|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mandras' job?
2. What does Pelagia NOT know about Mandras?
3. Where does the German soldier meet Corelli?
4. What do the Italian soldiers do as they pass by Pelagia?
5. Pelagia is fascinated to watch Corelli __________________ at the table.
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Mandras make after his recovery that upsets Pelagia?
2. Why is Hector called before the British officer, Lt. Col. Myers?
3. How does Dr. Iannnis realize that an attraction is forming between Pelagia and Corelli?
4. Describe Mandras' experience at war and his struggle to return home to Pelagia.
5. What is the content of the pamphlet released in Chapter 35?
6. What is the content of the message delivered from Mussolini to the Prime Minister of Greece in Chapter 14?
7. What does Carlo tell Francisco's mother about Francisco's death and what was the reality of the situation?
8. Chapter 2 is a stream of consciousness monologue delivered by whom?
9. What are the circumstances in which Dr. Iannis asks Mandras about his intention to marry Pelagia?
10. What issues are prevalent for Pelagia and Mandras regarding their future together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mandras. What did he look like? What do we learn about him and his life? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of love. Identify at least two instances about love in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Fear takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the characters' needs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)