|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Carlo NOT tell Francisco's mother about Francisco's death?
2. Why does the man in #18 want to be deaf again?
3. Captain Corelli leads a group that sings every morning ____________________.
4. What happens when Corelli catches Pelagia looking at him?
5. Pelagia is fascinated to watch Corelli __________________ at the table.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 33, "A Problem with Hands"?
2. In what ways does Pelagia care for Mandras when he returns from the fighting?
3. Describe what happens during the village feast, especially for Mandras and Pelagia.
4. What are the circumstances in which Mandras joins the resistance fighters?
5. What decision does Mandras make after his recovery that upsets Pelagia?
6. What issues are prevalent for Pelagia and Mandras regarding their future together?
7. Who is Father Arsenios and what event triggers his drunken binge?
8. What does Dr. Iannis exchange for allowing Captain Corelli to stay in his home?
9. Chapter 2 is a stream of consciousness monologue delivered by whom?
10. What does Carlo tell Francisco's mother about Francisco's death and what was the reality of the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Louis de Bernieres is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Dr. Iannis. What did he look like? What was his daily life like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)