|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Socrates wish to help in his conversation with Aristippus in subsection 8?
2. What event does Xenophon describe to begin his story?
3. Socrates reasons the world was designed for ______________.
4. What does Hermogenes say drunkenness is in subsection six?
5. Socrates wanted his friends to be well-informed on ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Socrates proud and how does he defend his claim?
2. Why does Euthydemus think himself wise, and what does Socrates conclude after conversing with him?
3. What does Socrates say about eating in subsection 14 of Chapter 2, Book 3?
4. How does Socrates try to convince Nicomachides that Antisthenes can succeed as a general?
5. How does Xenophon demonstrate that Socrates displayed his conception of morality and piety by following it in the fourth subsection of Chapter 2, Book 4?
6. Why does Socrates tell Epigenes that he should be concerned about being in poor physical condition?
7. What does Socrates tell his companions at the dinner party about love in subsection 8 of Chapter 3?
8. Why does Socrates claim his friends need to learn responsibility before any other virtue?
9. How does Xenophon justify his claim that Socrates was so devout that he did nothing without divine sanction?
10. Describe the conversation about beauty between Socrates and Critobulus in Chapter 3, subsection 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Socrates think about poverty, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Ischomachus, and why does Socrates feel he reflects the ideal of the truly good man?
Essay Topic 3
How is the concept of the "true good" defined in Memoirs of Socrates, and how do the stories in this chapter reflect this idea?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)