|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Fascist slogan on a propaganda pamphlet aimed against Mussolini?
2. Why does Pelagia leave Corelli at the table?
3. Why does the man in #18 want to be deaf again?
4. The Lt Col tells Hector to ________________________ or he will be cut off.
5. What makes Pelagia's opinion of Captain Corelli soften a little bit?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Pelagia care for Mandras when he returns from the fighting?
2. What is the first mention of Captain Corelli in the novel?
3. What are the circumstances in which Mandras joins the resistance fighters?
4. How does the unlikely friendship between Gunter Weber and Captain Corelli begin?
5. Who is Father Arsenios and what event triggers his drunken binge?
6. Who is Carlo Piero Guercio and what does the author share about his personal life?
7. What issues are prevalent for Pelagia and Mandras regarding their future together?
8. What are the circumstances in which Dr. Iannis asks Mandras about his intention to marry Pelagia?
9. What is the content of the pamphlet released in Chapter 35?
10. How are Dr. Iannis and Pelagia conflicted about their feelings for Captain Corelli?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Captain Corelli. What did he look like? What do we know about him? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Louis de Bernieres is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)