|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dr. Iannis struggles to write a book about ___________________.
(a) his medical practice.
(b) his daughter.
(c) the history of Cephallonia.
(d) Greek myths and legends.
2. The Lt Col tells Hector to ________________________ or he will be cut off.
(a) commandeer some boats.
(b) sign a loyalty oath.
(c) stop stealing from other groups.
(d) recruit more men.
3. Who asks Carlo to deliver a letter to his mother in the event of his death?
4. Where does Francisco die?
(a) In a meadow.
(b) In a military hospital.
(c) In a forest.
(d) In a muddy trench.
5. Which of the following is NOT a friend Dr. Iannis chats with at the village cafe?
6. Where does Dr. Iannis find the priest passed out in a pool of his own urine and vomit?
(a) At the church door.
(b) At his office door.
(c) Behind a screen.
(d) In the town square.
7. With whom is Carlo Piero Guercio in love?
8. What has the young girl, Lemoni, found caught in a barbed fence?
(a) A cat.
(b) A pine marten.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A raccoon.
9. What is distressing for Pelagia after Mandras goes to war?
(a) He is a prisoner of war.
(b) He has been very ill.
(c) He has been injured in battle.
(d) He does not respond to her letters.
10. Who is the German soldier Corelli befriends?
(a) Hans Weber.
(b) Friedrick Schwartz.
(c) Gunter Weber.
(d) Gunter Schmid.
11. Dr. Iannis is a physician on the island of _________________.
12. The deaf man pays Dr. Iannis for his services with food and __________________.
(c) olive oil.
13. What does Corelli do early in the mornings?
(a) Plays his mandolin.
(b) Fixes a big breakfast.
(d) Goes to church.
14. Who is the young fisherman who is wounded when the strongman fires his cannon?
15. Why is Pelagia startled when she arrives home one day?
(a) A crazed-looking man is sitting there.
(b) There are quarantine signs posted.
(c) The door is bolted shut.
(d) A horse has wandered inside.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following do the villagers NOT bring to the priest as an apology for the strongman's actions?
2. What does Pelagia do when she comes up behind Corelli at the table?
3. Who is the daughter of the Prime Minister of Greece?
4. Who helps Pelagia bathe and tend to Mandras?
5. What had Mandras carried with him as he made his way home from war?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)