|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates tell Critobulus he should do to deserve good people in his life?
2. What additional virtue is Socrates credited with having?
3. What does Socrates praise in a homily to show that he loved virtue?
4. What did the gods oppose Socrates doing in his own view?
5. What behavior of Critias and Alcibiades did Socrates not approve of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the main charges that Socrates was accused of at his trial?
2. Why does Euthydemus think himself wise, and what does Socrates conclude after conversing with him?
3. How do Socrates and Critobulus decide on a definition of an estate manager in Chapter 4?
4. What is Socrates' opinion of how courage is acquired?
5. How does Xenophon feel about the accusation that Socrates turned his students against their parents? How does he feel Athens should have felt about Socrates?
6. How did Socrates improve his associates through philosophical discussion?
7. How does Socrates feel about the value of friends?
8. How do the men at the dinner party react to seeing the passionate kissing between Ariadne and Dionysus?
9. What does Socrates tell his companions at the dinner party about love in subsection 8 of Chapter 3?
10. How does Socrates open his defense, and how does he refer to the Oracle of Delphi as part of his argument?
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of the editor beginning this collection of Socratic dialogues with Socrates' Defense?
Essay Topic 2
How does Xenophon show that Socrates was a good man, and why does he feel this is important?
Essay Topic 3
How is foreshadowing used in "Conversations of Socrates"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)