|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Ten: Polly.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which sailor chooses Amari for the first night?
(a) A young soldier named John.
(b) The red-headed man.
(c) Two separate soldiers.
(d) One of the Ashanti soldiers.
2. How old does Mrs. Derby seem to be?
3. What do the crewhands throw overboard after the dancing in Part One?
(a) The rotten food they have not had a chance to eat.
(b) Any evidence that they have been there.
(c) Any slave who has been disobedient.
(d) The bodies of men who have died below deck.
4. Why does Amari choose to focus on "learning the language of the white man" (54)?
(a) To help herself.
(b) So she can work on self-improvement.
(c) To make the sailor happy.
(d) So the men will not beat her.
5. Where does the ship containing the kidnapped Ewe people make landfall in Part One?
(a) Tybee Island.
(b) Sullivan's Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clay take Myna on his hunting trip in Part Five?
2. How long does Amari fight the pain and possible infection of the beating by Mr. Derby?
3. How does Clay respond when one of his friends touches Myna in Part Five?
4. What does Fiona tell the children about her desire to help them?
5. Where does the ship in Part One ultimately take the captures Ewe people?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)