|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pelagia NOT know about Mandras?
2. What is notable about Father Arsenios?
3. How is Pelagia connected to Dr. Iannis?
4. Who is Mandras' mother?
5. How does Dr. Iannis try to pull Pelagia out of her depression of missing Mandras?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the villagers realize about the war in the Summer of 1940?
2. What is the first mention of Captain Corelli in the novel?
3. Chapter 2 is a stream of consciousness monologue delivered by whom?
4. What assumption had Corelli made when he had first seen Pelagia holding the young Antonia many years ago?
5. Who is Stamatis and what unusual request does he make of Dr. Iannis?
6. How does the novel end?
7. Explain the circumstances of the execution of the Italian soldiers and how Weber ultimately allows Corelli to live.
8. Who is Antonia and what is Dr. Iannis' condition when he is finally allowed to return home?
9. What advice does Dr. Iannis give separately to Pelagia and Corelli about their romance?
10. How are Dr. Iannis and Pelagia conflicted about their feelings for Captain Corelli?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of music. Identify at least two instances about music in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of war. Identify at least two examples about war in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 3
"Corelli's Mandolin" is a classic example of an historical fiction story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
This section contains 1,659 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)