|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Dr. Iannis find the priest passed out in a pool of his own urine and vomit?
(a) Behind a screen.
(b) In the town square.
(c) At his office door.
(d) At the church door.
2. What do the Italian soldiers do as they pass by Pelagia?
(a) Whistle at her.
(b) Pretend they don't see her.
(c) Make funny faces.
(d) Sing very loudly.
3. Which of the following is NOT a friend Dr. Iannis chats with at the village cafe?
4. What had Mandras carried with him as he made his way home from war?
(a) A map.
(b) Pelagia's letters.
(c) A flask.
(d) A flag.
5. The Lt Col tells Hector to ________________________ or he will be cut off.
(a) commandeer some boats.
(b) stop stealing from other groups.
(c) sign a loyalty oath.
(d) recruit more men.
6. What has the young girl, Lemoni, found caught in a barbed fence?
(a) A raccoon.
(b) A cat.
(c) A pine marten.
(d) A rabbit.
7. What makes Pelagia's opinion of Captain Corelli soften a little bit?
(a) She sees him walking and talking with her father.
(b) She sees his rescue a kitten from a tree.
(c) She sees him playing with a little girl named Lemoni.
(d) She sees him singing and playing his mandolin for some children.
8. What animal does the man in #76 steal from a villager?
9. Who is the German soldier Corelli befriends?
(a) Friedrick Schwartz.
(b) Gunter Schmid.
(c) Hans Weber.
(d) Gunter Weber.
10. What had the strongman done to Father Arsenios earlier in the day?
(a) Rolled him down a hill.
(b) Threw his hat into the air.
(c) Lifted him up onto a wall.
(d) Threw him into a pond.
11. Why are the festivals in the town subdued?
(a) There have been budget cuts.
(b) There are no festivals during the Lenten season.
(c) All the young men are gone.
(d) Nothing much happens in the winter.
12. Why does Mandras require Dr. Iannis' help after falling out of a tree.
(a) He broke an arm.
(b) He injured his back.
(c) He has shards of pottery stuck in his backside.
(d) He has broken a leg.
13. Who is the leader of the group of thugs which Mandras joins?
14. Why does the man in #18 want to be deaf again?
(a) He can hear the pounding of the waves against the rocks.
(b) He can hear his wife's nagging too clearly now.
(c) He can hear the dogs barking at night keeping him awake.
(d) He can hear how his wife sings off key.
15. What is notable about Father Arsenios?
(a) He is an alcoholic.
(b) He is obese and gluttonous.
(c) He is completely bald.
(d) He is tall and thin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mandras' response when Dr. Iannis asks him if he intends to marry Pelagia?
2. What is distressing for Pelagia after Mandras goes to war?
3. When Mandras is well, he tells Pelagia that he is going to _________________________.
4. Which of the following does Carlo NOT tell Francisco's mother about Francisco's death?
5. What happens on April 30, 1941?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)