|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The British officer decodes the German message to ____________________.
2. What does Pelagia do to Corelli when they pass in the doorway one day?
3. What does Gunter Weber leave for Pelagia before leaving the island?
4. Gunter leaves a photograph of ___________________ for Pelagia.
5. Where does Corelli instruct the villagers to stand to watch the removal of the item in #101?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the circumstances of the execution of the Italian soldiers and how Weber ultimately allows Corelli to live.
2. What is the general consensus of Hector by the men who are serving under him?
3. How has General Grandin put his men in jeopardy by believing the promises of the Germans?
4. What do Carlo and Corelli give to Dr. Iannis for safekeeping when they fear that their deaths may be imminent?
5. How is Corelli saved from the execution site and what happens to the bodies of the other Italian soldiers?
6. What are the circumstances in which Iannis gets Corelli's mandolin for lessons?
7. Why are the Italian officers unhappy with their commander, General Grandin?
8. When the Germans withdraw from the island, what does Gunter leave at the home of Dr. Iannis?
9. Who takes control of the island after the Germans leave, and why is Dr. Iannis taken away from their homes?
10. Who is "Bunny" Warren and how does he arrive on the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "Corelli's Mandolin". What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Gunter Weber. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Gunter's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of music. Identify at least two instances about music in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)