|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates, what is his financial situation?
2. What does Xenophon argue the city of Athens should do to Socrates?
3. When in his life is Xenophon reported to have written the memoirs?
4. What does Xenophon discuss with Critobulus in Subsection 6?
5. What did the gods oppose Socrates doing in his own view?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Socrates prepare for his defense before the trial?
2. What were the main charges that Socrates was accused of at his trial?
3. What does Xenophon note at the opening of Socrates' defense, and whom does he cite as an important source of information?
4. Describe the conversation between Pericles and Alcibiades in subsection 2 of Chapter 2, Book 1.
5. In subsection 1 of Chapter 2, Book 1, what does Xenophon say about Socrates in defense of the charges that he worshiped different gods than the state and introduced new deities?
6. In Chapter 2, Book 1, what does the editor clarify about the concepts of self-discipline and free action?
7. What does Socrates tell his oldest son when Lamprodes is angry with his mother Xanthippe?
8. How did Socrates' instruction benefit Crito in subsection 9 of Chapter 2, Book 2?
9. Why is Memoirs of Socrates hard to date? What does the editor believe about the validity of the piece?
10. How is the anecdote about Critias and Alebiades used to prove that Socrates did not have a negative effect on the youth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the main topic of conversation at Callias' dinner party in Chapter 3, and how does Socrates feel about this topic?
Essay Topic 2
What does Socrates think about poverty, and why?
Essay Topic 3
How does Xenophon show that Socrates was a good man, and why does he feel this is important?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)