|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part Four, what future does Cato foresee for Myna?
2. How old does Mrs. Derby seem to be?
3. What is the reader's first hint at Polly's character in Part Two?
4. Which fact is true about Polly's father?
5. Where did Polly grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kwasi want to "look a giraffe in the eye" (1)?
2. How does Clay attempt to connect with Amari? Why are his attempts unsuccessful?
3. Why does Cato tell Teenie to let Tidbit go in Part Six?
4. What does Amari insist that Polly call her? What does this prove?
5. What is so disturbing about Mr. Derby's purchase of Amari in Part Two?
6. What does Besa tell Amari about his love of the drums?
7. How does Clay feel about his stepmother?
8. Desribe the planting of rice.
9. How are Amari and Isabelle Derby able to connect?
10. Why do Polly and Amari end up serving dinner at the main house in Part Four?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the events that instill within Amari the ability to fight for her freedom?
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, examine Amari's statement that, "freedom not big. Freedom not pretty...but freedom sure do feel good" (284).
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast slavery and indentured servanthood.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)