|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Tidbit?
2. Which of the following is a simile that describes how the slaves are arranged below deck?
3. How long is Polly's indenture sentence?
4. Why does Mr. Derby prefer that his slaves be fresh from Africa?
5. What further punishment does Mr. Derby give Myna after her whipping?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Mr. Derby prefers to purchase African men.
2. How are indentured servants similar to slaves? How are they also very different?
3. Why will Besa not make eye contact with Amari after the white men slaughter the Ewe tribe?
4. How do Polly and Amari react toward each other in Part Two when they are first partnered at the Derby Farm?
5. Why do Polly and Amari end up serving dinner at the main house in Part Four?
6. Describe Mr. Derby's view of the institution of slavery.
7. Why is the life expectancy of a slave about five years?
8. What do Mr. Derby and Clay discuss over dinner in Part Four?
9. Desribe the planting of rice.
10. What does Besa tell Amari about his love of the drums?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What experiences change Polly from a racist to an advocate for slaves?
Essay Topic 2
Contrast Noah and Mr. Derby and the way they treat Isabelle.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast slavery and indentured servanthood.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)