|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Niceratus proud he could do?
(a) Recite all of the Iliad and the Odyssey.
(b) Run the fastest.
(c) Make women love him.
2. How does Socrates feel about Pericles (the younger)?
(a) He would like to kill him.
(b) He can't stand him.
(c) He has high hopes for his generalship.
(d) He believes him to be the most pious of all people.
3. How does Socrates teach people with good ambitions according to Xenophon in Book 3?
(a) He lectures them constantly.
(b) He teaches them to apply themselves.
(c) He tells them a story of the devil.
(d) He tells them jokes.
4. How does Xenophon feel about spending time with Socrates?
(a) He loathes it.
(b) He feels it is always a service.
(c) He wishes to be elsewhere.
(d) He feels it is a privilege.
5. What was the young man focused on that Socrates questions in book 3?
(a) Being popular.
(b) The letter of the law.
(d) Becoming a Calvary officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Socrates defend his claim of pride in his ability as a pimp?
2. Socrates wanted his friends to be well-informed on ___________.
3. Where does Socrates explain to Critobulus you can find beauty?
4. Whom does Socrates have a discussion with about right conduct in subsection 4?
5. What does Socrates focus on instead of what is good generally, at the close of Subsection 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Xenophon demonstrate that Socrates displayed his conception of morality and piety by following it in the fourth subsection of Chapter 2, Book 4?
2. Why is Socrates proud and how does he defend his claim?
3. How does the dinner party of Chapter 3 come to be?
4. What does Socrates learn about Theodote in Chapter 2, Book 3, Subsection 11, and how does he instruct her?
5. Why does Socrates claim his friends need to learn responsibility before any other virtue?
6. Describe the conversation about beauty between Socrates and Critobulus in Chapter 3, subsection 5.
7. In the first subsection of Chapter 2, Book 4, what does Xenophon claim about spending time with Socrates?
8. What is Socrates' opinion of how courage is acquired?
9. Describe Socrates conversation with Pericles in the fifth subsection of Chapter 2, Book 3.
10. What did Socrates tell Euthydemus about the nature of religiosity in subsection 6 of Chapter 2, Book 4?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)