|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The deaf man pays Dr. Iannis for his services with food and __________________.
2. Who is the strongman who comes to town to perform an act?
3. What does Dr. Iannis teach Corelli to do?
4. Hector has been called before a British officer named ____________________.
5. What nationality is Carlo Piero Guercio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances in which Dr. Iannis asks Mandras about his intention to marry Pelagia?
2. How does Dr. Iannnis realize that an attraction is forming between Pelagia and Corelli?
3. Chapter 2 is a stream of consciousness monologue delivered by whom?
4. What is the content of the message delivered from Mussolini to the Prime Minister of Greece in Chapter 14?
5. Why is Hector called before the British officer, Lt. Col. Myers?
6. What is the setting of the book, and who are the main characters introduced in the first few chapters?
7. Why does Pelagia not recognize Mandras at first when he returns home?
8. What is the first mention of Captain Corelli in the novel?
9. Describe Mandras' experience at war and his struggle to return home to Pelagia.
10. Who is Carlo Piero Guercio and what does the author share about his personal life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and describe the lifestyles of the main characters. Where are they living? What work do they do? Where do they find joy? How do they reconcile their pasts?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Captain Corelli. What did he look like? What do we know about him? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in Greece during the 1950s. What precedents did these women feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? How were their lives significantly more difficult than the lives of 21st century women? How does Pelagia's life change from the beginning of the book to show her burgeoning independence?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)