|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say is part of the job of a good general?
2. What are you compelled to do if you admire the goodness of another according to Socrates?
3. What does Socrates do to Euthydemus to convince him he needs to be wiser?
4. How does Socrates defend his claim of pride in his ability as a pimp?
5. What does Socrates say about homosexuality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say about being a good general?
2. How does the dinner party of Chapter 3 come to be?
3. How did Socrates improve his associates through philosophical discussion?
4. What do the men at the dinner party claim as the reasons for their pride, and what happens when the men discuss the value of what each man claims to possess?
5. What is Socrates' opinion of how courage is acquired?
6. Why does Euthydemus think himself wise, and what does Socrates conclude after conversing with him?
7. What does Socrates learn about Theodote in Chapter 2, Book 3, Subsection 11, and how does he instruct her?
8. Why does Socrates claim his friends need to learn responsibility before any other virtue?
9. What did Socrates tell Euthydemus about the nature of religiosity in subsection 6 of Chapter 2, Book 4?
10. How does Xenophon justify his claim that Socrates was so devout that he did nothing without divine sanction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the third person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would this book be different if a different point of view were used?
Essay Topic 2
How would the book be different if Xenophon felt that Socrates deserved to die?
Essay Topic 3
How is the time and place he lived reflected in Socrates' beliefs?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)