|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe the fighting conditions in Greece?
(a) Lack of food.
(b) Extreme cold.
(c) Inadequate clothing.
2. What is the Fascist slogan on a propaganda pamphlet aimed against Mussolini?
(a) Fighting to Believe.
(b) Il Duce Rules.
(c) Mussolini's Nation of Believers.
(d) Believe, Fight, and Obey.
3. What does Pelagia do when she comes up behind Corelli at the table?
(a) Sings in his ear.
(b) Puts her hand on his shoulder.
(c) Puts her hands over his eyes.
(d) Sits down beside him.
4. Dr. Iannis is a physician on the island of _________________.
5. Which of the following does Carlo NOT tell Francisco's mother about Francisco's death?
(a) Francisco died on a bright day.
(b) Francisco was shot through the heart.
(c) Francisco whispered his mother's name as he died.
(d) Francisco stepped on a land mine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Mandras does not reply to Pelagia's letters?
2. Where does the German soldier meet Corelli?
3. Who is supporting various Greek resistance groups?
4. Why is Pelagia startled when she arrives home one day?
5. Mussolini has decided to attack which country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Stamatis and what unusual request does he make of Dr. Iannis?
2. Who is Father Arsenios and what event triggers his drunken binge?
3. Chapter 2 is a stream of consciousness monologue delivered by whom?
4. Why does Pelagia not recognize Mandras at first when he returns home?
5. What decision does Mandras make after his recovery that upsets Pelagia?
6. What are the circumstances in which Mandras meets Pelagia and falls in love?
7. What is the content of the pamphlet released in Chapter 35?
8. What is the content of the message delivered from Mussolini to the Prime Minister of Greece in Chapter 14?
9. What do the villagers realize about the war in the Summer of 1940?
10. Describe Mandras' experience at war and his struggle to return home to Pelagia.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)