|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the daughter of the Prime Minister of Greece?
2. Where does Francisco die?
3. What nationality is Dr. Iannis?
4. What task are Carlo and Francisco called to do?
5. Why does the man in #18 want to be deaf again?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carlo describe the fighting conditions in Greece and what does Carlo deliver to Francisco's mother for Francisco?
2. How does the unlikely friendship between Gunter Weber and Captain Corelli begin?
3. What are the circumstances in which Mandras joins the resistance fighters?
4. Chapter 2 is a stream of consciousness monologue delivered by whom?
5. How does Captain Corelli show his sense of humor as he marches into the village?
6. What is the content of the message delivered from Mussolini to the Prime Minister of Greece in Chapter 14?
7. Describe Mandras' experience at war and his struggle to return home to Pelagia.
8. What is the content of the pamphlet released in Chapter 35?
9. What do the villagers realize about the war in the Summer of 1940?
10. What does Dr. Iannis exchange for allowing Captain Corelli to stay in his home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest lesson Pelagia learns from her father? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Pelagia always recall about her father?
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in "Corelli's Mandolin". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Louis de Berneires' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)