|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of subsection 7, what does Xenophon relate Socrates has done for his friends?
2. What did Meletus see Socrates doing?
3. What are the main charges against Socrates?
4. What does Plato think of Socrates' defense at the trial?
5. Subsection 8 shows Socrates interacting with ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Socrates' opinion of how courage is acquired?
2. Why did Socrates have an arrogant tone at his trial according to Xenophon?
3. How does Socrates feel about the value of friends?
4. What does Xenophon note at the opening of Socrates' defense, and whom does he cite as an important source of information?
5. What does Socrates tell his companions at the dinner party about love in subsection 8 of Chapter 3?
6. Describe Socrates conversation about self-discipline with Euthydemus.
7. What does Socrates learn about Theodote in Chapter 2, Book 3, Subsection 11, and how does he instruct her?
8. How does Socrates try to convince Nicomachides that Antisthenes can succeed as a general?
9. How do Socrates and Critobulus decide on a definition of an estate manager in Chapter 4?
10. Why is Memoirs of Socrates hard to date? What does the editor believe about the validity of the piece?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Xenophon show that Socrates was a good man, and why does he feel this is important?
Essay Topic 2
What role does religion play in "Conversations of Socrates"? Why is this important to the plot overall?
Essay Topic 3
What is the main topic of conversation at Callias' dinner party in Chapter 3, and how does Socrates feel about this topic?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)