|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mandras joins a group of young men who are ___________________.
2. What had the strongman done to Father Arsenios earlier in the day?
(a) Lifted him up onto a wall.
(b) Rolled him down a hill.
(c) Threw his hat into the air.
(d) Threw him into a pond.
3. What makes Pelagia's opinion of Captain Corelli soften a little bit?
(a) She sees him singing and playing his mandolin for some children.
(b) She sees his rescue a kitten from a tree.
(c) She sees him walking and talking with her father.
(d) She sees him playing with a little girl named Lemoni.
4. What demeanor does Pelagia have around Captain Corelli?
5. What happens on April 30, 1941?
(a) Dr. Iannis dies.
(b) World War II ends.
(c) Pelagia and Mandras get married.
(d) Italian troops occupy Cephallonia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pelagia find it difficult to do while Corelli is in the house?
2. What does Dr. Iannis teach Corelli to do?
3. Who is the patron saint of the island of Cephallonia?
4. What is the Fascist slogan on a propaganda pamphlet aimed against Mussolini?
5. Which of the following does NOT describe the fighting conditions in Greece?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Dr. Iannis and Pelagia conflicted about their feelings for Captain Corelli?
2. Why does Pelagia not recognize Mandras at first when he returns home?
3. What does Pelagia think is the reason for Mandras' not sending her any letters, and what is the real reason for his lack of communication?
4. What is the setting of the book, and who are the main characters introduced in the first few chapters?
5. Why is Hector called before the British officer, Lt. Col. Myers?
6. How does the unlikely friendship between Gunter Weber and Captain Corelli begin?
7. What do the villagers realize about the war in the Summer of 1940?
8. How does Captain Corelli show his sense of humor as he marches into the village?
9. Describe what happens during the village feast, especially for Mandras and Pelagia.
10. What decision does Mandras make after his recovery that upsets Pelagia?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)