|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Socrates wish to help in his conversation with Aristippus in subsection 8?
2. What does Socrates praise Euthydemus for in spite of previously chiding him?
3. What features do not fade according to Socrates?
4. What does Socrates say is part of the job of a good general?
5. What does Socrates say about homosexuality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men at the dinner party claim as the reasons for their pride, and what happens when the men discuss the value of what each man claims to possess?
2. What is Socrates' opinion of how courage is acquired?
3. What does Socrates learn about Theodote in Chapter 2, Book 3, Subsection 11, and how does he instruct her?
4. What does Socrates say about being a good general?
5. Describe Socrates conversation with Pericles in the fifth subsection of Chapter 2, Book 3.
6. What does Socrates tell Charmides about his use of his administrative abilities?
7. Why does Socrates claim his friends need to learn responsibility before any other virtue?
8. Why is Socrates proud and how does he defend his claim?
9. In the first subsection of Chapter 2, Book 4, what does Xenophon claim about spending time with Socrates?
10. How does the dinner party of Chapter 3 come to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the concept of the "true good" defined in Memoirs of Socrates, and how do the stories in this chapter reflect this idea?
Essay Topic 2
How would the book be different if Xenophon felt that Socrates deserved to die?
Essay Topic 3
How does Socrates instruct others to change throughout this book? Detail the changes he inspires and the reasons behind those changes.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)