|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Teenie not know her exact age?
(a) Slaves' birthdays often were not recorded.
(b) She has never cared about age.
(c) She is too young to be aware of her age.
(d) Her mother taught her that a woman should never tell her age.
2. How does Clay communicate with Myna after the beating by Mr. Derby?
(a) By delivering daily love letters.
(b) By sending her candy.
(c) By sending for her nightly.
(d) By visiting with her daily.
3. Who is the father of Isabelle's baby?
4. When Bill is not around to protect her in Part One, what happens to Amari?
(a) She is raped by multiple men.
(b) She is forced to starve.
(c) She misses him.
(d) She is unable to bathe.
5. Which of the following is a simile that describes how the slaves are arranged below deck?
(a) "Stacked like logs" (43)
(b) "Slimy with waste" (43)
(c) "Their feet were locked in leg irons" (43).
(d) "The air in this place seemed to have been sucked out" (43)
6. Why does Clay come into Teenie's kitchen one day in Part Five?
(a) To get help for Mrs. Derby.
(b) To check on Myna.
(c) To take Tidbit.
(d) To compliment Teenie's cooking.
7. How old is Amari when she makes it to the auction block?
8. What sounds does Amari hear one night as she walks along the path to Teenie's kitchen in Part Three?
(a) The sounds of hound dogs searching the fields.
(b) The voice of Clay Derby calling for her.
(c) A tense conversation between an unnamed man and woman.
(d) Polly crying over the deaths of her parents.
9. What do Amari and Isabelle Derby have in common?
(a) They both love to read.
(b) They are both good cooks.
(c) They are both of Ewe descent.
(d) They are both controlled by the Derby men.
10. Which of the following does NOT occur when the women are brought up on deck of the ship in Part One?
(a) They have water thrown on them.
(b) They are fed.
(c) They are mocked.
(d) They are made to feel comfortable.
11. Why is Polly chosen to stop the doctor in Part Six?
(a) Since she is white, she can leave the farm.
(b) Since she was there at the birth, she needs to deliver the news.
(c) Since she knows the doctor, she can persuade him best.
(d) Since she knows the terrain, she can find him easily.
12. How many villagers survived the killing field in Part One?
13. What does Polly tell Myna once the girls awakens in Part 5 after being beaten by Mr. Derby?
(a) That she has missed her.
(b) That the infection might prove fatal.
(c) That she got what she deserved.
(d) That she was unable to get the stains out of the rug.
14. How does Clay respond when one of his friends touches Myna in Part Five?
(a) With anger.
(b) With regret.
(c) With pride.
(d) With sadness.
15. What happens to Hildy?
(a) She is bitten by a copperhead.
(b) She dies of starvation.
(c) She is attacked by an alligator.
(d) She drowns in the rice paddy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mr. Derby NOT plan to sell in Part Six?
2. What type of root does Amari ask Teenie to show her in Part Three?
3. Where did Polly grow up?
4. What is the nature of Besa and Amari's relationship?
5. What is the name of the large city to which the slaves are brought in Part One?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)