|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Heisenberg’s main scientific achievement?
2. Where did Heisenberg have his moment of clarity?
3. What happened to Heisenberg immediately after the war?
4. In what direction is Elsinore Castle?
5. In Act 2, how does Margrethe attempt to cut the tension between the two men?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Heisenberg make revisions to his uncertainty paper?
2. What were the conditions under which Heisenberg was allowed to practice science after the war?
3. Where does Heisenberg spend the last months of the war, and why?
4. How was Einstein’s theory important to Heisenberg’s work?
5. What would have happened if Heisenberg’s reactor had gone critical?
6. What does Heisenberg say about his understanding of the bomb?
7. What could have happened to the reactor in Haigerloch?
8. Why didn’t the worst happen to the reactor in Haigerloch?
9. What did Einstein show about measurement?
10. When did Fermi achieve the first self-sustaining chain reaction, in relationship to Heisenberg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Margrethe makes various aside comments regarding Heisenberg. What is her opinion of him? Is it a static opinion, or does it change over the course of the play? If so, how, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Skiing is used as a metaphor throughout the play. Discuss Heisenberg’s assertion that making no decision would lead to death. What is the significance of “swerving” in the context of Copenhagen?
Essay Topic 3
Elsinore is a place with very specific literary roots. What are these roots, according to the play? Research the real-life location. Why might it be an appropriate setting for some of Bohr and Heisenberg’s contributions to science?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)