|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates claim he bears none of although his opponents do?
2. According to Socrates, why was he not introducing new deities?
3. According to Socrates,what has not corrupted the youth?
4. What does the editor emphasize should not prevent you from using worldly goods?
5. Why does the Editor present Socrates Defense first?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of friends does Socrates tell Cristobulus that he should set to acquire?
2. How is the anecdote about Critias and Alebiades used to prove that Socrates did not have a negative effect on the youth?
3. Describe the conversation between Pericles and Alcibiades in subsection 2 of Chapter 2, Book 1.
4. How does Socrates help Aristarchus sort through ignorance and deficiencies?
5. How does Xenophon feel about the accusation that Socrates turned his students against their parents? How does he feel Athens should have felt about Socrates?
6. Why doesn't Socrates prepare for his defense before the trial?
7. How does Socrates open his defense, and how does he refer to the Oracle of Delphi as part of his argument?
8. How did Socrates act out of public piety to show his students how to live good lives?
9. How does Socrates' conversation with Aristippus illustrate that he encouraged his friends to be self-disciplined with regard to their bodily desires?
10. In Chapter 2, Book 1, what does the editor clarify about the concepts of self-discipline and free action?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the different symbols used throughout "Conversations of Socrates" to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
Essay Topic 2
What does Socrates think about poverty, and why?
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in "Conversations of Socrates"? Why is this important to the plot overall?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)