|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Socrates claim makes what is right into what is lawful?
(a) The gods.
(b) The teachers.
(c) The people.
(d) The Assembly.
2. Whom does Socrates have a discussion with about right conduct in subsection 4?
(a) The Oracle of Delphi.
(d) Hippias of Elis.
3. What does Xenophon reveal to us about Theodote in subsection 11?
(a) She is in love with him.
(b) She is a beacon of prudence.
(c) She is very wealthy.
(d) She consorts with anyone persuasive.
4. What did Socrates do as President of the Assembly?
(a) He accepted bribes.
(b) Bullied others in the Assembly.
(c) He barred illegal motions.
(d) Extorted the wealthy.
5. Who comes to entertain the men at Callias' dinner?
(c) A singing group.
(d) A group of actors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Socrates reasons the world was designed for ______________.
2. What are the main themes of Chapter 3?
3. What does Socrates do to help Glaucon become a head of state?
4. What does Socrates believe is part of living a well-ordered life?
5. Socrates claims that having physical love is no indication of ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men at the dinner party do in the sixth and seventh subsections of Chapter 3?
2. How does Xenophon demonstrate that Socrates displayed his conception of morality and piety by following it in the fourth subsection of Chapter 2, Book 4?
3. What does Socrates claim about the difference between physical love and love of the mind in Chapter 3?
4. What did Socrates tell Euthydemus about the nature of religiosity in subsection 6 of Chapter 2, Book 4?
5. What does Socrates learn about Theodote in Chapter 2, Book 3, Subsection 11, and how does he instruct her?
6. Describe the conversation about beauty between Socrates and Critobulus in Chapter 3, subsection 5.
7. What does Socrates say about being a good general?
8. Why is Socrates proud and how does he defend his claim?
9. What does Socrates tell his companions at the dinner party about love in subsection 8 of Chapter 3?
10. What does Socrates tell Charmides about his use of his administrative abilities?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)