|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comment does Polly make in Part Ten about Amari's love for Tidbit?
(a) She says they must return Tidbit to Teenie if the boy is to survive.
(b) She says that they need to leave Tidbit to make better time.
(c) She says that Amari needs to forget her promise to Teenie and sell Tidbit the first chance they get.
(d) She says that Amari should be Tidbit's mother from now on.
2. What does Nathan tell Polly, Tidbit and Amari about Fort Mose?
(a) That it was recently captured by the Confederates.
(b) That slavery is just as prominent there as anywhere else.
(c) That he has never heard of it.
(d) That it is a real place of freedom.
3. What does King Philip want from the citizens of Fort Mose?
(a) Catholic converts.
(b) Protection for St. Augustine.
(c) Communal living.
(d) Indentured servanthood.
4. Who intercepts Polly, Tidbit and Amari before they make it to the gate?
5. When Amari realizes that Fort Mose is not huge or paved with gold, what does she say?
(a) Freedom without ease is worthless.
(b) Freedom feels blessed, no matter its appearance.
(c) Freedom is only worth the fight if it is beautiful.
(d) Freedom should reflect its value.
Short Answer Questions
1. As it is revealed in Part Eleven, why has Amari been so tired and sick throughout their journey?
2. Who finds the children in the abandoned hunting shack in Part Nine?
3. Aside from a chance to escape, what other gift does the doctor give Polly, Tidbit and Amari in Part Seven?
4. When Tidbit realizes in Part Eleven he will not be able to return to Teenie, what request does he make of Amari?
5. How do the children cross the St. Mary's River in Part Eleven?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Hoskins feel so guilty in Part Seven?
2. What has Besa suffered since being sold into slavery, as shown in Part Nine?
3. What does Inez mean when she says, "Troubles never be over chile...but it be good to share them with friends" (288)?
4. What may happen to Clay at the end of Part Seven?
5. Explain the anger that both Amari and Polly feel in relation to their food poisoning.
6. Is Fiona O'Reilly brave in her decision to help the children?
7. What choice does Polly have in the decision to go north or south in Part Seven?
8. How does Amari comfort Tidbit when he realizes in Part Eleven that he will most likely never see his mother again?
9. Why is Polly attracted to Nathan?
10. Detail Polly's description of freedom.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)