|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates believe about courage?
2. How did Socrates help people when it came to religion?
3. Why did Dionysodorous come to Athens in Book 3?
4. What does Socrates claim all of the men should demonstrate?
5. How does Socrates feel about Pericles (the younger)?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates learn about Theodote in Chapter 2, Book 3, Subsection 11, and how does he instruct her?
2. Describe the conversation about beauty between Socrates and Critobulus in Chapter 3, subsection 5.
3. How does Xenophon justify his claim that Socrates was so devout that he did nothing without divine sanction?
4. What is Socrates' opinion of how courage is acquired?
5. What does Socrates tell Charmides about his use of his administrative abilities?
6. Describe Socrates conversation about self-discipline with Euthydemus.
7. How does the dinner party of Chapter 3 come to be?
8. What does Socrates say about being a good general?
9. What does Socrates claim about the difference between physical love and love of the mind in Chapter 3?
10. What do the men at the dinner party do in the sixth and seventh subsections of Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would the book be different if Xenophon felt that Socrates deserved to die?
Essay Topic 2
How are the different symbols used throughout "Conversations of Socrates" to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
Essay Topic 3
How is Xenophon's "Conversations of Socrates" similar to and different from Plato's "Apology"? Why do these two works warrant a comparison at all?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)