|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the young man focused on that Socrates questions in book 3?
2. What does Socrates do to help people avoid mistakes and to teach others?
3. What does Xenophon feel Socrates could do based on individual's needs?
4. What is Socrates talking to Nicomachides about at the start of subsection 4?
5. Socrates argues the gods are concerned with ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Socrates claim his friends need to learn responsibility before any other virtue?
2. What does Socrates tell Charmides about his use of his administrative abilities?
3. How does the dinner party of Chapter 3 come to be?
4. Describe Socrates conversation about self-discipline with Euthydemus.
5. What does Socrates say about eating in subsection 14 of Chapter 2, Book 3?
6. What does Socrates say about being a good general?
7. How did Socrates improve his associates through philosophical discussion?
8. What does Socrates learn about Theodote in Chapter 2, Book 3, Subsection 11, and how does he instruct her?
9. What does Socrates claim about the difference between physical love and love of the mind in Chapter 3?
10. Describe the conversation about beauty between Socrates and Critobulus in Chapter 3, subsection 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Investigate "Conversations of Socrates" as an apologia. How does it adhere to and differ from the typical apologia? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as an apologia? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the book as an apologia?
Essay Topic 2
How does the third person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would this book be different if a different point of view were used?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of the editor beginning this collection of Socratic dialogues with Socrates' Defense?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)