|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Xenophon explaining at the onset of subsection 4?
2. What does Xenophon argue the city of Athens should do to Socrates?
3. What does Xenophon argue Socrates could not lead people to do?
4. In the second subsection of Book 1, what does Xenophon deny Socrates has done?
5. According to Socrates, why was he not introducing new deities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Socrates have an arrogant tone at his trial according to Xenophon?
2. Why does the editor present Socrates' defense first in this collection of Socratic dialogues?
3. How did Socrates act out of public piety to show his students how to live good lives?
4. What did Socrates try to teach Chaerephon and Chaerecrates in Subsection 3 of Chapter 2, Book 2?
5. Describe the conversation between Pericles and Alcibiades in subsection 2 of Chapter 2, Book 1.
6. How does Socrates' conversation with Aristippus illustrate that he encouraged his friends to be self-disciplined with regard to their bodily desires?
7. How does Socrates' conversation with Antiphon serve to demonstrate that Socrates loved virtue?
8. How does Socrates open his defense, and how does he refer to the Oracle of Delphi as part of his argument?
9. In subsection 1 of Chapter 2, Book 1, what does Xenophon say about Socrates in defense of the charges that he worshiped different gods than the state and introduced new deities?
10. What were the main charges that Socrates was accused of at his trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the third person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would this book be different if a different point of view were used?
Essay Topic 2
How are the different symbols used throughout "Conversations of Socrates" to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in "Conversations of Socrates"? Why is this important to the plot overall?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)