|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mandras has periods of ______________________ upon his return home.
2. The deaf man pays Dr. Iannis for his services with food and __________________.
3. What do the Italian soldiers do as they pass by Pelagia?
4. What is Mandras' job?
5. What name has Corelli given to his mandolin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting of the book, and who are the main characters introduced in the first few chapters?
2. What are the circumstances in which Mandras meets Pelagia and falls in love?
3. What is the first mention of Captain Corelli in the novel?
4. How are Dr. Iannis and Pelagia conflicted about their feelings for Captain Corelli?
5. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 33, "A Problem with Hands"?
6. What is the content of the pamphlet released in Chapter 35?
7. Who is Father Arsenios and what event triggers his drunken binge?
8. What does Carlo tell Francisco's mother about Francisco's death and what was the reality of the situation?
9. What do the villagers realize about the war in the Summer of 1940?
10. How does Dr. Iannnis realize that an attraction is forming between Pelagia and Corelli?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the characters' needs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of music. Identify at least two instances about music in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and describe the lifestyles of the main characters. Where are they living? What work do they do? Where do they find joy? How do they reconcile their pasts?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)