|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Six: Polly.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Mr. Derby finds out about Isabelle's baby, where will Polly's indenture be sold?
(a) To a farm in Florida.
(b) To a brothel in New Orleans.
(c) To a tea plantation nearby.
(d) To a friend in Georgia.
2. What "skill" does Amari possess that makes her valuable?
(a) She has a demonstrated ability to cook.
(b) Men want to use slaves for sexual gratification.
(c) She is built for strong work.
(d) She is a skilled cloth weaver.
3. How did Isabelle and Noah fall in love?
(a) They grew up together.
(b) They went to school together.
(c) They fell in love at an auction.
(d) They met at church.
4. Why does Teenie understand Amari's love of Africa?
(a) Teenie's mother was African.
(b) Teenie was also stolen from a Ewe village.
(c) Teenie has heard all the slaves talk of Africa.
(d) Teenie has read many books on Africa.
5. What role does Besa play in the celebration in Part One?
(a) He plays drums.
(b) He welcomes the guests.
(c) He stands by silently.
(d) He serves the food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the large city to which the slaves are brought in Part One?
2. How much space does each slave have below deck on the ship?
3. When Clay tells Amari in Part Five to watch how she speaks to him, what is her response?
4. What is the price paid for Amari at the slave auction?
5. What is the cause of Isabelle's concern over her baby?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)