|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Carlo to deliver a letter to his mother in the event of his death?
2. How is Pelagia connected to Dr. Iannis?
3. What is the rank of the person in #34?
4. Who is the Prime Minister of Greece?
5. How does Dr. Iannis try to pull Pelagia out of her depression of missing Mandras?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Iannis exchange for allowing Captain Corelli to stay in his home?
2. How does Carlo describe the fighting conditions in Greece and what does Carlo deliver to Francisco's mother for Francisco?
3. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 33, "A Problem with Hands"?
4. Who is Father Arsenios and what event triggers his drunken binge?
5. What does Pelagia think is the reason for Mandras' not sending her any letters, and what is the real reason for his lack of communication?
6. In what ways does Pelagia care for Mandras when he returns from the fighting?
7. What is the first mention of Captain Corelli in the novel?
8. Describe Mandras' experience at war and his struggle to return home to Pelagia.
9. Who is Stamatis and what unusual request does he make of Dr. Iannis?
10. How are Dr. Iannis and Pelagia conflicted about their feelings for Captain Corelli?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the characters' needs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "Corelli's Mandolin". What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mandras. What did he look like? What do we learn about him and his life? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)