|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates do to help people avoid mistakes and to teach others?
(a) He improves them through philosophical discussion.
(b) He removes them from society.
(c) He teaches them to lie.
(d) He scolds them when they make mistakes.
2. What does Socrates claim all of the men should demonstrate?
(a) Their devotion to Greece.
(b) Their athletic prowess.
(c) The value of what they claim to possess.
(d) Their piety.
3. Whom does Socrates have a discussion with about right conduct in subsection 4?
(c) Hippias of Elis.
(d) The Oracle of Delphi.
4. What was the young man focused on that Socrates questions in book 3?
(a) Being popular.
(c) Becoming a Calvary officer.
(d) The letter of the law.
5. How does Socrates feel about Pericles (the younger)?
(a) He has high hopes for his generalship.
(b) He believes him to be the most pious of all people.
(c) He would like to kill him.
(d) He can't stand him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Socrates claim makes what is right into what is lawful?
2. Why did Dionysodorous come to Athens in Book 3?
3. What does Socrates believe about courage?
4. What was the person Socrates chided upset about?
5. What does Socrates believe is part of living a well-ordered life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Socrates improve his associates through philosophical discussion?
2. How does Xenophon demonstrate that Socrates displayed his conception of morality and piety by following it in the fourth subsection of Chapter 2, Book 4?
3. Why is Socrates proud and how does he defend his claim?
4. What did Socrates tell Euthydemus about the nature of religiosity in subsection 6 of Chapter 2, Book 4?
5. What do the men at the dinner party claim as the reasons for their pride, and what happens when the men discuss the value of what each man claims to possess?
6. How does the dinner party of Chapter 3 come to be?
7. What does Socrates tell Charmides about his use of his administrative abilities?
8. What does Socrates learn about Theodote in Chapter 2, Book 3, Subsection 11, and how does he instruct her?
9. What is Socrates' opinion of how courage is acquired?
10. What does Socrates say about being a good general?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)