|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hermogenes say drunkenness is in subsection six?
(a) A horrific crime.
(b) Man's only solace.
(c) Annoying one's companions.
(d) The best way to live life.
2. How does Socrates teach people with good ambitions according to Xenophon in Book 3?
(a) He tells them a story of the devil.
(b) He tells them jokes.
(c) He teaches them to apply themselves.
(d) He lectures them constantly.
3. What made Euthydemus feel wise?
(a) He had read the writings of poets and sages.
(b) He had made the decision to flee Greece.
(c) He had a vision from the gods.
(d) He had battlefield skills..
4. What was the first thing Socrates said his friends needed?
5. How does Socrates feel about Pericles (the younger)?
(a) He has high hopes for his generalship.
(b) He would like to kill him.
(c) He can't stand him.
(d) He believes him to be the most pious of all people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charmides claims the combination of young beauty and music make him think of _____________.
2. What did the bachelors vow to do after seeing the couple's passionate kissing?
3. How does Xenophon claim Socrates reacted to authority?
4. Whom does Socrates claim makes what is right into what is lawful?
5. What does Socrates do to help people avoid mistakes and to teach others?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Socrates conversation with Pericles in the fifth subsection of Chapter 2, Book 3.
2. In the first subsection of Chapter 2, Book 4, what does Xenophon claim about spending time with Socrates?
3. What do the men at the dinner party do in the sixth and seventh subsections of Chapter 3?
4. What does Socrates say about being a good general?
5. How do the men at the dinner party react to seeing the passionate kissing between Ariadne and Dionysus?
6. Why does Euthydemus think himself wise, and what does Socrates conclude after conversing with him?
7. Why does Socrates claim his friends need to learn responsibility before any other virtue?
8. What did Socrates tell Euthydemus about the nature of religiosity in subsection 6 of Chapter 2, Book 4?
9. Describe the conversation about beauty between Socrates and Critobulus in Chapter 3, subsection 5.
10. How did Socrates improve his associates through philosophical discussion?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)