|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mandras is well, he tells Pelagia that he is going to _________________________.
2. Who is the daughter of the Prime Minister of Greece?
3. What happens when Corelli catches Pelagia looking at him?
4. Pelagia is fascinated to watch Corelli __________________ at the table.
5. What is the Fascist slogan on a propaganda pamphlet aimed against Mussolini?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Stamatis and what unusual request does he make of Dr. Iannis?
2. What is the first mention of Captain Corelli in the novel?
3. What issues are prevalent for Pelagia and Mandras regarding their future together?
4. Why is Hector called before the British officer, Lt. Col. Myers?
5. What are the circumstances in which Dr. Iannis asks Mandras about his intention to marry Pelagia?
6. What is the content of the pamphlet released in Chapter 35?
7. Who is Carlo Piero Guercio and what does the author share about his personal life?
8. What are the circumstances in which Mandras meets Pelagia and falls in love?
9. What decision does Mandras make after his recovery that upsets Pelagia?
10. Who is Father Arsenios and what event triggers his drunken binge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Carlo. What did he look like? What is his life life? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
"Corelli's Mandolin" is a classic example of an historical fiction story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Louis de Bernieres is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)