|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the strongman who comes to town to perform an act?
2. What does Pelagia do when she comes up behind Corelli at the table?
3. What had Mandras carried with him as he made his way home from war?
4. What is Mandras' response when Dr. Iannis asks him if he intends to marry Pelagia?
5. Troops from which country are stationed near the Italian troops on the mainland opposite the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Stamatis and what unusual request does he make of Dr. Iannis?
2. Why is Hector called before the British officer, Lt. Col. Myers?
3. What are the circumstances in which Dr. Iannis asks Mandras about his intention to marry Pelagia?
4. What does Carlo tell Francisco's mother about Francisco's death and what was the reality of the situation?
5. What is the setting of the book, and who are the main characters introduced in the first few chapters?
6. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 33, "A Problem with Hands"?
7. What are the circumstances in which Mandras meets Pelagia and falls in love?
8. How does Dr. Iannnis realize that an attraction is forming between Pelagia and Corelli?
9. Chapter 2 is a stream of consciousness monologue delivered by whom?
10. How are Dr. Iannis and Pelagia conflicted about their feelings for Captain Corelli?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Captain Corelli. What did he look like? What do we know about him? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
"Corelli's Mandolin" is a classic example of an historical fiction story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of music. Identify at least two instances about music in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)