|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mussolini has decided to attack which country?
2. Who is the Prime Minister of Greece?
3. What is notable about Father Arsenios?
4. How does Dr. Iannis try to pull Pelagia out of her depression of missing Mandras?
5. Who does Pelagia see swimming naked and setting up a fishing net?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the unlikely friendship between Gunter Weber and Captain Corelli begin?
2. Why does Pelagia not recognize Mandras at first when he returns home?
3. Who is Carlo Piero Guercio and what does the author share about his personal life?
4. How does Captain Corelli show his sense of humor as he marches into the village?
5. What are the circumstances in which Mandras meets Pelagia and falls in love?
6. Why is Hector called before the British officer, Lt. Col. Myers?
7. What are the circumstances in which Mandras joins the resistance fighters?
8. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 33, "A Problem with Hands"?
9. Chapter 2 is a stream of consciousness monologue delivered by whom?
10. What are the circumstances in which Dr. Iannis asks Mandras about his intention to marry Pelagia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Pelagia. What did she look like? What was her life like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Dr. Iannis. What did he look like? What was his daily life like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in Greece during the 1950s. What precedents did these women feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? How were their lives significantly more difficult than the lives of 21st century women? How does Pelagia's life change from the beginning of the book to show her burgeoning independence?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)