Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the second subsection of Book 1, what does Xenophon deny Socrates has done?
2. What are the standards of virtue as seen by Socrates?
3. How did Critias and Alcibiades do great damage to Athens?
4. Who is Hermogenes' father?
5. What is the general point of Book 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Socrates act out of public piety to show his students how to live good lives?
2. Why is Memoirs of Socrates hard to date? What does the editor believe about the validity of the piece?
3. What does Socrates tell Critobulus about living in poverty in the second subsection of Chapter 4?
4. According to Xenophon why was Socrates convicted, and how was his fate appropriate?
5. How do the men at the dinner party react to seeing the passionate kissing between Ariadne and Dionysus?
6. What does Xenophon note at the opening of Socrates' defense, and whom does he cite as an important source of information?
7. What did Socrates try to teach Chaerephon and Chaerecrates in Subsection 3 of Chapter 2, Book 2?
8. Why does Socrates argue that those who are well off cannot distance themselves from agriculture?
9. How does Xenophon define the concept to the "true good" in Chapter 2, Book 1?
10. Why doesn't Socrates prepare for his defense before the trial?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Socrates and Xenophon. How are their beliefs and teachings similar and different?
Essay Topic 2
What role does religion play in "Conversations of Socrates"? Why is this important to the plot overall?
Essay Topic 3
How would the book be different if Xenophon felt that Socrates deserved to die?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)