|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was problematic about Heisenberg’s great discovery?
2. What do the men do at the end of the play?
3. How long did Bohr and Heisenberg work together?
4. From whose work does Heisenberg and Bohr’s own work stem?
5. What does Heisenberg say about the years they worked together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Heisenberg say about his understanding of the bomb?
2. Where does Heisenberg spend the last months of the war, and why?
3. What did people think about Heisenberg’s reaction to Schrödinger’s mechanics?
4. Who oversees Heisenberg’s research in Germany?
5. What does Heisenberg claim to think about his own plan for talking to Bohr about the atomic projects in Copenhagen?
6. What could have happened to the reactor in Haigerloch?
7. What did Heisenberg tell minor Nazi officials?
8. How was Einstein’s theory important to Heisenberg’s work?
9. What was the impetus for Heisenberg’s attaining the chair at Leipzig?
10. How much more time did Heisenberg think he needed to make his reaction work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Uncertainty permeates this play, both in its scientific and prosaic senses. What is the uncertainty at the core of the play? Can the uncertainty truly be compared to scientific uncertainty? Can the issues at stake in the play ever be determined for certain?
Essay Topic 2
Heisenberg states at various points that he knew how to correctly calculate the uranium needed, but that he didn’t do it. What is the evidence that he knew but didn’t act? What is the evidence that he didn’t know how to calculate the number? How does that change the character and the motives he presents here?
Essay Topic 3
Heisenberg makes various explanations for his question to Bohr. What was this question, and how does Heisenberg try to explain it away at various points in the play? Why is it important that he come up with an explanation?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)