|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the mother and daughter who jumped from the small boat?
2. What will remove the blood and blackberry stains from the carpet in Part 4?
3. How long is Polly's indenture sentence?
4. How does Noah passively show the Derbies that he is unhappy with their treatment of Amari?
5. What further punishment does Mr. Derby give Myna after her whipping?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Besa tell Amari about his love of the drums?
2. How is Mrs. Derby able to get her husband to stop the beating of Myna?
3. Why does Cato tell Teenie to let Tidbit go in Part Six?
4. How does Polly react when she is informed that her role will be to "civilize" Amari?
5. Describe the plan for freedom that Cato, Teenie, Polly and Amari discuss in Part Six.
6. Why does Amari not want to spin thread in Part One?
7. Describe Isabelle and Noah's love story.
8. Why do Polly and Amari end up serving dinner at the main house in Part Four?
9. Why will Besa not make eye contact with Amari after the white men slaughter the Ewe tribe?
10. What do Mr. Derby and Clay discuss over dinner in Part Four?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of the white perfection of the Derbyshire Farm.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the text, women are provided very little power or opportunity for a voice. However, women actually have the greatest impact on the outcomes of the novel. In an essay, explore how one or more of the women create the greatest impact.
Essay Topic 3
In an essay, detail the process Teenie undergoes as she changes her opinion that "death is not for me to give" (113).
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)