|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Corelli ask of Dr. Iannis?
(a) To teach him how to speak some Greek words.
(b) To let him help make repairs around the house.
(c) To let him cook dinner sometimes.
(d) To let him court Pelagia.
2. Which of the following do the villagers NOT bring to the priest as an apology for the strongman's actions?
3. Why are the festivals in the town subdued?
(a) All the young men are gone.
(b) There are no festivals during the Lenten season.
(c) There have been budget cuts.
(d) Nothing much happens in the winter.
4. What is notable about Father Arsenios?
(a) He is an alcoholic.
(b) He is completely bald.
(c) He is tall and thin.
(d) He is obese and gluttonous.
5. Which of the following does NOT describe the fighting conditions in Greece?
(a) Extreme cold.
(b) Inadequate clothing.
(d) Lack of food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Dr Iannis see between Pelagia and Corelli?
2. Who is the patron saint of the island of Cephallonia?
3. Dr. Iannis is a physician on the island of _________________.
4. What makes Pelagia's opinion of Captain Corelli soften a little bit?
5. Why does Pelagia leave Corelli at the table?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Stamatis and what unusual request does he make of Dr. Iannis?
2. What is the first mention of Captain Corelli in the novel?
3. What are the circumstances in which Mandras meets Pelagia and falls in love?
4. Describe Mandras' experience at war and his struggle to return home to Pelagia.
5. What is the content of the message delivered from Mussolini to the Prime Minister of Greece in Chapter 14?
6. What is the setting of the book, and who are the main characters introduced in the first few chapters?
7. What are the circumstances in which Dr. Iannis asks Mandras about his intention to marry Pelagia?
8. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 33, "A Problem with Hands"?
9. What decision does Mandras make after his recovery that upsets Pelagia?
10. What are the circumstances in which Mandras joins the resistance fighters?
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)