|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Mandras think he and Pelagia could get married?
(a) When he saves more money.
(b) When her father gives permission.
(c) When he comes back from the war.
(d) When she is a little older.
2. Who is Mandras' mother?
3. Hector has been called before a British officer named ____________________.
(a) Lt-Col Middleton.
(b) Lt-Col Myers.
(c) Lt-Col Marsden.
(d) Lt-Col Mason.
4. What nationality is Dr. Iannis?
5. Why is Pelagia startled when she arrives home one day?
(a) A crazed-looking man is sitting there.
(b) A horse has wandered inside.
(c) The door is bolted shut.
(d) There are quarantine signs posted.
6. Who is the young fisherman who is wounded when the strongman fires his cannon?
7. Who leads the troop of Italian soldiers into Cephallonia?
(b) Major Andreas.
(c) Captain Angeles.
(d) Captain Corelli.
8. What is the Fascist slogan on a propaganda pamphlet aimed against Mussolini?
(a) Believe, Fight, and Obey.
(b) Il Duce Rules.
(c) Fighting to Believe.
(d) Mussolini's Nation of Believers.
9. What does Pelagia find it difficult to do while Corelli is in the house?
(a) To clean quietly.
(b) To study.
(c) Not to sing.
(d) Not stare at him.
10. Who is the strongman who comes to town to perform an act?
11. Why does Pelagia leave Corelli at the table?
(a) Her father calls her to come outside.
(b) She is embarrassed by her actions.
(c) The pine marten scratches at the door.
(d) A patient has come to see her father.
12. Mandras has periods of ______________________ upon his return home.
13. What happens on April 30, 1941?
(a) World War II ends.
(b) Dr. Iannis dies.
(c) Pelagia and Mandras get married.
(d) Italian troops occupy Cephallonia.
14. Where does the German soldier meet Corelli?
(a) A lighthouse.
(b) The beach.
(c) A cafe.
(d) A church.
15. What nationality is Carlo Piero Guercio?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dr. Iannis try to pull Pelagia out of her depression of missing Mandras?
2. Who is the German soldier Corelli befriends?
3. Mandras plans to volunteer for the _______________ army.
4. Who asks Carlo to deliver a letter to his mother in the event of his death?
5. What does Corelli ask of Dr. Iannis?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)