|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates praise Euthydemus for in spite of previously chiding him?
(a) His cooking ability.
(b) His generous gift.
(c) His tidy house.
(d) His interest in achieving wisdom.
2. What does Socrates say about homosexuality?
(a) He is disgusted by the idea.
(b) It is a genetic defect.
(c) It is to be expected.
(d) It is impure and debauchery.
3. What does Socrates focus on instead of what is good generally, at the close of Subsection 8?
(a) He focuses on the evils of his fellow man.
(b) He focuses on the good he has done.
(c) He focuses on what things are good for what purpose.
(d) He focuses on his godly nature.
4. Why did Dionysodorous come to Athens in Book 3?
(a) To teach military command.
(b) To seek financial help.
(c) To save his soul.
(d) To kill Socrates.
5. What does Hermogenes delight in?
(a) The goodness and influence of his friends.
(b) The stature he has attained.
(c) The ruination of others.
(d) Military victory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the main themes of Chapter 3?
2. What are you compelled to do if you admire the goodness of another according to Socrates?
3. What did Socrates do as President of the Assembly?
4. What does Xenophon feel Socrates could do based on individual's needs?
5. In subsection 10, Socrates talks to _____________to show he cares for their interests.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates tell Charmides about his use of his administrative abilities?
2. What do the men at the dinner party do in the sixth and seventh subsections of Chapter 3?
3. How does Socrates try to convince Nicomachides that Antisthenes can succeed as a general?
4. How did Socrates improve his associates through philosophical discussion?
5. How does Xenophon demonstrate that Socrates displayed his conception of morality and piety by following it in the fourth subsection of Chapter 2, Book 4?
6. In the first subsection of Chapter 2, Book 4, what does Xenophon claim about spending time with Socrates?
7. Describe Socrates conversation about self-discipline with Euthydemus.
8. What does Socrates tell his companions at the dinner party about love in subsection 8 of Chapter 3?
9. How do the men at the dinner party react to seeing the passionate kissing between Ariadne and Dionysus?
10. Why is Socrates proud and how does he defend his claim?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)