|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say about homosexuality?
2. What does Hermogenes delight in?
3. What does Lycon tell Socrates as he is leaving after the discussion?
4. Whom was Callias strongly attracted to in Chapter 3?
5. What does Socrates believe is part of living a well-ordered life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Socrates tell Euthydemus about the nature of religiosity in subsection 6 of Chapter 2, Book 4?
2. In the first subsection of Chapter 2, Book 4, what does Xenophon claim about spending time with Socrates?
3. How did Socrates improve his associates through philosophical discussion?
4. What does Socrates learn about Theodote in Chapter 2, Book 3, Subsection 11, and how does he instruct her?
5. Why is Socrates proud and how does he defend his claim?
6. What does Socrates tell Charmides about his use of his administrative abilities?
7. How does Xenophon justify his claim that Socrates was so devout that he did nothing without divine sanction?
8. How does the dinner party of Chapter 3 come to be?
9. What does Socrates claim about the difference between physical love and love of the mind in Chapter 3?
10. What does Socrates tell his companions at the dinner party about love in subsection 8 of Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Socrates think about poverty, and why?
Essay Topic 2
What charges was Socrates accused and convicted of, and how does Xenophon defend Socrates against each of these charges in "Conversations of Socrates"?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the main themes in this book (charges against Socrates, Socrates' virtue, true good, love and responsibility) and detail its recurrences throughout the book. What does it add to the story? How does it affect the different individuals?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)