|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who moves in with Pelagia after Dr. Iannis is taken away for being a Communist?
2. Who terrorizes the islanders after the Germans depart?
(a) Greek resistance members.
(b) Italian resistance members.
(c) French resistance members.
(d) Polish resisitance members.
3. What washes ashore near the village in Chapter 43?
(a) An abandoned ship.
(b) A dead body.
(c) An unexploded mine from World War I.
(d) A message in a bottle.
4. What does Corelli say about kissing Pelagia?
(a) He wants to kiss her everyday.
(b) He thought she was the doctor.
(c) He is in love with her.
(d) He has wanted to do that for a long time.
5. What does Corelli do on his last day before leaving the island?
(a) He spends it with Pelagia.
(b) He sleeps.
(c) He packs his belongings.
(d) He makes travel arrangements.
6. Why would Pelagia have to leave Greece if she were to marry Corelli?
(a) Greeks would not accept her Italian husband.
(b) Greek law requires that a married woman live in her husband's homeland.
(c) Officers wives must live close to the army base.
(d) She would have to live with Corelli's family.
7. What do the Germans do to the villagers trying to escape?
(a) Evacuate them.
(b) Shoot them.
(c) Torture them.
(d) Take them as prisoners.
8. Who has died in the earthquake on Cephallonia?
(d) Dr. Iannis.
9. What does Dr. Iannis tell Corelli about marrying Pelagia?
(a) She is betrothed to another man.
(b) She would have to remain in Cephallonia.
(c) She has a history of mental instability.
(d) She is too young to get married.
10. The British officer decodes the German message to ____________________.
(a) burn the town.
(b) dig trenches around the island.
(c) prepare to attack the Italians.
(d) evacuate from the island.
11. Corelli and the other Italian officers are frustrated with the General because _________________________.
(a) he has denied all three-day passes for his men.
(b) he has not tried to get better food for his men.
(c) he shows no leadership in anticipating potential conflict with the Germans.
(d) he lets his men march in old boots.
12. Dr. Iannis tells Corelli that if he marries Pelagia and remains in Greece he will never be successful at _______________.
(a) his music.
(b) the language.
(c) a military career.
(d) being a father.
13. What happens to Corelli after the dynamite blast?
(a) He is temporarily deaf.
(b) He loses a thumb.
(c) His legs are badly burned.
(d) He is blind in one eye.
14. Who accompanies the priest on his traveling mission?
(a) His dog.
(b) His brother.
(c) His secretary.
(d) An assistant priest.
15. What does Corelli do to seem more like a Greek man?
(a) Grows a beard.
(b) Dances Greek dances.
(c) Drinks a lot of ouzo.
(d) Learns to speak Greek.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year are the Germans ordered to withdraw from the island?
2. How old is Antonia when she declares that she wants to get married?
3. Who is decapitated by a piece of flying metal in Chapter 43?
4. What does Corelli suggest to his men as they realize they are being driven to a firing range to be executed?
5. What type of thoughts does Corelli have about Pelagia?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)