|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has the young girl, Lemoni, found caught in a barbed fence?
(a) A pine marten.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A raccoon.
(d) A cat.
2. Why does Pelagia leave Corelli at the table?
(a) Her father calls her to come outside.
(b) A patient has come to see her father.
(c) The pine marten scratches at the door.
(d) She is embarrassed by her actions.
3. The deaf man pays Dr. Iannis for his services with food and __________________.
(d) olive oil.
4. What is notable about Father Arsenios?
(a) He is completely bald.
(b) He is obese and gluttonous.
(c) He is an alcoholic.
(d) He is tall and thin.
5. What is distressing for Pelagia after Mandras goes to war?
(a) He does not respond to her letters.
(b) He has been very ill.
(c) He has been injured in battle.
(d) He is a prisoner of war.
6. What is the Fascist slogan on a propaganda pamphlet aimed against Mussolini?
(a) Il Duce Rules.
(b) Mussolini's Nation of Believers.
(c) Fighting to Believe.
(d) Believe, Fight, and Obey.
7. What animal does the man in #76 steal from a villager?
8. Mussolini has decided to attack which country?
9. Who is the patron saint of the island of Cephallonia?
(a) St. Sebastian.
(b) St. Theodoros.
(c) St. Gerasimos.
(d) St. Anne.
10. What do the Italian soldiers do as they pass by Pelagia?
(a) Make funny faces.
(b) Sing very loudly.
(c) Whistle at her.
(d) Pretend they don't see her.
11. Who is the leader of the group of thugs which Mandras joins?
12. What name has Corelli given to his mandolin?
13. What has Dr. Iannis told Mandras that worries Pelagia?
(a) That she is healthier than she really is.
(b) That she will have no dowry.
(c) That she has less education than he said.
(d) That she is younger than she really is.
14. Why does the man in #18 want to be deaf again?
(a) He can hear the pounding of the waves against the rocks.
(b) He can hear his wife's nagging too clearly now.
(c) He can hear how his wife sings off key.
(d) He can hear the dogs barking at night keeping him awake.
15. What is Mandras' job?
(c) Wine maker.
(d) Ship builder.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Duce?
2. Why does Pelagia assume that Mandras does not respond to her letters?
3. What happens when Corelli catches Pelagia looking at him?
4. Which of the following do the villagers NOT bring to the priest as an apology for the strongman's actions?
5. When Mandras is well, he tells Pelagia that he is going to _________________________.
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)