|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who moves in with Pelagia after Dr. Iannis is taken away for being a Communist?
2. What does Gunter Weber leave for Pelagia before leaving the island?
(a) German books.
(b) Sweater and journal.
(c) Cigarette lighter.
(d) Phonograph player and records.
3. Who has died in the earthquake on Cephallonia?
(d) Dr. Iannis.
4. What does Pelagia say when she realizes what she has done to Corelli?
(a) Says that she is tired of him being in their house.
(b) Says that he had a certified letter.
(c) Says she thought he was her father.
(d) Says that she loves him.
5. What type of business does Drousula open?
(b) Gift shop.
(d) Beauty salon.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mandras die?
2. Why do Hector's men stay with him?
3. What does Drousula urge Pelagia to do to work through her depression over her father's death?
4. Why is Pelagia so distraught while at home?
5. Where is Corelli kept during his recovery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 42, "How Like a Woman Is a Mandolin".
2. Describe the circumstances in which Corelli and Pelagia part?
3. What are the circumstances in which Iannis gets Corelli's mandolin for lessons?
4. When the Germans withdraw from the island, what does Gunter leave at the home of Dr. Iannis?
5. Who does Antonia marry and what does she ultimately name the child she will have many years later?
6. Why are the Italian officers unhappy with their commander, General Grandin?
7. Explain what happens when an unexploded mine washes ashore near the village.
8. Describe some of the international aid coming to the island after the earthquake?
9. What advice does Dr. Iannis give separately to Pelagia and Corelli about their romance?
10. In what ways has the war transformed the priest, Father Arsenios?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)