|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Socrates' view on democracy?
2. How did Critias and Alcibiades do great damage to Athens?
3. What does Socrates cite for the court to hear?
4. Ultimately, what is Socrates' Defense?
5. Socrates believes Lamprocles has ample reason to be grateful to _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Memoirs of Socrates hard to date? What does the editor believe about the validity of the piece?
2. According to Xenophon why was Socrates convicted, and how was his fate appropriate?
3. How does Socrates help Aristarchus sort through ignorance and deficiencies?
4. What positive aspects does Socrates list about the possibility of being convicted of the charges brought against him?
5. How does Socrates open his defense, and how does he refer to the Oracle of Delphi as part of his argument?
6. In Chapter 2, Book 1, what does the editor clarify about the concepts of self-discipline and free action?
7. How does Xenophon define the concept to the "true good" in Chapter 2, Book 1?
8. How is the anecdote about Critias and Alebiades used to prove that Socrates did not have a negative effect on the youth?
9. Why does the editor present Socrates' defense first in this collection of Socratic dialogues?
10. How does Socrates' conversation with Antiphon serve to demonstrate that Socrates loved virtue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Ischomachus, and why does Socrates feel he reflects the ideal of the truly good man?
Essay Topic 2
How is the time and place he lived reflected in Socrates' beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
How would the book be different if Xenophon felt that Socrates deserved to die?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)