|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT a typical cause of death for a slave?
(b) Old age.
2. Which sailor chooses Amari for the first night?
(a) A young soldier named John.
(b) Two separate soldiers.
(c) One of the Ashanti soldiers.
(d) The red-headed man.
3. When the Derby men discuss purchasing more slaves in Part Four, Polly thinks it is almost like they are talking about which of the following?
(a) Buying livestock.
(b) Getting a tooth pulled.
(c) Eating candy.
(d) Going to a funeral.
4. After Mr. Derby finds out about Isabelle's baby, where will Polly's indenture be sold?
(a) To a farm in Florida.
(b) To a brothel in New Orleans.
(c) To a friend in Georgia.
(d) To a tea plantation nearby.
5. Which slave is given Isabelle's baby to care for?
(a) Sarah Jane.
6. What does Teenie's cooking make both Polly and Amari think about in Part Two?
(a) Their love for Clay Derby.
(b) Their mothers' cooking.
(c) Their chances of escape.
(d) The recipes they once made.
7. Why might Afi be drawn to Amari?
(a) Amari has special privileges from the guards.
(b) Afi is from Amari's village.
(c) Afi had a daughter Amari's age.
(d) Amari has access to food.
8. Which of the following is NOT true about Polly's mother?
(a) She wanted a simple life for Polly.
(b) She was an orphan.
(c) She had trouble getting paid work because of the reliance on slave labor.
(d) She loved Polly's father.
9. What color is the house at Derbyshire Farms?
10. How does Clay respond when one of his friends touches Myna in Part Five?
(a) With regret.
(b) With anger.
(c) With sadness.
(d) With pride.
11. Why does Mr. Derby come to the kitchen one morning in Part Six?
(a) He wants to use Tidbit as bait again.
(b) Mrs. Derby is in labor.
(c) He wants to bring Myna to Clay.
(d) He needs dinner service that night.
12. What does "indentured" mean for Polly?
(a) She must work for a number of years to pay off debts.
(b) She is a paid worker for families who need cleaning.
(c) She is missing many teeth.
(d) She is the daughter of Mr. Derby.
13. What is Polly reading when she is introduced in the novel in Part Two?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) The documentation of her indentured status.
(c) A wanted sign.
(d) Her freedom papers.
14. Why does the sailor in Part One seem to have chosen Amari?
(a) For sexual gratification.
(b) To help her.
(c) To be a missionary to her.
(d) For companionship.
15. When Clay tells Amari in Part Five to watch how she speaks to him, what is her response?
(a) "Stop" (160).
(b) "You will live" (161).
(c) "Be brave" (159).
(d) "Yassuh" (162).
Short Answer Questions
1. What foods does Teenie make that remind Amari of Africa?
2. What happens to the mother and daughter who jumped from the small boat?
3. What advice does Afi give Amari about Besa?
4. Where is Clay taking Tidbit and Myna in Part Five?
5. Which of the following is NOT an example of onomatopoeia?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)