|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Socrates do to make his friends more efficient?
2. According to Socrates, what is one way to learn what is right?
3. What does Socrates do to help people avoid mistakes and to teach others?
4. How does Socrates feel about Pericles (the younger)?
5. What does Socrates say will allow Antisthenes to gain the needed capacities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Socrates conversation about self-discipline with Euthydemus.
2. How does the dinner party of Chapter 3 come to be?
3. Why does Euthydemus think himself wise, and what does Socrates conclude after conversing with him?
4. Why does Socrates tell Epigenes that he should be concerned about being in poor physical condition?
5. What does Socrates tell Charmides about his use of his administrative abilities?
6. What do the men at the dinner party do in the sixth and seventh subsections of Chapter 3?
7. What is Socrates' opinion of how courage is acquired?
8. How does Xenophon demonstrate that Socrates displayed his conception of morality and piety by following it in the fourth subsection of Chapter 2, Book 4?
9. How does Socrates try to convince Nicomachides that Antisthenes can succeed as a general?
10. What does Socrates learn about Theodote in Chapter 2, Book 3, Subsection 11, and how does he instruct her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What charges was Socrates accused and convicted of, and how does Xenophon defend Socrates against each of these charges in "Conversations of Socrates"?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Ischomachus, and why does Socrates feel he reflects the ideal of the truly good man?
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in "Conversations of Socrates"? Why is this important to the plot overall?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)