|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Critias and Alcibiades do great damage to Athens?
2. Socrates claims he is not a slave to __________.
3. How does Socrates teach his associates they should act in respect to food, drink, sex, and sleep?
4. What does Socrates emphasize about the outcome of the trial?
5. How does Xenophon end his discussion in subsection 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Socrates try to teach Chaerephon and Chaerecrates in Subsection 3 of Chapter 2, Book 2?
2. How does Socrates feel about the value of friends?
3. How did Socrates act out of public piety to show his students how to live good lives?
4. What positive aspects does Socrates list about the possibility of being convicted of the charges brought against him?
5. Why is Memoirs of Socrates hard to date? What does the editor believe about the validity of the piece?
6. How does Socrates open his defense, and how does he refer to the Oracle of Delphi as part of his argument?
7. According to Xenophon why was Socrates convicted, and how was his fate appropriate?
8. How does Socrates' conversation with Aristippus illustrate that he encouraged his friends to be self-disciplined with regard to their bodily desires?
9. How did Socrates' instruction benefit Crito in subsection 9 of Chapter 2, Book 2?
10. What were the main charges that Socrates was accused of at his trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the minor people in this book affect the plot? How would this book be different if one or more of these people were removed?
Essay Topic 2
What does Socrates think about poverty, and why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the main topic of conversation at Callias' dinner party in Chapter 3, and how does Socrates feel about this topic?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)