|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Troops from which country are stationed near the Italian troops on the mainland opposite the island?
2. The deaf man pays Dr. Iannis for his services with food and __________________.
3. What task are Carlo and Francisco called to do?
4. What had the strongman done to Father Arsenios earlier in the day?
5. Which of the following does Carlo NOT tell Francisco's mother about Francisco's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Carlo Piero Guercio and what does the author share about his personal life?
2. What does Carlo tell Francisco's mother about Francisco's death and what was the reality of the situation?
3. How does Captain Corelli show his sense of humor as he marches into the village?
4. What issues are prevalent for Pelagia and Mandras regarding their future together?
5. What are the circumstances in which Dr. Iannis asks Mandras about his intention to marry Pelagia?
6. Chapter 2 is a stream of consciousness monologue delivered by whom?
7. How are Dr. Iannis and Pelagia conflicted about their feelings for Captain Corelli?
8. What does Dr. Iannis exchange for allowing Captain Corelli to stay in his home?
9. What is the content of the pamphlet released in Chapter 35?
10. What is the content of the message delivered from Mussolini to the Prime Minister of Greece in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the characters' needs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Pelagia. What did she look like? What was her life like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
Louis de Bernieres is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)