|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the general point of Book 2?
2. Whom is Lamprocles becoming angry with that causes Socrates to teach him?
3. How does Socrates view suffering through free action?
4. What additional virtue is Socrates credited with having?
5. According to Socrates,what has not corrupted the youth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Socrates help Aristarchus sort through ignorance and deficiencies?
2. How does Socrates feel about the value of friends?
3. In subsection 4 of Chapter 2, Book 1, how did Socrates motivate people to start being good?
4. Why did Socrates have an arrogant tone at his trial according to Xenophon?
5. What does Socrates say in response to the charge of corrupting the young?
6. How does Socrates' conversation with Aristippus illustrate that he encouraged his friends to be self-disciplined with regard to their bodily desires?
7. What does Socrates tell Cristobulus he should do in order to deserve good friends who are also good people?
8. Describe the conversation between Pericles and Alcibiades in subsection 2 of Chapter 2, Book 1.
9. How is the anecdote about Critias and Alebiades used to prove that Socrates did not have a negative effect on the youth?
10. What were the main charges that Socrates was accused of at his trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Xenophon's "Conversations of Socrates" similar to and different from Plato's "Apology"? Why do these two works warrant a comparison at all?
Essay Topic 2
What does Socrates think about poverty, and why?
Essay Topic 3
How is the time and place he lived reflected in Socrates' beliefs?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)