|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Mandras think he and Pelagia could get married?
(a) When her father gives permission.
(b) When he saves more money.
(c) When he comes back from the war.
(d) When she is a little older.
2. What is notable about Father Arsenios?
(a) He is an alcoholic.
(b) He is obese and gluttonous.
(c) He is completely bald.
(d) He is tall and thin.
3. What is Mandras' response when Dr. Iannis asks him if he intends to marry Pelagia?
(a) He is waiting to see what happens with the war.
(b) He is not in love with her yet.
(c) He is not sure she will have him.
(d) He has already asked her.
4. Who is the Prime Minister of Greece?
5. How does Dr. Iannis try to pull Pelagia out of her depression of missing Mandras?
(a) He sends her on a little vacation.
(b) He makes her angry at him.
(c) He lets her redecorate the house.
(d) He gives her money to go shopping.
6. Which of the following does Carlo NOT tell Francisco's mother about Francisco's death?
(a) Francisco whispered his mother's name as he died.
(b) Francisco died on a bright day.
(c) Francisco was shot through the heart.
(d) Francisco stepped on a land mine.
7. Dr. Iannis cures a village man's deafness by removing a _______________ that had been stuck in his ear since childhood.
8. How is Pelagia connected to Dr. Iannis?
(a) She is his wife.
(b) She is his daughter.
(c) She is his patient.
(d) She is his sister.
9. What does Corelli do early in the mornings?
(b) Plays his mandolin.
(c) Fixes a big breakfast.
(d) Goes to church.
10. Why does Pelagia assume that Mandras does not respond to her letters?
(a) He is no longer interested in her.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He is not receiving her letters.
(d) He cannot read.
11. What happens when Corelli catches Pelagia looking at him?
(a) They quickly look away.
(b) They have a staring contest.
(c) He yells at her.
(d) He leaves the house.
12. Which of the following is NOT a friend Dr. Iannis chats with at the village cafe?
13. Pelagia is fascinated to watch Corelli __________________ at the table.
(a) write letters.
(b) compose music.
(c) shop vegetables.
(d) talk to her father.
14. Which of Pelagia's animals has eaten Dr. Iannis' manuscript?
(a) A cow.
(b) A goat.
(c) A dog.
(d) A horse.
15. Hector has been called before a British officer named ____________________.
(a) Lt-Col Myers.
(b) Lt-Col Marsden.
(c) Lt-Col Mason.
(d) Lt-Col Middleton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name has Corelli given to his mandolin?
2. Mandras plans to volunteer for the _______________ army.
3. Who is Mandras' mother?
4. Who asks Carlo to deliver a letter to his mother in the event of his death?
5. What nationality is Dr. Iannis?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)