|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has died in the earthquake on Cephallonia?
2. What does Gunter Weber leave for Pelagia before leaving the island?
3. What does a fireman see near Dr. Iannis' house during an earthquake aftershock?
4. What reason does Gunter Weber give his commanding officer for not wanting to carry out the order in #133?
5. What do two Italian soldiers steal from Kokolis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the topics that Corelli and Weber talk about when they meet for the singing group?
2. What project does Pelagia take on after her father's death?
3. What unspeakable act is Gunter ordered to do by his commander, and what will happen to Gunter if he refuses to do it?
4. What is the general consensus of Hector by the men who are serving under him?
5. Who is "Bunny" Warren and how does he arrive on the island?
6. Who does Antonia marry and what does she ultimately name the child she will have many years later?
7. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 42, "How Like a Woman Is a Mandolin".
8. How has General Grandin put his men in jeopardy by believing the promises of the Germans?
9. How is Corelli saved from the execution site and what happens to the bodies of the other Italian soldiers?
10. What does Corelli do on his last day on the island and how does he ultimately leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Louis de Bernieres is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in "Corelli's Mandolin". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Gunter Weber. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Gunter's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)