of the international aid coming to the island after the earthquake?
3. How does Captain Corelli punish the two soldiers who steal chickens from Kokolis?
4. What unspeakable act is Gunter ordered to do by his commander, and what will happen to Gunter if he refuses to do it?
5. Describe the circumstances in which Corelli and Pelagia part?
6. What does Dr. Iannis suggest that the villagers eat when food becomes scarce on the island?
7. When the Germans withdraw from the island, what does Gunter leave at the home of Dr. Iannis?
8. What do Carlo and Corelli give to Dr. Iannis for safekeeping when they fear that their deaths may be imminent?
9. Who is Antonia and what is Dr. Iannis' condition when he is finally allowed to return home?
10. How does Corelli turn Pelagia's kiss on the cheek into a comedic episode?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Louis de Bernieres is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Pelagia learns from her father? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Pelagia always recall about her father?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and describe the lifestyles of the main characters. Where are they living? What work do they do? Where do they find joy? How do they reconcile their pasts?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)