|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say should not be avoided completely on the path of liberty?
2. Ultimately, what is Socrates' Defense?
3. What does Xenophon argue the city of Athens should do to Socrates?
4. What is the problem with the refugees Aristarchus is housing?
5. What does Socrates teach Crito in subsection 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Xenophon why was Socrates convicted, and how was his fate appropriate?
2. Describe the conversation between Pericles and Alcibiades in subsection 2 of Chapter 2, Book 1.
3. How does Socrates try to convince Nicomachides that Antisthenes can succeed as a general?
4. Describe the conversation about why those with equal knowledge do not seem to have equal achievements, as related in the conversation in subsection 20 of Chapter 4 between Socrates and Ischomachus.
5. What does Socrates tell Critobulus about living in poverty in the second subsection of Chapter 4?
6. What does Socrates tell Charmides about his use of his administrative abilities?
7. What does Socrates learn about Theodote in Chapter 2, Book 3, Subsection 11, and how does he instruct her?
8. How does Xenophon define the concept to the "true good" in Chapter 2, Book 1?
9. Why is Memoirs of Socrates hard to date? What does the editor believe about the validity of the piece?
10. What does Ischomachus tell Socrates about his daily activities?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Socrates and Xenophon. How are their beliefs and teachings similar and different?
Essay Topic 2
How would the book be different if Xenophon felt that Socrates deserved to die?
Essay Topic 3
How is foreshadowing used in "Conversations of Socrates"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)