|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event was Xenophon hosting a party to celebrate in Chapter 3?
2. What does Socrates question Theodote about?
3. How does Xenophon claim Socrates meet his death?
4. How does Charmides act around the weakest of people according to Socrates?
5. How does Socrates teach people with good ambitions according to Xenophon in Book 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say about being a good general?
2. Why does Euthydemus think himself wise, and what does Socrates conclude after conversing with him?
3. How does Socrates try to convince Nicomachides that Antisthenes can succeed as a general?
4. Why is Socrates proud and how does he defend his claim?
5. What does Socrates tell Charmides about his use of his administrative abilities?
6. How does Xenophon justify his claim that Socrates was so devout that he did nothing without divine sanction?
7. What is Socrates' opinion of how courage is acquired?
8. What did Socrates tell Euthydemus about the nature of religiosity in subsection 6 of Chapter 2, Book 4?
9. What does Socrates say about eating in subsection 14 of Chapter 2, Book 3?
10. Describe the conversation about beauty between Socrates and Critobulus in Chapter 3, subsection 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of the editor beginning this collection of Socratic dialogues with Socrates' Defense?
Essay Topic 2
How is the time and place he lived reflected in Socrates' beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
How are the different symbols used throughout "Conversations of Socrates" to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)