|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hermogenes say he retains his friends?
2. How does Xenophon claim Socrates meet his death?
3. What does Socrates say about homosexuality?
4. What did Socrates do as President of the Assembly?
5. What does Xenophon claim no one should believe about Socrates?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Socrates tell Epigenes that he should be concerned about being in poor physical condition?
2. What did Socrates tell Euthydemus about the nature of religiosity in subsection 6 of Chapter 2, Book 4?
3. Why does Euthydemus think himself wise, and what does Socrates conclude after conversing with him?
4. How do the men at the dinner party react to seeing the passionate kissing between Ariadne and Dionysus?
5. How does Socrates try to convince Nicomachides that Antisthenes can succeed as a general?
6. What do the men at the dinner party claim as the reasons for their pride, and what happens when the men discuss the value of what each man claims to possess?
7. Why does Socrates claim his friends need to learn responsibility before any other virtue?
8. What does Socrates say about eating in subsection 14 of Chapter 2, Book 3?
9. What does Socrates tell his companions at the dinner party about love in subsection 8 of Chapter 3?
10. How does Xenophon justify his claim that Socrates was so devout that he did nothing without divine sanction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Socrates and Xenophon. How are their beliefs and teachings similar and different?
Essay Topic 2
Find two conversations that address the same topic in this collection. Compare and contrast these two anecdotes.
Essay Topic 3
What does Socrates think about poverty, and why?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)