|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Five: Amari.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is NOT true about Teenie's kente cloth?
(a) It had been buried on the plantation for years.
(b) Willie Badgett gave it to her.
(c) It was just a tiny scrap.
(d) It was her mother's.
2. Which of the following is a metaphor to describe the kente cloth?
(a) "My little breath of Africa" (114).
(b) "This little piece of it came off in her hand" (114).
(c) "She clutched it all the way 'cross the big water" (114).
(d) "She buried it not far from that tree yonder" (114).
3. How long does Amari fight the pain and possible infection of the beating by Mr. Derby?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) One day.
(c) One week.
(d) Three days.
4. How do the white people at the slave auction in Part One act toward the slaves?
(a) With intense interest.
(b) With cool detachment.
(c) With utter hatred.
(d) With extreme pity.
5. If Polly were allowed to work in the big house, where does she envision spending her time?
(a) The porch.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The library.
(d) The bedroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the large city to which the slaves are brought in Part One?
2. Why does Mr. Derby prefer that his slaves be fresh from Africa?
3. Why does Clay take Myna on his hunting trip in Part Five?
4. How does Mr. Derby make his wealth?
5. What might be the function of the story of Chief Agokoli?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)