Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting of the book, and who are the main characters introduced in the first few chapters?
2. Chapter 2 is a stream of consciousness monologue delivered by whom?
3. Who is Carlo Piero Guercio and what does the author share about his personal life?
4. What are the circumstances in which Mandras meets Pelagia and falls in love?
5. Who is Father Arsenios and what event triggers his drunken binge?
6. Who is Stamatis and what unusual request does he make of Dr. Iannis?
7. What are the circumstances in which Dr. Iannis asks Mandras about his intention to marry Pelagia?
8. What do the villagers realize about the war in the Summer of 1940?
9. What issues are prevalent for Pelagia and Mandras regarding their future together?
10. Describe what happens during the village feast, especially for Mandras and Pelagia.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)