|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hermogenes say drunkenness is in subsection six?
2. Socrates reasons the world was designed for ______________.
3. What does Socrates believe about courage?
4. What does Socrates believe the Athenians should do?
5. What was Niceratus proud he could do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Socrates proud and how does he defend his claim?
2. In the first subsection of Chapter 2, Book 4, what does Xenophon claim about spending time with Socrates?
3. What does Socrates say about eating in subsection 14 of Chapter 2, Book 3?
4. Why does Socrates claim his friends need to learn responsibility before any other virtue?
5. What does Socrates tell his companions at the dinner party about love in subsection 8 of Chapter 3?
6. What is Socrates' opinion of how courage is acquired?
7. Describe Socrates conversation about self-discipline with Euthydemus.
8. How does the dinner party of Chapter 3 come to be?
9. Why does Euthydemus think himself wise, and what does Socrates conclude after conversing with him?
10. How did Socrates improve his associates through philosophical discussion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the different symbols used throughout "Conversations of Socrates" to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Ischomachus, and why does Socrates feel he reflects the ideal of the truly good man?
Essay Topic 3
How is the time and place he lived reflected in Socrates' beliefs?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)