|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the problem with the refugees Aristarchus is housing?
2. What does Socrates say is the best defense he could have?
3. What is Crito able to use to his advantage in subsection 9?
4. What is free action according to the editor?
5. What did Socrates prophesy about in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say in response to the charge of corrupting the young?
2. In subsection 1 of Chapter 2, Book 1, what does Xenophon say about Socrates in defense of the charges that he worshiped different gods than the state and introduced new deities?
3. In Chapter 2, Book 1, what does the editor clarify about the concepts of self-discipline and free action?
4. Why is Memoirs of Socrates hard to date? What does the editor believe about the validity of the piece?
5. How does Socrates help Aristarchus sort through ignorance and deficiencies?
6. How is the anecdote about Critias and Alebiades used to prove that Socrates did not have a negative effect on the youth?
7. What does Xenophon note at the opening of Socrates' defense, and whom does he cite as an important source of information?
8. How does Socrates' conversation with Aristippus illustrate that he encouraged his friends to be self-disciplined with regard to their bodily desires?
9. How does Socrates' conversation with Antiphon serve to demonstrate that Socrates loved virtue?
10. How did Socrates' instruction benefit Crito in subsection 9 of Chapter 2, Book 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the time and place he lived reflected in Socrates' beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
How does Xenophon show that Socrates was a good man, and why does he feel this is important?
Essay Topic 3
How is Xenophon's "Conversations of Socrates" similar to and different from Plato's "Apology"? Why do these two works warrant a comparison at all?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)