|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Duce?
2. Who is Mandras' mother?
3. With whom is Carlo Piero Guercio in love?
4. What is the name of the Italian unit occupying Cephallonia?
5. Dr. Iannis struggles to write a book about ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Mandras make after his recovery that upsets Pelagia?
2. Chapter 2 is a stream of consciousness monologue delivered by whom?
3. What is the first mention of Captain Corelli in the novel?
4. What does Dr. Iannis exchange for allowing Captain Corelli to stay in his home?
5. What do Carlo and Corelli give to Dr. Iannis for safekeeping when they fear that their deaths may be imminent?
6. In what ways has the war transformed the priest, Father Arsenios?
7. What is the content of the pamphlet released in Chapter 35?
8. Who is Carlo Piero Guercio and what does the author share about his personal life?
9. What unspeakable act is Gunter ordered to do by his commander, and what will happen to Gunter if he refuses to do it?
10. What are the circumstances in which Dr. Iannis asks Mandras about his intention to marry Pelagia?
Essay Topic 1
Fear takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the characters' needs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Dr. Iannis. What did he look like? What was his daily life like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 3
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of war. Identify at least two examples about war in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
This section contains 1,671 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)