|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Clay communicate with Myna after the beating by Mr. Derby?
(a) By sending her candy.
(b) By sending for her nightly.
(c) By visiting with her daily.
(d) By delivering daily love letters.
2. Which is NOT true about Teenie's kente cloth?
(a) It was her mother's.
(b) It had been buried on the plantation for years.
(c) It was just a tiny scrap.
(d) Willie Badgett gave it to her.
3. Why does Mr. Derby lash Myna with the whip?
(a) She trips over his legs.
(b) She is insubordinate.
(c) She spills wine in his lap.
(d) She speaks up against slavery.
4. What is the name of the large city to which the slaves are brought in Part One?
(a) Cape Coast.
5. How will Polly, Tidbit and Amari get rid of Clay as they journey toward freedom?
(a) Teenie asks Cato to give him some special seeds.
(b) They will kill him in the morning.
(c) They know he is too lazy to go on this journey.
(d) They will tell him he should watch Isabelle instead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the sailor in Part One seem to have chosen Amari?
2. Which sailor chooses Amari for the first night?
3. How many wives does the chief elder of the Ewes have?
4. Whom does Mr. Derby NOT plan to sell in Part Six?
5. Where does the ship in Part One ultimately take the captures Ewe people?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are indentured servants similar to slaves? How are they also very different?
2. Describe the relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Derby (as recounted by Teenie in Part Three).
3. How does Clay attempt to connect with Amari? Why are his attempts unsuccessful?
4. What is important about the amount of time the slaves are given to help Hildy after she is bitten by a snake?
5. What does Besa tell Amari about his love of the drums?
6. What is the order of power in the Derby household?
7. How do Polly and Amari plan to protect Mrs. Derby's baby?
8. Describe the plan for freedom that Cato, Teenie, Polly and Amari discuss in Part Six.
9. Who is the first Ewe tribe member to die on the march in Part One, and how is this death handled?
10. What does Amari insist that Polly call her? What does this prove?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)