|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates question Theodote about?
(a) Her religious practices.
(b) How she finds friends.
(c) Her thoughts on marriage.
(d) Her allegiance to Greece.
2. What does Socrates try and convince Dionysodorous of in Book 3?
(a) There is a plot against his life.
(b) He should have a more expansive view of his job.
(c) There is no God.
(d) He is meant to lead a revolt.
3. Where does Socrates explain to Critobulus you can find beauty?
(a) In no one.
(b) In many things as well as people.
(c) In simple farming.
(d) In death.
4. What does Hermogenes delight in?
(a) The ruination of others.
(b) The stature he has attained.
(c) Military victory.
(d) The goodness and influence of his friends.
5. What does Socrates tell Euthydemus about people without self-discipline?
(a) They rule the world.
(b) He should kill them.
(c) They make great leaders.
(d) They are no better than beasts.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hermogenes say he retains his friends?
2. In subsection 10, Socrates talks to _____________to show he cares for their interests.
3. What was the young man focused on that Socrates questions in book 3?
4. What does Socrates argue men should rank over physical love?
5. What does Socrates believe the Athenians should do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say about eating in subsection 14 of Chapter 2, Book 3?
2. Why is Socrates proud and how does he defend his claim?
3. Describe Socrates conversation with Pericles in the fifth subsection of Chapter 2, Book 3.
4. In the first subsection of Chapter 2, Book 4, what does Xenophon claim about spending time with Socrates?
5. Why does Socrates tell Epigenes that he should be concerned about being in poor physical condition?
6. What do the men at the dinner party do in the sixth and seventh subsections of Chapter 3?
7. Why does Socrates claim his friends need to learn responsibility before any other virtue?
8. How do the men at the dinner party react to seeing the passionate kissing between Ariadne and Dionysus?
9. Describe the conversation about beauty between Socrates and Critobulus in Chapter 3, subsection 5.
10. How does Socrates try to convince Nicomachides that Antisthenes can succeed as a general?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)