|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates believe you must do to be a good democratic administrator?
(a) You must come from a wealthy family.
(b) You must know the people well.
(c) You must curry favor from the gods.
(d) You must be very sly.
2. What does Xenophon reveal to us about Theodote in subsection 11?
(a) She is in love with him.
(b) She consorts with anyone persuasive.
(c) She is a beacon of prudence.
(d) She is very wealthy.
3. Why did Euthydemus remove himself from the group according to Socrates?
(a) To repent of his sins.
(b) To follow a different philosophy.
(c) To avoid embarrassment and learning.
(d) To gain a different perspective.
4. How does Charmides act around the weakest of people according to Socrates?
(a) He acts insane.
(b) He is too shy.
(c) He speaks too loudly.
(d) He is too hard on them.
5. What are you compelled to do if you admire the goodness of another according to Socrates?
(a) Repent your sins.
(b) Question their motives.
(c) Act violently towards others.
(d) Act well to preserve the beloved's goodness.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Xenophon claim Socrates reacted to authority?
2. According to Socrates, what is one way to learn what is right?
3. Socrates reasons the world was designed for ______________.
4. What does Aristippus try to trap Socrates into claiming?
5. Charmides claims the combination of young beauty and music make him think of _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In the first subsection of Chapter 2, Book 4, what does Xenophon claim about spending time with Socrates?
2. How does Socrates try to convince Nicomachides that Antisthenes can succeed as a general?
3. Describe Socrates conversation about self-discipline with Euthydemus.
4. Why does Euthydemus think himself wise, and what does Socrates conclude after conversing with him?
5. How do the men at the dinner party react to seeing the passionate kissing between Ariadne and Dionysus?
6. Why does Socrates tell Epigenes that he should be concerned about being in poor physical condition?
7. What does Socrates tell his companions at the dinner party about love in subsection 8 of Chapter 3?
8. What do the men at the dinner party claim as the reasons for their pride, and what happens when the men discuss the value of what each man claims to possess?
9. Describe the conversation about beauty between Socrates and Critobulus in Chapter 3, subsection 5.
10. What do the men at the dinner party do in the sixth and seventh subsections of Chapter 3?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)