|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Carlo to deliver a letter to his mother in the event of his death?
2. Captain Corelli leads a group that sings every morning ____________________.
3. What do the Italian soldiers do as they pass by Pelagia?
4. Who does Pelagia see swimming naked and setting up a fishing net?
5. What is the name of the Italian unit occupying Cephallonia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carlo describe the fighting conditions in Greece and what does Carlo deliver to Francisco's mother for Francisco?
2. What are the circumstances in which Dr. Iannis asks Mandras about his intention to marry Pelagia?
3. What decision does Mandras make after his recovery that upsets Pelagia?
4. What does Carlo tell Francisco's mother about Francisco's death and what was the reality of the situation?
5. What is the first mention of Captain Corelli in the novel?
6. Describe what happens during the village feast, especially for Mandras and Pelagia.
7. What does Pelagia think is the reason for Mandras' not sending her any letters, and what is the real reason for his lack of communication?
8. What issues are prevalent for Pelagia and Mandras regarding their future together?
9. How does the unlikely friendship between Gunter Weber and Captain Corelli begin?
10. What is the setting of the book, and who are the main characters introduced in the first few chapters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Louis de Berneires' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in "Corelli's Mandolin". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)