|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Carlo to deliver a letter to his mother in the event of his death?
2. Who is the German soldier Corelli befriends?
3. Why does Pelagia assume that Mandras does not respond to her letters?
4. Who is the strongman who comes to town to perform an act?
5. Why does Pelagia leave Corelli at the table?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first mention of Captain Corelli in the novel?
2. How does the unlikely friendship between Gunter Weber and Captain Corelli begin?
3. Who is Father Arsenios and what event triggers his drunken binge?
4. What are the circumstances in which Dr. Iannis asks Mandras about his intention to marry Pelagia?
5. What is the setting of the book, and who are the main characters introduced in the first few chapters?
6. What are the circumstances in which Mandras joins the resistance fighters?
7. What decision does Mandras make after his recovery that upsets Pelagia?
8. How does Captain Corelli show his sense of humor as he marches into the village?
9. Who is Stamatis and what unusual request does he make of Dr. Iannis?
10. Describe Mandras' experience at war and his struggle to return home to Pelagia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Dr. Iannis. What did he look like? What was his daily life like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
"Corelli's Mandolin" is a classic example of an historical fiction story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Mandras and Captain Corelli. How are their circumstances similar? In what ways are their lives different? Why are they each attracted to Pelagia? What can each of them offer Pelagia that the other cannot? Could they have been friends if their circumstances were different?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)