|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the young fisherman who is wounded when the strongman fires his cannon?
2. Which of the following does NOT describe the fighting conditions in Greece?
3. When Mandras is well, he tells Pelagia that he is going to _________________________.
4. Where does the German soldier meet Corelli?
5. Who asks Carlo to deliver a letter to his mother in the event of his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 33, "A Problem with Hands"?
2. What are the circumstances in which Mandras joins the resistance fighters?
3. Who is Father Arsenios and what event triggers his drunken binge?
4. Describe what happens during the village feast, especially for Mandras and Pelagia.
5. How does Carlo describe the fighting conditions in Greece and what does Carlo deliver to Francisco's mother for Francisco?
6. What does Pelagia think is the reason for Mandras' not sending her any letters, and what is the real reason for his lack of communication?
7. How are Dr. Iannis and Pelagia conflicted about their feelings for Captain Corelli?
8. Why does Pelagia not recognize Mandras at first when he returns home?
9. Chapter 2 is a stream of consciousness monologue delivered by whom?
10. What is the content of the pamphlet released in Chapter 35?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of war. Identify at least two examples about war in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Louis de Bernieres is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of music. Identify at least two instances about music in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)