Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Lt Col tells Hector to ________________________ or he will be cut off.
2. Why does Pelagia assume that Mandras does not respond to her letters?
3. What is notable about Father Arsenios?
4. What secret does Carlo Piero Guercio write about in his confession?
5. What is Mandras' job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Italian officers unhappy with their commander, General Grandin?
2. Explain the circumstances of the execution of the Italian soldiers and how Weber ultimately allows Corelli to live.
3. Who is Antonia and what is Dr. Iannis' condition when he is finally allowed to return home?
4. What is the content of the message delivered from Mussolini to the Prime Minister of Greece in Chapter 14?
5. Describe some of the international aid coming to the island after the earthquake?
6. How are Dr. Iannis and Pelagia conflicted about their feelings for Captain Corelli?
7. What does Dr. Iannis exchange for allowing Captain Corelli to stay in his home?
8. How does Captain Corelli punish the two soldiers who steal chickens from Kokolis?
9. What is the episode named in the title of Chapter 37, "An Episode Confirming Pelagia's Belief That Men Do Not Know the Difference Between Bravery and a Lack of Common Sense"?
10. Why is Hector called before the British officer, Lt. Col. Myers?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of love. Identify at least two instances about love in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Pelagia learns from her father? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Pelagia always recall about her father?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "Corelli's Mandolin". What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)