|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates claim all of the men should demonstrate?
(a) Their athletic prowess.
(b) Their devotion to Greece.
(c) The value of what they claim to possess.
(d) Their piety.
2. What does Socrates do to Euthydemus to convince him he needs to be wiser?
(a) He tells him the gods told him so.
(b) He speaks in tongues.
(c) He confuses him in conversation.
(d) He bests him in a fight.
3. What does Socrates focus on instead of what is good generally, at the close of Subsection 8?
(a) He focuses on his godly nature.
(b) He focuses on what things are good for what purpose.
(c) He focuses on the evils of his fellow man.
(d) He focuses on the good he has done.
4. What event was Xenophon hosting a party to celebrate in Chapter 3?
(a) A victorious battle by soldiers.
(b) His election to the Senate .
(c) His recent favors from the gods.
(d) Autolycus' victory in the pancration.
5. What was the first thing Socrates said his friends needed?
Short Answer Questions
1. Charmides claims the combination of young beauty and music make him think of _____________.
2. What event does Xenophon describe to begin his story?
3. How does Hermogenes say he retains his friends?
4. What features do not fade according to Socrates?
5. What does Socrates talk with Epigenes about in subsection 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Socrates conversation about self-discipline with Euthydemus.
2. Describe the conversation about beauty between Socrates and Critobulus in Chapter 3, subsection 5.
3. How does Socrates try to convince Nicomachides that Antisthenes can succeed as a general?
4. What does Socrates tell Charmides about his use of his administrative abilities?
5. How did Socrates improve his associates through philosophical discussion?
6. How does Xenophon justify his claim that Socrates was so devout that he did nothing without divine sanction?
7. What does Socrates learn about Theodote in Chapter 2, Book 3, Subsection 11, and how does he instruct her?
8. In the first subsection of Chapter 2, Book 4, what does Xenophon claim about spending time with Socrates?
9. What does Socrates say about eating in subsection 14 of Chapter 2, Book 3?
10. How does Xenophon demonstrate that Socrates displayed his conception of morality and piety by following it in the fourth subsection of Chapter 2, Book 4?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)