|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret does Carlo Piero Guercio write about in his confession?
2. When Mandras is well, he tells Pelagia that he is going to _________________________.
3. Mandras has periods of ______________________ upon his return home.
4. Which of the following do the villagers NOT bring to the priest as an apology for the strongman's actions?
5. What makes Pelagia's opinion of Captain Corelli soften a little bit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Carlo Piero Guercio and what does the author share about his personal life?
2. What are the circumstances in which Mandras joins the resistance fighters?
3. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 33, "A Problem with Hands"?
4. Describe Mandras' experience at war and his struggle to return home to Pelagia.
5. Describe what happens during the village feast, especially for Mandras and Pelagia.
6. What is the content of the message delivered from Mussolini to the Prime Minister of Greece in Chapter 14?
7. Chapter 2 is a stream of consciousness monologue delivered by whom?
8. What issues are prevalent for Pelagia and Mandras regarding their future together?
9. What is the setting of the book, and who are the main characters introduced in the first few chapters?
10. What does Pelagia think is the reason for Mandras' not sending her any letters, and what is the real reason for his lack of communication?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of war. Identify at least two examples about war in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Fear takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the characters' needs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Louis de Berneires' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)