|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Heisenberg characterize Bohr?
(a) As a drunk
(b) As a father
(c) As a failure
(d) As a husband
2. Who is Elisabeth?
(a) Bohr’s daughter
(b) Heisenberg’s wife
(c) Heisenberg’s daughter
(d) Heisenberg’s assistant
3. When did Heisenberg’s most important visit to Copenhagen take place?
4. What kind of impression does Heisenberg make on his first stop with Bohr?
(a) A positive one
(b) He already knows everybody
(c) A negative one
(d) A neutral one
5. How has Bohr been treated by the occupying Germans?
(a) They have ignored him
(b) They have become his friends
(c) They have coddled him
(d) They have abused him
6. What does Heisenberg imply Weizsacker might have told Bohr?
(a) Heisenberg wants to make amends
(b) He would find protection at the German embassy
(c) He must hide his work from Margrethe
(d) He needs to flee Denmark
7. What does fission release?
8. How often has Bohr gone sailing since Heisenberg last saw him?
(a) Every summer
(d) Not at all
9. In what area did Bohr make his first big discovery?
(b) Atomic physics
(c) Quantum theory
(d) General mechanics
10. What happened after the SS brought Heisenberg in for questioning?
(a) They let him go
(b) They beat him
(c) They used him as a spy
(d) They put him in a concentration camp
11. What explanation does Bohr give for the number of Heisenberg’s coveted object in Germany?
(a) German funding has been cut
(b) German publications are printing less work
(c) The birthrate goes down during wartime
(d) The Jewish scientists have fled the country
12. How long did Bohr estimate it would take to produce one gram of U-235?
(a) They could do it instantly
(b) A century
(c) Ten years
(d) 26,000 years
13. How old are the characters during the play?
(a) Old age
(b) Middle age
(c) It is unclear
(d) They are dead
14. What is Heisenberg’s justification for staying in Germany?
(a) The German scientists are breaking new ground
(b) He agrees with the Nazi cause
(c) He wants to be close to Bohr
(d) He wants to rebuild German science after the war
15. At the beginning of the play, who is visiting whom?
(a) Bohr is visiting Heisenberg
(b) Heisenberg is visiting Bohr
(c) Margrethe is visiting Bohr
(d) Bohr is visiting Margrethe
Short Answer Questions
1. What is fired at in fission?
2. Who is the elder of the scientists?
3. What is the official reason for Heisenberg’s 1941 visit?
4. What does Heisenberg feel, approaching the door to the Bohr’s home?
5. What is the first thing that Heisenberg thinks he will remain famous for?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)