|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dr. Iannis is a physician on the island of _________________.
2. Where does Dr. Iannis find the priest passed out in a pool of his own urine and vomit?
(a) In the town square.
(b) Behind a screen.
(c) At his office door.
(d) At the church door.
3. Who is supporting various Greek resistance groups?
(a) The Americans.
(b) The French.
(c) The Russians.
(d) The British.
4. Why is Pelagia startled when she arrives home one day?
(a) The door is bolted shut.
(b) A horse has wandered inside.
(c) There are quarantine signs posted.
(d) A crazed-looking man is sitting there.
5. What is Mandras' response when Dr. Iannis asks him if he intends to marry Pelagia?
(a) He is not in love with her yet.
(b) He is waiting to see what happens with the war.
(c) He has already asked her.
(d) He is not sure she will have him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Pelagia connected to Dr. Iannis?
2. What name has Corelli given to his mandolin?
3. What is the content of a telegram from Mussolini to Prime Minister Metaxas of Greece?
4. What is distressing for Pelagia after Mandras goes to war?
5. What is the rank of the person in #34?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the unlikely friendship between Gunter Weber and Captain Corelli begin?
2. What is the setting of the book, and who are the main characters introduced in the first few chapters?
3. What do Carlo and Corelli give to Dr. Iannis for safekeeping when they fear that their deaths may be imminent?
4. How will events of the war alter the friendship between Corelli and Weber?
5. Who is "Bunny" Warren and how does he arrive on the island?
6. In what ways has the war transformed the priest, Father Arsenios?
7. Who is Father Arsenios and what event triggers his drunken binge?
8. How does Corelli re-enter the story at the end?
9. What are some of the topics that Corelli and Weber talk about when they meet for the singing group?
10. What does Dr. Iannis exchange for allowing Captain Corelli to stay in his home?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)