|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event was Xenophon hosting a party to celebrate in Chapter 3?
2. What does Socrates believe you must do to be a good democratic administrator?
3. According to Socrates, what happens to physical love as we age?
4. According to Socrates, what is one way to learn what is right?
5. What are the main themes of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Socrates tell Epigenes that he should be concerned about being in poor physical condition?
2. What does Socrates tell Charmides about his use of his administrative abilities?
3. What does Socrates say about being a good general?
4. How does the dinner party of Chapter 3 come to be?
5. Describe Socrates conversation about self-discipline with Euthydemus.
6. How does Xenophon demonstrate that Socrates displayed his conception of morality and piety by following it in the fourth subsection of Chapter 2, Book 4?
7. What do the men at the dinner party claim as the reasons for their pride, and what happens when the men discuss the value of what each man claims to possess?
8. Describe the conversation about beauty between Socrates and Critobulus in Chapter 3, subsection 5.
9. What did Socrates tell Euthydemus about the nature of religiosity in subsection 6 of Chapter 2, Book 4?
10. What do the men at the dinner party do in the sixth and seventh subsections of Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Socrates think about poverty, and why?
Essay Topic 2
How does Xenophon show that Socrates was a good man, and why does he feel this is important?
Essay Topic 3
Investigate "Conversations of Socrates" as an apologia. How does it adhere to and differ from the typical apologia? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as an apologia? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the book as an apologia?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)