|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Two: Polly.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Amari when she makes it to the auction block?
2. Why does Amari choose to focus on "learning the language of the white man" (54)?
(a) To help herself.
(b) So the men will not beat her.
(c) So she can work on self-improvement.
(d) To make the sailor happy.
3. Why are the slaves quarantined on Sullivan's Island?
(a) To allow Tybee the time he needs to train them.
(b) To allow the slaves to rest after their journey.
(c) To provide them a safe place.
(d) To rule out any diseases.
4. How much space does each slave have below deck on the ship?
(a) A few inches on either side.
(b) A full foot of space.
(c) A room with a bed and a washbasin.
(d) A room about the size of a bathroom.
5. How did Polly's parents die?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the woman whom Amari befriends in the holding area know so much about what is to come for the newly-captured Ewe people?
2. What is the Ewe tribe's kente cloth design?
3. What "skill" does Amari possess that makes her valuable?
4. What is classified as women's work in the Ewe tribe?
5. What is NOT a characteristic of the captives' shackles in Part One?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)