|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Dionysodorous come to Athens in Book 3?
2. Socrates claims that having physical love is no indication of ______________.
3. How does Charmides act around the weakest of people according to Socrates?
4. What does Socrates say about homosexuality?
5. What does Socrates do to help Glaucon become a head of state?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Xenophon justify his claim that Socrates was so devout that he did nothing without divine sanction?
2. How does the dinner party of Chapter 3 come to be?
3. Describe the conversation about beauty between Socrates and Critobulus in Chapter 3, subsection 5.
4. What does Socrates say about being a good general?
5. How does Xenophon demonstrate that Socrates displayed his conception of morality and piety by following it in the fourth subsection of Chapter 2, Book 4?
6. Describe Socrates conversation about self-discipline with Euthydemus.
7. Why does Euthydemus think himself wise, and what does Socrates conclude after conversing with him?
8. Why does Socrates tell Epigenes that he should be concerned about being in poor physical condition?
9. In the first subsection of Chapter 2, Book 4, what does Xenophon claim about spending time with Socrates?
10. Why does Socrates claim his friends need to learn responsibility before any other virtue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Find two conversations that address the same topic in this collection. Compare and contrast these two anecdotes.
Essay Topic 2
What charges was Socrates accused and convicted of, and how does Xenophon defend Socrates against each of these charges in "Conversations of Socrates"?
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in "Conversations of Socrates"? Why is this important to the plot overall?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)