|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pelagia do when she comes up behind Corelli at the table?
2. Who is the young fisherman who is wounded when the strongman fires his cannon?
3. Which of the following do the villagers NOT bring to the priest as an apology for the strongman's actions?
4. Who is Mandras' mother?
5. When Mandras is well, he tells Pelagia that he is going to _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Stamatis and what unusual request does he make of Dr. Iannis?
2. Why does Pelagia not recognize Mandras at first when he returns home?
3. What is the content of the message delivered from Mussolini to the Prime Minister of Greece in Chapter 14?
4. How does Carlo describe the fighting conditions in Greece and what does Carlo deliver to Francisco's mother for Francisco?
5. Describe Mandras' experience at war and his struggle to return home to Pelagia.
6. What does Dr. Iannis exchange for allowing Captain Corelli to stay in his home?
7. What is the first mention of Captain Corelli in the novel?
8. In what ways does Pelagia care for Mandras when he returns from the fighting?
9. What does Pelagia think is the reason for Mandras' not sending her any letters, and what is the real reason for his lack of communication?
10. Chapter 2 is a stream of consciousness monologue delivered by whom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of love. Identify at least two instances about love in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
"Corelli's Mandolin" is a classic example of an historical fiction story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
What is the greatest lesson Pelagia learns from her father? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Pelagia always recall about her father?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)