|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say will allow Antisthenes to gain the needed capacities?
2. What was Niceratus proud he could do?
3. What does Socrates claim is easier about love for the mind?
4. Whom does Socrates have a discussion with about right conduct in subsection 4?
5. What does Socrates say is part of the job of a good general?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Socrates tell Epigenes that he should be concerned about being in poor physical condition?
2. What does Socrates tell his companions at the dinner party about love in subsection 8 of Chapter 3?
3. What does Socrates say about eating in subsection 14 of Chapter 2, Book 3?
4. Describe the conversation about beauty between Socrates and Critobulus in Chapter 3, subsection 5.
5. What did Socrates tell Euthydemus about the nature of religiosity in subsection 6 of Chapter 2, Book 4?
6. What does Socrates claim about the difference between physical love and love of the mind in Chapter 3?
7. Describe Socrates conversation with Pericles in the fifth subsection of Chapter 2, Book 3.
8. How does the dinner party of Chapter 3 come to be?
9. How did Socrates improve his associates through philosophical discussion?
10. Why is Socrates proud and how does he defend his claim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the main themes in this book (charges against Socrates, Socrates' virtue, true good, love and responsibility) and detail its recurrences throughout the book. What does it add to the story? How does it affect the different individuals?
Essay Topic 2
Find two conversations that address the same topic in this collection. Compare and contrast these two anecdotes.
Essay Topic 3
What does Socrates think about poverty, and why?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)