|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates talk with Epigenes about in subsection 12?
(a) The afterlife.
(b) His snobby attitude.
(c) His poor physical condition.
(d) A job he has in mind for him.
2. What made Euthydemus feel wise?
(a) He had read the writings of poets and sages.
(b) He had a vision from the gods.
(c) He had made the decision to flee Greece.
(d) He had battlefield skills..
3. What was the young man focused on that Socrates questions in book 3?
(a) The letter of the law.
(b) Becoming a Calvary officer.
(c) Being popular.
4. What does Socrates claim all of the men should demonstrate?
(a) The value of what they claim to possess.
(b) Their piety.
(c) Their athletic prowess.
(d) Their devotion to Greece.
5. Whom was Callias strongly attracted to in Chapter 3?
(a) His own mother.
(b) The wife of his best friend.
(c) The boy Autolycus.
(d) A ghost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say about homosexuality?
2. What does Socrates do to help people avoid mistakes and to teach others?
3. Socrates claims that having physical love is no indication of ______________.
4. What does Socrates believe the Athenians should do?
5. What was Niceratus proud he could do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say about eating in subsection 14 of Chapter 2, Book 3?
2. What does Socrates claim about the difference between physical love and love of the mind in Chapter 3?
3. Describe Socrates conversation with Pericles in the fifth subsection of Chapter 2, Book 3.
4. What do the men at the dinner party do in the sixth and seventh subsections of Chapter 3?
5. Why does Socrates claim his friends need to learn responsibility before any other virtue?
6. How do the men at the dinner party react to seeing the passionate kissing between Ariadne and Dionysus?
7. Why does Euthydemus think himself wise, and what does Socrates conclude after conversing with him?
8. Describe Socrates conversation about self-discipline with Euthydemus.
9. What does Socrates tell his companions at the dinner party about love in subsection 8 of Chapter 3?
10. How does Socrates try to convince Nicomachides that Antisthenes can succeed as a general?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)