|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year is this novel set?
2. What foods does Teenie make that remind Amari of Africa?
(a) Mashed potatoes and vegetable soup.
(b) Peach pie and Hoppin' John.
(c) Hoppin' John and yams.
(d) Fish stew and yams.
3. How does Clay respond when one of his friends touches Myna in Part Five?
(a) With pride.
(b) With sadness.
(c) With regret.
(d) With anger.
4. Which of the following is NOT a cause of death during the death march?
(a) Blood loss.
5. What is Polly reading when she is introduced in the novel in Part Two?
(a) The documentation of her indentured status.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) Her freedom papers.
(d) A wanted sign.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part Four, what future does Cato foresee for Myna?
2. About whom does Kwasi tease Amari in Part One?
3. What request does Mrs. Derby make of Polly and Amari in Part Six?
4. If Polly were allowed to work in the big house, where does she envision spending her time?
5. Where does the ship in Part One ultimately take the captures Ewe people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Polly hope to gain from her time at the Derby farm?
2. Why does Cato tell Teenie to let Tidbit go in Part Six?
3. How do Polly and Amari react toward each other in Part Two when they are first partnered at the Derby Farm?
4. How does Clay attempt to connect with Amari? Why are his attempts unsuccessful?
5. Explain why Mr. Derby prefers to purchase African men.
6. Why does Clay come to Teenie's cottage in Part Five?
7. How does Clay feel about his stepmother?
8. Who are Amari's nurses after the beating from Mr. Derby? How does each woman contribute to Amari's healing?
9. What is the order of power in the Derby household?
10. How does Mr. Derby intend to punish the servants who are involved in trying to hide Mrs. Derby's baby?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)